• +

Easy Hopper Silencing Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Dom 

• Aggressive Sniper - Triple Militia
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Cinder Crush

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:06 AM

Just a tip for you guys I tried out on my hopper the other day. I have the a5 with the x7 low pro hopper. Unscrewed it and took it all apart, then coated the entire inside with 2 thick coats of Liquid Tape. You can find this at any electronics store, its basically a paint on rubber coating. The silencing it provides isnt huge but I noticed a pretty significant noise reduction, without much of a hopper capacity loss. I think I paid 5 bucks for the bottle of liquid tape, I had it laying around the house and just figured I would give it a try to see if it worked and I was pretty happy with the results. Let me know what you guys think.

#2 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:17 AM

You can also do the same thing with layers of felt.

-Tenacious

#3 User is offline   Dom 

• Pip

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:33 PM

Yeah I toyed back and forth with the felt thing and eventually decided against it. I just never really felt like going to the store and getting the fabric and then going through the pain in cutting it into the proper shapes. Then glueing it and hoping the glue lasts. Felt also has a tendency to shed and I dont want little hairs getting into my marker. Im not saying felt is a bad idea, I just decided to try an alternative. Felt will definitely silence the hopper alot better, but I think liquid tape is a pretty good alternative if you have any hesitancy towards using felt.

#4 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

thats a slick idea..

too bad i dont have a cyclone on my 98 anymore...
Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#5 User is offline   Mehphisto 

• JUST A SMALL TOWN GIRL
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

I don't really understand why people try so hard to silence their hopper. If you're so close that they'll notice I'm sure they'll hear your foot steps or something anyway.
Damn it feels good to be a gangster.

ELITESPORTS OT
The only original OT team

#6 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

Good idea. Any chance you have any pictures or something?

#7 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:11 PM

View PostMehphisto, on Feb 6 2010, 07:54 PM, said:

If you're so close that they'll notice I'm sure they'll hear your foot steps or something anyway.

Unless you're just around the corner, stationary, and you shifting your weight moves some balls in your hopper and lets them know where you are.

-Tenacious

#8 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:28 PM

View PostTenacious221, on Feb 6 2010, 10:11 PM, said:

View PostMehphisto, on Feb 6 2010, 07:54 PM, said:

If you're so close that they'll notice I'm sure they'll hear your foot steps or something anyway.

Unless you're just around the corner, stationary, and you shifting your weight moves some balls in your hopper and lets them know where you are.

-Tenacious

I've heard of people doing similar things with extra pods - felt sounds awkward for that too.

#9 User is offline   Myque Ace 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Myque Ace

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

I haven't done it but some guys at the local field used those rubbery netting type mats to line drawers and shelves with to quiet their hopper. They're easier clean and wont leave little hairs like felt would. Just another option.

This post has been edited by Myque Ace: 09 February 2010 - 01:05 PM

#10 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:08 PM

View PostMyque Ace, on Feb 9 2010, 01:04 PM, said:

I haven't done it but some guys at the local field used those rubbery netting type mats to line drawers and shelves with to quiet their hopper. They're easier clean and wont leave little hairs like felt would. Just another option.

Yeah I thought about that before...I also considered something similar to put on the back of my stock.
Just after putting my Zero Kick Hammer in my 98C I was messing around with practicing snap shooting and noticed the stock's butt tended to slide out of position if I went too fast...would something grippy help there, or would it just catch when I'm actually wearing camo?

#11 User is offline   Dom 

• Pip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:19 AM

I dont have any pictures but i'll try and get some on here later if I remember. That means I have to take my hopper apart again. To be honest though the hopper now just has a glossy black interior instead of the dull plastic black. I dont think pictures will do you any good.

and cdrinkh...it couldnt hurt to add something back there. Depending on how much grip you're looking for you could do a few things. The cabinet insulation is a good idea but i doubt it would hold up over time. If you want something really sticky go down to the local skate shop and pick up some Grip Tape (thats the stuff they put on top of skateboards) You can even get it already in a camo pattern. This stuff is also meant to last, and can take some serious abuse. Also non-skid is a similiar product you can get from home depot or any other hardware store. Note though, this stuff is essentially sandpaper and will ruin your clothes eventually. If I were you I would just practice maintaining positive control of your weapon though.

#12 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:17 AM

View PostDom, on Feb 10 2010, 10:19 AM, said:

I dont have any pictures but i'll try and get some on here later if I remember. That means I have to take my hopper apart again. To be honest though the hopper now just has a glossy black interior instead of the dull plastic black. I dont think pictures will do you any good.

and cdrinkh...it couldnt hurt to add something back there. Depending on how much grip you're looking for you could do a few things. The cabinet insulation is a good idea but i doubt it would hold up over time. If you want something really sticky go down to the local skate shop and pick up some Grip Tape (thats the stuff they put on top of skateboards) You can even get it already in a camo pattern. This stuff is also meant to last, and can take some serious abuse. Also non-skid is a similiar product you can get from home depot or any other hardware store. Note though, this stuff is essentially sandpaper and will ruin your clothes eventually. If I were you I would just practice maintaining positive control of your weapon though.

Haha yeah I was gonna say so ... :comp:

I did fine with it in game, this was just messing around with my t-shirt...maybe it did better in my supply sergeant stuff (a bit looser/dif't. material)

#13 User is offline   randomness 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:randomness

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:38 AM

Instead of felt you can try Craft Foam. It usually can be found at your local wal-mart in the craft section. The kind you want has a peel away back and is self adhesive. Way better than felt because there are no fabric fibers to gunk up anything.

Kind of like this...
"I do as I please, ... , and believe me, what I do is always well done..." - The Count of Monte Cristo

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Animal Mother 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:///Animal Mother///

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:35 AM

Cool idea.

#15 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:59 PM

View Postrandomness, on Feb 15 2010, 12:38 AM, said:

Instead of felt you can try Craft Foam. It usually can be found at your local wal-mart in the craft section. The kind you want has a peel away back and is self adhesive. Way better than felt because there are no fabric fibers to gunk up anything.

Kind of like this...

Yeah I know what you mean...I was thinking the "squishy" foam netting you might put on shelving but my worry with a hopper would be that the balls get stuck on it and don't roll down as freely...would work great in a pod though for sure!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users