• You cannot reply to this topic

First Aid?

#1 User is offline   theLizzard 

• I feel loved
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:theLizzard

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:15 AM

Is anyone else looking at getting first aid certified partially (or mostly) because of their paintball playing? I'm going to get renewed this year. I have (thankfully) never been at a field where CPR, mouth-to-mouth or other first aid needed to be performed, but... Let's face it, the fields have their own hidden dangers (I think it was Enfilade who told me about almost getting impaled on a piece of rebar while sliding into cover) and with the physical exertion comes the possibility of heart attacks, especially in the older crowd.

Perhaps some of you might want to look into it (especially high schoolers! Your school health class should offer the training and certification for FREE!) Let's just hope we never have to use the training.
Good luck, Goldy.
ZombieAtak rules.
Z?
"Sometime from now you'll bow to pressure, some things in life you cannot measure by degrees"
"The nerd is an empire..." -Legato

#2 User is offline   ekim98 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ekim98

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:22 PM

I'm a vol. fireman and a certified First Responder so I'm covered there. Last year at Bear Claw Paintball field in Tenn. I stood up to quickly under a tree branch and a sharp branch cut the top of my head - blood everywhere. A team from Georgia mostly EMT's & Paramedic's came to the rescue and put a butterfly bandage on for me after cleaning it with sterile water and an antiseptic<sp?. Had a headache but was able to play about a 1/2 hour later. With the training those guys have they probably could have done surgery if needed, they where great. I thing everybody should have basic first aid.
Team Headache Ky. Div

Diablo Oweners.com
Mongoose Legion I Special Forces

I shoot a 98 Custom, Phantom pump,Tactmark M16-magazine feed, Diablo Mongoose
Some just as good, but none better IMO

#3 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:47 PM

Dept of Corrections are First Responders as well...but we also are trained in the use of Lethal Force...Wow...I can give life and take it away....MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#4 User is offline   theLizzard 

• I feel loved
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:48 AM

View Postdruidsdecendant, on Jan 4 2007, 11:47 PM, said:

Dept of Corrections are First Responders as well...but we also are trained in the use of Lethal Force...Wow...I can give life and take it away....MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

God mode?

I'm glad to see that there are people out there with the training. Once I finish my A+ Cert, I'm making the First Aid re-up the next priority.
Good luck, Goldy.
ZombieAtak rules.
Z?
"Sometime from now you'll bow to pressure, some things in life you cannot measure by degrees"

#5 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:08 AM

View PosttheLizzard, on Jan 5 2007, 07:48 AM, said:

View Postdruidsdecendant, on Jan 4 2007, 11:47 PM, said:

God mode?

God respects my authora-tie!!! :dodgy: LMAO...
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#6 User is offline   BombTech 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Bomb Tech

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:26 AM

RE the 1st Aid issue. While I'm new to the paintball community, I have an extensive background in tactics (former US Marine and former SWAT team member) and EMS (EMT and First Responder Instructor). When I recently participated in my 1st paintball game, I attached a military (surplus) "Kit, First Aid, Individual..." (don't you just love the military way of describing something) :rolleyes: to my web gear along with my reload canisters etc. Just in case.

These are very accessable and cheap. Since then a few of my buddys have added them to their regular gear as well.

Also, the cell phone issue is very valid as well. Just remember that when playing in remote areas that 9-1-1 can't always pinpoint your location via cell phone call like they can from a land line. Be sure to have good directions you can provide.

Play Safe!!

#7 User is offline   theLizzard 

• I feel loved
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:32 AM

View PostBombTech, on Jan 5 2007, 10:26 AM, said:

When I recently participated in my 1st paintball game, I attached a military (surplus) "Kit, First Aid, Individual..." (don't you just love the military way of describing something) :rolleyes: to my web gear along with my reload canisters etc. Just in case.

Hmmm... that's an idea. How good are the kits/what do they contain? I've been looking at getting a pretty comprehensive camping first aid kit (including stitch kit and the like) but they're pretty expensive at places like Gander Mountain or Cabella's.
Good luck, Goldy.
ZombieAtak rules.
Z?

#8 User is offline   ekim98 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ekim98

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:07 AM

Hmmm... that's an idea. How good are the kits/what do they contain? I've been looking at getting a pretty comprehensive camping first aid kit (including stitch kit and the like) but they're pretty expensive at places like Gander Mountain or Cabella's.

Check out "www.galls.com", they are a good source. Our Fire Dept get some of our stuff there. Most of that stuff is a little expense but I think there prices are a little better. Or check with your local fire dept. and see if they have a good source

This post has been edited by ekim98: 05 January 2007 - 10:08 AM

Team Headache Ky. Div

Diablo Oweners.com
Mongoose Legion I Special Forces

I shoot a 98 Custom, Phantom pump,Tactmark M16-magazine feed, Diablo Mongoose
Some just as good, but none better IMO

#9 User is offline   SHOOT EM UP GIRL STYLE 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHOOT EM UP GIRL STYLE

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:15 PM

I always keep a first aid kit in my bag just incase. Not anything fancy, but it helps. Cell phone doesn't leave my side just in case something serious happends on the field.
"Who I once was, you are. Who I am, you'll become" - skeleton.
The Great Meggorbskovich

#10 User is offline   Dr. Wiggy 

• "God. Duty. Honor. Country."
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dr. Wiggy

Post icon  Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:57 PM

I don't have a cell phone, but I'm going to put a first aid kit together as soon as I get my vest..........

I don't have enough pockets to carry one as it is now............

God Bless,
Doc

The honorable freak of nature; Dr. Wiggy presiding.
Posted Image
The "Suicidal Ref"

Become Elite. Don't Cheat.

#11 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:02 PM

am taking classes to become an rn then ill have the power. betta not take me out in a game or i might "forget" how to save ya when ya "accidently" fall down lol.

yeah i reccomend everyone taking a few classes or atleast read some online articles on first aid.

#12 User is offline   dacheat.de 

• It's true because Mr. Brezhnev says it is!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:DACHEAT

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:19 PM

my old group kept a first aid kit out by the dead box. i don't have a group now, but i'll make sure one of the team is trained and we have a kit by the box. besides a cellphone, there's always the first aid kit. also, i recommend stocking up on neosporin and ace bandages, because there's more twisted ankles and small cuts due to branches and thorns than anything else. maybe keep an ankle splint at the dead box?
"I gotta get me some o' dems Cheatcakes!"
-[i]Strong Bad

#13 User is offline   robster 

• I still shoot people after I got out of the Army and u can 2
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:robster

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:57 PM

Usually its a good thing to do is Ask before a game starts, if anyone has any health issues or allergic to anything. If you play on a team you should have each person on the team fill out a brief health history with contact numbers and Dr info. It'd suck to find out that your best friend was allergic to bees after the fact.

Of course this is a good idea when playing anytime We usually have a few EMT's around. I myself am CPR, AED and first aid trained. BUt that don't mean a thing if you all don't go over the rules if "what happens when"

Just like in real you can screw some one up if you don't know what your doing so never pretend. And have a back up plan. Sometimes just keeping them calm and still while some one gets help will be all that is needed.

#14 User is offline   Not_You 

• Lather, Rinse, Repeat as Desired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:98customizer

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:48 PM

i believe the red cross has a class for like $20.

you should have to put sertain medical information on the wavier.
Group: Banned #2
Pirate - "Seriously, I hope you hit this kid over the head with something very, very heavy. Like a truck."

#15 User is offline   Octavious 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:37 PM

CPR, First Aid, AED (No AED on or near the field tho) Certified... Reason being for my job.. As well as Lifeguard certification...well re-doing that shortly.

I think its a good idea to have atleast 2 people at the field that know CPR and First Aid.. That way, incase one of them gets injured, the other can administer help.

Well in the mean-time, we used the best looking clean article of clothing to wrap the wounds....So from now on, I carry a Pod Pack, usually containing just 2 pods (which contain a first aid kit, burn kit (sunburn), thermal blanket). It all fits nicely and securely within 2 pods... and just to go a bit "Overboard" but just keeping things safe, I also carry a Pocket Mask for CPR... That attaches to the belt loop, or sometimes I stuff in one of the empty pod pouches.. Or at the very least if I want to conserve some space, I carry the disposable ones, they are like 2.00$ a piece I believe.

Always safe than sorry! And thats when I ref too.. No excuses why it should be left a ways away and out away from the action. Never know when you'll need it on the spot.

-Oct

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users