Looking at what next Keeping it simple and cheap Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Charlatan 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:CHARLATAN

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:48 PM

Ahoy!

Sometime hopefully within 1st quarter of 2k9 I'll have my equipment back.

I had a Spyder VS1 but decided I didn't like it---charging the battery before each game was tedious, and I found that the burstfire mode just wound up making me waste paint. That and I decided I didn't like speedball (which is why I bought it) that much. I have now given it to a good friend.

This leaves me with my plain jane Tippmann 98 Custom, non-Platinum.

This is what I am considering buying in the near future:

A) J&J Edge Starter Kit. Oddly enough buying two backs and one front separately seems to cost more than buying the Starter kit. The kit only comes with a 12" front (I want a 14" as I seem to have gathered that's the optimum length), but oh well.
:dodgy: Compressed air tank, maybe a 68ci 4500 high pressure, as that seems to be a choice favorite. I should probably inquire in the air tank subforum to make sure I know what I'm doing first, though...My calculations using the calculator in one of the air tank threads tell me I should get approx. 1000 shots off of a tank of that size and make on a 98C, but this sounds a little high. Can anyone confirm?
C) New mask, probably a JT model, and maybe a spare lense.
D) A new pod belt, maybe six-pods capacity, depending on how many rounds I get off the N2 tank.
E) Maybe MAYBE some somewhat better camo from the surplus army army surplus store in town (it's HUGE).

I've only gotten to play paintball a few times, due a lack of funds, lack of transportation, lack of nearby fields...But now I live in Portland, where public transit can get me to an indoor field and where I now have a job. Now I just need my marker, spare time, increased working hours, and for my pops and I to get freaking settled in (we moved here only 2.5 or so months ago, Gawd I hate having to take care of medical paperwork via phone all on my ownsome).

As the Tippy has ironsights I don't plan on getting any fancypants stuff like red dot sites or anything like that. No milsim mods, no response triggers (full-auto + me = wasted ammo), nada. When I want something more, I'll probably buy a whole new marker, maybe an Automag if all that I have heard here is true.

With that much said, what do you think about all this?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

#2 User is offline   Steel Tiger 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Steel Tiger

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:51 PM

What are you looking to get out of your marker? There are many better choices other than 98's out there for a similar cost.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Charlatan 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:04 PM

View PostSteel Tiger, on Dec 4 2008, 08:51 PM, said:

What are you looking to get out of your marker? There are many better choices other than 98's out there for a similar cost.

-Accuracy
-Durability/reliability/ease of maintenance
-Comfortable (whatever that means)
-Has some way---whether by ironsights or purchased external red-dot sight---of telling me where I'm aiming
-Accuracy
-Affordable in this era of wacky economics
-Mechanical would be nice.

I'm not keen on milsim, but not allergic to it. Fullauto is nice but I don't need it.

Air efficiency isn't too big a concern. If I can get six pods and a hopper I'll call it a good time.

Oh, in case anyone can advise me on Automags, the guys at Portland Paintball told me they recommend against getting one as they say they aren't manufactured anymore and spare parts are rare as they're basically large regulators. Confirm/deny?

~Charlatan

This post has been edited by Charlatan: 04 December 2008 - 06:11 PM

#4 User is offline   Steel Tiger 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:10 PM

View PostCharlatan, on Dec 4 2008, 08:04 PM, said:

-Accuracy Get an HPA tank and a nice barrel. Whats your price range?
-Durability/reliability/ease of maintenance Many markers offer this. At this point, im suggesting an automag.-Comfortable (whatever that means) Try to hold different markers in your hands before you buy one. What feels best to you? Thats the most important thing.
-Has some way---whether by ironsights or purchased external red-dot sight---of telling me where I'm aiming So you would prefer an offset hopper so you have a more clear sightline?
-Accuracy
-Affordable in this era of wacky economics Classic Mags are very affordable.
-Mechanical would be nice. Automag looks like your best bet.

I'm not keen on milsim, but not allergic to it. Fullauto is nice but I don't need it.

Air efficiency isn't too big a concern. If I can get six pods and a hopper I'll call it a good time.

~Charlatan

Like i said above, i would go with an automag.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Charlatan 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:21 PM

For the air tank and barrels, I'm not quite sure yet. Things are EXTREMELY chaotic for dad and I at the moment.

If I'm getting something more upscale than a 98C I'm thinking I'd savesavesave for Lapco barrels. If I'm absolutely strapped, though, I'll probably go for a J&J Edge Starter Kit.

Offset hopper works, I think. I've seen the hopperleft/hopperright bodies for the Automag, which are pretty up my ally, but they use "twist-lock" barrels (based on info I've glamed from the AGD page), and I don't know what that means in terms of what barrels are available.

I'd like to be able to acquire a full barrel kit if possible/feasible so that my performance isn't too dependent on the particulars of my paint (note: I don't plan on ever really bothering with the tiny, high-grade tournament paints, recball paints work for me, I'm pretty casual, I just want a good marker that will stay with me for a good long time).

#6 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

Well, it sounds like he had a 98 before he got the Spyder, so he won't be buying a new non-platinum 98C.
That said, if he can justify spending money on a new marker that's great, if not, his tippy will work just fine with minor upgrades.

View PostCharlatan, on Dec 4 2008, 07:04 PM, said:

-Accuracy. Buy a new barrel for your 98. A J&J ceramic or Custom Products Classic barrel are good cheap barrels. Lapco and PPS are a little better for a little more $. Also, switching to HPA or if you want to keep using CO2 getting a Stabilizer will help a lot.
-Durability/reliability/ease of maintenance. Your 98 should be durable enough and if proper maintenance is done, reliable as well. Ease of maintenance isn't the easiest, but it's not too bad.
-Comfortable (whatever that means). Well this is something only you can decide. What I find comfortable you may not.
-Has some way---whether by ironsights or purchased external red-dot sight---of telling me where I'm aiming. You can easily attach a red dot to your 98c.
-Accuracy. You already listed this so see above.
-Affordable in this era of wacky economics. You've already got the 98C and can upgrade it for the same cost of a new stock marker that you'd most likely end up spending money on to upgrade.
-Mechanical would be nice. Leave your 98C stock in that department.

A 68/4500 should yield you 1000-1100 shots with your 98C, but if you use a stabilizer with CO2 you'll get about same amount of shots using a 20oz and have the consistency of HPA.

~Charlatan

This post has been edited by Weigel21: 04 December 2008 - 06:32 PM

#7 User is offline   Charlatan 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

It's already been a heck of a time getting this far into the paintball world for what little chance I've had to play it. If I had known some of the more hidden costs (like transportation and time) I think I might never have bothered...

That much said, I'd like to avoid getting a whole new marker if possible. I'm getting tired of tabulating up pros and cons in my head and looking up articles. Really, more than anything, I'd like to play. And play and play and play.

I know that the Tippmann can mount ironsights. What I was saying is that there's a lot of markers that shoot great but have a centerfeed, which I'd rather avoid if possible.

The only things I want are the barrel upgrades and the N2 tank because those are the core things recommended. That's why I said I didn't want any milsim stuff. I'm getting mixed messages from the forums on what qualify as worthy or cost-efficient upgrades to a Tippmann.

@ Weigel: So are you saying that a 98C plus upgrades would cost less, more, or the same as a new marker plus upgrades?

If I get a high-pressure air tank for my Tippmann and decide to use the Automag, then IIRC the air tank will be compatible with the Automag. This might be economical if the Automag I might decide to get is compressed air-only.

~Charlatan

#8 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:56 PM

What I was saying is it sounded like you currently have the 98C and that upgrading it would cost less than buying a new marker that you would most likely have to upgrade as well.

If you don't own the 98C already then I suggest you NOT buy one and instead buy something a little better for a similair cost.

HPA will cost you a good $150 for a 68/4500, I reccomend buying a Crossfire.
A new barrel will cost $30 for a J&J Ceramic or Custom Products Classic and roughly $50 for a Lapco Big Shot or PPS Brass with no extra options.
If you choose to go with a stabilizer and CO2, a Stab can cost upwards of $100 and a 20oz. CO2 runs for around $20 last I knew.

#9 User is offline   MadChild 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:MADCHILD

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

Ever think about playing pump? You can save alot of money on paint an air, and it be fun if you have the right attitude.
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.

maximum size exceeded

#10 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:26 PM

A high pressure tank will work on any Automag. Co2 will not work on Mags with an X-Valve, like the Tac-One. You say you want to play, play, and play, so go play, play, and play. You don't need to spend money on your marker to compete.

Tippmanns are upgradeable, but only slightly and you need to be cautious on how much you spend on it. Tippmanns are money pits -- but only if you make them that way. You want to avoid the milsim accessories as they aren't "upgrades" by any means. Stick with getting a good barrel and a good HPA tank, preferably Crossfire.

For a barrel, I use a J&J and love it, but Lapco gets a lot of love and so does PPS.

Centerfeeds, in the long run, are superior. The marker is better balanced, and you're never at a disadvantage. Tippmanns for instance have huge profiles to begin with, and aren't nearly as tight as a "tourney" marker (although some people prefer this, myself included to some extent) and part of the reason is because they're not a center feed.

As you develop as a player and get "in tune" with your gear, you'll soon find yourself practicing "zen shooting". Nothing wrong with a marker like the A-5, since a lot of Cyclone hits would have hit me anyway, but a centerfeed is more practical.
Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#11 User is offline   Steel Tiger 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:34 PM

View PostWeigel21, on Dec 4 2008, 08:56 PM, said:

What I was saying is it sounded like you currently have the 98C and that upgrading it would cost less than buying a new marker that you would most likely have to upgrade as well.

If you don't own the 98C already then I suggest you NOT buy one and instead buy something a little better for a similair cost.

HPA will cost you a good $150 for a 68/4500, I reccomend buying a Crossfire.
A new barrel will cost $30 for a J&J Ceramic or Custom Products Classic and roughly $50 for a Lapco Big Shot or PPS Brass with no extra options.
If you choose to go with a stabilizer and CO2, a Stab can cost upwards of $100 and a 20oz. CO2 runs for around $20 last I knew.

Ive found CF tanks that have gone for 100 with a good 3 years left in their hydro. I recommend looking there.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Iron Eagle 

• Emotionally Exhausted & Morally Bankrupt
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Angry Badger

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:37 PM

I can't answer your questioons, but I seriously think that you should get a Response Trigger. You can still fire on semi-auto all the time, and if you need extra firepower, you have it right there. I can't tell you how many times I've been taken out because I didn't have enough firepower to match my enemy.
Ambassador of intelligence, deliverer of logic, mirror to the obvious

#13 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:38 PM

I would personally buy any type of carbon fiber tank new, just to be safe. $50 isn't a whole lot more, especially since you'll get a 5 year hydro for sure.

But, money is tight and it's always good to save so if used is your thing and it's a good seller, it could be a sweet deal.
Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#14 User is offline   Steel Tiger 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:51 PM

View PostStealingYerMail, on Dec 4 2008, 09:38 PM, said:

I would personally buy any type of carbon fiber tank new, just to be safe. $50 isn't a whole lot more, especially since you'll get a 5 year hydro for sure.

But, money is tight and it's always good to save so if used is your thing and it's a good seller, it could be a sweet deal.

I snagged a 45/45 dye throttle with 3 years left for less than 90. It works perfect. :(
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:23 PM

Alrighty:

ahEM*

I personally suggest you just run a simple set-up for now,
Whats your price range. do you have enough income to support youself while saving up for a marker? lol

Are planning on buying a bunch of high end equipment ( HPA tanks Regulators markers hopper ect ect) and then just paying for entry fee's?
or do you want to save a bunch of money and blow 300$ on a marker 200$ on a tank ect ect.

IF I was you, which im not, but if I was, I would take this opportunity to really look into something unique.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users