• You cannot reply to this topic

Proto Switch EL looks are deceiving

#1 User is offline   s1t1e1a1l1t1h1y1one 

• s1t1e1a11t1h1y1one
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:sirsnipesalot

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:50 PM

Got this mask at OK dday because my friend picked it up as well. i tried it on and it was by far the most comfortable mask i'd ever worn.it had those pads behind my ears to help keep the mask from squashing them (extremelyl greatful) and the padding was oooooooso soft! so i bought it. the day of the game, of course, it rained :angry: ! so obviously it fogged like a mother <_< . i figure ok it was the rain's fault, give it another try ;) . so i played with it for about 3 games when i got back home and again with the fog. every game :angry: . about 10 mins tops into it the mask was fogged beyond remote clarity past 10 ft. I sure hope that the FS is better than the one i got (EL) fog-wise, because at around 60 for the FS ....excellent waste of cash. ive been using this extreme rage for about a month because i only had 20 bucks to spend. it's not too bad. it hasnt fogged yet anyway. but now im upgradin all the way. no more cheap crap for me!! ive had darn near enough! its V force profiler all the way. and if this fogs......there'll be one less paintballer in the world i can tell you that. so im hopefull.

bottom line: if you want comfort, its great. if you want a low profile and no fog..stay away! (it widens up quite a bit when you put it on and look in a mirror.)
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him achieve world domination.

ive got a golden ticket. its not that cool.

#2 Guest_wolftalon_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:08 PM

I use the proto FS and its alright. I get fogged up in the rain, but other than that, no too bad. I have heard the profiler is better but having not used one yet, I wouldnt know. I would like the rubber seal rather than the foam that the profilers boast about, but again having not tried one, wouldnt know until I did.

#3 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:10 AM

The problem you had was you bought the EL, which only has a anti- fog lens. It isnt a Thermal Lens. The FS has a thermal lens. My fs has yet to fog on me. But anytime i use a "fog proof" or "anti fog treated" lens instead of a thermal, i fog up in under a minute. Buy a thermal lens and then see how it is. Thermal lens are a must in paintball masks.
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#4 User is offline   sartek 

• Trained Shop Monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SARTEK

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:53 AM

I put a coating of Rain-X on my cheapy JT Elite mask for the SPPL challenge in Salt Lake. haven't put an more on it since then, and i've washed my mask a quite a few times since then. I still dont have any fog problems with my mask. I have problem with the sweat pooling in my lens instead.

If I'm not mistaken, the cheapy Elite's dont even have the anti-fog lens in them. Best $15 mask I've ever had. :)
"I tinker, therefore I am" - Doc Nickel
DOT HazMat Geek, Airsmith, Tinkerer

#5 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 14 September 2005 - 02:20 AM

To help alleviate sweat on the lens wear a headband or rolled up bandana. I used to have condensation all over my lens, it was like looking through water. Now i either wear a headband, or i rolll up a bandana and wrap it around my forehead. It eats the sweat right up. I havent had any problem with condensation the last 4 months cause of that. Give it a try. Also make sure you dry out the foam on the goggles between games, that is another reason for the condensation. The foam is still wet, so it cant absorb any more sweat, so it just leaks through. Give the headband or bandana a try, i guarentee it will work. Just remember to wring it out or bring a few spares if you sweat alot, cause once its soaked, it is useless too. I have like one headband and a few bandanas for those extra hot days.
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#6 User is offline   Bellydown 

• If it's worth doing it's worth Overdoing
  • PipPip

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:31 AM

I have the EL. I've onlu used it once on a 80+ degree day. I didn't have any fogging, but I do get the HEAVY condensation problem. I'll try the headband thing, thanks.
Prostock Autococker
"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake." Napoleon Bonaparte
Riverside Renegades
http://www.battlefrontpaintball.com/

#7 User is offline   s1t1e1a1l1t1h1y1one 

• s1t1e1a11t1h1y1one
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:sirsnipesalot

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:34 AM

sounds like what im getting is a lot of condensation, confused with fog. ill try the headband too. (still gettin the v force tho..hehe.) :(
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him achieve world domination.

ive got a golden ticket. its not that cool.

#8 User is offline   Sparda 

• Time, is just another God of the Mind
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sparda14

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:00 PM

I say get a pro-vantage. V-fors not only makes the inside thermal, but the outside as well. ive played after rain, in florida, at 80-95 degrees, no fog.
Run, to where the smallest ray of light will never find you
Run, to where you will not need to shield your eyes
Run, away from all the soulless, heartless fiends who hound you
Run, away and let your memories go blind

#9 User is offline   SPARTAN 013 

• Contract Killer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPARTAN 013

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:20 AM

B) i love my switch EL mask.... its never let me down B)

Click these --------------> l MFDPB.com l ULed STDM5 l Feedback l MySpace l <-------------- Click these

#10 User is offline   nikro16 

• If We Cant Do It, It Doesnt Need To Be Done!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SWATKID

Posted 04 October 2005 - 09:50 PM

every mask tends to fog sometimes my profiler fogged up when i went to a game on a very humid day but it is amazing besides that very comfortable too.

#11 User is offline   sartek 

• Trained Shop Monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SARTEK

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:54 PM

Something that most people dont think about when their masks start fog is that you can buy replacement lenses for them at a much lower price than a whole new mask. Sooner or later you will have to buy a new lens anyway if the old one gets really scratched up.

I know that for my JT mask, i can get a 2 layer thermal lens to put in for less than $20. which raises the total spent on my mask to about $35. For me to buy a mask with the thermal lens already in it, i would be paying about $60, more than double the cost.

This post has been edited by sartek: 04 October 2005 - 10:56 PM

"I tinker, therefore I am" - Doc Nickel
DOT HazMat Geek, Airsmith, Tinkerer

#12 User is offline   zguy95135 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:59 AM

I get a lot of condensation in mine when its really hot out, but ther then that its great. I wouldnt mind getting a themal lense, expensive :ph34r:

#13 User is offline   Animal Mother 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:///Animal Mother///

Post icon  Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:16 AM

Does the FS come with a thermal lense, or is it an upgrade?

#14 User is offline   Vector Control 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name: Vector Control

Posted 05 October 2005 - 02:08 PM

The FS comes standard with the thermal lens.

However, you can easily just buy a replacement thermal lens for the EL, which is what I did. You can find various colored lenses as well. Which made me think of this question: Do tinted lenses actually help increase your visual clarity in certain weather conditions? I know most firearm enthusiasts will wear yellow tinted glasses to help reduce shadows when it is uncommonly bright outside. If you buy yellow tinted lenses for a paintball mask, will it have the same effect? And if so, to a lesser degree or about the same as if you were actually wearing glasses?

I know this is a review forum but I just thought of the question as I was responding.

#15 User is offline   Animal Mother 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:///Animal Mother///

Posted 05 October 2005 - 02:11 PM

Vector Control, on Oct 5 2005, 04:08 PM, said:

The FS comes standard with the thermal lens.

However, you can easily just buy a replacement thermal lens for the EL, which is what I did. You can find various colored lenses as well. Which made me think of this question: Do tinted lenses actually help increase your visual clarity in certain weather conditions? I know most firearm enthusiasts will wear yellow tinted glasses to help reduce shadows when it is uncommonly bright outside. If you buy yellow tinted lenses for a paintball mask, will it have the same effect? And if so, to a lesser degree or about the same as if you were actually wearing glasses?

I know this is a review forum but I just thought of the question as I was responding.

Cool, thanks buddy.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users