• You cannot reply to this topic

Paintball in the Army Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Sheriff_Matt

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

Since I've been in the Army I've had the chance to experience what the Army considers to be paintball. Every time we get ready for a great day of training I start to get excited, thinking that it's going to be awesome...getting paid to play paintball, but it never fails, it always ends up being a huge disappointment. The rules are never made clear, hardly anyone knows how a paintball gun works(or worse, considers themselves to be an expert), and the tactics attempted fail terribly.... It'd be fun if it was more of a capture the flag type of deal, but it was more to the effect of running battle drills all day long whilst shooting paintballs at eachother. There were no winners or losers, no-one was "tagged-out"... There wasn't even really a point to shooting each other because regardless of how many times people got hit no one stopped shooting. Always ends up being a frustrating mess that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Makes me miss going out and actually playing paintball. I can't really complain though, it's better than not playing paintball at all I guess :)

#2 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:47 PM

Oof, training fail. I know all about those.

The thing is your training can't really be "capture the flag", it's a combat simulation as such it has to have a realistic objective or else there's not much point.

Paintball guns in general aren't the best for training. I mean, they're alright, they beat the hell out of red guns or any non firing trainint aid. But they don't work anything like the real world weapons as far as ergonomics and controlls go, they're too inacurate and too short ranged so you're never going to get the best training experience using them. If your commanders want to get some good training in they're gonna need to invest in some simunition, so you'll have a longer ranged, more accurate fring training aid that works and feels exactly like your issued weapon. I suppose lasers are alright too, but I imagine those only work if you hit laser recievers on your target and that means a great many hits aren't going to be counted so I really don't like those much either. For good force on force training you need an exact match of your real world weapon that fires a safe physical projectile that's a hell of a lot better than a paintball.

The only kind of training paintball can even almost be good for is close quarters, when your targets are ten feet away they work just fine. But it'd still be better to have sim rounds.

Anyway, you should talk to your commander or whoever is in charge of the training exercises and get some rules laid out and communicated effectively to the troops. I would imagine for a training exercise it'd be one hit and you're "dead", guns don't count. It'd probably be good for your carreer too, taking that initiative would make you look good. Of course don't jump the chain of command but just move up one echelon at a time with your concerns.
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   thrasher_565 

• Paintball
  • Pip

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

but if i was in the army ied probably use mag fed markers so ied get faster at switching.

This post has been edited by thrasher_565: 17 December 2011 - 10:24 PM

#4 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:28 AM

You need to know the purpose of your training or you learn nothing.
But you have mentioned it in your post - repeated drills

Winners and losers are clearly not the purpose,, repetition and drills are

Paintball is being used as a cheap option to add the risk of begins hit. It is vastly cheaper then laser systems or simulated ammunition, and normal basic markers are cheaper than mag feds
You dont need to die on being hit because they want you to keep going on and continuing the drill

Winning / losing / dieing are not part of this exercise
If instructors want casualties they will pick you out when they want even if you are hit or not. Then you colleagues will have to deal with you as a casualty

This post has been edited by Tommikka: 18 December 2011 - 03:31 AM

#5 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sheriff_Matt

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:41 AM

View PostTommikka, on 18 December 2011 - 03:28 AM, said:

You need to know the purpose of your training or you learn nothing.
But you have mentioned it in your post - repeated drills

Winners and losers are clearly not the purpose,, repetition and drills are

Paintball is being used as a cheap option to add the risk of begins hit. It is vastly cheaper then laser systems or simulated ammunition, and normal basic markers are cheaper than mag feds
You dont need to die on being hit because they want you to keep going on and continuing the drill

Winning / losing / dieing are not part of this exercise
If instructors want casualties they will pick you out when they want even if you are hit or not. Then you colleagues will have to deal with you as a casualty

Yea that's pretty much the plain and simple of it. The paintball aspect was just added to the repetition in an attempt to make it fun so we'd get more out of it.

There were a few of us that made suggestions on how to improve on what we did, not sure if it's ever going to happen but we'll see.

#6 User is offline   kev102491 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

paint ball drills not simunition?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users