• You cannot reply to this topic

all sudden my spyder broke! OH NO!! Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Frontier_Bill 

• Every day is a Saturday!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Frontier Bill

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:11 AM

Also, I use a synthetic silicone grease sometimes. I prefer to use that one the bolts for my pump markers.

Team Rogue Cell #10 Founder and Alpha squad leader.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.

#32 User is offline   ProX 

• My primary hobby...
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:04 AM

View PostPuzuma, on Apr 12 2008, 10:08 AM, said:

Explain to me WHY you'd want to use a petroleum based lube that eats O-rings? Why would you risk being in the middle of a critical play and your O-rings blowing?

There's always a risk of blowing an O-ring but honestly, how can you play well knowing that you've done something that is basically sabotaging your own marker, worrying that the next shot could be the last one? How can your teammates rely on you knowing you've sabotaged your marker and effectively your team too?

I doubt that air tool oil is petroleum based seeing as air tools have rubber O-rings in them.

Man, talk about drama! I almost mistook you for my better half there for a moment! :happy: Do you really believe that?

I have no doubt that petro based oils will degrade and eventually ruin an o-ring, but with regular maintenance it would be caught before it comes a problem. When I was on the hunt for cheaper o-rings (and locally available), I ended up at the local industrial supply house. Per Otter's o-ring chart, I was looking for polyurethane, but they had none in the size I wanted. They did however, have buna. I asked about buna and oil (specifically petro based). They said that yes, the oil would degrade it, but only over a long (and unspecified) time. I used a buna o-ring on the bolt and striker of my Classic last year. I kept it well lubed and it is still working this year so far. I know that buna is not the recommended material for the striker, but it's kind of an experiment. I have yet to use them on the MR1's as the current o-rings are still fine. For the cost of them, I could easily afford to replace them once a year. Also, for FWIW, Alamo City Paintball uses buna "quad" o-rings and the recommended lube is Vaseline - a petro based lube. So, what I'm getting at, is that it can't be that bad to use.

View PostFrontier_Bill, on Apr 12 2008, 12:26 PM, said:

Ah, shoot. Sorry ProX. The avatars were similar in color and didn't notice you were a different guy. In my defense, it was 3am and had been awake for 20 hours.. but thats normal, so I dunno. Just slipped by me.

Air tool oil is designed to be used with pneumatic equipment, which uses sensitive o-rings, so they formulate it to not destroy o-rings. Meaning, no petroleum distillates. I have had no issues using it with my gear.

It happens... No biggie...
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other.

"Never play AGAINST your wife on her first day paintballing. Wife gets beat = no more nookie"
Mark that quote down... very important.

When I did tech support for Dell a call came in about a laptop that wasn't working right. The guy insisted that the bullet holes in had nothing to do with the boot issues... -Puzuma

#33 User is offline   ProX 

• My primary hobby...
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:13 AM

Alright... My curiosity got the best of me. These are pics taken of 3 air tool oil bottles at work. All three are different brands

Attached File  air_tool_oil_001.jpg (89.06K)
Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  air_tool_oil_003.jpg (129.05K)
Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  air_tool_oil_005.jpg (112.95K)
Number of downloads: 3

All three are petroleum products.

Another thing to remember is that o-rings have been sealing in liquids of all types for years - petroleum products included.

In conclusion I would have to say that a petro based oil is no big deal. In fact not oiling them and dirt/debris is far more harmful than petro based oil.

"Never play AGAINST your wife on her first day paintballing. Wife gets beat = no more nookie"

When I did tech support for Dell a call came in about a laptop that wasn't working right. The guy insisted that the bullet holes in had nothing to do with the boot issues... -Puzuma

#34 User is offline   Frontier_Bill 

• Every day is a Saturday!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Frontier Bill

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:15 AM

There are different types of O-rings. And it is the pertoleum distillates that are harmful. Not petroleum in general. Have you ever used a regular black o-ring on a tank? Don't... its bad. They swell and/or pop if the marker is not degassed perfectly.

Team Rogue Cell #10 Founder and Alpha squad leader.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.

#35 User is offline   ProX 

• My primary hobby...
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:19 PM

View PostFrontier_Bill, on Apr 18 2008, 12:15 PM, said:

There are different types of O-rings. And it is the pertoleum distillates that are harmful. Not petroleum in general. Have you ever used a regular black o-ring on a tank? Don't... its bad. They swell and/or pop if the marker is not degassed perfectly.

Look at the pictures closely. 2 of them mention containing distillates and one has the same compound as another listed as containing distillates...

And yes I have!!! As I was just beginning to learn about paintball. One of the tanks that was given to me had a black o-ring on it. I used for the day and when I de-gassed it it was all sorts of weird shapes!!!!

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users