Special Ops Paintball: Sci Fi Scenario/Campaign...would this fly? - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sci Fi Scenario/Campaign...would this fly? Asking people's opinions of a newish type of scenario/campaign Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Opinion of this type of campaign? Please choose only one of the first 3 (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you participate in such a campaign?

1. Yes, Absolutely! (2 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. I might give it a Try (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. No way (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Reduce the "RPG"ness and it would be fine (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Add more RPG elements (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Give players more opertunities to save cash by helping with production (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Let people use thier own guns, period (2 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

8. Reduce Story elements (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Other (please pose sugestion) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   SPEDcial Forces 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

OK, so after playing way too much mass effect 2, watching too much firefly, and being out of the game due to my complaints about regular paintball (everyone has the same range, everyone has too much ammo, and there aren't enough "hidden treasures" to be found around the field to make things interesting) I had an idea. A Sci-fi based campaign run like something between a LARP and a paintball game. Not all the actual "role playing" of a LARP, nor the classes, you'd still be mostly shooting and scouting like in a normal woods game. The main thing would be having lots of DIFFERENT equipment choices, and somewhat limited ammo, but with extra clips and creats located around the field (think video game-ish here), walls that can be blown up, armor, even possibly vehicles

This is sort of long winded, so I'll divide it into afew different parts, brief story premise first gameplay and equipment specifics/rules, then how one could actually go about doing this. Read what you like.

BRIEF UNDEVELOPED STORYLINE:

short version: you are a ground team on alien planets looking for resources to keep your ship alive.

It's the future. A solar system with several habitable/terraformed planets have been found there. Colonists were sent, cryogenically frozen. They unfroze, and something of some sort went wrong, leaving few survivors and most of the leadership dead. The ships, among other things, lost power to their guns, so this didn't become a big stellar dogfight. Instead, the survivors broke up into factions and decided to try to survive, collecting elements for maintaining thier ships and building colonies. Ground teams are used to scout planets and moons and hunt for anything they might find valuable. Often they come into conflict with each other.

Loopholes will be stamped out to allow for more battles and more story added if needed.

GAMEPLAY:

short version: all day and all night games, starting weapons kind of suck, limited ammo but extra on field, upgrades buyable with credits (in game money)

-There will often be more than two sides to a fight. the scenario/objective would change game to game.

-Games will last a while, usually all day and into the night, with a couple of breaks for food.

-Ammo will be limited from the start, but usually there will be extra supplies can be found around the field. Ammo can be collected from the pods of fallen enemies.

-Players will be divided into ground team members, freelancers, and NPCs
--Freelancers just get to use a semi or pump set to 230 fps with a magazine capacity no more than 15 rounds (ship issue carbine), these are folks who just show up without a quick online registration. They can also register at the end of the game and use any credits they've found.
--Ground Team Member's may upgrade thier weapon to either stay at the lower FPS limit and use something capable of 20 BPS and a 50 round hopper (SMG), or stick with the 15 rounds and crank the FPS up to 300 (Rifle). They may also purchase better equipment with credits they find/earn on the battlefield.
--NPCS are walk in's given equipment relevant to the scenario. usually they represent hostile aliens or colonists.

-Credits are like money. Anything worth money will have a tag on it with how many credits it's worth. Usually pieces of alien technology, rare minerals, ect... total credits brought back to base are split among members.

-Credits can be spend on any number of things, weapon allowances (Assault rifle=300 fps and 50 round hopper, sniper=use of first strike rounds, Heavy weapons means use of ONE heavy weapon of your choosing like a blunderbuss, grenade/missile launcher, or a 300fps gun with a 100+ round ammo capacity all must wigh at least 10lbs), armor (head shot only, very expensive), extra ammo clips/pods, drones (RV vehicles with camera), vehicles, grenades, smoke grenades, medkits, anything you can think of, we could assign a price to it.

-some equipment you will have to come up with a convincing physical representation for, and/or bring yourself (notably drones, vehicles, heavy weapons, and armor)

-When your shot, could till one minute, if a medkit isn't used on you by then, walk back to your base. Leave extra clips/pods, credits that are on you, and in-game items behind.

-You can return to base to stash items.

-There may be other things you might want to/need to get (blueprints, intelegence, fuel, etc...

HOW TO ACTUALLY DO THIS:

First thing would be to start small. Smallish scenarios, fewer heavy weapons, vehicles would probably just be mountain bikes and the like. Costuming would be up to players, Sci-fi costumes would be encouraged, but not required. Paintball masks already look pretty sci-fi. A simple vest with your ground teams color/emblem on it would be fine, might make up a bunch in advance. Obviously a place would be needed, or multiple places for different scenarios, ideas? If it grows, it grows, if not, it could stay small and fun, either is cool. The main thing would be to let players be creative and accommodate that. Price discounts for setting up the fields (like making some of them look alien, baloons with streamers as wierd plant forms, lighting for night fights ect...)

So overall, what do people think? Good Idea, bad idea? I'm not actually intending to do this anytime soon, just throwing the concept out there and seeing what people think.
"A bad day of paintball is one where I never get hit. If I don't look like I got date-raped by an octopus by the end of the day, thats a bad thing."

So you want to know why it's called an A5?

If I could assemble a new regulator for a paintball gun, I could build a liver. How hard could it be?

Automaggot #79

I'll bet you $10 the above post is telling you to buy an automag.

#2 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:59 PM

First and foremost, you have to have an event that people want to go to.

People want to use their own gear. Everybody's different. Some want their stock class pump, some want their Tippmann, some want their electro. Some want to carry paint in ten round tubes, others want to carry half a case in 140 round pods.

You really will have to open the game to anyone.

The other major issue is people like getting what they pay for. If I buy a case of paint, I want a case of paint. I don't want to leave my pods behind when I get hit.

It's one thing to leave out free paint for people to pick up; it's another to try and make that the sole source of paint, since everyone will have to pay for it through entry or paint costs.

Get enough players to turn out, and the multiple sides ( >2 ) would be a lot of fun. The ideas of finding important supplies and props in the field are also good.

I like elaborate and detailed scenarios, but not when I can't play how I want to play. Some days I feel like going light and run with a pump or pistol. Some days I want to shoot some paint.
Member of Team Akkadian

#3 User is offline   nishnawbe-aski 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Nish

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:09 PM

i think it would be a fun day but no breaks for food, i mean food at your base, refuel when needed but no stopping the game. i would join in

#4 User is offline   Zz Loth zZ 

• Wellst Obviously We Have a Rapist
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:ZZLOTHZZ

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

View PostThalion, on 10 August 2010 - 04:59 PM, said:

First and foremost, you have to have an event that people want to go to.

People want to use their own gear. Everybody's different. Some want their stock class pump, some want their Tippmann, some want their electro. Some want to carry paint in ten round tubes, others want to carry half a case in 140 round pods.

You really will have to open the game to anyone.

The other major issue is people like getting what they pay for. If I buy a case of paint, I want a case of paint. I don't want to leave my pods behind when I get hit.

It's one thing to leave out free paint for people to pick up; it's another to try and make that the sole source of paint, since everyone will have to pay for it through entry or paint costs.

Get enough players to turn out, and the multiple sides ( >2 ) would be a lot of fun. The ideas of finding important supplies and props in the field are also good.

I like elaborate and detailed scenarios, but not when I can't play how I want to play. Some days I feel like going light and run with a pump or pistol. Some days I want to shoot some paint.

I agree completely with Thalion. I think the story line could be fun, and finding stuff on the field sounds interesting, but it would really suck to leave the paint you paid for to the person that eliminated you. Also, I wouldn't want to go play somewhere, where I couldn't use my own marker (I paid for it, cause I like to play with it).

#5 User is offline   SPEDcial Forces 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:29 PM

just to clarify, it would be field paint only, and would be provided to every player at the beginning of the game. It would be part of the entry fee, no buying paint on the field. Just scavaging.

This post has been edited by SPEDcial Forces: 11 August 2010 - 02:30 PM

"A bad day of paintball is one where I never get hit. If I don't look like I got date-raped by an octopus by the end of the day, thats a bad thing."

So you want to know why it's called an A5?

If I could assemble a new regulator for a paintball gun, I could build a liver. How hard could it be?

Automaggot #79

I'll bet you $10 the above post is telling you to buy an automag.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users