• You cannot reply to this topic

Zack and Miri make a [film] improper use of paintball markers Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   captain ownage 

• GBG, Splat Tag, Hudson WI. St. Croix Minutemen
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:cap. andy

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:51 PM

Have any of you guys/gals seen the movie Zack and Miri make a [film]? It's rated R and is a little bit on the dirty side :ninja: so I doubt that some of our younger members have seen it.

but...there is a seen in it where the main character (Seth rogan from Knocked Up and Pineapple express) is part of a carnival game where participants shoot paintball guns at him while wearing a mascott outfit. no one is wearing a mask except for rogan who is wearing the whole outfit but its not a paintball mask.

Anybody know what part im talking about? I think it displays improper use of paintball markers...i dunno what do you guys think?
98 custom owner
"The more you sweat during peace...the less you bleed during war"
"Do you know the binary language of moisture evaporators?"--Uncle Owen
If you think paintball snipers don't exist...you obviously haven't been owned by a real sniper.
Team captain of the ST. CROIX MINUTEMEN

#2 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:11 AM

Yeah I saw it, but its not like they were actually playing paintball, so who cares?
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#3 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:22 AM

View Postcaptain ownage, on Mar 21 2009, 01:51 AM, said:

Have any of you guys/gals seen the movie Zack and Miri make a [film]? It's rated R and is a little bit on the dirty side :unsure: so I doubt that some of our younger members have seen it.

but...there is a seen in it where the main character (Seth rogan from Knocked Up and Pineapple express) is part of a carnival game where participants shoot paintball guns at him while wearing a mascott outfit. no one is wearing a mask except for rogan who is wearing the whole outfit but its not a paintball mask.

Anybody know what part im talking about? I think it displays improper use of paintball markers...i dunno what do you guys think?

I think it's important to present paintball so it maintains a positive image...but then I remember a movie where someone was playing golf with a hockey stick...the guy seemed to do pretty well, but I wouldn't try it myself. I think it's important to consider the context of the situation we're presented with, and maintain an appropriate, relevent perspective.

I know I can't believe everything I see displayed before me on a movie screen, but I also can't believe how stupid the real things people do on paintball fields and on youtube for all the rest of us to witness...personally, I'm a little more concerned with those random acts of stupidity than those depicted on the silver screen.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:42 AM

I would hope that if the viewer is mature enough to understand that film that they also understand paintball has its safety rules. Even bigger than not wearing a mask was the fact that they are shooting paintball guns in a public place without some form of isolation like a net.

Most advertisements and film get it wrong. They do stupid stuff like shooting closely, or taking off their mask (if they're wearing one to begin with). Similarly, they do stuff like not wear a helmet while on a motorcycle. It's unfortunate, but it happens. I figure its kind of natural selection if someone gets hurt trying to do something unsafe that they saw in a movie

This post has been edited by Piller: 21 March 2009 - 10:42 AM

Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#5 User is offline   Shalendar 

• The kittens of my bone marrow are pleased
  • PipPip

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

recently ive seen a commercial for a sitcom(dont remember which one) where they played paintball. they were only wearing googles, not a full mask, and 2 of the characters pulled off their googles inside a building to make out during the game!

"thats my goal, get sigged by everybody on the forums" - Spades -- "who knows when I'll need a barrel in my ASA?" - MIR Sniper
3 types of people in the world: Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs. I am a Sheepdog. -- My feedback (+3/-0)

#6 User is offline   SubMiler 

• Pistolero
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

Players should start improving their images and actions on the field (as well as off) before anyone worrys about presentation in the media. It's become either a "Hey we're military and we have team names like MurderDeathKill! but respect us because we respect the sport of paintball... ignore our markers that look like real guns because this is a real sniper rifle of a paintball gun! I mean marker, yup gotta be PC!" or "Sup dude, I'm all agg up in this hizzle and it's time to lay down some paint to mow some muppets!".

This post has been edited by SubMiler: 21 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

#7 User is offline   captain ownage 

• GBG, Splat Tag, Hudson WI. St. Croix Minutemen
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cap. andy

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:41 PM

I brought it up because i was reading that thread about the dumb videos on youtube and i just watched this movie last night and i know some of the paintballers in the forum take the display of paintball VERY seriously

View Postd4rkmonkey, on Mar 21 2009, 12:11 PM, said:

Yeah I saw it, but its not like they were actually playing paintball, so who cares?

yeah its no big deal really but i was curious if people actually do that?

View PostSubMiler, on Mar 21 2009, 02:27 PM, said:

Players should start improving their images and actions on the field (as well as off) before anyone worrys about presentation in the media. It's become either a "Hey we're military and we have team names like MurderDeathKill! but respect us because we respect the sport of paintball... ignore our markers that look like real guns because this is a real sniper rifle of a paintball gun! I mean marker, yup gotta be PC!" or "Sup dude, I'm all agg up in this hizzle and it's time to lay down some paint to mow some muppets!".

lol
98 custom owner
"The more you sweat during peace...the less you bleed during war"
"Do you know the binary language of moisture evaporators?"--Uncle Owen
If you think paintball snipers don't exist...you obviously haven't been owned by a real sniper.
Team captain of the ST. CROIX MINUTEMEN

#8 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:36 PM

View Postcaptain ownage, on Mar 20 2009, 10:51 PM, said:

I think it displays improper use of paintball markers...i dunno what do you guys think?

I think you worry waaaaay too much about this stuff.
And I think that anyone with similar threads does too.

Trust me, they are far safer than an actual paintball game. You think they want to scrap a movie because the main character took a paintball to the eye/mouth and is now out of action?
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#9 User is offline   Unkel Fester 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Unkel Fester

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:40 PM

View PostShalendar, on Mar 21 2009, 11:56 AM, said:

recently ive seen a commercial for a sitcom(dont remember which one) where they played paintball. they were only wearing googles, not a full mask, and 2 of the characters pulled off their googles inside a building to make out during the game!

That would be The Big Bang Theory. I saw the episode, there was a lot of marker misuse in that episode. Like leaving the marker gassed up and loaded without a barrel bag on it in the living room of the apartment, and of course someone picks it up and it accidentally goes off. Now it didn't hit anything except a couch cushion, but its the principal of the thing. Would any of US do that? ;)

#10 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

Honestly, I don't see the huge deal with misuse of paintball equipment in films and tv.

Nobody accepts it as reality (especially in the context of the original post). Do people that participate in other activities complain when their activity of choice is not represented safely? Generally, no. Why not? Because they are secure enough to realize that film and television are fake and nobody expects it to be real.

Now that all said, do I find misuse of paintball funny? No, it's just tasteless to me... but so is the rest of the subset of comedy such as the one listed in the original post.

Would I, if involved in making a film, represent things in a more realistic and safe fashion? Of course, but that's because: 1. I understand the subject matter and 2. I tend to keep things more on the believable side as a whole and less on the ridiculous side.

Warpaint brings up a better point -- the youtube videos of actual idiots doing dumb things is far more harmful than anything that is coming from a source that everyone knows is fake (Hollywood).

This post has been edited by Thalion: 22 March 2009 - 11:40 AM

Member of Team Akkadian

#11 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:56 PM

View PostUnkel Fester, on Mar 21 2009, 03:40 PM, said:

View PostShalendar, on Mar 21 2009, 11:56 AM, said:

That would be The Big Bang Theory. I saw the episode, there was a lot of marker misuse in that episode. Like leaving the marker gassed up and loaded without a barrel bag on it in the living room of the apartment, and of course someone picks it up and it accidentally goes off. Now it didn't hit anything except a couch cushion, but its the principal of the thing. Would any of US do that? :)

Oh, I like that show. When was the episode so I can go get in online?

Also, I often leave my stuff loaded and gassed, but everyone in my house knows that you don't touch Pirate's paintball stuff.
Even the dog stays away from it. The cat, however, will lay on top of my NXe gear bag.
Posted Image
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#12 User is offline   Agnoeo 

• The lunatics are in my head
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:40 AM

I can see the concern. I watch Van Wilder the rise of Taj, and there was a lot of stuff going on that you would be kicked off the field. Now with that said, its a movie and actors need to be seen make a movie. Like the guy up there said, if its the actual safety while they were filming, I'm sure they had some experts on the set to make sure everything was safe. I think the Paintball industry needs to take a more active approach to safety concerns.

When my friends and I made an outlaw field we weren't completely aware of safety issues. We always had our mask on while playing and never took them off. But we never used barrel plugs, and if we weren't playing we didn't wear a mask. There was a time my friends were playing and I was filming and wasn't wearing a mask. There was never any type of safety manuel or guidline books or anything that said this possibly could happen. In reality it would have been learn by experience...which I'm glad nothing accidental happened. Mind you we were all very safe about handling our markers. Never just pointed them at each other at close range, and always had safeties on...even usually had our barrel blocked by a tree or in a bag incase it went off. But in all honesty, I never heard of a barrel plug till I went to an official field.

So I don't think a movie is going to be the big factor when it comes to people having safety issues. It comes from people putting stupid real life things on youtube, no common sense and most importantly, no one to give good information on safety guidlines and rules. Maybe companies could spend the extra buck to put an extensive guide with all equipent. When i bought my walmart marker, it had only a few warnings that obvisouly didn't make an impression on me because I don't remember. So there's my opinion on the topic.
III - One Ball, One Shot, One Kill South East Brigade Patches Coming Soon! Special Ops Pump Crew
So if a pilot scratches his multi million dollar F22, does that raise his auto insurance rates?? -Legato

#13 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:11 AM

View PostAgnoeo, on Mar 23 2009, 03:40 AM, said:

So I don't think a movie is going to be the big factor when it comes to people having safety issues. It comes from people putting stupid real life things on youtube, no common sense and most importantly, no one to give good information on safety guidlines and rules. Maybe companies could spend the extra buck to put an extensive guide with all equipent. When i bought my walmart marker, it had only a few warnings that obvisouly didn't make an impression on me because I don't remember. So there's my opinion on the topic.

the safety info is imprinted right on the gun!, how obvious do you want them to make it.....have them put it in the lens so you see it every time you wear it?...

the thing is... whenever someone is hurt with paintball equipment, that means someone was being stupid......and there is currently no cure for stupid.

#14 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:35 AM

View PostCesar, on Mar 23 2009, 10:11 AM, said:

View PostAgnoeo, on Mar 23 2009, 03:40 AM, said:

the safety info is imprinted right on the gun!, how obvious do you want them to make it.....have them put it in the lens so you see it every time you wear it?...

the thing is... whenever someone is hurt with paintball equipment, that means someone was being stupid......and there is currently no cure for stupid.

Plus, its common sense to use safety equipment when playing something like paintball. I mean, its a projectile travelling ~300 feet per second. I'm pretty sure I'd look for some form of safety equipment for anything travelling 300 FPS at me.
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#15 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:30 AM

Im with Thalion on this one...you just cant take TV seriously.
When PB is used on a sitcom or movie, its purpose is to be part of a storyline, NOT a definitive guide to paintball safety. OF COURSE people will take thie masks of & do all kinds of "unsafe" stuff like that...just like they do with footballs, baseball bats, hockey sticks, and any other piece of sporting equipment. Its a sitcom...its not supposed to be taken seriously.

Getting upset at a TV show because they show players removing their masks etc is like golfers getting mad at Adam Sandler for beating up his caddy in Happy Gilmore.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users