Special Ops Paintball: Choosing a barrel.. cant decide - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Choosing a barrel.. cant decide Flatline, Straightline, J&J Ceramic?

#1 User is offline   Knight526806 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:39 PM

I have an Tippmann X7 and im looking into getting a new barrel to replace my stock one. I have been looking at various review sights and believe i want either a flatline, straightline, or a j&j ceramic. From what I have heard, the flatline obviously shoots farther than other barrels aside from the apex, but at the same time comrpomises accuracy. The straightline really interests me. Although i think the "rifleing" is a little more exaggerated then it really is, it still seems like a good barrel, especially with the kit. At the same time, im scared its very hard to clean and it could possibly be paint picky. The J&J ceramic barrel seems like the safest choice. from what Ive heard, its crazy cheap, cleans easy, and has decent performance.

I would like to know what you all think about these barrels and you can incluce other barrels which you highly recommend. I realize that any barrel with a kit is going to improve accuracy. Also, would the J&J ceramic even be a good upgrade from the stock barrel? The price just leads me to think thats its just " so so".

Thanks for your responses

#2 User is offline   Minnesota Sn1p3r 

• Back on the Attack!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MN Sn1p3r

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:17 PM

The flatline is nice but you get some wicked curve shots in there, rule the straightling out because rifeling doesn't do anything to a paintball, The j&j is nice and I have heard a lot of great things about it...

Go with the J&J Ceramic ;)

*EDIT* The Smart Parts linear and progressive barrels are pretty good for the price too...

This post has been edited by Minnesota Sn1p3r: 25 November 2009 - 03:19 PM

"Its better to out-think your enemy than to out-fight them" - Sun Tzu

"I dont like paying for the same realestate twice" - General George S. Patton

#3 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:08 PM

J&J is over exaggerrated. Inconsistant bore sizing now. Flatline is a give and take. True it's not accurate like others.

For a few dollars extra over the J&J the CP classic 1 piece would give you the best preformance improvement. CP has more quality in it's barrel making than the other barrels you are looking at.

I would recommend the .689 as an all around barrel bore size for the CP.

#4 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:10 PM

CP is a good suggestion
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:40 PM

Flatlines do make the ball fly flatter, but they don't really increase your effective range. That's to say that at any given distance the paintball is going the same velocity as if it was shot out of any normal barrel. In exchange for the backspin they can be very harsh on paint, difficult to clean, and are bulky Straightlines are mostly marketing. The rifling is a gimmick - it doesn't likely spin the paintball, and even if it did it's not gonna do much to how the paintball flies. The back sections are also extremely short, it hardly counts as sizing if the rest of the barrel is over-bored. You end up paying a lot for the name.

Of your choices I would go with J&J. Most any aftermarket barrel will be an improvement over your stock barrel. Those barrels are hardly even polished. J&Js are pretty good for the price. However, they are heavily mass produced and their consistency has kind of dipped. I too would recommend looking at CP One piece barrels which I feel offer better quality in the same price range. Lapco barrels are worthwhile improvement if you don't mind spending a bit more. They're bores are really just flawless and they have a long standing reputation for their perfection. Palmer's brass barrels are another option, each is custom made and very high quality, but can get rather expensive with options.

A barrel kit won't necessarily improve your accuracy. In reality most barrel kits offer too short of a back section anyways and you end up loosing a bit of efficiency. They just allow you a bit more flexibility over varying sizes of paint - which is good if you are subjected to varying sizes of "field only" paint or travel a lot and play paintball. For most people, it is simple enough to just buy a semi-large bore barrel (.689), and purchase paint that also has a large bore. In the event that you do have to use smaller paint, it will still work. In reality, most aftermarket barrels as long as they are decent made all shoot relatively similar. A cheap barrels can shoot just about as well as one that is several hundred dollars.

This post has been edited by Piller: 25 November 2009 - 04:40 PM

Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#6 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:57 PM

I love my J&J Ceramic. But I got it used from ebay. It shoots like a dream. Best barrel I've ever had. 'Course it's only my second aftermarket barrel. :D
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#7 User is offline   MooSE34 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:MOOSE34

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:05 PM

I have a 12'' JJ ceramic on my a-5, and it does a pretty good job. Pretty quiet with the ports. But the Bore size is wack, can never find a paintball quite big enough to get that good "snug". But even then, it's a decent barrel.

This post has been edited by MooSE34: 26 November 2009 - 01:05 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users