Special Ops Paintball: Custom Marauder 2s in Crye Multicam: The Straight Dope - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Custom Marauder 2s in Crye Multicam: The Straight Dope Jealous? ;)

#1 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:C

Post icon  Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:59 PM

First off, thanks to Chad AKA 3 ECHO for assisting me in ordering some special Marauder 2 sets, as well as for completing them ahead of schedule.

My Multicam Marauders arrived yesterday afternoon, and I could barely contain my excitement. Despite the expense ($140 a set in quantity as part of a large custom order for my team) and the wait time required for hand-made custom gear, they met all of my expectations.

Posted Image

The custom Marauders differ slightly from the large-run standard Marauder 2s. Generally speaking, the custom M2s are more generously cut -- wider at the shoulder and body, longer at the sleeve and inseam, and bigger at the waist and neck. (The elastic gathers at the back of the pants actually provide a wider range of sizing on the custom version.) The arm pockets and Velcro have been deleted, but the pants pockets on the sides and back are all significantly larger.

Posted Image

Perhaps the coolest features on the new custom Multicam Marauders -- besides the sweet multi-environment camo pattern -- have to do with the materials used. The bulk of the material in both the top and pants is genuine Crye Multicam nylon-cotton twill, which has a soft hand, a near-perfect weight, and a genuine feeling of quality and durability compared to typical 65-35 poly-cottom BDU cloth. (I have personally always liked the fact that Special Ops chose to go with 100% cotton for the Marauders instead of poly-cotton, and while the Crye fabric probably won't wash up as soft as standard M2s, it will dry quickly and be more durable over time.) The elbows and knees of the custom Marauders are clad in wonderfully light 330-Denier urethane-coated Cordura nylon for abrasion-resistance. These patches are similar to those on the Fusion Ultralights, except lighter in weight and gusseted for better freedom of articulation and a more sculpted fit. The weight of the Cordura patches is practically the same as the twill (6-7 oz. per sq. yard), and they are not at all stiff, so they just feel like regular double-reinforced knees. (I actually slept in my new custom M2s the first night just to see how they felt, and they were extremely comfortable and easy to move in.)

Posted Image

The only other significant change in the custom pants from the large-run standard pants is in the leg bottoms. Mine were finished with a plain hem of just the right width, similar to the current Marine Corps MCCUUs, instead of tapes, buckles and webbing, or bungies as M2 pants have been finished variously in the past. I like this; it's a simple, elegant solution that works with boots or low shoes (like paintball cleats). The new pants are sufficiently generous in length that boot-wearers can blouse them easily with the standard elastics for tuck-in wear.

Posted Image

(There is, of course, a little more variability in these hand-made custom goods than in the large-run standard goods. That is to be expected, and nothing I noticed was particularly unsightly or problematic.)

In response to some special requests of mine, Chad made some simple extra modifications on my sets. First, he made sure to omit all black, except for the Special Ops logo tag on the hem of the shirt. Second, he included five belt loops rather than the three typical to standard M2s -- this was a big favor for me, as nothing bugs me mmore about the original pants than the skimpy belt loops! Problem solved!

Anyway, I love the new custom M2s, and my hat's off to Chad and his crew for providing me and my friends with such sweet specialized gear. I can't wait to play in them, and I'll have an update to this review following my first day in the field.

This post has been edited by Lil' C: 03 March 2007 - 02:01 AM

Sigs aren't actually allowed on the Special Ops Forum, so I don't have one.

#2 Guest_3 ECHO_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:54 PM

Chris, thanks for the kind remarks.

#3 User is offline   noobiekilla 

• Get In My Belly!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:screemindemon

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:05 PM

Sweet, now I am going to order a pair once I get the money. Nice review.

#4 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:C

Post icon  Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:52 PM

UPDATE:

After a particularly arduous day in the woods and on the hyperball field, I am pleased to report that the new and improved Utah-made custom Marauder 2s in genuine Multicam performed FLAWLESSLY in the mud and rain.

The camouflage effect of the real-deal Multicam was superb in the woods; other players made a point of mentioning to me how well my camo was working.

The generous cut of the uprated custom M2s was noticeable in uniformly good ways. The garments themselves were comfortable, and no worse for wear no matter how man hard slides or tree scrapes I put them through. The seams felt strong even when stressed, and the new abrasion-resistant Cordura joint panels did their job well. While I occasionally missed the arm pockets of the standard large-run M2s for being able to stash a small 7-ounce paint grenade, I found they sleeves were very comfortable to wear with the pockets deleted, and since the pants cargo pockets were bigger, extra storage space was gained there. (Three 7-ounce 'nades could be carried in each cargo pocket without issue.)

The genuine Crye twill fabric even washed up well with minimal shrinkage, and out of the dryer, the new M2s look new again.

Once again, Kudos to Chad and the SO Soft good people for such fine work. :( :ninja: :ninja:
Sigs aren't actually allowed on the Special Ops Forum, so I don't have one.

#5 User is offline   amdmonster 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:AMDMONSTER

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:05 AM

sweet, very nice. I got a set of the specops digi. I have really enjoyed wearing them but the color scheme isn't to good in my palyin area. I had one guy that kept finding me all the time, i finally asked him how he told me the tan (beige) color glowed it gave me away everytime. So i gave him my shirt and said go hide lets see what you mean, i saw it, and if he stepped into the light you might as well had a neon sign on you. Spec ops should make other patterns as well imo.

#6 User is offline   MultiCam 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 09 June 2007 - 03:50 AM

can you tell me where did you order your multicam marauder set?
thanks

#7 User is offline   Twistedpsyche 

• God wills it!!!!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Twistedpsyche

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:06 AM

View PostMultiCam, on Jun 9 2007, 03:50 AM, said:

can you tell me where did you order your multicam marauder set?
thanks

You need to PM Coroner to get a set made, though he is usually pretty busy so it may take him a little while to get back to you.

Or if you prefer Milspec BDU style you can order a set from AFMO for 105 and they are having free shipping through July 4. Personally I would rather go with the milspec pants and order a custom marauder shirt, since those jackets can get a little warm.

When ordering from AFMO keep in mind that they have a couple versions. It is all genuine multicam, but they have 2 different cuts, the Tru style which is more expensive, but is also the actual cut the military currently uses. Then they have the "old style" cut which is the more traditional BDU that we are all used to. The price difference is about $30. They used to also make them in either NYCO or Poly/cotton blends. I noticed today that they only have it in NYCO, which is good. Poly/cottons suck. I never liked them.

What do I have? I have the Tru spec version cuz when I ordered mine before they started making the "old style". If I did it again, I would still get a set of tru spec cuz I like them for certain occasions and a set of the Old school style for the price dif. If I could afford it that is. ;) Oh and I also plan on ordering a Marauder top from Coroner if he ever PM's me back. :)

Anyways... good luck.
psy·che (sie-kee) n.
The mind functioning as the center of thought, emotion, and behavior and consciously or unconsciously mediating the body's responses to the social and physical environment.
MY FEEDBACK

#8 User is offline   MultiCam 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:31 AM

thanks for reply but i just want is this
Posted Image

i just have a complete set of crye combat trousers and both field apparel,
i see this upper cool you think it is possible to oreder only the upper?

#9 User is offline   Brandon Dolan 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Bman73CA

Post icon  Posted 09 June 2007 - 10:13 AM

I like it. Nice.

#10 User is offline   Nashorn 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Nashorn

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:19 PM

That stuff is McSweet™. I met Coroner at D-Day and he is a really nice fellow. I PM'ed him to see what he could do for me on a custom hot weather version.

#11 User is offline   mrwaffles 

• Part time crazy person
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mrwaffles

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

So they don't get to hot? In the online store some one said that they fade when washed is that true?

#12 User is offline   Tavor.Man 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Tavor.Man

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:33 AM

View PostLil, on Mar 10 2007, 10:52 PM, said:

UPDATE:

After a particularly arduous day in the woods and on the hyperball field, I am pleased to report that the new and improved Utah-made custom Marauder 2s in genuine Multicam performed FLAWLESSLY in the mud and rain.

The camouflage effect of the real-deal Multicam was superb in the woods; other players made a point of mentioning to me how well my camo was working.

The generous cut of the uprated custom M2s was noticeable in uniformly good ways. The garments themselves were comfortable, and no worse for wear no matter how man hard slides or tree scrapes I put them through. The seams felt strong even when stressed, and the new abrasion-resistant Cordura joint panels did their job well. While I occasionally missed the arm pockets of the standard large-run M2s for being able to stash a small 7-ounce paint grenade, I found they sleeves were very comfortable to wear with the pockets deleted, and since the pants cargo pockets were bigger, extra storage space was gained there. (Three 7-ounce 'nades could be carried in each cargo pocket without issue.)

The genuine Crye twill fabric even washed up well with minimal shrinkage, and out of the dryer, the new M2s look new again.

Once again, Kudos to Chad and the SO Soft good people for such fine work. :( B) :ninja:

Just a couple questions for you:
1. Do they fade?
2. How much were they?
3. Is there an extra charge for those little special favors like the belt loops?

#13 User is offline   Marine Scout Sniper 

• Digitaly Sniping one shot at a time
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:scoutsniper777

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:58 PM

Nice. While I wouldn't care for the price they are unique and very cool. I got the Propper ACU style Multicam with a Tru-Spec Multicam Hat. I have enjoyed my first outing with my multicam and I also mixed the multicam with an Omnipat mask cover and I love it. While I have no idea how easy it was to spot me I did feel more confident with the Multicam color selections and I played well as a result.

Nice gear. Yeah I can see how only 3 belt loops could be a problem. As a kid I had trouble with a pair of pants in DCU with 4 belt loops, the belt kept riding up the back of my waist and rubbing my back. Very annoying.

Praise and Complaint Dept. (feedback) Digitally Dangerous [Cocker Owner #77] A5 RT Operator

#14 User is offline   Charlie Echo 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Charlie Echo

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:27 PM

Wow, the MultiCam Revolution has begun!

I want upgrades for my vest. replacement matching pockets in MC.

Nice looking custom gear. So is that Cotton or the special light weight stuff that Spec Ops uses for summer apparel? SpecOPs, you gotta put that on the menu!

This post has been edited by Charlie Echo: 08 May 2008 - 09:28 PM

#15 User is offline   jake9095 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:19 PM

nice i didnt know they could do custom stuff?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users