Special Ops Paintball: How-to: Make your own grenades - Special Ops Paintball

• (39 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How-to: Make your own grenades Uses washer and cotter pin for "trigger" -- PICS!

#136 User is offline   Ion Boy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:The Bog

Post icon  Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:45 PM

These grenades are awesome!! I made 6 and they are much better than tippmann's heres a pic of an 8oz and an 18oz i made

Attached File(s)

#137 User is offline   Zach_attack 

• Pimp slap
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:On the tail on the frog on the bump on the branch on the log in the hole in the bottom of the sea.

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:52 PM

Im gonna print this off and give it to my local fields owner so he doesn't need to sell nades for $8(canadian)

#138 User is offline   EpShot 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:51 PM

i want a video of one of the 18+ ounce ones going off.

#139 User is offline   Ion Boy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:The Bog

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:17 PM

yea im gonna take a video of it going off, just gotta w8 till the weekend :ghillie:

#140 User is offline   empiregeneral 

• PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:EmpireGeneral

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:23 PM

I found out today that you may want to be weary of how long it is between the time you make them and when you actually plan on using them. I made mine a few days ago (I only used water so that I could show my team their effectiveness without wasting paint), but when I tried to use one today it was pretty innaffective because when it hit the ground, the tube simply burst in halfe instead of popping the washer off and spraying everywhere. Anyways just a caution to everyone, I'm going to continue using this process, but I'll probably wait until a day or two before I plan to use them.

#141 User is offline   X-51 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:X-51

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:28 PM

I had that problem too. just don't fill em'up so much.

#142 User is offline   empiregeneral 

• PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:EmpireGeneral

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:48 PM

Yea, I figured that may be a part of the problem, that may also be why the f-bomb's tubing is so thick, I'm looking to getting some thicker tubing and trying to get the signature f-bomb shape so that the grenades fit better in my grenade pockets on my vest, but other than that, this design works perfectly.

#143 User is offline   Not_You 

• Lather, Rinse, Repeat as Desired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:98customizer

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:00 PM

i made something kind of like that. i used 3" PVC as a reservoir and then sized it down to about a half inch nozzle with a ball valve in the middle. overall price- 20$ works great. ill get the pics and list up eventually.

#144 Guest_Silent stocker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:24 PM

you can get the syringe at http://www.nextag.co...rod...ode=03034 for 1.21$

This post has been edited by Silent stocker: 10 December 2006 - 06:27 PM

#145 User is offline   Get To The CHOPPA!! 

• DIY Grenade Expert
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:GetToTheCHOPPA!!

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:33 PM

Silent, those look like the right size in terms of volume but the tip is less than idel for filling the grenades. See how short and stubby it is? I've tried that style and they unfortunately tend to leak during the fill process. You need a model with a longer taper on the tip. The problem arises when you put pressure in the tube. With a syringe that has a longer taper on the tip, say 1-1.5", the "bubble" of paint streaming in forms right at the tip of the syringe. The longer neck allows the latex tube's point of expansion to be relatively far away from the point that the latex is streched over the syringe neck (the point of friction between the tube and the syringe).

With the style you found, the grenade tube wants to expand right at the tip of the fill neck, which also happens to be the only point that the tube is staying sealed on the syringe. So, you can see how when you go to fill the tube, the pressure breaks the small seal between the tube and the stubby fill neck of the syringe......Did that make sense? LOL basically, the fill neck on that syringe is too short. You could probably rig something up tho like a zip tie that you slip around tie end of each tube as you fill it so that it wouldn't have the chance to expand. But that is awful cheap. It might be worth it to try for those who don't have access to any other fill devices.

#146 User is offline   plunk 

• ZOIDBERG
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:plunk

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:47 PM

i just want to thank u for the info
next time i go to home depot i'll pick up the supplies and work from there

#147 User is offline   tippmann14 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:11 PM

these work great nice job

#148 User is offline   Badmintoner 

• Peace!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:43 PM

Well, I finally bought all of the supplies except for the paint, so I decided to try them out. My first problem was the water (best to try with water first) squirted out the gap instead of into the tubing. So, I mananged to fix that with a tighter grip. Next problem was that the water stayed in the front of the tubing instead of going to the end, which I fixed with some careful squeezing.
I finally managed to get in maybe 6-7 ounces and had it clamped with these lame plastic grip/clamp things that come in a bag of like 15 with different sizes. I then went to get some washers, but for the life of me could not get them on the tubing, even when it wasn't folded. What in the world was wrong? You people must have given me false information. Or, maybe it was the fact that I apparently bought 7/16" and 1/2" washers, with those measurements being the outer diameter. Gah! So, not one to give up on something like this when I'm supposed to be studying or something, I made my own washers out of the black zipties I had purchased. I wrapped it around the folded over piece of tubing, zipped it somewhat loosely, put the cotter pin through and under the 'washer', and there it was. A hideous but apparently effective grenade.

So, first test: Tossed the grenade into the tub, but nothing happened. Amazing! I found out my 'washer' had been too tight. So, I got it off and let it spray. That's quite a bit of pressure...

Second test: Filled another one, this time with somewhat more water (in the same piece of tubing), and this time made a 'washer' beforehand and slid it on. After the cotter pin went in, it came back out, and was tossed in the tub. The grenade hit the tub and spun very violently or something, because I could barely see what it was doing, but heard a lot of noise and felt water come over the shower doors. Yay!

Third test: Complete failure. Not enough pressure or something, and I managed to spray it everywhere when trying to fix it.

Fourth test: Who knows. It's sitting there in my bathroom, waiting for me to throw it.

My hints for filling:
Brace it carefully. Have the tubing way up the syringe tip thingy. Use multisized plastic clamps from a bag of clamps (lmao, you'd be surprised how well they can work). PRACTICE WITH WATER BEFORE USING PAINT, sheesh.

So, in conclusion, absolutely amazing design. It's far from fool-proof, but that's to be expected when making grenades. Also, once you get down the filling procedure, you can fill them very fast.
Thanks for the wonderful instructions, and hopefully I'll have some more data/whatever put up when I make some more with paint.
Also, sorry if there are some terrible spelling errors. I don't feel like checking my spelling, as I have to go procrastinate some more.

#149 User is offline   TheeBushWacker 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:bushwacker26

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:44 PM

you can buy that tubing at homedepo for 1.00 a yard so you could make your own for less then to buy 5 of the big boys

This post has been edited by TheeBushWacker: 24 December 2006 - 11:28 PM

#150 User is offline   stealthghost 

• Greek Fire Commander
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:stealthghost

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:19 PM

View PostGet To The CHOPPA!!, on Oct 2 2006, 09:59 AM, said:

On putting more paint in the grenade. If you use a smaller tube and fill it with more liquid , you should theoretically get more pressure (but I don't know how far these things can stretch, and they're a little harder to get the washer on with less tubing length) One manufacturer's website I visited claimed the Latex tubing has a tensile strength of 3500 psi. Thats a dumper-load. I'm pretty sure with that kind of strength they can hod alot of pressure. Chances are you can fit ALOT more paint than 6 oz. I'll work on making a grenade with more paint and hopefully a similar shape to our original, 6 oz grenade. I just like the feel of the 6 oz grenade, it's prefect for throwing. Also, I wanna see pics of any grenades anyone has created, either of this design or your own!

-GTTC

OK so I saw your grenades and I was impressed but just thought I would tell you my system. First of though you people should use a Hand sprayer I'm sure it's a lot easier. I got mine at Lowes for about 6 bucks.Attached File  100_2940.jpg (903.5K)
Number of downloads: 60 Because I don't have any paint I'm just useing water but paint works fine in the Hand Sprayer. So I basically just fill the grenade by holding it on but if you want you can find something like this. Attached File  100_2946.jpg (581.66K)
Number of downloads: 50 Pump up the Hand sprayer and like you I feel 6 oz. is the best for throwing and spray. Attached File  100_2947.jpg (608.46K)
Number of downloads: 24So after you fill the gernade simply take a twist tie and well..... tie!Attached File  100_2948.jpg (697.73K)
Number of downloads: 39 Once you get the twist tie on tight enough just take of the grenade. Now here it is up to you find somekind of rubber band (I bought 200 black hair things to keep it constant) then take the extra nylon tubing wrap it around the grenade and put the rubber band on. Congragulations you're finnished!Attached File  100_2950.jpg (461.5K)
Number of downloads: 84

Basically the twist tie acts as the safty I've thrown my grenade up to my 2nd story window about 10-15ft high and it didn't go off. However once you're ready to throw just twist the tie off and it works the exact same as an f-bomb. You can change whatever you use to wrap the tubing around for whatever you like your grenade to be. I would try as much as possible to keep it constant. I always use 5 hair things for every grenade that way if it slips out of my hands it most likely won't go off but a short toss and the thing goes crazy. I've tested it a lot with water and I find the average blast radius to be 8ft. So 16 ft of coverage. Hope you like my system that I came up with about 1 year ago.

Edit: Leave a little tubbing before the knotm this give the grenade more room to expand if droped.

This post has been edited by stealthghost: 23 December 2006 - 05:32 PM

IPB Image

IPB Image

"Sports don't build character. They reveal it." - Heywood Hale Broun

Share this topic:

• (39 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic