Special Ops Paintball: Field building guide. - Special Ops Paintball

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Field building guide. A callaborative Rate Topic: ***** 7 Votes

#31 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:10 PM

When working with Cinderblocks...It is especially important to secure them. Since they are a construction material, we are generally fooled intot thinking they are secure like a wall or partition we usually see made out of this stuff...however onthe paintball field this may not be the case, and it can be dangerous.

With cinderblocks, there is a large vertical opening when they are assembeled...

FIRST put a vertical stake through all holes vertically and into the ground.

NEXT fill remaining voids with dirt...

FINALLY repeat as nessisary

-Tenacious

#32 User is offline   Green_Ghost 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Green_Ghost

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:15 PM

Thank you! You have saved me many hours of trying to brainstorm bunkers!!! Awsome post man, so informitive!

#33 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sheriff_Matt

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:39 PM

**UPDATE - Bridges

I just thought I would add a diagram for a basic bridge. I'm not an architect or anything so I'm sure this design can be improved upon. It's basically just a frame made of 4x4's or 2x4's depending on how much weight it will need to hold, that rests on some 8-12 inch posts that are cemented into the ground. You can use trees for the posts or old telephone poles, whatever works.

Posted Image

For the hand rail I would just use some 2x4's or you can even use some small trees that have been cut down to give it a rustic woods sort of look. The floor of the bridge would be 1" plywood, or if you want you could lay 1"x6" planks down. If you really wanted to you could make your own planks from downed trees or whatever(I wouldn't suggest this).

Let me know if there's something I missed or that needs improving.

#34 User is offline   PAINTBALL SMURF 

• Razorback? Pssh, I have turtle-tanks
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:PAINTBALL SMURF

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:51 PM

This doesn't go with the bridge but, when you have areas where you have dug but you havent layed down planks on the floor or something. After it rains you can throw some hay on the floor and it will soak some of the water up.
People for the
Eating of
Tasty
Animals

Vote for the Whiteboard

#35 User is offline   Lit 

• I Bunkered Chuck Norris.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHADOW SPAWN

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:34 PM

I never thought magic was real until i entered this thread. I think I love you. :unsure: :ph34r:

Real Xball
RIP Tonawanda Nightmare
Wellsville Express

GRC Paintball
JAW Paintball
Pentagon Paintball

#36 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:02 PM

Alright well after some thinking, I realized that it's gonna take more than some flash animations to get the movie done the way I had pictured it being. I would just film it all live action on the field I've built here, but I don't have all the bunkers here that I would want to include.

I have all the necessary equipment to make a quulity film, but the only thing I'm lacking is location. So I'm thinking if anyone owns a field with some of the bunkers mentioned in the diagrams(or similiar bunkers) and wouldn't mind me filming on location, let me know :D

Until then we might just have to settle for simple flash animations.

This post has been edited by Sheriff Matt: 16 August 2006 - 09:03 PM

#37 User is offline   commander mike 

• the door is locked now but its open if your true - Metallica
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:commander mike

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:12 AM

View PostSheriff Matt, on Aug 17 2006, 12:02 AM, said:

Alright well after some thinking, I realized that it's gonna take more than some flash animations to get the movie done the way I had pictured it being. I would just film it all live action on the field I've built here, but I don't have all the bunkers here that I would want to include.

I have all the necessary equipment to make a quulity film, but the only thing I'm lacking is location. So I'm thinking if anyone owns a field with some of the bunkers mentioned in the diagrams(or similiar bunkers) and wouldn't mind me filming on location, let me know B)

Until then we might just have to settle for simple flash animations.

you can film my field it doesn't have that many bunkers yet but i'm getting there
Posted Image
Friends dont let friends shoot .50 cal... - The Stuntman

#38 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:10 PM

View Postcommander mike, on Aug 17 2006, 11:12 AM, said:

you can film my field it doesn't have that many bunkers yet but i'm getting there

That would be pretty awesome, where are you located? It's pretty much gotta be within an hours drive of sacramento ca. lol...Gas and money issues are a bummer :o

#39 User is offline   commander mike 

• the door is locked now but its open if your true - Metallica
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:commander mike

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:32 PM

View PostSheriff Matt, on Aug 17 2006, 06:10 PM, said:

That would be pretty awesome, where are you located? It's pretty much gotta be within an hours drive of sacramento ca. lol...Gas and money issues are a bummer :(

well that's out of the question i live in pennsylvania
Posted Image
Friends dont let friends shoot .50 cal... - The Stuntman

#40 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:38 PM

View Postcommander mike, on Aug 17 2006, 03:32 PM, said:

View PostSheriff Matt, on Aug 17 2006, 06:10 PM, said:

That would be pretty awesome, where are you located? It's pretty much gotta be within an hours drive of sacramento ca. lol...Gas and money issues are a bummer :(

well that's out of the question i live in pennsylvania

Well that stinks! Sorry bout that. If I'm ever on my way through there I'll let you know.

#41 User is offline   luvtoplaydagame88 

• this is my friend if you shoot him he will shoot you twice
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:luvtoplaydagame88

Post icon  Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:17 AM

thats some cool stuff ill have to hint that off to my team comander :unsure:

#42 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:35 PM

**UPDATE - Field layout and bunker placement strategies

To all the people who wonder "How do you setup a good field layout?" I say there is no perfect field layout. I've been building the same field for over 3 months now and I'm always changing the layout. Its dang near impossible to setup the perfect field layout because every game you play is going to work out a different way. In this article I in no way plan on telling you exactly how every field should be laid out but I DO plan on giving you some helpful advice on how to setup your bunkers and flag bases
in a way that will work out well for most games.

The first place to start is making sure the field is even.

Posted Image

This doesn't necessarily mean the field has to be level geographically. Hills and valleys can be a huge advantage as long as you make sure the field is still even. Both flags need to be equally defendable, as well as each flag base being equally penetrable. Doing this will make sure both sides have a fair chance at winning, and will ensure that your games won't end up being one sided and monotonous. After all of that now you ask "How do I make my field even?" Well, for the most part it takes a lot of feel for how a lot of your games go and experience playing on the field. If you consistently have games that end in a stalemate between equally matched teams, then your field may be too even, or may not offer enough advantages/disadvantages for each team. On the other hand if you consistently have games where the better team is loosing while playing on the same side every time, you may have to re-arrange the layout. How do you know if your field is even? Well, sometimes all you have to do is play on it and see what everyone says. Of course you're going to get a lot of talk about "I don't suck, the field does...that's why we lost" but if you get some valid complaints about the field you'll have an idea of what needs to be changed.

When planning the layout of your field, the best thing I've found to do is place the flags first. Flag placement is a crucial part of the field. It will be the start and end point for most games. You'll want to make sure you place the flags in an area where they can be easily defended but, also, not impossible to steal. Before you even start building any permanent structures you'll want to play at least a few games on the field to get a feel for where things need to go. Place the flags in their prospective spots and test it out with a few games...If it doesn't work so well, it's easy to move them around as apposed to being stuck in the bunker you've already built.

After you've found the perfect place for your flag bases, you can begin construction.

My suggestion would be to start with the flag base/bunker, and once that is completed then go out to where you want to build the farthest bunker out and begin building that.

Posted Image

Then start working your way back to the main bunker in a sequence that allows each bunker to be covered by at least one other bunker(of course the front bunker probably isn't going to have the privilege of having too much cover).

Posted Image

If you layout your bunkers like this you can lay out your field so your defense has a sequential set of retreat points. This means you're going to have to pay close attention to how far apart and where you put your bunkers so you leave plenty of room and access for your defenders or retreating fire squads to move freely and easily from bunker to bunker. You don't want them to have to run through an open field to get to the next bunker, likewise, you don't want them tripping over bushes either.

After you decide on your initial areas for your bunkers take a look at the angles each bunker covers. Do they leave huge gaps in your defense? Or could you put the whole half of the field on lockdown?

Posted Image

Look at all the angles and set up your bunkers so you're not leaving lanes open for attackers to move straight to the flag base undetected.

Watch out for leaving your bunkers blind by building them behind large bushes and trees that can cut down on your field of view...or view of the field. If your bunker is in a position where the attackers can sneak up on you, the bunker isn't going to do you any good.

Posted Image

You want a minimum effective range of the bunker to be 20 yards. That means a 60 foot field of view on all sides of the bunker.

Posted Image

If you've set your bunker up in a spot where it's nearly impossible to attain this then you may want to add an additional bunker to cover the spots where the other bunker(s) may be blind or left open.

After you get your bunkers laid out and they have been battle tested and approved you can start building more permanent emplacements and fortifications. It’s really hard to plan out a field on paper and have it work out perfectly when you get on the field. It takes a lot of trial an error to get a feel for what works and what doesn’t because every field, and every game for that matter, is going to be different. For one game a certain layout might work out perfectly, but for the next, depending on how the chips fall, it could be totally different. Hopefully this will just be a helpful starter on how to lay out your field.

**Sorry about the crappy diagrams this time.

This post has been edited by Sheriff Matt: 18 August 2006 - 08:36 PM

#43 User is offline   luvtoplaydagame88 

• this is my friend if you shoot him he will shoot you twice
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:luvtoplaydagame88

Post icon  Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:55 PM

I am on commander mikes team and i help with the field i might be getting a digie camer and once i learn how to use it i can send you some clips of our field its going to be prety awsome

#44 User is offline   ANDYMAN 

• Death Before Dishonor
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ANDYMAN

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:47 PM

This is really good stuff, man. We just made a field and are playing on it tomorrow for the first time. I'll take some pics of the bunkers and bases we made and post 'em up here. Next, I think you should give a tutorial on building towers.

Member #16 of the Invisi-Text Club

#45 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:56 PM

View PostANDYMAN, on Sep 1 2006, 02:47 PM, said:

Next, I think you should give a tutorial on building towers.

That gives me many ideas....lol I'll have to start thinking about it.

Share this topic:

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users