• You cannot reply to this topic

learning guitar Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Epic win 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Yardsalesniper312

Post icon  Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:26 PM

hey guys Im learning to play guitar and i need help to read tab and simple tabs for me to play.

#2 User is offline   TyTy 

• Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:53 PM

I suck at guitar, I broke a string and it snapped my pinky, ow!
-Ty

#3 User is offline   mtaylor 

• Lacking Creativity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mtaylor

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:09 AM

Take lessons. It helps.

<Insert Sig Here>

#4 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:59 AM

Learn Theory. It's the basis of music and songwriting. Get Music Theory for Dummies. It's a great book. Also at Wal-Mart they have these big chord chart posters- snag one of those.

Also Ultimate-Guitar.com is the best tab site on the interwebs.
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

#5 User is offline   Epic win 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:00 AM

thanks.

View Postmtaylor, on Jul 31 2008, 02:09 AM, said:

Take lessons. It helps.

thanks but i will just syphon off the internet :D

#6 User is offline   TREE FITTY 

• Time to get to business...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TIPPMANN6791

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:35 AM

You can't just syphon off the internet. Trust me, I know, because I did it.

Theory helps you play better, write tabs better, CORRECT PEOPLE's TABS, write your own riffs and songs, and it helps you understand how to change keys, transpose different instruments <not ALL instruments play the same... key lets say. Not the same pitch. You MUST tune to one another>

Sure you can just learn to play tabs, but trust me that is NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I did it for a year, and yeah I could do it, but I didn't know any technique whatsoever. I didn't know proper form and I didn't know chords, definitions of words, etc. You HAVE TO LEARN THE TECHNICAL WAY TO BE ANY GOOD.

Unless you're content with being mediocre =) Kidding.

Get a teacher, learn drills and skills, practice technique and form, learn your key signatures, learn what scales are, arpeggios, cadences, harmonics, heck go farther and learn how a guitar even works, learning ALL of that will help you to play and sound better. I am building a custom guitar, made with wood I chose from because of the sound qualities, strings, neck bolt on or solid, etc.

You get the picture. LEARN BY THE BOOKS AND THE TEACHERS, THAT's WHY THEY ARE THEEEERRREEE AHHHHH.
You're welcome for saving you from the worst mistake of your life. Sike again.

did I die for a second there?...

#7 User is offline   C0N0R 

• whose the guy who horked our clothes eh?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mad Sabre

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:47 AM

learn the boring stuff first (scales, chords and so on) before you start to move on to harder music, it makes it tons easier and when you understand the music better you can play better.

having previous musical experience really helped me, good luck to ya
SO's own Guitar player/luthier (builder), ask me any questions about guitars or guitar building.
brownie points-15
Gear- Jackson DX10D with OFR, Tremol-no, and concentric pots. Schecter omen 6 with... wait.. wrong forum..
Hope you plan on keeping it, resale on big pickups is dropping faster than your mom's skirt-aqua__scummm

#8 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:08 PM

e|--this is the thinnest string of your guitar-------------------------------------------
B|----------------------------------------------------------6---------------------6------------
G|----------------------------------------------------------7----------------7-----------------
D|----------------------------------------------------------7-----------7----------------------
A|----------------------------------------------------------5-------5--------------------------
E|--this is the thickest string of your guitar--------------------------------------------

Tabs are read from left to right. The first set of numbers is a chord. When numbers are directly on top of each other, play them all at once. The next set of nunmbers are played one at a time. See how it works?

This post has been edited by Philipp122: 31 July 2008 - 02:09 PM

#9 User is offline   dagger boy 98c 

• Expect the unexpected
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:dagger boy 98c

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:39 PM

Practice practice practice!!! thats all i can say. you have to get through the first few years of learning technique and playing style. Many get discouraged but keep on playing. After that you start to really pick up on playing ability. Its so much fun, and its great to wow your friends.

dagger boy 98c :laugh:

#10 User is offline   Epic win 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:46 PM

thanks. oh yeah and 80 percent of my friends dont like guitar.

This post has been edited by Epic win: 31 July 2008 - 02:46 PM

#11 User is offline   C0N0R 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:15 PM

practicing daily is the only way to get really good quickly (in my opinion)

i played for a month on and off maybe 3 times a week, and never showed ANY improvement until i started playing ATLEAST 30 minutes a day, now i average 30minutes-hour a day.
SO's own Guitar player/luthier (builder), ask me any questions about guitars or guitar building.
brownie points-15
Gear- Jackson DX10D with OFR, Tremol-no, and concentric pots. Schecter omen 6 with... wait.. wrong forum..
Hope you plan on keeping it, resale on big pickups is dropping faster than your mom's skirt-aqua__scummm

#12 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:05 PM

View PostEpic win, on Jul 31 2008, 05:46 PM, said:

thanks. oh yeah and 80 percent of my friends dont like guitar.

They don't like playing or they don't like the instrument?

#13 User is offline   REBELS_PEACHZ 

• I have ADD, you wouldn't understand....LOOK A SQUIRREL!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:PEACHZ

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:10 PM

Still kinda learning myself. Had my acoustic for about a year and just got my electric this Christmas. My advice is pretty simple.....BE PATIENT
It's frustrating, difficult and definitely takes alot of practice to get the hang of it. Like it's been said, 20-30 minutes a day is huge to your improvement. Also if you're up for getting to know music you really like, get a guitar book by said artist. Yeah you have to pay for it, but at least then you get the actual chords or tab from the artists themselves. Get one just for something to practice and a goal for yourself. Good luck, hope you stick with it.
Official Sabre #75 If We Cant Do It, It Doesnt Need To Be Done!
Christian Paintballer
Tippmann Owner's Club #112

#14 User is offline   C0N0R 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:30 PM

what kind of guitar are you getting?
brownie points-15

#15 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:43 PM

Stick with it, and soon enough you'll find that one thing that makes it all worth it. Of course, a true guitarist always strives for self-improvement, and you'll push for something more, always trying to pursue your true inspiration. For me, the first lick I played that got me completely hooked on guitar was the first solo of Knockin' on Heaven's Door vy Guns N' Roses. Once you get the basic down and find your niche in music, you'll start learning all of your favorite songs. Your favorite artists will literally influence you because you're always striving to play the music they play. You'll develop your own style. It's inevitable. Don't ever let anyonetell you that you can't play the guitar, and don't ever let you tell yourself that you're not the guitar-playing kind of guy. No one has what they call "natural talent". THe best iomprovisers you will ever hear all got their persoanl style from other artists.

Always stay on your own track. If you like a certain kind of music, but most of your friends don't, always keep listening to it because that's YOUR influcence and it's what YOU want. My favorite bands are Guns N' Roses, Pantera, Velvet Revolver, Alice in Chains, Motley Crue, and Black Label Society, so my influcences are Zakk Wylde, Slash, Dimebag Darrell, Mick Mars, Jerry Cantrell, Dave Kushner, Izzy Stradlin, and two of my other big influcences happen to be Hendrix and Jimmy Page.

The reason I'm telling you all of this is so that you know that if you ever feel discouraged, don't ever think for one swecond that you can't do it because that's wrong. Hendrix, Les Paul, Slash, Page, Stradlin, Van Halen, they've all said at one time or another how they remember how unbearably frustrated they had gotten at times while learning to play guitar. it's all normal. Don't ever give up; learning to play the guitar is one of the best things you can ever do as the guitar is a life-long companion and you'll love it forever once you get good :D.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users