Special Ops Paintball: What exactly ARE the safety requirements for a face shield (mask) - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What exactly ARE the safety requirements for a face shield (mask)

#1 User is offline   mrfranswa 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:27 PM

Hey guys,

someone posted on one of my other threads about mask safety and I got to thinking; what exactly are the safety requirements for masks? When I mean exactly, I mean, "it must sustain up to Xfps", and not, "it needs to meet osc standards".

#2 User is offline   ag09 

• Pro Rec Baller
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:AG09

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

Well, I don't have numbers for you, but I would think that the standards that mask companies meet probably have impact amounts. Probably some are impact from hard objects.

Did a bit of googling, and found this ANSI STANDARDS

Also ran across this over at ATSM. Paintball masks specs

If you search for paintball on their site, they have all kinds of stuff.
Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war! - Patton
Texas Legion - Central Texas

#3 User is offline   mrfranswa 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:25 PM

Hmm. I see that paintball masks fall under the same category as traditional safety glasses. Makes me want to make my own mask out of resin-kevlar. While it may be a lot more expensive, it would probably weigh 1/2 the weight, 1/2 the size, and actually be bullet proof, (resin was tested for something like 8600 lbs)

#4 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:27 AM

View Postmrfranswa, on Oct 17 2008, 11:25 PM, said:

Hmm. I see that paintball masks fall under the same category as traditional safety glasses. Makes me want to make my own mask out of resin-kevlar. While it may be a lot more expensive, it would probably weigh 1/2 the weight, 1/2 the size, and actually be bullet proof, (resin was tested for something like 8600 lbs)

and you would never be allowed onto a legit field. 98% of fields have rules against modding your mask at all, or letting you wear a modified mask. Insurance regulations. To build one on your own and tell them it's ok to use... No offense, but they will laugh in your face and hand you a rental mask.

Even if it can take 8600 lbs, they have no proof of that other than your word, and it isn't ATSM approved. So their insurance wouldn't cover them if they let you play and you got injured, which would then end that field's life in a giant lawsuit brought on by your parents.

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#5 User is offline   archanglmikel 

• He is like fire and ice and rage....
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:archanglmikel

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:36 PM

Just a little insulting to imply his parents would handle the lawsuit, seeing as the guy's 25. Don't address someone as a child if you don't even bother to look at his profile legato. It just plain rude. however as much as I am loath to admit it, legato does have a point. When it comes to the issue of liability on a field, very little is open to debate on masks. Cosmetic modification is one thing but even an open minded field owner is likely to veto a home made mask. If limiting its use to outlaw and backyard play is acceptable to you, then more power to ya! I'd love to see pic when your done.

southeast brigade patches coming soon! Archanglmikel's feedback
Avatar made by my wife...please ask before you take...or she'll be forced to use her Freeze Ray.

#6 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:51 PM

Sorry on my part, bad form. 80+% of our users are younger than 18. And they are generally the ones who want to do such home made actions. Sorry for not checking. I almost never look at peoples profiles unless i am warning them.
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#7 User is offline   Jonas 

• Woodsball? Sounds fun.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:H

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:23 AM

Just buy a mask that doesn't come in one of those walmart powerpacks, and you'll be fine. Don't forget to check your lense for cracks too! :thumbs-up:
Yeah I use an M-16 grip, wanna fight about it?

Best webcomic ever.

#8 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:58 PM

And your pants for cracks, too. ;)

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users