Special Ops Paintball: DUMB REFFS!!!!! and how not to be one - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DUMB REFFS!!!!! and how not to be one tips for prosebective reffs and how hard the job is Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   andrew1987 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:beat box

Post icon  Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:50 AM

Ok i got some important info for you if you plan to be a ref

first reffing paintball is not playing
when you go to the field after getting a job don't bring your gun reffing is not playing, when your out there you need to not be in the game, remember the last time you went or the first tine when you were a renter, might have been when you were small, if your ref had been on the other side with his nice a-5 or pm6 you would have been scared, also you will not be getting paid to play paintball, no body is (ok well ollie lang and a few others but not you) it is not possible for you to ref the drop ins then dash to the pitch and play 1 quick round of speed ball and get back, it will not work, your group will leave without you and shoot them selves in the eyes to spite you for not being there, today i spent less then literately 45seconds to go and try out a gun from the guy who works in the store, when i left my group they were all filling there hoppers and eating burgers and seemed like they were a long time off, not so, i was gone less then a min and they were yelling at me to get back

its not easy and not lazy, its more then reffing
the title of ref is not just someone who goes out stands at the chronograph. hands you your rental gear and coveralls and yells "3 2 1 GO-GO-GO!" let me ask you; where do those coveralls come from? why are they not covered in paint and mud from the last people to use them? how old do you think those guns are? how much effort do you think it takes to keep guns that old in working condition so that they can each shoot 5000+ (on the really busy days) rounds a day, 2 days a week for the summer, what about buildings? the fields, the staging area and the washrooms? paintball like the movies doesn't just happen it takes time effort and perseverance to survive and keep running, all with no glory and no respect which brings me to my next point

people will hate you no respect no tips
little Timmy might not be a problem(o he might be a big problem) but Timmy's mom can be a big pain in the back side, for starters Timmy's mom will tell Timmy's hole hockey team that paintball is a horrible idea, that it will hurt and they will have scars for life, that the goggles only provide some protection and the paint will wreck there nice coats with there team name
Timmy's mom is never happy, she doesn't understand why there group can't go out by them selves "well ma'am you need to have a privet group to go out with just your team and you guys turned down that idea because this is cheaper" "well we diden't expect there to be anyone else here today" "no ma'am its totally out fault that there are other people here on this the first sunny day in weeks after the end of the hockey season" "well what if those boys play rough?" those boys were by the way about 3 or 4 years older and also had rentals, i don't remember what i said after that i just sorta trailed off and made our way out to the field, and if Timmy doesn't win Timmy's mom will be very upset, i have read stories of parents who harass the refs when there kids lose but thats never happened to me ... yet. also there are perks like cheap paint but don't expect tips, and worst of all is that if you if you stop runing for 3 seconds you are instantly a crappy ref, you should know that in some places like the one i work at we don't even get a lunch break or time and a half if the game goes past a 8am-7pm work day

0 on a good day 50 on a bad day
you get shot, its unavoidable, more with the gun owners then the renters oddly enough, on a good day its 0 on bad days it can be 50, personally i never had 50 but some guys who i work with have been shot in the testicle and needed surgery
witch sucks in general but we are in Canada so its free, in the states it would be worse il bet

don't get me wrong i love being a ref cause of the great people i get to work with and the big discount on paint :( and if you ever come to my field i will bust my but to make sure you have a good time
but don't expect the behind the scenes to be as fun as the game

i made this post cause we just got 2 new refs and one was a guy that had only played like 3 times and the other who brought his pm6, you may have guessed it right off the bat he was planing to go and play later, the guy who had barely played was great, working hard all day and learning how to do the harder jobs like the laundry and the guy with his pm6 was to busy to help pick up garbage in the staging area because of his second hot dog, oddly enough he never did get around to helping with the cleaning after, there were some other things but i cant recall because its tomorrow (12:50) and i have to be back at work in a few hours so i need sleep
reffing is not all fun and games its hard work, make sure your up to the challenge

(edit: major spelling errors, i was way too tired when i wrote this)

This post has been edited by andrew1987: 15 April 2007 - 10:07 AM

#2 User is offline   emr_ambush_alpha67 

• ambush AkA the law
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ambush_alpha67

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:50 AM

ummmmmm.... k? but seriesly.most refs bring there guns afterwards when all the cleaning up is done off the field and some of us if we have time get to go out to the speedball field and play a little.
~RIP~ Owego Outlaws
NJ TITANS!!! HOW WE ROLLL!!!! SOOOOOUUUTTTHHHH SSSIIIDDDEEE!!!!
~I AM THE SLINKEY~

#3 User is offline   eDDe 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:eDDe

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:47 AM

Nice post, gives me a new perspective on Refs even though I gave them my uttermost respect anyway.
Tidy up spelling though please, could be stickied :D

#4 User is offline   TREE FITTY 

• Time to get to business...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TIPPMANN6791

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:14 AM

Yeah, made for a really hard read. I got like... 10 sentences out of that. Exaggeration and I am just messin' with ya.

This side of PA needs a few good refs.

did I die for a second there?...

#5 User is offline   Matt 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:32 AM

reading this was the biggest waste of my time. first, it sounds like you are 10 with all your spelling mistakes. either take more time to fix them, or go back to school. second, no duh that reffing is not playing. third, what does the third thing you wrote about timmy's mom have anything to do with reffing. forth, it is a ref for paintball. dont complain abot getting hit. that is part of being a ref. if you dont like it, go be a ref for some other thing like 5 year old kids playing soccer.

maybe if you wrote more about reffing instead of timmy's mom, it would not have wasted my time AS much.

#6 User is offline   emr_ambush_alpha67 

• ambush AkA the law
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:03 AM

the thing that trully makes me mad is the fact that you said that refs go to play speeball during the down time.iv refed a few private groups big games. at one point the team attacking the castle was loosing badly and needed help. we had more then enough refs so i ran down to the shop, grabed a minion and a pod pack and helped the team out. both sides appreciated it and we got tipped higher that day because they loved the way we did a 3 vs 30 match with some of them. so needlees to say. refs can play on the job sometimes. we dont do it all the time. but sometimes you get those groups that are just a little too cocky and want to challenge the refs. this is were its ok to play. also we usally do ironman games at the end of the day. if someone quits and still has a hopper of paint left that they wana let us shoot. we will take the jersey off and play with them. they love this and always keep coming back for more.

This post has been edited by emr_ambush_alpha67: 15 April 2007 - 09:05 AM

~RIP~ Owego Outlaws
~I AM THE SLINKEY~

#7 User is offline   andrew1987 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:31 AM

View Postemr_ambush_alpha67, on Apr 15 2007, 09:03 AM, said:

refs can play on the job sometimes.

no no i agree some times but it was this guys idea that he was going to "finish early and go play some speed ball"
there is no finishing early, some of the things we do can only be done after everybody leaves

#8 User is offline   Traakon 

• I came I saw, I ...wait...what was the question?
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Traakon

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:45 AM

andrew1987

I'm not sure if you had a bad day or what drove you to make this post in the manner and form that you did when you clearly have issues with your own personal work situation. Perhaps you just intended to relay to the world on whole that there is more to being a REF than just standing on the field. It really sounds like your employer has training issues that need dealt with.

View Postemr_ambush_alpha67, on Apr 15 2007, 09:03 AM, said:

the thing that trully makes me mad is the fact that you said that refs go to play speeball during the down time.iv refed a few private groups big games. at one point the team attacking the castle was loosing badly and needed help. we had more then enough refs so i ran down to the shop, grabed a minion and a pod pack and helped the team out. both sides appreciated it and we got tipped higher that day because they loved the way we did a 3 vs 30 match with some of them. so needlees to say. refs can play on the job sometimes. we dont do it all the time. but sometimes you get those groups that are just a little too cocky and want to challenge the refs. this is were its ok to play. also we usally do ironman games at the end of the day. if someone quits and still has a hopper of paint left that they wana let us shoot. we will take the jersey off and play with them. they love this and always keep coming back for more.

While I appreciate that you judged your success as a REF with that group by the size of your TIPS, Professional REF i.e. anyone that gets paid and trained for their position should NEVER mix the job with the play/paying customers. That the Private Group paid better tips after does not matter. If my waiter is giving me great service and knows just what to recommend for my meal this does not mean it is proper or professional for them to sit down and eat with me even if I ask.

Your "job" in the instance you cited was not to grab a marker and join in no matter how many extra REF's there were, it was to look at the situation and determine why the attacking team was doing so badly. Did you not split the teams evenly? Did you not take player experience into account when splitting the teams? Did you not properly use your knowledge of the field to set the sides understanding that the castle team had a specific field advantage? (By you I mean not only you personally but the wider "YOU" as meaning the staff and head REF.) If I see the play you described I (and I would expect others) to figure out what went wrong in matching up the sides and fix the situation for the next round, not get personally involved in the play. Perhaps an evaluation session after the game to discuss with the players “What Went Wrong” and help improve all of their play skills.

If you at some point want to pull the stripes off and play in an open game, then that’s fine if your field allows it, but you are done REFing for the day. If a private group at the end of their day wants to continue play but is down on members to balance and invites you to participate, then you are done REFing for the day when you accept. But remember that you have other responsibilities to your JOB and if you bail early, you leave your fellow REF’s to pick up your slack.

I really don’t mean to slam you personally, but you struck one of my pet peeves with Unprofessional REF’s. Being a REF is a Professional Position of Responsibility and too few understand that and take it for the serious matter it is. Even Employers need to better understand that and many do not
Death is just a passage...so bring more paint!!!

#9 User is offline   emr_ambush_alpha67 

• ambush AkA the law
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:46 AM

ya i always mix my work with play. my boss is the same way. when i ref we all screw around with each other. i do not determ sucess off of tips. I judge sucess if the people come back again. when i hear people tell us how much fun they had i know i did a good job. when we get new people to the field because a friend told them that they liked the refs and how we ran everything i know i did a good job. remeber all work and no pay make 's a dull boy.
Please dont ever tell me how to run my self as a ref. i was taught by my fellow refs and i was gven the ok by my head ref to join in the game. it WAS the last game of the day so ya i was done reffing for the day. and as for the spliting up of players.... it was a BIG game. as in they brought the people, they decided who was on what team. it was a private scenario event to a point. again please dont ever tell me what is worng to do as a ref. you wana know what i think a good ref has to have. #1: SAFTEY: I am the bigest prick when it comes to saftey. #2 CUSTOMER COMPLIANCE: i know how to interact with people. thats why i always get people coming back and asking for me to ref them. #3 ABLE TO HAVE FUN: If you cant have fun at your job what are you gona do? quit. why would i wana do that? i love this sport to much. and #4 SAFTEY AGAIN!: If you can have fun while being safe, makeing the customers happy and not interfeer in the game without tham asking you too then you are a goods ref. you may have mor eyears over me. but i have exsperience's to make me aware of the game and the saftey.
edit #5 EING ABLE TO WORK WELL WITH OTHERS: face it if u cant work with other refs on the field you aint gona go no where

This post has been edited by emr_ambush_alpha67: 15 April 2007 - 01:11 PM

~RIP~ Owego Outlaws
~I AM THE SLINKEY~

#10 User is offline   andrew1987 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:23 AM

Traakon
my beef was mostly with a ref who came expecting to play and not understanding what i means to be a paintball "ref"
the term ref is not accurate, more accurate would be something like: person who works for a paintball field; in reffing games, doing laundry, cleaning masks, setup of speed ball field, take down of the speed field ect ect ect

there is way more to the job then refing and people should know that if they are looking to become a ref

and what do you mean by training issues? its all really simple, wear a mask on the field and work hard, if you don't know how to run the washing machine or inflate air ball bunkers or fill a co2 tank thats fine, just ask but don't just give up, walk away or get someone else to do it, be ready to learn and expect that there will be things you don't know how to do yet

#11 User is offline   Traakon 

• PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:21 PM

andrew1987

Your post was clearly a "venting' of your days frustration with other REF's.

The training issues were with your other Ref's, the ones you were venting about, not being informed from the start what was expected of them by your employeer. Bad management makes things hard on good employees.

#12 User is offline   sQoshTrEE 

• 10yr Balluh
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SQOSHUA

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:13 PM

andrew1987

sorry... but some of that was just dumb.......
obviously yall need to relax at your field a bit, you sound like your all uptight...
people dont hate you because your "slow" they hate you be cause your slow and grumpy about it... also, there should be no reason why you cant play afterwards! i mean, come on, what kind of dumb rule is that? if your working all day with no pay, that sux! the owner must be a bong...

anyways... um yeah, being a ref is hard work, but its a lot of fun.... if YOU make it fun. :dry:

***ehhh, i just relized how grumpy that sounded... :( sorry, long day...

Traakon

i agree... that "pro" Refs should not just go join in on a game just cuzz they are loosing... that peevs me off too... i mean, i can understand (if there are enough refs, and they all agree its alright for you to goof off) joining (at the beginning, not just jumping in at the middle of the game) a game if they dont have enough players, or if they ask to play a "ref" game... we've done that... but it really is unprofessional to just go interrupt some ones game, not to mention rude... :dry:

This post has been edited by sQoshTrEE: 19 April 2007 - 08:26 PM

Official Saber #16, Officialy REF #19,
xBoxLive: TheRiTTZer sQoshyRiTTZ sQoshyEpiqphail

#13 User is offline   emr_ambush_alpha67 

• ambush AkA the law
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:37 PM

ok sorrry. but the person who was running the event actally asked me if i would do it.
~RIP~ Owego Outlaws
~I AM THE SLINKEY~

#14 User is offline   Traakon 

• PipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:49 PM

View Postemr_ambush_alpha67, on Apr 19 2007, 08:37 PM, said:

ok sorrry. but the person who was running the event actally asked me if i would do it.

Their"bad" then..not yours.

#15 User is offline   ~LURCH~ 

• Elite Sniper
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:~LURCH~

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:59 PM

Fist off you need to got off what ever you were on when you wrote that post. Second rethink and draft out a letter and proof read it before you submit it. If your job is being a ref at the local paintball speedball field then I agree you shouldn't have a gun on the field but days I host games I take my gun and play sometimes but I'm also not getting paid to ref either. the part about no respect and that everyone hates you I totally disagree with that and if your not getting tips you should get a job as waiter. I ref at all of our outlaw games and no matter what happens the ref's are in charge and if your not getting respect or people hate you then you might want to look at why they hate you. Most players don't hate good ref's just the bad ones. If you have rules and enforce them you shouldn't have problems with people disrespecting the referee's because they are in charge and if people don't like it then they can leave. but I'm trying to make sense of your post still and I think you meant well but man you should really print that off and take it to an English professor so you can see how bad it really is and I'm terrible at grammar and sentence structure and spelling. I have never given a police officer a tip for doing his job so why should you get a tip for doing yours. If your doing a good job at reffing then you might get tips but don't expect them because it's not a position that people are likely to tip. if your doing it for discounts on paint and playing then you better be good at it because if you stink at reffing and the only reason you do it is for discounts then your most likely going to get canned because of your inability to ref. Great ref's are hard to find but with a little bit of understanding and practice you can be a great ref. Just listen to your players and take advice from those you can learn from and you shouldn't have any problems.

Your Rear End is the only thing to wipe. View My Special Ops Brigade Page
webdog radio warpig

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users