Special Ops Paintball: Tippmann 98c totally inconsistent now :( - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tippmann 98c totally inconsistent now :( Velocity ranging 220-285 fps without moving the velocity screw Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:15 AM

Hey guys...

So last weekend I brought a friend and was going to loan him my 98c - I had used it about a month before and had not since opened it to mess around with anything.

However, when he brought it to chrono, he hit over 300fps...every shot. Same thing after velocity screw was turned in all the way. (Using the Tech T ZKH ACT, btw - I had used it successfully before, however)

So, we go to the proshop there, and ask what we can do or what the problem might be. The people at the front apparently had no idea what they were talking about, because they said "Cut off 1 or 2 coils from the drive spring." I did so, and velocity started around 275. Field limit is 290, and many shots were still overshooting that, and 300. Off came 2 more coils, and the speed was down to 250ish...but still peaked over 290fps 5/30 shots, and over 300 one time.

I gave it to the field for repair, when their airsmith could look at it, and was charged $35.

I got a call the next day - "It's fixed!" said the message.

When I went for pickup, here is what the airsmith's notes said: "Cleaned and lubed internals. Chronoed 260-270. Should not have cut spring."

Naturally, this last comment just left me smoldering, and I asked to borrow a mask to check it. In 30 shots, my velocity ranged from 220-285. From what I could gather, the guy never opened the powertube, may not have checked the o-rings, and did not even clean my cyclone while he was at it.

While my gun seems to be within limits (narrowly!), it is DEFINITELY not consistent. I did not get my money back and they made sure to take my driver's license when I borrowed a crappy VForce mask to test fire. Insulting much? :)

Oh, and I'm using HPA. Any idea what could be wrong? :(

Any idea what could be wrong? :(

#2 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

Sounds like the main spring is fatigued. Did you store it cocked?

#3 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

try a new rear spring from tippmann
either give them a call and they will send you a new one or
http://www.tippmannparts.com/SearchResults...&Search.y=8
$4 for one at tippmann parts and you do first class mail with small items so the cost of shipping for that is around 2-3 bucks

also check your linkage arm(see if its bent in any way), power tube for cracks, and check power tube size (If the rear bolt will not easily slide into the power tube, then it is undersized & needs to be replaced)
Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#4 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

Well with the TechT Zero Kick Hammer, it comes with a stiffer spring and that's what was in - I never store it cocked though.

I'll have to check the internals but I do believe the hammer has always slid in fine, etc - but any idea what might have caused the huge velocity spike in the first place (every shot over 300)?

On another note, I had bought a Model 98 from a forum member, but the person he got it from glued in the power tube screws because he wrecked the threads in the valve. When cleaned, and then tested by both myself and the seller, it dry fired just fine. I was messing around as I went to put it away, and fired it without air. The screws subsequently fell out.

However, I was wondering if it is safe to play with despite this, as the clamshell will hold the powertube in tight (and I already need to buy a feedneck for it, it came without a barrel, the whole idea was a cheap loaner). Otherwise, I'll have to get a new valve body, or at worst, a whole new valve (as I've never taken a valve apart).

#5 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

Update:

The ZKH does not fit as smoothly into the powertube as the stock hammer, even with a new o-ring.
TechT says they will send me a new spring for the ZKH as soon as I send my address, but will it make a difference?

#6 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on Jul 1 2010, 04:47 PM, said:

Update:

The ZKH does not fit as smoothly into the powertube as the stock hammer, even with a new o-ring.
TechT says they will send me a new spring for the ZKH as soon as I send my address, but will it make a difference?

might help force it in there so it goes in somewhat smoother..

i had a friend with a 98 shoot over 400 (yea the ref even called the head ref of the radio cause it was that unbelievable) .. so its not weird if you are shooting 300+

and you can just go to tippmann parts and get a new complete valve for like $30
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#7 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

I was looking at that but I just don't want to put more money into it if I can help it :P (I don't think I can force it because it is hardened and I'm fairly sure the powertube is plastic :)) especially since I want to get my loaner Model 98 running and it needs a feed elbow and it has a stripped power tube (threads are stripped*) ... however it dryfires just fine without either powertube bolt holding it in :P safe? Clamshell holds it tight, and it stays in the grove when I open it.

This post has been edited by cdrinkh20: 02 July 2010 - 08:26 AM

#8 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:23 AM

the way the clam shell is designed i dont think i would worry about it a whole lot.. but just to be save i would call tippmann and tell them you have a stripped out power tube for a model 98 and they might send you one, if not they are like 30 bucks feed elbows are also sold at tippmann parts
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#9 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

About that ZKH I had ignored it previously but now comparing it to the stock hammer it was a LOT harder to cock back the hammer, I think I have a slightly smaller clamshell on the custom and that might be causing the hammer to move slower too.

I will certainly try tippmann though :P I mean if the veolocity is safe what could possibly happen? Solid aluminum clamshells are fine I'm sure! I was looking at Tippmann parts but as I've said def on a budget...sort of. I screwed it a while ago and I'm just tearing into my monthly budgets for during school (going into Honours so won't be working past the summer)...my original monthly budget was $150 which sucks with a girlfriend lol...I only bought the Phantom because I'm doing an extra job and yardwork for people!

This post has been edited by cdrinkh20: 02 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

#10 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

have you polished your internals? thats free (if you have the wire pads already)

gets the over spray from the factory and with proper lubrication your rear hammer should move a bit smoother..

This post has been edited by Thumper113: 02 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#11 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:09 PM

View PostThumper113, on Jul 2 2010, 01:45 PM, said:

have you polished your internals? thats free (if you have the wire pads already)

gets the over spray from the factory and with proper lubrication your rear hammer should move a bit smoother..

Yep :P

#12 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

Update:

1) Tech T failed to reply after they said "It sounds like you need a new hammer." in regards to my non-fitting ZKH (ACT). They had previously said they would send me a new spring already (which never happened).

2) My stock hammer and spring worked fine, however still with fairly inconsistent velocity (somewhat less, but still...) ... but the next time I took it out, my velocity was again over the field limit and over 300. I found that turning the velocity screw OUTWARDS (which would normally increase velocity) from the innermost part a small portion actually dropped my velocity to 280ish. Further, and it went too high again.

Could it be that my velocity screw has stripped the powertube? It seemed like it wasn't truly threading properly from the outside, but I haven't opened it yet. Perhaps I'll be taking my Phantom to a scenario....for my third or 4th time using it (ever!) lol.

#13 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:34 PM

i would leave the marker cocked for a day or two and then re chrono it and see if it comes down a bit
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#14 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

View PostThumper113, on 03 August 2010 - 09:34 PM, said:

i would leave the marker cocked for a day or two and then re chrono it and see if it comes down a bit

I could probably get another spring from my local field if I needed to after fatiguing this one but the point being this spring worked just fine before ... if you guys don't have any other ideas I guess I'll have to open er up and check out the screw in the powertube :( pain in the butt lol

#15 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:02 AM

Does your main spring have the pin in it at the rear?

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users