Special Ops Paintball: SP-1 vs. A5 - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

SP-1 vs. A5 Stealth wanted Rate Topic: -----

Poll: SP-1 vs. A5 (75 member(s) have cast votes)

Best marker to fill the role I described in the post below

1. SP-1 (51 votes [68.00%])

Percentage of vote: 68.00%

2. A5 (24 votes [32.00%])

Percentage of vote: 32.00%

Vote

#31 User is offline   Match99 

• Hmph. He tried to take me marker.
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:51 AM

View PostAlix Primus, on May 7 2009, 06:59 PM, said:

View PostSped-SR, on Jul 6 2008, 03:56 PM, said:

SP-1, easier to maintain.

That's a load of bull.

How so? Three allen wrenches unscrewed and a little bit of Sl33k and your marker is good to go (the joys of bolt-out-back). In comparison, the A-5 takes much longer to disassemble and clean. Plus the cyclone takes a while to disassemble and clean, which you will do often knowing how many balls it will break.

#32 User is offline   BYUrdneck 

• Modder
  • PipPip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:30 AM

I agree - I really don't like the clamshell style of a tippmann. Just take the back plate off and unscrew the bolt assemble and you are done. no little parts to lose. I love my SP1 - it works great with my Eggy III. The hopper is louder than the gun. I say SP1.

This post has been edited by BYUrdneck: 08 May 2009 - 07:31 AM

#33 User is offline   Spektre 

• Forum Stalker
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPEKTRE

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:24 AM

There are no "Little parts" to lose on an A5 either (aside from pins, which are not small or easily lost) and I've never broken a ball in my cyclone.
SPEKTRE, Recon Element
Grim Reapers Paintball

#34 User is offline   Woltereck 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:49 AM

I've had nothing but problems with my brothers SP-1, my A-5 has yet to break or not work on me in little over 3 years. A-5 for me.

#35 User is offline   Zzaque 

• Voce nao pode ser serio!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Zzaque

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:54 AM

stealth is going to be more important before you shoot. Almost any gun is going to make enough noise to give you away after you have let a few loose. I would go for your preference based on other features such as looks, weight, ergonomics, firing speed, what kink of mod-ability you want, and any reviews you can find from relatively intelligent peers. I personally prefer the A-5 but it is just my personal preference. I would play a game with a $50 Walmart special and still do alright if I had to.

Main point: Stealth is going to depend more on what you do before taking a shot so choose a gun you are comfortable with and that will give yoiu the range of motion you need to move silently and conceal yourself.
"So, I can't find any Vitamin B-12 pills . . . can't I just give him 2 Vitamin B-6's?"
-A Confused Nurse-

#36 User is offline   Robot Mice 

• Wheres The RoBo Cheese!?
  • PipPip

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:02 AM

I would vote sp-1 defiantly. But you should know
-Buy 9-volt batteries in bulk
-if the trigger is not working properly loosen the top to screws on the grip
-if you feel a small puff of air coming out the back grip i have been reinsured by smart parts that is normal
-if anything is not working right try replacing the battery
-if sometimes it does not shoot try decreasing the velocity
-unhook the battery when not in use

This was my first electric gun and every time something was wrong i had an anxiety attack, i just thought i would save you some stress :angry:

The sp-1 is a great gun and i would recommend it for anyone whatever their playing style is, with the full auto, semi, 3 shot burst and all.

also, read gamers post, it sounds a lot like the position that you just described, and is worth the read.

http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...2&hl=sniper

[/u]
[/color]Me 6th grade teacher said that people that are good at math are bad at spelling so bare with me

#37 User is offline   DaggerofBWUK 

• Theknightofbwuk-dagger styley
  • PipPip

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:35 PM

I'm in the situation where give a few months I will beable to give a report on both, seeing as I am getting an SP1, but until then all I know is that the SP1 is faster to strip than an A5, slower ROF, but who needs a large rate of fire when you're ambush/ghost/marksman/(paintball) 'sniper'. The SP1 has the vertical feed, that DOES block looking directly over the top of the barrel, I look down the side anyway so the Cyclone feed that DOES chop balls just gets in the way of looking down the side while left handed. Hoppers will be an issue when it comes to buying the SP1 as they're alot more expensive than the A5 'throw aways' as I call em they're that cheap, whereas the loaders that you an get go from £40/$50 10-12 bps loaders up to the Dye 50+ bps loaders at £110/$??? but I don't think the SP1 can shoot that fast, correct me if I'm wrong. The SP1 is 2/3 the weight of the A5 no loader or tank included, if anyone says something about an electric loader weighing the difference I will send you a fresh dose of swine flu infected holiday makers... because it just can't happen unless you have a cast Iron loader. Prices are about the same when you include the hoppers...
"May be the new kid on the block
but that don't really matter
'Cos I is from Gloucestershire
and I can drive a tra-ar"

#38 User is offline   ryanh1125 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:pudgey

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:38 PM

i personally shoot the SP-1 as a sniper. i have also used the BT-4 as a sniper too. ( incase you didnt know the bt4 and 98 both have the same parts, not sure bout the a5 though). ive found the sp1 is an excellent sniper, its quite, durable, high ROF, good on air and light. thye downside is that the hopper is dead center so you would need a 45 degree offset weaver rail, and there arent the same amount of upgrades for the sp1 as for the a5.
although the sp1 has the hopper in the center, the 45 degree attachment will only be $30 on ebay or something.
and ive never broken a ball in my sp1 but my friends a5 chops like crazy.

#39 User is offline   CrewChief 

• Old A5OG Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:CrewChief

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:20 AM

I'm a long time Tippmann user but that all changed after playing with an ION for a day. I had actually fired several ION's in the past and was not impressed but once I took the time to get used to the marker I was blown away. That ended my A5 obsession and I soon had 2 tricked out ION milsim rigs. I purchased one of the first SP-1's and it never worked very well. I had to send it in twice to get it fixed but keep in mind this was one of the first few hundred sold. Remembering back to my ION experience I decided to play a day with my SP-1 and now my ION markers are collecting dust. I used a gravity hopper for lower profile and can still rip 10-15 round strings on full auto with no issues. Full auto on the stock board is something like 8-10 bps I think. The SP-1 is louder with more pronounced recoil than the ION but is a perfect fit with a stock for my playing style. My only gripe is I want a more easily detachable CAR stock.

The simplicity of the board, milsim setup with ION like performance, the low force bolt, light-weight, low recoil, the select fire capability, and excellent regulator aare huge selling points compared to markers in the same class. With new board and bolt options itís only getting better. I have never had a break after 10,000 rounds. Anyone claiming that with an A5 is lucky or lying. Full disassembly sucks but unlike the A5 this is rarely necessary. I know people that only strip their A5 once a year or more but I like a clean marker and would do a complete strip and clean at least every 2-3 games. With my SP-1 I wipe it down at the end of the day Iím done. I think some markers like the ION have too many configurable settings and adjustments making it difficult to get everything tuned just right. This is one area where the stock SP-1 shines because the options are good but not to the point that it gets confusing.

There is no comparison between the SP-1 and A5 stockÖSP-1 wins hands down for those that have actually played with both. The A5 really is a poor choice for left handed players as well. If you want to be super quite use an automag, ION, or Invert Mini.
IPB Image
Illinois Air National Guard Recruiter Assistant - Contact me for more info!

#40 User is offline   alpha badger 

• "maybe it was one guy with six guns"
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:alpha badger

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:18 AM

^werd.

a vote for the sp1 here. to me its simply a matter of design and functionality.

i was a HUGE tippmann fan for about 4 years, and I own a 98c still as a loaner. i owned an x7 for about a year and to be honest, all tippmanns are really just a rehash of the same old design that was out dated years ago. 98c's were the shiz when they first came out, but inovation in the world of speedball has far surpassed the classic blowback design. yes "electros" were a bit on the quirky side when they first hit the main stream market, but that has all changed (assuming the operater has common sense in his maintence practices.) my mini has less problems, chops, break downs than any of the guns i have ever owned or any of the guns i see of the people i play with on a regular basis (almost all tippmanns.)

I loved tippmanns and always recomended them, then one day i shot a mini for a few games and that finished it. there is no comparison between a blowback and an electropneumatic.

If you want the proof, i dont really need to bore you with stats that people will just refute and call false on, just get a hold of an A5 and an sp1 and shoot then side by side.

This post has been edited by alpha badger: 03 July 2009 - 11:19 AM

Tippmann owner #123
Sabre #797
Christian Paintballer
"if you are addicted to paintball, put this in your sig"

#41 User is offline   Pitbull330 

• "The Worlds Greatest Game"
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Pitbull330

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:32 AM

Im not a sp-1 fan, yet they seem to be every where now. they are much faster that the A-5. but i stick to my tippmanns when it come to reliability. Plus i think they have fewer problems

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users