• This topic is locked

Work/Coding Vent Guh!

#1 User is offline   CapnStank 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:CapnStank

Post icon  Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:28 AM

I just need to get this off my chest. For the last 12 hours of my job I've been attempting to crack one problem in a project I'm working on. I'm to the point where I want to stab my monitor but something makes me think I'll just end up hurting myself :P.

Currently I am designing applications for IPTV to be used by major service providers but need to create an application that polls a web server in the background to check for updates. Basically I need an application to run behind your TV experience so that you can still access the menu/guide/channel flip/etc. without having to close the application... but the two 'needs' basically contradict each other. One seemingly can't get done without the other breaking.

Quick, someone give me some revolutionary tips for coding. I've heard all the "take a walk", "sleep on it" things before and they're not working. I can't really ask for assistance because I'm the only person in my office working on this project and no one else has the slightest idea what I'm doing.

I'm in one of those situations where my boss wants something by tomorrow, but I've hit a choke-point that unless I can solve this, nothing will work.

Egad!
"Watch out for the guy with the pump, they tend to hit their target."
My BST Feedback: +3/0

#2 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:34 AM

Code something else...Totally un-related

Make a simple rock-paper-scissors game or something :P

-Tenacious

#3 User is offline   CapnStank 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:36 AM

View PostTenacious221, on Jun 10 2010, 09:34 AM, said:

Code something else...Totally un-related

Make a simple rock-paper-scissors game or something :)

-Tenacious

Haha, I'm at work so I tried coding an application to pull off my favorite WebComic RSS feeds into the TV but managed to crash the hardware :P. Maybe I'll revisit that app

#4 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:36 AM

Threaten yourself with citrus if you cannot figure it out. :P

I guess I can't offer much real ideas without knowing what it is you're actually doing and how both applications work.

Any more details you can toss in?
Member of Team Akkadian

#5 User is offline   CapnStank 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:43 AM

View PostThalion, on Jun 10 2010, 09:36 AM, said:

Threaten yourself with citrus if you cannot figure it out. :P

I guess I can't offer much real ideas without knowing what it is you're actually doing and how both applications work.

Any more details you can toss in?

The language used by the applications is a hybrid of aspx & C# with a bunch of markup language designed uniquely for it thrown on top of it all so I really can't give too many details unless you've done application development on it yourself.

In a rough outline what we're trying to do is create a system that links your browser/cell to your TV experience. I've created a back-end website that takes commands from the user and inserts them into a database that is polled by the application I'm working on. The application MUST be active the entire time if the two are to be linked because a typical application is run over-top of the channel and sort of hijacks your remote control's commands until exited.

You can get around this problem by loading your application into a different layer (think sort of in 3D where the application runs at a depth behind the channel on your TV) but as soon as you do that the application no longer listens to the remote control, commands are instead handled by the TV channel itself meaning there's no way to halt/close/quit the application after it is started. There's supposed to be a way to dispose of layers by calling a URL like exit?__MPFLayer=0/1 but I get 404 errors because (I believe) it needs to be called from the same page that initially launched the application in the first place, which isn't possible.

Might not help much, but it is a rough outline.

#6 User is offline   CapnStank 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:55 AM

Huzzuh! I managed to get a working proof of concept having to only break the Second Law of UI design and creating my own solution (No thanks to the documentation provided). Crisis averted, coffee for all!

#7 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:36 AM

Those are more like guidelines than actual rules anyway.

Nobody abides by them perfectly, except for when they're college students and the professors insist upon 100% compliance.
Member of Team Akkadian

#8 User is offline   CapnStank 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

View PostThalion, on Jun 10 2010, 11:36 AM, said:

Those are more like guidelines than actual rules anyway.

Nobody abides by them perfectly, except for when they're college students and the professors insist upon 100% compliance.

They're just guidelines, yes, but the truly innovative and inspiring applications almost always abide by them in the first place. I personally don't like doing a hand-over of applications that I don't stand behind 100%. Right now this application is just a proof of concept and has many holes.

I blame the language for this problem. How can there NOT be a extremely simple, universal, application exit command? Instead I get some run-around with application layers and uri parameters.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users