a5 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ricky mroz 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:ricky

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:01 AM

ok so ive decided on the a5 for now
but i was wondering what other arkers there were that were relatively cheap and similar to the a5 in customizability

#2 User is offline   IIIce 

• Stay.Frosty.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:IIIce

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:14 AM

You could always go with a 98 custom, which actually might be better in the long run. One reason is, it's cheaper starting out. And as my compadre Sniper mentioned, it can't use a "regular hopper". You can eventually upgrade to a DYE rotor which might be better because you can buy it in camo, and it has a good speed flow of balls, plus if you aim high the floor raises so as not to mess with ball feed, a very handy feature.

#3 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:14 AM

The A5 is your best bet. Its the best quality for your money. In the Tippmann range, the X7 is considered an upgrade, especially the Phenom. The 98 is similar, but lacks the cyclone feed out of the box. You can put one on, but the A5 is a better bet if youre going to do that anyway. In my opinion, The extra you spend on the A5 is worth it just for the cyclone feed. Not having to worry about chopped balls in the field is a great thing. However, if you plan on spending a lot of time playing speedball, you might want to look outside of Tippmann. As for customization, both the A5 and the X7 offer an extremely wide range of mods and attachments. The X7 has a more mil-sim look out of the box, as well as built in rails. Starting out, i would highly recommend staying with the A5. Get a nice barrel for your first upgrade. If youre looking to improve internals, the Techt Vortex mod should be your first stop. anything else is superfluous.
2 Samuel 22

#4 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

ion ftw

i know of a few used, up'd ions cheaper then a stock A5

in fact i could help u get two ions for less then one stock new A5

only down side is they really should only be used with HPA or LPA
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

#5 User is offline   TheEnd 

• I am the who when you call "Who's there?"
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TheFear07

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:13 PM

Although you seem fairly set on buying a tippmann, I would recommend taking a look at an Airgun Designs Classic Valved Automag. They are more reliable, consistent, lighter, and have easier maintenance. One like this http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2a0a1c1718 can be had for very cheap. They can be found on ebay and automag.org for less than a hundred dollars all of the time. Just some food for thought.

Also, if you decide to get a tippmann you should really consider a 98. All tippmanns with the exception of the phenom are basically the same on the inside, and cyclones are a pain in the ass. A 98 will perform the same as an A5, but it will be lighter and be able to take a regular hopper.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.- Emo Philips
I don't drink these days. I'm allergic to alcohol and narcotics. I break out in handcuffs. Robert Downey Junior
Now and then I announce "I know you're listening to empty rooms". If I'm wrong then no one knows, and if I'm right, Maybe I just freaked the hell out of some secret organization.

#6 User is offline   IIIce 

• Stay.Frosty.
  • PipPip

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:18 PM

View PostBenaiah, on 07 September 2010 - 02:14 PM, said:

The A5 is your best bet. Its the best quality for your money. In the Tippmann range, the X7 is considered an upgrade, especially the Phenom. The 98 is similar, but lacks the cyclone feed out of the box. You can put one on, but the A5 is a better bet if youre going to do that anyway. In my opinion, The extra you spend on the A5 is worth it just for the cyclone feed. Not having to worry about chopped balls in the field is a great thing. However, if you plan on spending a lot of time playing speedball, you might want to look outside of Tippmann. As for customization, both the A5 and the X7 offer an extremely wide range of mods and attachments. The X7 has a more mil-sim look out of the box, as well as built in rails. Starting out, i would highly recommend staying with the A5. Get a nice barrel for your first upgrade. If youre looking to improve internals, the Techt Vortex mod should be your first stop. anything else is superfluous.

Meh, it is still better, and cheaper to get a 98c with a DYE rotor, then buying an A-5 and tricking it, for the reasons I mentioned above...

#7 User is offline   IIIce 

• Stay.Frosty.
  • PipPip

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:20 PM

Ditto to what TheEnd said, but I kinda already said that in above post -____-. Not to mention I think Benaiah is completely off base. The cyclone feed is bulky as shiz, and you can get a better effect from the DYE hopper.

#8 User is offline   ricky mroz 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:23 AM

does the cycolne feed work good or does it chop?

#9 User is offline   TheEnd 

• PipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:27 AM

It works great when it's working. However the damn thing breaks all the time, especially the ratchet.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.- Emo Philips
I don't drink these days. I'm allergic to alcohol and narcotics. I break out in handcuffs. Robert Downey Junior
Now and then I announce "I know you're listening to empty rooms". If I'm wrong then no one knows, and if I'm right, Maybe I just freaked the hell out of some secret organization.

#10 User is offline   ricky mroz 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:42 AM

[does it break from use or cuz your rough with it and how much is it to fix it?

#11 User is offline   TheEnd 

• PipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:00 AM

The ratchet is the main thing that breaks, and it is from normal use. Normally costs about 10-15 to fix. Ask around and you will find a lot of people who have had cyclones that have had the exact same problem.

#12 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

Maybe i havent experienced any problems with the cyclone because i grease it regularly and have the TechT Vortex mod (EDIT: costs about $30, and is metal so it wont break), which gets rid of all the problems with the Cyclone and lets it operate at a lower pressure. I also dont use any type of full auto or rapid fire, because thats just a waste of paint. As for bulkiness, the cyclone and hopper will have an overall lower profile, allowing easier maneuvering when youre crawling, as well as presenting a lower target. The extra inch and a half on the side is a good trade off for the reduction in height in my opinion. Also, the cyclone is mechanical and directly tied to the gun, while a separate, electric rotor will introduce a whole new set of tools, batteries, and possible problems. Personally, i try to shy away from anything electric, as they tend to age faster and are more susceptible to the elements. They DYE rotor will produce a taller profile, will have a weaker connection to the gun, and as a separate attachment, will have its own separate problems.

However, most of this is personal preference. I would pay a little more for peace of mind in the field, knowing that i can rely on my gear no matter what position i find myself in. But if you are looking to stay on the smallest budget, Nate and TheEnd are correct. A 98 with an agitating or force feeding hopper or even another gun will be much cheaper.

This post has been edited by Benaiah: 08 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

2 Samuel 22

#13 User is offline   ricky mroz 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:27 PM

so there are metal cyclone feeds? cool i think ill hook it up with that then thanks for all the advice guys i appreciate it and just so you all know i a5 right now thanks for all the tips and input!

#14 User is offline   IIIce 

• Stay.Frosty.
  • PipPip

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:29 AM

View PostBenaiah, on 08 September 2010 - 03:38 PM, said:

Maybe i havent experienced any problems with the cyclone because i grease it regularly and have the TechT Vortex mod (EDIT: costs about $30, and is metal so it wont break), which gets rid of all the problems with the Cyclone and lets it operate at a lower pressure. I also dont use any type of full auto or rapid fire, because thats just a waste of paint. As for bulkiness, the cyclone and hopper will have an overall lower profile, allowing easier maneuvering when youre crawling, as well as presenting a lower target. The extra inch and a half on the side is a good trade off for the reduction in height in my opinion. Also, the cyclone is mechanical and directly tied to the gun, while a separate, electric rotor will introduce a whole new set of tools, batteries, and possible problems. Personally, i try to shy away from anything electric, as they tend to age faster and are more susceptible to the elements. They DYE rotor will produce a taller profile, will have a weaker connection to the gun, and as a separate attachment, will have its own separate problems.

However, most of this is personal preference. I would pay a little more for peace of mind in the field, knowing that i can rely on my gear no matter what position i find myself in. But if you are looking to stay on the smallest budget, Nate and TheEnd are correct. A 98 with an agitating or force feeding hopper or even another gun will be much cheaper.

Hmmmm Interesting, I am curious what 5N1P3R and End would think of that.

#15 User is offline   IIIce 

• Stay.Frosty.
  • PipPip

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:17 PM

I have come to the definitive conclusion that the DYE rotor hoper on a 98c is a much better option than trying to put a cyclone kit on the 98c or getting an a5 with a cyclone. I will illustrate why in this youtube video demonstrating the DYE hoppers durability. This dude dips the rotor, no, fully submerses it in water and it still runs, and then he takes A BLOWTORCH to it and it does NOTHING to the hopper, ROFL. This is has blown the elements argument out of the water, plus I have read no problems of breakdows with rotors or mechanical problems, and they are one of the easiest hoppers to use.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users