• You cannot reply to this topic

Ion issue strange velocity fluctuations

#1 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Post icon  Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:03 PM

I ve got a standard Ion with an QEV & its acting wierd...
Yesterday I was getting wild velocity spikes & drops while trying to chrono in for a game. Limit was 285, & I was getting anywhere from 260 to 310. So to keep it safely ubder 285 I had to crank it down to the 230-275 range. Annoying.
I hanvt done anything unusual to the gun lately, and last game it was solid. Is this a regulator problem, or should I be looking for a loose connection somewhere?
Any input would be appriciated.

This post has been edited by The Stuntman: 16 September 2007 - 10:04 PM

#2 User is offline   lonegunm4n 

• Contract Killer
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:lonegunm4n

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:09 PM

What psi does the gauge read on the regulator when you fire?
well, it's a futuristic modern world
but things aren't what they seem
someday you'd better wake up
from this stupid fantasy
-Bloodstains by Agent Orange

#3 User is offline   Kodiak 

• Captain DHP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kodiak

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:50 PM

If you have adjusted your dwell anytime in the recent past I would change it back. If not I would throughly clean your marker to include disassembly of your regulator. In and of itself your marker PSI does not mean a whole lot for your problem.

#4 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 16 September 2007 - 11:08 PM

View PostThe Stuntman, on Sep 17 2007, 01:03 AM, said:

Yesterday I was getting wild velocity spikes & drops while trying to chrono in for a game. Limit was 285, & I was getting anywhere from 260 to 310. So to keep it safely ubder 285 I had to crank it down to the 230-275 range. Annoying.
I hanvt done anything unusual to the gun lately, and last game it was solid. Is this a regulator problem, or should I be looking for a loose connection somewhere?

You need to identify if you are using HPA or CO2 and what tank reg (on an HPA)
...and the brand of QEV. Trust me, there's a big difference between them and our responses will depend on your answer.

IF you mean to say standard as "Stock," I'll try to respond in that reference...
++++++

If HPA - The air source will not cause a spike. Likely, it's something in the in-line regulator. Either you need to tear it down and perform maintenence on the internals (Clean and grease with dow33)...or if you've done that already, the reg may need a rebuild or replacement (depending on how much you've put through it).

If Co2 - Co2 is notorious for spiking. If you are using it (even if antisiphonned like it should be), replace it with HPA.

HOWEVER -

The QEV could be clogged with grease or just not a good QEV in general. Clippards (regardless of name...virtue, trinity, et al) are best, followed by Eclipse.
ANS and SP360's are the 'worst' because they are more restrictive than the previously named. If you are using a 'substandard' QEV, your dwell/recharge rate needs to be increased. Yes, this will slow down your rate of fire but were talking fractions of milliseconds...not hours. Increase your dwell/recharge time by a few blinks at a time until you get a consistancy of less than 8 fps over the chrono.

Now...if your Ion is stock, with the exception for the QEV, your operating pressure should be set at about 160/170 psi and dwell around 30-35 ms...possibly as high as 42 ms. It's true that your velocity is set with the input PSI and this number WILL change...but that should give you a good starting point to work from. From there, you raise or lower your dwell/recharge rate to accomodate consistancy.

Basicly it's this...dwell/recharge time governs chrono consistancy. Unless you have a seriously upgraded marker (new, lighter and higher flowing bolt to start with), you really can't lower dwell time too much (even WITH a good QEV).
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#5 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:36 PM

View Postdruid, on Sep 17 2007, 02:08 AM, said:

View PostThe Stuntman, on Sep 17 2007, 01:03 AM, said:

ANS and SP360's are the 'worst' because they are more restrictive than the previously named. If you are using a 'substandard' QEV, your dwell/recharge rate needs to be increased. Yes, this will slow down your rate of fire but were talking fractions of milliseconds...not hours. Increase your dwell/recharge time by a few blinks at a time until you get a consistancy of less than 8 fps over the chrono.

In response to this, here's a goood place to start. I have a 360 QEV and my dwell is at 19. When I first got it, I set it to 13 because that's what everyone else with a QEV recommended. I had massive velocity spikes and terrible drop-off while ramping. I raised it to 19 and it fixed all my problems.

Note that the most limiting factor of the Ion's ROF is the board. Even without a QEV, the Ion would techinically be able of achieveing around 23 bps if it wasn't for the cap on the board, so those 6-7 blinks in dwell won't effect the potential of the marker. Just compensate for the change in dwell by dropping your recharge a couple of blinks.

#6 User is offline   time bomb 

• you only have one butt to risk
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:48 PM

strip your reg, clean it, and lube it extremely well

#7 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:40 PM

View Posttime bomb, on Sep 17 2007, 08:48 PM, said:

I wouldn't give advice like that without eliminating lesser factors first. Notice how we all started out with "Check your dwell and raise it by a few clicks". You wouldn't want to disassemble your whole reg, lube it up, and reassemble it all, only to find out you're still having problems because the real source was a low dwell setting, which takes a few seconds to fix.

Just my opinion on ixing problems; start with the small stuff first :blink:.

#8 User is offline   PunkElvis18 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:PunkElvis18

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:53 PM

View PostPhilipp122, on Sep 17 2007, 07:40 PM, said:

View Posttime bomb, on Sep 17 2007, 08:48 PM, said:

I wouldn't give advice like that without eliminating lesser factors first. Notice how we all started out with "Check your dwell and raise it by a few clicks". You wouldn't want to disassemble your whole reg, lube it up, and reassemble it all, only to find out you're still having problems because the real source was a low dwell setting, which takes a few seconds to fix.

Just my opinion on ixing problems; start with the small stuff first :dodgy:.

yah start simple first.

new battery
grease the bolt
play with the dwell
reset any crazy board settings
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE

#9 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:24 PM

View PostPunkElvis18, on Sep 17 2007, 10:53 PM, said:

yah start simple first.

new battery
grease the bolt
play with the dwell
reset any crazy board settings

Wow I can't believe we forgot to post that one. That's always step #1 when dealing with Ion problems. Although I don't think velocity spikes would be caused by the battery, you never know. :dodgy:

#10 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for all the tips...
As it turns out, I found the culprit - a cracked/chipped O-ring. Duh! :P I'm an idiot sometimes...
...or just really tired. Just got back from a 11 hour scenario game & my brain was still a little fuzzy & not up to full speed. :wacko:
But I changed the battery, checked lines for leaks, & gave it a good cleaning anyway. Happy Gun!

#11 User is offline   wieczorek24 

• Don't go into the long grass!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:chavez

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:04 AM

the same thing happened to me, co2 doesnt like o-rings lol
<div align="center">
<a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=142281&hl=lethal" target="_blank"><!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro-->Feedback +4/-0<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></a></div>

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users