Special Ops Paintball: Official Military Service Q&A Thread - Special Ops Paintball

• (69 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Official Military Service Q&A Thread All Military Questions Here! Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   commando kyle 

• Feel free to salute at any time.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Commando_Kyle

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:49 PM

ACE, MOARNG is paying 100 percent of my tuition, and is giving me the GI bill plus a kicker for my ASVAB.

Meline, I had to pass tape to make it into basic, and Ive lost about 30 pounds, and about 4 pants sizes. My neck did get a bit smaller though too. I plan to keep up my workout regimen, and eat right. Just because Im in the NG doesnt give me an excuse to slack off.
OIF '08 OEF '09-'10
Camo Bandits-"By Force and Valor"

#32 User is offline   ^!) 

• ...for tomorrow we die.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:22 AM

Hi.

I'm currently in the Marines... a Tank Mechanic, but currently serving in a rifle company (as a rifleman, not a mechanic) in Iraq.
I can also answer questions about the Corps, Iraq, and some officer programs, because I did NROTC for a year in college.

...and my roommates over here are a MIMMS clerk and an Admin Clerk... and my neighbors in my can consist of another tank mechanic, two tankers, two grunts, and a Navy corpsman... so between all of us, we can answer most questions you might have.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

#33 User is offline   Mech CB 

• Warn: (50%)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mechanical CB

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:40 AM

What kind of tank do you work on?

#34 User is offline   Meline 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Meline

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:59 AM

View PostAce-014, on Nov 12 2007, 09:45 PM, said:

Hey guys I'm considering going into the National Guard Active before and after college. So I was wondering what kind of benifits it can give me to help with college before, and how it will work for me as a career after college.

First here comes the cop-out; Alot of it depends on your state. The NGB (National Guard Bureau) controls some programs but a majority of benifits come from the State.

For instance in my state (WY) being guard does teh fallowing.
Makes you an in-state resident.
Pays 100% of in-state tution.
Still allows you to use the GI Bill (but its a lower rate than you can get from the RA with kicker).

College pit-falls (all branches of service);
Don't expect to get college credit for your military training. I know the military says you will, when you ETS you get the form on your training and applicable college classes but most schools won't honor that. (I can repair and operate a RADAR and 5-150 KW generator and teh only credit I got was a 3 credits hours of PE and that is pretty average).
Lag times- From the time you enroll with teh VA expect a one to two month lag time before you see your money from teh GI Bill coming in.

As for the NG as a career on the full time side.
Basically its the same retirement as the RA.
Down sides to it are limited slots and rank requirements. What I mean: Say you are a full time E5 working as the unit supply guy and you get offered E6. The job you are working is only an E5 slot so your options are try and find an E6 full time slot and take the promotion, take the promotion as E6 and lose your job as a full timer, or turn down the promotion and keep your job.
Up side is first shot at other full time positions. Say your that E5 again, you hear that C Co. is about to open a E6 Readiness NCO slot. Being a full timer gives you first shot at it even if your not at the top of the points list. You fill the slot and its instant E6 time.
CPPA #2701

aka Lazarusrat

#35 User is offline   Meline 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:03 AM

View Postredleg_64, on Nov 13 2007, 05:43 AM, said:

View PostMeline, on Nov 12 2007, 01:24 PM, said:

Kyle- Can you pass Tape easily? Its best to be under the Max Ht/Wt but for some people that is impossible, if you're on eof those guys your only option is to pass teh tape test. I must warn you teh tape test is EXTREMELY subjective so if go that route make sure you can pass tape with room to spare as it will bite you in the behind.

I weigh in between 195 and 200, depending on when I eat and if I have gone to the bathroom or not. The Army wants me to weigh no more than 174 - that isn't going to happen. I pass tape all the time though, especially with the new standards they just came out with.

Does anyone have any questions for me? I've been to South Korea, Baghdad, and I'll be in Iraq again soon.

Yeah hurry up and win things over there, we are getting slotted for another trip to the sand box ;) ILO, here we GO!!!

This post has been edited by Meline: 13 November 2007 - 09:04 AM

CPPA #2701

aka Lazarusrat

#36 User is offline   Hell Rider 

• Hell Rider
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Hell Rider

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:19 AM

What do you have to do to pass the marine boot camp? like how many push ups and what ever?

#37 User is offline   SpudCrushr 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:33 AM

View PostC9H13NO3, on Nov 12 2007, 11:18 PM, said:

yes the airforce is easier physically by their standards. contacts and glasses should have no effect on which branch you choose.

i haven't been in anything but the Marines, so I can't really tell you what they all offer, except the Marines. Whatever branch you choose should be because they have what YOU are looking for. Don't listen to what people tell you to join. Don't worry about physical requirements either. If you don't meet them now, bootcamp will help you meet them.

No, I'm pretty sure you can't be a pilot if you have glasses or a lack of night vision due to laser surgery.
Posted Image

#38 User is offline   UWANNAGO 

• Im kind of a big deal, people know me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:UWANNAGO

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:11 PM

Do you need to be in college then go into the military to go into an officer training program or can you be in the service while attending a 4 yr college.

Is being in the service and attending 4 year college even possible with time restrictions?

Also if I go to a 4 yr college then go into the service can I choose to go to officer program or do they assign me?

Peace,
Teddy K

#39 User is offline   Meline 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:13 PM

green to gold program
CPPA #2701

aka Lazarusrat

#40 User is offline   UWANNAGO 

• Im kind of a big deal, people know me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:UWANNAGO

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:18 PM

Im talking more along the lines of air force...do they have a similar program?

Peace,
Teddy K

#41 User is offline   snipin'since88 

• TEUFELHUNDEN
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:snipinsince88

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:02 PM

View PostTeddy K, on Nov 13 2007, 02:18 PM, said:

Im talking more along the lines of air force...do they have a similar program?

Peace,
Teddy K

you can go through an academy without goint to a bootcamp. my suggestion is that you go through bootcamp first, become enlisted, do your time become an NCO. then become a zero. learn what its like to be steped on by some officer. meaning, you know what its like to be in the thick of things with the troops. also you get much more respect from the enlisted side.

#42 User is offline   snipin'since88 

• TEUFELHUNDEN
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:snipinsince88

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:04 PM

im curious, why was the marine corps birthday thread removed?

#43 User is offline   Iranosaurus Rex 

• Ringleader
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:52 PM

View PostSpudCrushr, on Nov 13 2007, 12:33 PM, said:

View PostC9H13NO3, on Nov 12 2007, 11:18 PM, said:

yes the airforce is easier physically by their standards. contacts and glasses should have no effect on which branch you choose.

i haven't been in anything but the Marines, so I can't really tell you what they all offer, except the Marines. Whatever branch you choose should be because they have what YOU are looking for. Don't listen to what people tell you to join. Don't worry about physical requirements either. If you don't meet them now, bootcamp will help you meet them.

No, I'm pretty sure you can't be a pilot if you have glasses or a lack of night vision due to laser surgery.

I think PRK is now waiverable for aviation in at least the Navy, and probably the other branches too. Not sure about Lasik. But I don't think PRK or Lasik can fix color-blindness or night vision, just acuity. So if you're colorblind or something like that, no dice.

My understanding in the difference between PRK and Lasik is that in Lasik they cut some type of flap in your cornea to correct the vision, whereas in PRK they just grind away to reshape the cornea. Someone correct if I'm wrong, but there is something major that makes PRK waiverable.
Automaggot #1 Plane Takes Off Club #1

#44 User is offline   O'C 

• Machineguns!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:O'C

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:39 PM

View PostTeddy K, on Nov 13 2007, 01:11 PM, said:

Do you need to be in college then go into the military to go into an officer training program or can you be in the service while attending a 4 yr college. Yeah Im pretty sure you do. I dont think theres any substitutes. Officers need to be well, or should be well educated.

Is being in the service and attending 4 year college even possible with time restrictions? My recruiter is currently getting his diploma as we speak... but its online. Going to an actauly college... no... unless youre reserve.

Also if I go to a 4 yr college then go into the service can I choose to go to officer program or do they assign me? Well if your doing that may as well have the government pay for your college and get into a ROTC program.

Peace,
Teddy K

im curious, why was the marine corps birthday thread removed?
Im curious too... this thread is to ask and answer questions. The Marine Corps birthday was different than General military questions or anything in that matter.

This post has been edited by O'C: 13 November 2007 - 04:41 PM

#45 User is offline   Incognito 

• Using Less Than 100 Paintballs A Day
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:15 PM

I want to join the Marines, preferably as an officer. My question is: if I do PLC or OCC, do I stand a pretty good chance of being commissioned?

~Quip~
~Christian Paintballer~CPPA Member #3565~Stock Class Paintballer~Automaggot~My Feedback
Posted Image
The Family: VSC Phantom, PGP, Classic Automag, Autococker, Pumpcocker
U.S. Army Infantry: Because Someone Needs to Take Out the Trash

Share this topic:

• (69 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users