Special Ops Paintball: Skirmish USA 2008 - Special Ops Paintball

Jump to content


  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Skirmish USA 2008 Just looked at the updated calender... Rate Topic: -----

#46 User is offline   druid 

  • Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,420
  • Joined: 24-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:610 PA
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:08 PM

OutRunner......type the following into the search feature: Invasion of Normandy .......and you will see about 20 threads that spell out exactly what we are talking about. Be forewarned...there's a lot to read.
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...
0

#47 User is offline   OutRunner1 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 10
  • Joined: 03-March 08

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:25 AM

Alright, a couple of things:

1) Someone please, please, PLEASE tell me that the Chrono Honors System is just a bad rumor!!! In the past I have experienced it (yeah, I used to play at Skirmish) and have actually chronoed myself but I chalked it up to lax refs. If the field has an honors system I will officially go nuts.

2) This is a quote from Tod Krieger from another post: "That is still alot of people. Besides what ref wants to be trained and work 1 weekend. They can only keep so many to work the rest of the year." This unfortunately is true. It's bad business for the field. But it's still a safety issue. I have been asked to referee by other Skirmish refs during scenario games. I am a former ref and gun tech from a prominent NY field (No, I will not say which one, I don't like the administration and they sure aren't paying me to advertise for them.) One of my former coworkers at my field actually used to ref at Skirmish if/when asked. To import referees from other nearby fields for these games is not such a bad idea. Whether or not they do, I don't know, it's been a while.

3) Is Karen still working there? I thought I read that Nyxx (spelling?) had taken up the job of ref manager. All you older players would know who Karen was. If she is still there, well, let's just say I don't like her.

4) I read in another post that girls win stuff for their boyfriends by stripping at the prize ceremony. I also looked up ION in Youtube and found mud wrestling. Wowee. If this is what Skirmish uses to lure people in to games, I'm disappointed. My girlfriend is also a former ref and plays. She comes with me to games. That means I get some at the end of the day instead of having to push through sweaty dudes just to see two girls getting each other dirty.

Sorry, that fourth one's a little low for me to say but the rest of my post is valid. If it's too low, I'll edit it out. But, to be fair, my girlfriend and I have dealt with Skirmish staff who were a little inhospitable and it has tainted our opinions of it for a very long time. It also didn't encourage us to get back into the sport after a couple years' hiatus (like, did you know they don't sell the Impulse anymore??? :D ) You would think that a paintball field would want to encourage more women to show up and put a best foot forward but no such luck with these guys in our experience.

Like I said, please dispel rumors and set me straight. I'd like to hear what everyone has to say now.
0

#48 User is offline   Silence 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 117
  • Joined: 15-May 05

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

1) They stopped that after the ION 07 disaster. Probably the number one priority most of us were pushing for.

At Stalingrad 08 (about 1800 people attending last I heard) you needed to chrono to get hopper tape and you had to rechrono every time you inserted. This was enforced to the point where we had big lines at the insertion. They made sure everyone chronoed no matter what.

2) I'm not entirely sure if they're importing refs or not. However, the woman staffing my chrono station was wearing an NPPL reffing jersey, not a standard Skirmish one, and I hadn't ever seen her before. There were a few other refs out there wearing the same. I think they may have brought in experienced refs from abroad or at least given the idea a dry run for Stalingrad. Again, I haven't heard anything official, so I could be wrong on this point.

You're right that they have ref number problems - their day to day operations don't call for 200 refs, so for big games they have to fill the gap somehow. I hope (and continue to push) for them to hire outside, experienced refs for their scenarios, and they have capped ION at 3000 to bring the ref-player ratio down to something remotely sane.

3) Karen still works there. Not sure as to her position (field manager I think?) Nyxx is the scenario manager and refs there as well. Rich Moreland is the ref manager/head ref.

4) Uh, not sure about this one. I've never paid attention to the side crap. From what I understand one of the vendors ran that sort of thing in 06 and they put a stop to it in 07... which lead to a dance contest instead, which I've heard all sorts of conflicting stuff about, but apparently wasn't much better. I wish they'd put a stop to this poo entirely because it's just a distraction from the game.

No one has stripped at the award ceremony. Thankfully.

Also, so long as something is factual, it's never low. If you've had bad experiences with the staff, then it happened and needs to be addressed. It looks like people are filtering back to the field after the events of last year, but the pressure to improve has to be maintained.

This post has been edited by Silence: 18 March 2008 - 11:51 AM

0

#49 User is offline   CertifiedPaintballer 

  • Forum Newbie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,612
  • Joined: 04-June 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northampton, PA
  • Brigade Name:certified paintballer

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:20 PM

Yeah...lol no one was stripping, however at the dance contest the girls did strip down to a bikini if that counts...
0

#50 User is offline   MOOSE93 

  • Fresh Prince of the W.G.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 193
  • Joined: 06-April 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Brigade Name:MOOSE93

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:57 PM

View Postmariol, on Mar 13 2008, 02:47 PM, said:

View Postbravo4579, on Mar 13 2008, 04:13 PM, said:

Ok Iam doubting the the whole marbles and pepper balls and reballs thing highly if some one can find a link any were besides a forum post i will believe you. But so far the only injury i heard of from I.O.N 2008 was a guy took a bad landing over a branch and the refs ceased fire and relocated everyone.




regretfully, the reball incident was true.

Yeah i can vouch for these guys because i know that i got hit by a reball( the welt was the size of a golf ball for about three days) on the top of my head right above my lense.
0

#51 User is offline   CertifiedPaintballer 

  • Forum Newbie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,612
  • Joined: 04-June 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northampton, PA
  • Brigade Name:certified paintballer

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:59 AM

View PostMOOSE93, on Mar 19 2008, 04:57 PM, said:

View Postmariol, on Mar 13 2008, 02:47 PM, said:

View Postbravo4579, on Mar 13 2008, 04:13 PM, said:

Ok Iam doubting the the whole marbles and pepper balls and reballs thing highly if some one can find a link any were besides a forum post i will believe you. But so far the only injury i heard of from I.O.N 2008 was a guy took a bad landing over a branch and the refs ceased fire and relocated everyone.




regretfully, the reball incident was true.

Yeah i can vouch for these guys because i know that i got hit by a reball( the welt was the size of a golf ball for about three days) on the top of my head right above my lense.

ouch
0

#52 User is offline   bravo4579 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 81
  • Joined: 06-March 08

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

View PostMOOSE93, on Mar 19 2008, 01:57 PM, said:

View Postmariol, on Mar 13 2008, 02:47 PM, said:

View Postbravo4579, on Mar 13 2008, 04:13 PM, said:

Ok Iam doubting the the whole marbles and pepper balls and reballs thing highly if some one can find a link any were besides a forum post i will believe you. But so far the only injury i heard of from I.O.N 2008 was a guy took a bad landing over a branch and the refs ceased fire and relocated everyone.




regretfully, the reball incident was true.

Yeah i can vouch for these guys because i know that i got hit by a reball( the welt was the size of a golf ball for about three days) on the top of my head right above my lense.


You tell a ref.
0

#53 User is offline   Editor 

  • Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 270
  • Joined: 16-March 07
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Brigade Name:Editor

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

View Postbravo4579, on Mar 21 2008, 08:00 PM, said:

View PostMOOSE93, on Mar 19 2008, 01:57 PM, said:

View Postmariol, on Mar 13 2008, 02:47 PM, said:

View Postbravo4579, on Mar 13 2008, 04:13 PM, said:

Ok Iam doubting the the whole marbles and pepper balls and reballs thing highly if some one can find a link any were besides a forum post i will believe you. But so far the only injury i heard of from I.O.N 2008 was a guy took a bad landing over a branch and the refs ceased fire and relocated everyone.




regretfully, the reball incident was true.

Yeah i can vouch for these guys because i know that i got hit by a reball( the welt was the size of a golf ball for about three days) on the top of my head right above my lense.


You tell a ref.


It wasn't during ION, but the famous wet t-shirt contests that used to deteriorate into full strip contests (at least topless and thongs, I don't remember if the girls ever got completely naked) used to take place during the World Record Game held every other year. Prizes were awarded pretty much based on how much the girls were willing to take off (to the sound of "skin to win" chants). THIS HAS ENDED, however. The last really un-family-friendly thing that happened was the mud contest, which was not sponsored or encouraged by Skirmish (it was sanctioned however... it wasn't stopped.)

Last year's "dance" contest was mild compared to what had gone on in the past, and I attribute that to Craig Miller's presence on the stage who, along with Paul Fogal, gently reminded all the women to 'keep it clean' and stopped it before they got topless.

I do not know about the marbles and reballs although I've heard it from several reputable sources, people I trust personally--but I didn't see it with my own two eyes, so I can't say for certain. One event I witnessed was a smoke bomb being thrown INTO a small tank--a very dangerous situation, as the driver and passengers could not see. Additionally, their tank door jammed--which they probably could have fixed quickly if they weren't choking and could see! So they were essentially trapped inside. My husband helped pull them out. They were very fortunate that no one was hurt.

Let me say, I have faith in Nyxx's ability and she has been taking some very positive steps toward improving the field. Paul seems to be giving her the resources she needs to make ION safer, and the 3,000-player cap (if it's true) should help a LOT.

We won't be going this year, but that's just because I'll be seven months pregnant. LOL Won't be doing much paintball by that time of the season (Yes, I may play inside the tank at a few smaller games in the spring. :) I'm that crazy! LOL)

Dawn

This post has been edited by Editor: 21 March 2008 - 07:47 PM

0

#54 User is offline   MOOSE93 

  • Fresh Prince of the W.G.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 193
  • Joined: 06-April 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Brigade Name:MOOSE93

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:06 AM

View Postbravo4579, on Mar 21 2008, 05:00 PM, said:

View PostMOOSE93, on Mar 19 2008, 01:57 PM, said:

View Postmariol, on Mar 13 2008, 02:47 PM, said:

View Postbravo4579, on Mar 13 2008, 04:13 PM, said:

Ok Iam doubting the the whole marbles and pepper balls and reballs thing highly if some one can find a link any were besides a forum post i will believe you. But so far the only injury i heard of from I.O.N 2008 was a guy took a bad landing over a branch and the refs ceased fire and relocated everyone.




regretfully, the reball incident was true.

Yeah i can vouch for these guys because i know that i got hit by a reball( the welt was the size of a golf ball for about three days) on the top of my head right above my lense.


You tell a ref.

Sadly no i was just like Dirty Acronym and kept on playing

View PostEditor, on Mar 21 2008, 07:45 PM, said:

View Postbravo4579, on Mar 21 2008, 08:00 PM, said:

View PostMOOSE93, on Mar 19 2008, 01:57 PM, said:

View Postmariol, on Mar 13 2008, 02:47 PM, said:

View Postbravo4579, on Mar 13 2008, 04:13 PM, said:

Ok Iam doubting the the whole marbles and pepper balls and reballs thing highly if some one can find a link any were besides a forum post i will believe you. But so far the only injury i heard of from I.O.N 2008 was a guy took a bad landing over a branch and the refs ceased fire and relocated everyone.




regretfully, the reball incident was true.

Yeah i can vouch for these guys because i know that i got hit by a reball( the welt was the size of a golf ball for about three days) on the top of my head right above my lense.


You tell a ref.


It wasn't during ION, but the famous wet t-shirt contests that used to deteriorate into full strip contests (at least topless and thongs, I don't remember if the girls ever got completely naked) used to take place during the World Record Game held every other year. Prizes were awarded pretty much based on how much the girls were willing to take off (to the sound of "skin to win" chants). THIS HAS ENDED, however. The last really un-family-friendly thing that happened was the mud contest, which was not sponsored or encouraged by Skirmish (it was sanctioned however... it wasn't stopped.)

Last year's "dance" contest was mild compared to what had gone on in the past, and I attribute that to Craig Miller's presence on the stage who, along with Paul Fogal, gently reminded all the women to 'keep it clean' and stopped it before they got topless.

I do not know about the marbles and reballs although I've heard it from several reputable sources, people I trust personally--but I didn't see it with my own two eyes, so I can't say for certain. One event I witnessed was a smoke bomb being thrown INTO a small tank--a very dangerous situation, as the driver and passengers could not see. Additionally, their tank door jammed--which they probably could have fixed quickly if they weren't choking and could see! So they were essentially trapped inside. My husband helped pull them out. They were very fortunate that no one was hurt.

Let me say, I have faith in Nyxx's ability and she has been taking some very positive steps toward improving the field. Paul seems to be giving her the resources she needs to make ION safer, and the 3,000-player cap (if it's true) should help a LOT.

We won't be going this year, but that's just because I'll be seven months pregnant. LOL Won't be doing much paintball by that time of the season (Yes, I may play inside the tank at a few smaller games in the spring. :laugh: I'm that crazy! LOL)

Dawn

yeah it was during ION it happened about two hours from the end of the game on the final day.
0

#55 User is offline   bravo4579 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 81
  • Joined: 06-March 08

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:29 PM

Quote

Quote

Quote

Yeah i can vouch for these guys because i know that i got hit by a reball( the welt was the size of a golf ball for about three days) on the top of my head right above my lense.
You tell a ref.

Sadly no i was just like Dirty Acronym and kept on playing



Well Tell a ref! You cant just blame the whole staff for putting on a horable unsafe game when no one is reporting stuff they no is against the rules. Why that is also very lazy and stupid to not report something like that what if some one lost a eye cause you couldn't stop playing for 5 secs to report to a ref the guy using reballs. it is also the players job to keep the game safe as well as the staffs.

This post has been edited by bravo4579: 23 March 2008 - 09:15 PM

0

#56 User is offline   SnowmanJon 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 01-March 08
  • Location:Charleston WV
  • Brigade Name:SnowmanJon

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

Quit quoting so much crap....reply without the quotes...it's not like there are a million different topics being discussed...
0

#57 User is offline   bravo4579 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 81
  • Joined: 06-March 08

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:16 PM

View PostSnowmanJon, on Mar 23 2008, 06:44 PM, said:

Quit quoting so much crap....reply without the quotes...it's not like there are a million different topics being discussed...



there fixed it
0

#58 User is offline   druid 

  • Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,420
  • Joined: 24-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:610 PA
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:46 PM

View Postbravo4579, on Mar 23 2008, 05:29 PM, said:

1. Well Tell a ref!
2. You cant just blame the whole staff for putting on a horable unsafe game when no one is reporting stuff they no is against the rules.
3. Why that is also very lazy and stupid to not report something like that what if some one lost a eye cause you couldn't stop playing for 5 secs to report to a ref the guy using reballs.
4. it is also the players job to keep the game safe as well as the staffs.


1. Well we did that...and they did nothing. Some said [they] were "taking a break" and others said "what do you want me to do about it?" ...as if they didn't have a freaking clue or care in the world. Others refused to move closer than the back-borders of the engagement areas as if they were afraid someone was going to mortor some fire-pots into the field.
2. Yes we can...especially when the MAJORITY of them are doing the exact same thing...NOTHING. There were only a few refs that were worth 10x's their weight in gold...but they couldn't be everywhere at once.
3. I can't speak for ^^ him but we did. See answer #1.
4. That's right...but you forget one thing: when refs/field refuse to act, those that do it (and the friends that knew/know about it) continue to act sociopathic or worse...join in.
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...
0

#59 User is offline   OutRunner1 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 10
  • Joined: 03-March 08

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:32 AM

I disagree with (at least) your last argument, Bravo. It is up to the players to speak up, yes, but they are not the authority figures on field. The refs are. My reffing strategy was to assume the players did not know what was going on at all. Therefore, I had to be mindful of what as many players I could see were doing. If I saw something going on that wasn't supposed to be, we (more than one ref) would investigate. If a player reported something going on that wasn't supposed to be, we would investigate. If what was seen or reported was actually happening, we would blow our whistles to stop the game immediately, radio in the problem to the field manager, and bring everyone back to the staging area. Back at the staging area the field manager would get involved (a man you wouldn't want to mess with) and a resolution would be worked out. If it was assault charge worthy (frozen paintballs, reballs, etc.) the police would be called. All that time, though, we were the ones who had to be mindful of the game, responsible for rules enforcement, and in charge of the proceedings. A player cannot run into a firefight to open a hopper, a player cannot pull another player out for cheating, a player cannot stop a game. Only a ref can. Yes, the players need to police themselves but can only make "citizens' arrest". It's up to the refs to enforce the rules and do the heavy lifting.
0

#60 User is offline   Nyxx 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 06-June 07
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Albrightsville,PA
  • Brigade Name:Nyxx

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:47 PM

View PostOutRunner1, on Mar 18 2008, 10:25 AM, said:

Alright, a couple of things:

1) Someone please, please, PLEASE tell me that the Chrono Honors System is just a bad rumor!!! In the past I have experienced it (yeah, I used to play at Skirmish) and have actually chronoed myself but I chalked it up to lax refs. If the field has an honors system I will officially go nuts.

2) This is a quote from Tod Krieger from another post: "That is still alot of people. Besides what ref wants to be trained and work 1 weekend. They can only keep so many to work the rest of the year." This unfortunately is true. It's bad business for the field. But it's still a safety issue. I have been asked to referee by other Skirmish refs during scenario games. I am a former ref and gun tech from a prominent NY field (No, I will not say which one, I don't like the administration and they sure aren't paying me to advertise for them.) One of my former coworkers at my field actually used to ref at Skirmish if/when asked. To import referees from other nearby fields for these games is not such a bad idea. Whether or not they do, I don't know, it's been a while.

3) Is Karen still working there? I thought I read that Nyxx (spelling?) had taken up the job of ref manager. All you older players would know who Karen was. If she is still there, well, let's just say I don't like her.

4) I read in another post that girls win stuff for their boyfriends by stripping at the prize ceremony. I also looked up ION in Youtube and found mud wrestling. Wowee. If this is what Skirmish uses to lure people in to games, I'm disappointed. My girlfriend is also a former ref and plays. She comes with me to games. That means I get some at the end of the day instead of having to push through sweaty dudes just to see two girls getting each other dirty.

Sorry, that fourth one's a little low for me to say but the rest of my post is valid. If it's too low, I'll edit it out. But, to be fair, my girlfriend and I have dealt with Skirmish staff who were a little inhospitable and it has tainted our opinions of it for a very long time. It also didn't encourage us to get back into the sport after a couple years' hiatus (like, did you know they don't sell the Impulse anymore??? :P ) You would think that a paintball field would want to encourage more women to show up and put a best foot forward but no such luck with these guys in our experience.

Like I said, please dispel rumors and set me straight. I'd like to hear what everyone has to say now.

No! Nyxx is not the ref manager, I am the scenario manager. Karen is still the GM of Skirmish. Rich M is the ref manager as of last year.
There is NO honor system for Chrono, it is mandatory in order to get your hopper tape in the big games. Skirmish has a rolling staff of over 200 people.
All of the dance contests and other things that promote promiscuity are gone.
As for arming referees with shields, here is the problem, they are a target, it gets reffs hurt bad. They are given whistles , and alot of them have radios.

The situation last year that everyone speaks about. I heard the radio call, and anyone that was there was getting lit up trying to stop a 1000 person firefight. It is not easy to do trust me on that. you tell me who could short of using a fog horn from a lighthouse that people mite actually hear.
0

Share this topic:


  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users