• You cannot reply to this topic

MacDev Drone

#16 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:35 PM

They all thought I forgot about pictures....nope!

Supair was not on the menu today...later.

Pictures!

Size compairison pictures
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Action shots
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Krazy8: 19 September 2009 - 10:36 PM

#17 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

• Commonwealth Expeditionary Force
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:DigitalPirate

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:16 PM

I wants it now. :wacko:

#18 User is offline   Warsmith 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Warsmith

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:56 AM

Krazy, did you use the stock barrel? It's hard to tell in the picture with the shroud but looks like a Shift.

#19 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:48 AM

I used three barrels during the day.

I started out playing with a 12" HammerHead MoFo shooting a .688 stainless back. That is what is in the first action shot.

Oh...one cool little feature. THe front ring on the shroud unscrews and can be removed so you can use barrels with bigger back thanthe stock....back to my testimony....

I then switched out to an original short HammHead Shark Tooth. Loud and proud baby! At a total length of 4 5/8" the tip of the barrel stuck out past the shroud just a bit under an 1"!
I lost 30 fps just changing to the tiny barrel and the increase in velocity to 285 made the thing kick pretty good and have a substantial amount of barrel climb under three round burst or full auto.

And yes I did spend over half a case with just the stock barrel. It is quieter than all the rest. Bore seems to be .689. It is not marked but the paint I was shooting with a .688 still fit good and couple that with MacDev releasing their previous guns with .689 I thought it was a logical conclusion to jump to without a set of calipers.
It performed veryvery well.

The Shift kit kept the same sound signature of the stock barrel but actually reduced the recoil of the Drone vs the stock barrel. Now I did not shoot the shift in game...but Ronin58 giggled a bit while unloading two pods of paint at a poor helpless cluster of trees in each of the select fire modes.

#20 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:11 PM

Looks awesome. How was the consistency? Was everything tight? And I know it's still new, but how was it on air? I'm assuming it'd be like the Droid, but I never really heard anything about the Drone's efficiency.

I think it would look much cooler without the shroud.

This post has been edited by StealingYerMail: 20 September 2009 - 04:12 PM

Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#21 User is offline   Boomer14 

• Irregulators Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Durty Dan

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:46 PM

I 'll share my own input on the Drone. The most striking thing about it is how natural it is to point. Anyone that picked it up, from diehard speedballers to first timers, could hit exactly what they wanted without even thinking. It is that ballanced. The weight distribution and natural point of aim will let you get those long ball one-shots to the gogs that took a stream of paint before. My preference is to use a stock and a huge remote tank, and have used the T2W stock on my 07 cyborg for a while now, but this beats it hands down.

One word of caution with the Drone, though. That bottom button is entirely too tempting to use and go to 3-rd or full auto during a game. You will empty every pod you are carrying it is so fun.

I am the one in the last two action pics that Krazy8 posted... Notice that half my pods are empty :( Also notice that I was using a diska on a sharktooth. That thing was so loud that my team mate at the chrono had to plug his ears until I was done. It was ear splitting on full auto.

I couldn't really get any tight velocity consistancy with the rec grade paint I was using. 10 shots would spread between 265 and 280. I assume that with better paint and more break in time, that will improve. Consistancy is nice to measure, but what really matters is that it hits what I point it at. I had one player complain of over shooting when I drilled him with all 3 balls in one 3 shot burst in the chest, from over 100' away... oh well.

In my opinion, this is an outstanding paintball gun at an unbelievable price. The craftsmanship and quality of the components are on par with the RX. 12-1500 rounds from a 68/4500 is great efficeincy from any gun, but at this price it is outstanding. The operating parts are incredibly simple, and it is easy to clean. I have decided to shoot it until it quits, just to see what kind of punishment it can endure. As of now, it has 3 cases through it and has not been taken apart. The only thing I will do is ensure the eyes are clean and maybe look at the regulator filter. As of now, I have not chopped a ball, and it has not had any kind of malfunction.

Now for some pics to suppliment Krazy8's:

The box:
Posted Image

With the sharktooth and diska mounted:
Posted Image

With a 14" hammerhead mounted (my favorite for longballing)
Posted Image

There is nothing wrong with the stock barrel, and the next game I will use it. I normally use the hamerheads on my 07 so this made a better comparrison for me.

This post has been edited by Boomer14: 20 September 2009 - 05:59 PM

#22 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:50 PM

OK. Today was a bit of speedball. I reffed a small pump tourney.
During the break and then again after the games I let players shoot it in pick up games.

Sold another one that way. So now I am upto three sold! If the responce of the players alone was the judge....this gun performs on the level of the $1200 guns available currently.

Anyhow. Iceman could not get used to the feel of the Drone while snap shooting. His thoughts were that he is just so attuned to shooting Borgs and Cockers that his brain resisted change.
And again the barrel bag took a test shoot...that would be 8 BBD kills for the weekend...hehehehe!

And I must correct my shot per fill on my 68ci tank. Iceman made me count a full Dye Loclid pod.
Tuens out a Dye pod hold 158-160 rounds of paint! So the shots per fill jumps from 1500 to 1600.

1600 shots per 68/45....yeah that works for me.

Boomer...NiteHawk has your Trane sweat shirt!

#23 User is offline   flyweightnate 

• Closed bolt. Rock n cock, or rock n roll.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:flyweightnate

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:03 AM

Can I see some photos with no rails, no shroud?
Feedback.
"Listen to nate hes always right, no joke"- Mighty Mike

#24 User is offline   kage83 

• KaGe
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kage83

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:33 AM

View Postflyweightnate, on Sep 21 2009, 11:03 AM, said:

Can I see some photos with no rails, no shroud?

it's a tactical drone...i don't think you can take the rails off. I thought i saw a pic without the shroud tho.

Also on a side note, Krazy8, if you have pictures on your phone and data text messenging, you can just send them to your email address...but you probably already knew that. :)
If you are a Christian paintballer, put this in your sig

#25 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:39 PM

The rails are milled out of the same piece of stock aluminum as the rest of the body, so they are no removed without a mill.
The shroud...well that is held in place by a compression colar and I have a request out for Boomer to work on that picture. And since he is in an earlier time zone he will get to it before I do!

I did speak with Dianne about a non railed version....she said there were plenty of other guns out there to choose from with out rails and that is what help[s stand the Drone away from the available choices in this price range.

My last thought everytime I consider how well the Drone performs is if it performs this well and they consider the Drone a middle of the road gun the Clone must be amazing.
My thoughts have been attested to being correct by an Aussie that has tested the Clone prototype. I am kinda having to chew my nails while I wait for November!

#26 User is offline   Boomer14 

• Irregulators Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Durty Dan

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:32 PM

Just as Krazy8 ordered. And no, we are in the same time zone. Some of us just goof off more at work. ;)

One Drone with stock barrel, no shroud.
Posted Image

and the drive train:
Posted Image
drive train taken apart- Yes it is that simple. One moving part, the bolt.
Posted Image
The top of the board and wiring harnesses:
Posted Image
The eye and detent:
Posted Image
And the wire routing. It looks hard to pinch these guys, unlike some other electros I know.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Boomer14: 21 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

#27 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

I much prefer it with the shroud on. :(

#28 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:20 PM

Other things aside, it does look slightly off without the shroud. I think it is the barrel though, with that little hump on it for the shroud.
Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#29 User is offline   flyweightnate 

• Closed bolt. Rock n cock, or rock n roll.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:flyweightnate

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:47 PM

Crap. I saw the screws for the eye covers, and was sitting there really, really wishing they held those rails on. Can't say I'm a fan. And can't say I can find a comparable gun in the pricerange, with or without rails. That's like being told the PMR is comparable. Ewwwww...

I suppose I could chuck it in a lathe and spin the rails off it... Mwahahaha! Oh wait, tray. Facemilling operation it is! Or wait for the Clone to bring prices down on the Droid.
Feedback.
"Listen to nate hes always right, no joke"- Mighty Mike

#30 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:53 PM

View Postflyweightnate, on Sep 21 2009, 11:47 PM, said:

Crap. I saw the screws for the eye covers, and was sitting there really, really wishing they held those rails on. Can't say I'm a fan. And can't say I can find a comparable gun in the pricerange, with or without rails. That's like being told the PMR is comparable. Ewwwww...

I suppose I could chuck it in a lathe and spin the rails off it... Mwahahaha! Oh wait, tray. Facemilling operation it is! Or wait for the Clone to bring prices down on the Droid.

Or...you know....look for a used MD?

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users