• You cannot reply to this topic

JCS Folding Stock w/RVA for the 98 Custom

#1 User is offline   ShadoAngel 

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:SHADOANGEL

Posted 04 January 2005 - 11:18 PM

This was a gift I recieved for Christmas. Opened it up, "yah! Folding stock!" Well, yes it was great. However, the "Locking Ring" [a ring on the RVA, designed to hold the stock tight against the back of the marker] was just that - locked. The thing would not budge. I tried. Father tried. Plyers were applied and various scratches were made. Compeltely stuck. Needless to say, I was not impressed. Not only would the stock be loose, but the locking ring was locked tight against the end of the RVA in such a way so that the RVA/Stock can't even be laid into the marker [there was no space between the locking ring, and the two rings designed to take the place of Tippmann's stock "end cap"]

I sent an email, politely requesting assistance with the stubborn locking ring. Perhaps there was some magical force needed to turn. Or maybe we were just turning it the wrong way! In anycase, a fellow by the name of Steve shot out an email a few days after Christmas [the 28th I believe] explaining that the Locking Ring is most definately supposed to turn, but that in about 1 in 500 stocks, it simply locks up. He then sent out a new RVA free of charge, telling me to keep the one I already had. [He also included email addresses and phone numbers in case I needed more help].

Our family was quite pleased with Blackpoint Engineering's customer service. Fyi: Blackpoint Engineering is Jet City Specialties's [JCS] parent company. Either that or they are the same company.

The stock is quite solid, made of aluminum. While slightly weighty, it's nothing that's really noticeable. Many stocks are made of plastic. Quite personally, I don't like plastic on my marker. My marker is a woodsball machine. I needs to go through rain, mud, sun, snow, hitting rocks, grass, and in my area, the occasionaly cacti. Some plastic is hardy and survives such things, but in all fairness, the metal just feels stronger.

You can adjust the stock's length with ease. A turning of a thumb-screw like nob loosens the butt end of the stock from the main assembly. Then, you slide the butt end into the desire position, and then re-screw the thumb screw. I can change it from it's shortest length to it's longest length in about 5 seconds. Also, it is NOT loose. Once tightened, it stays tight.

The folding part of the stock works as well, laying the majority of the stock along side the marker body. This really helps transportation, so you don't have to install and uninstall the stock everytime you play. Installation is a bit of pain, but that has more to do with field stripping the 98C rather than the stock's design. I only have two very minor gripes about the folding part of the stock.

1. The button pushed to flip the stock from folding to "ready" is located in an odd place, and inconvienet to use.
2. When folded, the stock isn't parallel to the marker body, but goes off at a slight angle. There's quite a bit of space between the body and the stock, but overall it doesn't matter that much.

Now then, there are many reports of this particular stock being "wobly". I can sort of see that. The part that connects the RVA to the main stock assembly is SLIGHTLY loose. And you can't tighten it. It's the section where the stock is allowed to pivot from the "ready" position to the "folded" position, so it has to be a little loose. However, it's tighter than the feeding elbow is to the marker. That wobbles more than my stock does. I've also had my ASA more wobbly than the stock. All in all, it's quite stable.

I have absolutely no regrets in recieving this stock [I kind of have to mention specific products as my parents aren't exactly paintball experts] and am quite happy with the way it's holding up, and the way it completely changes the way the marker is held - for the better. The way it stables the marker and gives it a natural feel is really really awesome. For the record, my stock is adjusted to be maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of the way back. meaning it's not on it's shortest length, but it's inbetween shortest and half-length.

The stock can be adjusted to be quite short for you really little people, or very long for even an insanely tall orangutang.

note: Yes, I know I didn't mention the RVA's performance. To be honest, I haven't tried it out yet. Considering it's simple design, I can't see how it could NOT work. But I'll update here after I test it.

I'll post pictures soon. It seems our digital camera is hiding itself as usual. :ph34r:

Shado's Score: 8/10
ShadoAngel | My BST Feedback Thread

#2 User is offline   invader zim 

• Grrrr I need you!
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:16 AM

:P since you got to keep the other stock can i have it j/k. seriously, have you tried using a wrench that has a long piece of rubber that you can get some good grip and not worry about scratching the hell out of it, also try applying some type of lubricant like wd-40 of the threads hopefully that'll get loose a little bit. that wrench thing that can be found at Sears and i think Wal-Mart carries them too, but i'm not to sure hope that helps. B)
I am Zimmmm!user posted image[/IMG]

user posted image

#3 User is offline   ShadoAngel 

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:SHADOANGEL

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:28 AM

Well, I was just planning on throwing it away. The new one arrived today, so the stock is now fully functional.

:P
ShadoAngel | My BST Feedback Thread

#4 User is offline   duck 

• punch
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:punch

Posted 12 January 2005 - 04:13 PM

thank you

#5 User is offline   Insane Rifleman 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip