• You cannot reply to this topic

Mini Barrel Bored out for SP Freak Inserts... Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   dougdeb 

• ________
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:KWEIMATHA

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:09 AM

Recently, I had my Olive Dust Mini stock barrel bored out to fit SMart Parts Freak Inserts by Odell's Paintball http://www.odells-paintball.com in PA. It cost me $30 (+$5 shipping). The gentleman received the barrel on December 31st. he notified me on the 1st that the work was complete and I'd have the barrel back shortly. I received the barrel on the 5th. Talk about excellent service. A couple of minor issues up front. He didn't cut a slot in the barrel. To me that's not a big deal. The biggest issue is that he left four small marks on the end of the barrel (the breech end). I'll try to get some pics later. They are real small, looks like they were made by the vise or clamps. When I bought the insert kit, I tried out the fit of the inserts and we were concerned that the boring was off slightly. I finally got a chance to test it today. I put about 1000 rounds of Chronic Inertia, PMI Premium, and JT white box. I ended up using two different inserts (why did I get the full 8 piece set? :D) The paint was leftover from some that I bought two weeks ago to do some barrel to paint match testing for some of my other markers. It was kept in a soft sided zip up cooler indoors. I'd say it was fairly fresh. The JT white box bag was still sealed. I started testing with about 2000psi left in my 68/4500 tank from two weeks ago. I shoot it dry. In the past, I've only gotten about 900-1000 rounds from a cold fill full tank. So I'd say at a minium, my efficiency is greatly increased. I started with the Chronic Inertia b/c that's my standard paint. I put about 500 rounds through the marker and insert with no breaks, no chops. The velocity (I didn't chrono every shot but four/five out of every 20 or so) and the deviation was never more than 6/8 fps. Now, my Mini isn't completely broken in yet so I suspect that very soon, the deviation will further decrease. The results were the same with the Premium and the white box. The PMI Premium was my former paint of choice, but it's hard to find out here. The only thing I had to do was to change the insert for the Premium for a slightly larger size. I'd have to go check and see which one it was. The other incredible thing was that the rounds were one on top of the other. The field refs were amazed that I was getting such accuracy with a stock barrel (they hadn't seen me set-up the insert). Even after I explained it to them, they were still impressed. The downside to my testing was that my dumb-butt had turned the velocity way down and I didn't have the wrench with me to turn it back up. Actually, it was in the bag, I just didn't feel like digging it back out b/c I was on a time crunch.
Bottom line.... could I have just bought a freak front, back, and insert set. Yes, I could have. But, I like the looks of my Olive Dust finish and I didn't want to "ruin" it with a black barrel.
Was it worth the $30 for the bore job and another $70 for the set? For vanity's sake, yes. Personal choice.
Aloha, Doug

This post has been edited by dougdeb: 21 January 2008 - 06:49 AM

If the person on the other end of your gun does not walk away eagerly anticipating the next game because of your actions,
you have failed as a paintballer.

#2 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:56 AM

this
thread
is
useless
without
PICS!!!

I'd like to see pics of this please! Thanks!
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#3 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:07 PM

^^^^ :rolleyes:

#4 User is offline   dougdeb 

• ________
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:36 AM

Sorry for the delay. Having two small kids and a wife that's deployed with the US Army doesn't leave me a lot of time. Here are pictures of the barrel, the marks on the barrel and the freak insert in the barrel. I'll try to get some target shooting photos done tomorrow or Saturday.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

IF you want any other photos, let me know.
Aloha, Doug
If the person on the other end of your gun does not walk away eagerly anticipating the next game because of your actions,

#5 User is offline   Xumed 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Xumed

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:43 AM

How about a link or a name of the "operation in PA" that does this work? Looks good.

#6 User is offline   dougdeb 

• ________
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:49 AM

Not sure why I left that out the first time...info added w/ link.
Aloha, Doug

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users