This is for all the SP Gurus A little advice

#1 User is offline   ravenleader 

• Kicking butt... one game at a time
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Mad Co

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:50 AM

Hello,
I have been a scenario player since i started playing paintball four years ago, and i love it. however, i was at dday when a realized the potential for higher end guns on the field. i have an a5, and i really love it but i have become interested in the ion.

now i have been checking stores trying to find the best deals, and i have noticed that SP has improved the ion... the ion xe. i understand the advantages of a back out bolt system on the xe which makes cleaning really easy, but i want to know how easy it is to clean an original ion model. from the manual, it kind of looks complicated.

I appreciate you guys helping me. thanks for your feedback.

#2 User is offline   Chibbs 

• Team Voodoo
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Chibbs

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:55 AM

a complete rip down of the Ion isnt that hard but its annoying, unscrewing all the banjo fittings and such, takes me 20 min which could have taken me like 2 if i had a bolt out back body

although you could buy the ion for its current sale price which is very cheep since they are just dropping stock, and then spend some extra money on a good BOB body, it will prob come out a little more expensive then just buying the Ion XE to begin with but it will prob be a better looking and nicer body

also when you get it buy a qlock, the stock feedneck is terrible

Proudly Sponsored by and Affiliated with: Smart Parts l Player Paintball l Bonusball King l Hater Paintball l Voodoo Paintball l EMR Paintball Park l Dark Ops Paintball
l A+ Anodizing l HAH DIGITAL l Fogtech l "Paintball is the Voodoo, that we do, so well." l Information on Poison Ivy

#3 User is offline   ravenleader 

• PipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:01 PM

View PostChibbs, on Dec 13 2007, 11:55 AM, said:

a complete rip down of the Ion isnt that hard but its annoying, unscrewing all the banjo fittings and such, takes me 20 min which could have taken me like 2 if i had a bolt out back body

although you could buy the ion for its current sale price which is very cheep since they are just dropping stock, and then spend some extra money on a good BOB body, it will prob come out a little more expensive then just buying the Ion XE to begin with but it will prob be a better looking and nicer body

also when you get it buy a qlock, the stock feedneck is terrible

I appreciate it, thanks

#4 User is offline   Galihad 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Galihad

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:11 PM

people seem to think that tearing down an Ion is really difficult, when in truth it requires less effort than tearing down your A-5. given the option I would tear down my Ion ten times rather than take apart my A-5 twice. There are no springs to fly out, no two halves to put back together. its very easy in comparison.
Christian paintballers -beating the hell out of satan with tiny balls-
Sabre #117
My feedback!:click here

#5 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:57 PM

Here's a basic maintenance video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=33...15938&hl=en
It can also be found on http://www.fearpaintball.net/

#6 User is offline   Chibbs 

• Team Voodoo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:39 PM

View PostGalihad, on Dec 13 2007, 04:11 PM, said:

people seem to think that tearing down an Ion is really difficult, when in truth it requires less effort than tearing down your A-5. given the option I would tear down my Ion ten times rather than take apart my A-5 twice. There are no springs to fly out, no two halves to put back together. its very easy in comparison.

very good point, i havnt ripped apart a tippmann in a long while, and in the past year have only really dealt with my nerve with is a twist pull and the bolts out and my mag which is 1 thumb screw, compared to tippmanns the ion is a dream to disassemble

Proudly Sponsored by and Affiliated with: Smart Parts l Player Paintball l Bonusball King l Hater Paintball l Voodoo Paintball l EMR Paintball Park l Dark Ops Paintball
l A+ Anodizing l HAH DIGITAL l Fogtech l "Paintball is the Voodoo, that we do, so well." l Information on Poison Ivy

#7 User is offline   deltapaintball 

• Josh Foote
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:deltapaintball

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:43 PM

The newer players are intimidated to take their Ion's apart, but after you do it a couple of times, its cake. And after the tech class, I can do it with my eyes closed. heh
Coming soon.

#8 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:55 PM

View Postdeltapaintball, on Dec 13 2007, 04:43 PM, said:

The newer players are intimidated to take their Ion's apart, but after you do it a couple of times, its cake. And after the tech class, I can do it with my eyes closed. heh

Everyone should be required to watch the video I linked above. After watching that once, I think I could easily disassemble and clean an Ion. You are right, they aren't that complicated at all. Basically 1 moving part, some hoses and wires, body tube, shell, and trigger frame. Easy as Pie > Cake. :huh:

#9 User is offline   Kingman Tech 

• Kingman Tech
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:14 PM

LOL.
I've only owned one Ion and I thought it was extremely easy to disassemble. Watch the vid and you should be set to go.
It's not rocket science. :D

-KT
Pump user #121
Spyder user #97

Feedback +1/-0

#10 User is offline   EventHorizon 

• PrismUSA.org Squad Leader
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Samurai Sniper

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:26 PM

i can agree with everyone. the ion is easy to take apart. just you caution since it is a ELECRTO-pnuematic gun.

its alot easier to break a smary plastic barb for an air hose than any part inside of a fully pnuematic gun.

i have 2 ions and love them
ALL BLOOD RUNS RED

PrismUSA Forums Link - Come support rising innovations in MilSim technology!

#11 User is offline   ravenleader 

• PipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:13 PM

ok so i understand that the ion is really easy to disassemble once you know. now would it be better to go with a regular ion, the ion pro if i can find them, or the xe.

i believe that the ion upgrades work for the xe, however if i am not correct please let me know.

#12 User is offline   Chibbs 

• Team Voodoo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:06 AM

the ion XE from what i know an ION with different body (BOB) and a diff reg, (maxflo that will take co2 better) although i dont quite remember if they have the diff reg (sorry long night :) )

#13 User is offline   The Hobbit 

• Formerly Shadowlord
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:25 PM

go with the ion XE and go from there
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Mechanical Jester 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mechanical Jester

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:36 PM

If you plan on changing to a different body down the road..then you might as well get a regular ION and update to a BOB Body.

If you plan on keeping the stock body on there then get the XE.
Team Alter Ego
Proudly supported by:Designer Paintball, Tanks Paintball, Tadao Technologies, Understood, Acid Customs , and MobileTech Paintball

#15 User is offline   zapp 

• The Dr. is in.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:zapp

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:21 PM

I would go w/ an old Ion ($165 @ Firstcall/ActionVillage) and then get This Powerlyte BOB body + feedneck for $72

A little more expensive, but you get a better body and feedneck.

No, the XE does not have the new CO2 friendly regulator- it is the same one the old Ion has, which works just fine w/ CO2- I've been using my Ion for over a year w/ CO2 on a remote.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users