• You cannot reply to this topic

Fires in San Diego I'm there! Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   rustilldown_7 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:rustilldown_7

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:00 PM

Yeah I was working at the border of Tustin/Irvine, and saw the Santiago Canyon when it was starting, it got pretty big pretty quickly. All sorts of trees have been knocked down by the wind and it smells like ash. I also remember those fire in 2003, firefighters were not able to stop them. Rain finally did it.
IPB Image
"I know where I'm going, just don't know how to get there."
"Flying isn't dangerous, Crashing is dangerous"
IPB Image

#17 User is offline   C9H13NO3 

• Miramar Mafia
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:C9H13NO3

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:33 PM

View PostMurderDeathKill, on Oct 22 2007, 05:05 PM, said:

View Postmassbrandon, on Oct 22 2007, 02:15 PM, said:

Yeah those were my exact thoughts. I thought I had talked to you a while back about being in the Corps. I can almost guarantee you that its some Full Bird or Colonel trying to get promoted.

call me naive, but doesn't it seem like a good idea to help out people in need? Like people whose houses are gonna burn to ashes?

I mean, you've got plenty of cause to complain, molecule, but from a third-party point of view, I'd say go help 'em out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping. I just think that we have enough manpower that a unit just returning from deployment should be able to still get their R&R, rather than jumping right back into the fire (no pun intended).

#18 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:11 PM

What is it with Southern California...I mean every Year there is always an Inferno in that region as if that part of So Cal is Cursed.

#19 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:22 PM

View PostC9H13NO3, on Oct 22 2007, 07:33 PM, said:

View PostMurderDeathKill, on Oct 22 2007, 05:05 PM, said:

View Postmassbrandon, on Oct 22 2007, 02:15 PM, said:

Yeah those were my exact thoughts. I thought I had talked to you a while back about being in the Corps. I can almost guarantee you that its some Full Bird or Colonel trying to get promoted.

call me naive, but doesn't it seem like a good idea to help out people in need? Like people whose houses are gonna burn to ashes?

I mean, you've got plenty of cause to complain, molecule, but from a third-party point of view, I'd say go help 'em out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping. I just think that we have enough manpower that a unit just returning from deployment should be able to still get their R&R, rather than jumping right back into the fire (no pun intended).

Yeah, you'd think so, wouldn't you... good point...
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#20 User is offline   C9H13NO3 

• Miramar Mafia
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:35 PM

View PostEvil Fingers, on Oct 22 2007, 07:11 PM, said:

What is it with Southern California...I mean every Year there is always an Inferno in that region as if that part of So Cal is Cursed.

This time, they can't get the helos in to put the fire out because of the winds. I think it's God's way of saying it's time for Kalifornistan to be wiped off the map! lol

**edit**

And on a good note, since I'm buying a new truck, I don't want my old one. It's more of a hassle to sell than it's worth, and the fires are gonna get pretty close to where it's stored. If it burns, I don't have to sell it, and I collect insurance!!! woot!

This post has been edited by C9H13NO3: 22 October 2007 - 07:41 PM

#21 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:41 PM

View PostC9H13NO3, on Oct 22 2007, 07:35 PM, said:

View PostEvil Fingers, on Oct 22 2007, 07:11 PM, said:

This time, they can't get the helos in to put the fire out because of the winds. I think it's God's way of saying it's time for Kalifornistan to be wiped off the map! lol

Its SOUTHERN Kalifornstan....Im up in Nor Cal where Wild Fires are seldom and plenty of Fresh Air...sniff sniff, damn I must be nearing Sacramento, I smell manure!

#22 User is offline   C9H13NO3 

• Miramar Mafia
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:46 PM

I hate northern california as much as I hate southern california for one reason...the gun laws.

#23 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:49 PM

View PostC9H13NO3, on Oct 22 2007, 07:46 PM, said:

I hate northern california as much as I hate southern california for one reason...the gun laws.

What Gun Laws?

#24 User is offline   C9H13NO3 

• Miramar Mafia
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:30 PM

The ones where I can't have my AR-15 in California without paying fees and registering it and getting rid of my 30 round magazines for 10 round magazines because it's an "assault rifle" by california law.

The ones where I can't concealed carry my handguns because I'm not a california resident and don't have "a good reason" to according to the california government

The ones where I have to get rid of my 12+ round pistol magazines for 10 round magazines.

The ones where I can't have a .50 caliber rifle if I so choose (though I don't think that one actually went into law)

#25 User is offline   Mech CB 

• Warn: (50%)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mechanical CB

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:20 AM

View PostagentM192, on Oct 22 2007, 05:47 PM, said:

Wow that sucks. I hope you're alright. You could always move to NY and never worry about wildfires again!

Yea, I'm cool. I have a farm in upstate NY, but I would never live there. Too cold!!! It's getting pretty crazy out here. The fire marshall said they may have to let it burn to the ocean. For those of you that know the area, that means it might have to go right through solona beach.

EDIT: So check this out right, the navy only wants essential people to show up to work. Of course I'm essential, but I'm not going to have anything to do today.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mechanical CB: 23 October 2007 - 06:43 AM

#26 User is offline   C9H13NO3 

• Miramar Mafia
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:40 AM

Well thankfully Miramar is just outside the danger zone, but if it gets burned in the next 2 weeks, all i can do is watch on the internet as everything i own goes away.

#27 User is offline   Mech CB 

• PipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:29 AM

actually, they have evacuated all non-essential aircraft and personell from the base along with other safety measures. Hopefully it does end up missing the base though. The fire chief said that as of this point all we can do is let them run to the ocean or hope the winds turn around. Currently, the winds aren't supposed to die down till tomorrow.

Burn areas as of 1130 tuesday. I'm very close to the bottom one.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

"The fire unpredictably sparked and crackled along state Route 94, spreading so rapidly that officials at the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection had trouble keeping track of its exact size. "

"The fire was in so many different spots that it was like somebody threw liquid fire"

“A lot of people were just spray-painting their phone number on their horses and letting them go. I couldn't do that,”

"About 50 Baja California firefighters were called on by U.S. authorities to battle the fire Sunday afternoon. The firefighters, from Tijuana and Tecate, were given special permission to cross with five fire engines and two water trucks, said José Luis Rosas of the Baja California Civil Protection Office. They returned about 4 a.m. yesterday, he said. "

-----

Keeping firefighters going -- on donuts
Posted @ 7:11 AM
K-T Donuts on Paradise Valley Road was emptied of donuts when the shop opened at 5 a.m.

Proprietor Hay Taing said someone was waiting when she opened and bought up all 50 dozen donuts she had, saying they were going to give them to firefighters and evacuees in the Spring Valley area.

Needless to say, her regular customers were showing up and found nothing for them this morning.

-- Karen Kucher

Posted by signonsandiego at 7:11 AM 1 comments

This post has been edited by Mechanical CB: 23 October 2007 - 12:13 PM

#28 User is offline   zguy95135 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:44 PM

Its really bad down here, really bad. I live further up in Ventura and we have a few fires out to our east, luckily theres nothing out here (theres a lot to burn here too). I have friends down in San Diego right in the middle of it all, I've been pretty worried about them. So far 300,000 people have been evacuated and hundreds of thousands of acres burned, 2 dead so far, a lot more injured, and a 1000 or more homes and businesses burned to the ground.

http://flickr.com/photos/amandakne/
An acqaintance of mine in Santa Clarita, from right near her house.

What really burns me (no pun intended) is just how long its taking to get federal air support out here. It takes less then 10 hours to get planes from the east coast, and yet they might not get here until tomorrow morning (they were sent late sunday). Bush needs to step it up, he already f-ed up in New Orleans and he needs to get his butt moving and get resources here now.

Maybe now we'll get the air resources we NEED out here for the future.

This post has been edited by zguy95135: 23 October 2007 - 12:47 PM

#29 User is offline   Mech CB 

• PipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:47 PM

Hey, you're in Ventura? Any word on them sending support out of Hueneme?

#30 User is offline   zguy95135 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:50 PM

I'm not sure, I haven't heard any word on that. But they should be, they have National Guard being deployed down south. I've seen a lot of helos being flown off the base though.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users