• You cannot reply to this topic

DIY Hammer A semi-easy ghetto way to make a DT Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Custom Cowboy 

• Heavy Gunner in a Kilt
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Custom Cowboy

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:23 PM

DISCLAIMER - If you want one that looks nice and comes pre-tuned because you aren't machanically inclined, go to DOC92 and he sells these things already done. Its the easier way to go.

Alright, someone wanted to know how to make their own ghetto DT. I will explain how to build one with a three tank input and firestorm cranks. I don't know if the cabelas cranks have the ambidextrous option but if they do, then they should work just as well.

First, you need two pieces of flat steel, 1/16" should do. You could also use Al, but I like steel. The rear piece needs to be 1 1/2" x about 5 1/2"-6", depending on how far you want your guns apart and what hoppers you use. The best way is to stand your A5's together at the proper distance with your hoppers on, then measure the distance outside to outside on the grips. Your next piece only needs to be 1/2"-3/4" x 5"-5 1/2". Again, while standing your A5's up, measure the distance between the front grip screw brackets, outside to outside.
Secondly, you will need a drill press or else a drill and a steady hand and a vice. I don't reccomend option two and if any of you drill holes in your appendages trying this I'm not responsible.
You will need six size 10 x 32 screws, a few washers, and loctite. A grinder is also nice if you want a more finished look and safer feel.(I'll explain later)
You will need a few 1/8" NPT threaded plumbing parts. I reccomend one MxfxM tee, one FxFxF tee, one MxF 90 degree elbow, and one FxF 90 degree elbow. Plus a lot of teflon tape and some good, non marring wrenches.
One 6 inch size 6 x 32 threaded rod.
Two size 10 x 32 nuts.
Ok, time to leave home depot.
At the paintball store, you will need an on/off with the option of air output on either side(I reccomend the CP), a mounting rail, two quick disconnect nipples, two A5 to standard ASA grip adapters, one short lentgh of steel braid hose, and two firestorm cranks.

Cut your steel stock to size. Grind the corners round to keep from getting stabbed whenever you pick up the gun.
Make a paper template of your rear pracket and dip your grip adapters in ink or something and press them down on the edges so you know where to drill your holes. Make another imprint dead center on your bracket template too.
Drill all six holes out to size per your size 8x32 screws., check your fingers for holes that shouldn't be there. If holes are present, go to the hospital, you can finish this tomorrow.
Using your 8x32 screws, attach the grip adapters to the back bracket.
Using two more screws, mount the mounting rail to the center holes.
You should be about here, minus the on/off and plumbing.
Posted Image

Now take your front bracket and drill two holes to size per your front grip screws(these holes should be bigger than the last ones, if they aren't, your last holes were too big, or these are too small. Fix it.

Put that stuff aside.
Take your plumbing and build it like so -

into one side of the On/off ASA, install the 90 degree male x female elbow. It only goes in one way and you can't mess it up. Into the open end of that, install a tee. At the other male end of the tee, install the female x female elbow. Into the two open holes, install the quick disconnect nipples.
Side one done.
Into the other side of the ASA, install the short length of braided hose. Onto that, install the other tee using the middle hole. Now, remove the pin that holds your tombstone from your A5 and pull out the tombstone. If you haven't already, remove the hose from the existing A5 ASA. Remove the A5 ASA while you're at it. You should be holding a braided hose with the tombstone at one end and a 90 degree chromed elbow at the other. Repeat on gun number two. Install these hoses, using the elbowed, threaded end, into the two open holes on the tee. Once they are down, tighten to make them so that the tombstones will easily slide back into place.
Here is a top view with solid plumbing to replace the short braided hose.
Posted Image

Now, install your firestorm cranks and take the handle off the left one.
Bolt the guns together(no plumbing required yet) and measure the distance between the open holes in the firestorm cranks. Cut your threaded rod about 1/2"-3/4" longer than this distance. Take it all apart.
First thing, install the threaded rod into the right side firestorm crank. Then put it into the left one and crank the right one to start it.
Line up your guns over the brackets.
Keep tightening the firestorm connecter until the guns line up withe the Grip adapters and front grip bracket.
Bolt it all toghether.
Mount the ASA on the rail and plug in the tombstones.
Screw a tank into the ASA, plug two more into the quick disconnects using remotes, and strike fear into the hearts of men.

Optional
If you don't want a lower tank, just run your remotes into one tee, connect it to another, and run your A5 hoses from that into the guns.
If you want to take off your remotes and still use the gun, you can build quick disconnect caps by using the female Q.D. receptacle and filling the open end with a 1/8" NPT plug. Then you can just cap the Q.D.s when you want to run with no back tanks.
Your finished product ought to look something like this, but with bigger hoppers.
Posted Image

Good luck.

This post has been edited by Custom Cowboy: 02 September 2009 - 06:14 PM

www.shatteredangelspaintball.com

#2 User is offline   a5rt15 

• Push 'em back
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:a5rt16

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:11 PM

If I decide to run two guns off one tank would you suggest using compressed air? Right now i'm using two 20oz's to power one tippmann 98 per tank. I am also using macro lines and we are now having problems with them. Should we just run steel braided hoses instead?

Riot Kids Scenario Team

#3 User is offline   Custom Cowboy 

• Heavy Gunner in a Kilt
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:16 PM

If you run CO2, macro will never work properly, you need braided hose. The etup above is CO2 or air optional. If you want two guns off one tank, I have to reccomend a BIG Co2 tank. Like what Longballer uses. 20lbs. Otherwise, if you want to go through a case before reloading, you need two big air tanks.

#4 User is offline   biojuggeranut 

• The one sport you dont wanna streak at! = pain
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:22 AM

Custom Cowboy, do you where I can pick up some of that steel, they didnt have any at Home Depot.

#5 User is offline   RogueShooter 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:roguefaktion

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:31 PM

well, one place to order from online is onlinemetals.com... i haven't personally ordered anything from there but was referred their by a guy I know who gets some of his stuff from there. Look in your local phone book for metal supply stores
"Use humility to make the enemy haughty. Tire them by flight. Cause division among them. When they are unprepared, attack and make your move when they do not expect it." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Jay, AKA Rogue... Chairman, Imminent Threat Scenario Paintball Team Proudly Sponsored By Urban Ops Paintball and Cousin's Paintball NJ

#6 User is offline   DOC92 

• Quadzilla not gojira
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DOC

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:36 PM

Might want to put a diclaimer before the instructions. ;) "Custom Cowboy assumes no responsibility if a person is repeatedly stabbed by their equipment or drills a hole through their finger. Attempting to construct this device is done so at your own risk. " LOL
32bps+8hours+12cases=MMG http://doubletrouble.21.forumer.com/ My tech guy: DoubleTrouble2

#7 User is offline   a5rt15 

• Push 'em back
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:29 PM

Alright thanks cowboy I'll be buying steel hoses soon and one more question. To hook the 98's together I'm screwing a flat piece of steel to the ASA adapters but I'm not sure where else to connect the two guns. Any suggestions?

Riot Kids Scenario Team

#8 User is offline   Custom Cowboy 

• Heavy Gunner in a Kilt
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:40 PM

Two wal-mart scope holders for a ruger 10/22 or other rifle clamped to the barrels and bolted to a steel plate. And the flat steel should be in the rack with the threaded rod. Check other hardware stores that have good help around who know what they're talking about, like Ace or McLendons.

And if you hurt yourself building this, I'm not responsible. You do this stuff at your own risk. I'm also not responsible for your chiropractic bills after a 24 hour scenario.
Some advice after you build it and you're ready to play - Stretch. A lot.

#9 User is offline   Erndogg 

• Team Suburban Support
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Erndogg

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:49 PM

if the A5s have double tiggers and appropriate cranks is that going to effect the way the plumbing is set up?

#10 User is offline   DOC92 

• Quadzilla not gojira
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DOC

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:59 PM

As long as the hoses are long enough, they should be well out of the way. The standard A5 hoses work perfect on the original DT kit and should be fine on homemade versions as long as the hose will reach your fittings.
32bps+8hours+12cases=MMG http://doubletrouble.21.forumer.com/ My tech guy: DoubleTrouble2

#11 User is offline   biojuggeranut 

• The one sport you dont wanna streak at! = pain
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:04 PM

View PostCustom Cowboy, on Feb 19 2007, 09:40 PM, said:

Two wal-mart scope holders for a ruger 10/22 or other rifle clamped to the barrels and bolted to a steel plate. And the flat steel should be in the rack with the threaded rod. Check other hardware stores that have good help around who know what they're talking about, like Ace or McLendons.

And if you hurt yourself building this, I'm not responsible. You do this stuff at your own risk. I'm also not responsible for your chiropractic bills after a 24 hour scenario.

Yea, true that boo ;)

But no really, I just tried my hammer "set up" and I am just to WEAK to carry it, I dont even have paint , so Im going to finish the OGH and see if my older friend (he is 22) has the funds and the strength to carry and use it.

Lol, you have to see my new set up, its my epic (weighing in at two pounds) with a 12 bps gravity hopper, and a 13 ci tank. Lol, its under 4.5 pound with paint. A HUGE change from what I had planned for the ghetto omen/a-5 rig.

This post has been edited by biojuggeranut: 19 February 2007 - 11:06 PM

#12 User is offline   Pumbaa 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Pumbaa

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:10 PM

View Postbiojuggeranut, on Feb 20 2007, 01:04 AM, said:

View PostCustom Cowboy, on Feb 19 2007, 09:40 PM, said:

Yea, true that boo ;)

But no really, I just tried my hammer "set up" and I am just to WEAK to carry it, I dont even have paint , so Im going to finish the OGH and see if my older friend (he is 22) has the funds and the strength to carry and use it.

Lol, you have to see my new set up, its my epic (weighing in at two pounds) with a 12 bps gravity hopper, and a 13 ci tank. Lol, its under 4.5 pound with paint. A HUGE change from what I had planned for the ghetto omen/a-5 rig.

Do you have the Hammer or Broadsword vest (or similar)? They allow you to clip the gun in and support a lot of the weight.
A5, Spec Ops: A2 Foregrip EZ Air-Thru; Dogleg Stock with custom cheekrest, NCStar 45mm Red Dot, T4 Offset Hopper, Pure Energy Remote/slide check. Palmer Brass Barrel with APEX/ Palmer adapter, 114CI4500 HPA, Broadsword vest, next the R/T and then...

#13 User is offline   Custom Cowboy 

• Heavy Gunner in a Kilt
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:35 AM

Both vests should have the Alice clip plugins and hold the gun that way. You just need the straps from Cops911 to clip in. I have the hammer vest and like I said, an alice clip mounted at the top of each shoulder clips to a strap that goes to the back rings on each A5.

Question on your sig - Are the Palmer barrels really that good? I plan on buying a Blazer next but I wasn't sure about the brass barrel with it.

#14 User is offline   a5rt15 

• Push 'em back
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:05 PM

I'll be fine with the weight issue and Cowboy, what did you use to connect the two cranks?

Riot Kids Scenario Team

#15 User is offline   Custom Cowboy 

• Heavy Gunner in a Kilt
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:11 AM

The size 6 x 32 thread per inch threaded rod, cut to fit.
The firestorm cranks are threaded on both sides for attaching the crank handle to either side. I just took advantage of that design.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users