• You cannot reply to this topic

Playing dagger in walk on games Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Woodbender 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Woodbender

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:06 PM

When I first played in a walk-on I was a very new to paintball and did not expect to perform well. By the end of the day though, I had discovered a few bits of information that made it surprisingly easy to eliminate the typical walk on player.

Nearly all the players stayed near their starting positions on the smaller fields. This put an end to my plan to run forward, hide and wait in ambush (I had a red dot and wanted to snipe unsuspecting players). Because of this, I could run halfway up the field and take cover without getting hit.

Most players will duck and hide behind their bunkers for several seconds if a paintball comes close to hitting them. At first I would always wait for them to pop up so I could shoot again and this did work pretty well. Later I realized that since people spent so much time with their heads below a bunker it was often possible to move forward without being seen.

Players will shoot at a bobbing head all day. Sitting behind a bunker and peeking out at irregular intervals and firing a few snap shots will cause the op-force to park behind their bunkers and expend hundreds of rounds. They will not attempt a bunkering maneuver as long as they see return fire coming their way (even if it is only one hurried shot every five seconds or so).

No one watches the tapeline except for the players actually positioned on it. If the players guarding the tapeline are eliminated it is often possible to walk (do a crouching run just to be safe though) right up the side and eliminate the entire team before they observe that someone is shooting at them.

Red dot sights are great for close up firefights if used correctly. Keep both eyes open, one eye looking though the sight and the gun shouldered at all times. It takes about half a second to swing the sight picture towards a mask and touch off a shot. The result is usually a near miss that sends the mask ducking for cover. Keep the sight right where the head used to be for a moment. If it pops back up it will be covered with paint in a second. If it does not reappear, then dash to the flank and bunker the helpless player who will likely be hugging the bunker instead of watching the flanks.

The personal observations listed above make me agree with Argelmcgee that the dagger position is highly effective against the passive strategy employed by most walk-on players. I had not gone to the field with the intention of playing the dagger position. It just turned out that the above tactics worked very well and they are similar to the dagger tactics described by Specops. It is necessary, though, to remember that when you are playing without a regular team, you have to provide your own cover fire as it is not possible to rely on others to do so. It does not take much paint to suppress others. I am using a 98 custom with a 50round hopper and it is usually enough to get me through a game even if I am playing center field. I just use a red dot so I can aim faster and with better accuracy than most players. Once the op-force realizes that I am likely to hit them within half a dozen shots, they start tucking in so tight to their bunkers that they cannot see more than 2 inches forward.

To summarize one of my favorite strategies for walk-ons:

Dash forward as fast as possible whether it be up the flank or up the center and dive into cover as soon as the op-force starts shooting. Sit back a few feet from the cover (as opposed to hugging it) and locate the opponents blocking the advance. Keep peeking out from cover and exchanging snap shots until the opponent(s) ducks unless incoming fire is so intense that fighting or relocating is impossible (in which case, be content with making them waste their paint). As soon as the opponent is hiding dash forward and to the flank. Proceed from here on to eliminate the other team one by one with side shots.

This dagger-like strategy is unbelievably effective against the more timid players. I once advanced about thirty feet through the open straight towards three opponents and they never saw me coming (I did have some supporting fire that time though).

This post has been edited by Woodbender: 22 January 2008 - 10:14 PM

#17 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:24 PM

You want to know something --- although necro-posting is involved..... not a bad subject for the daggers to chat about.

#18 User is offline   dogstile 

• who knew that i would become the local legend?
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:dogstile

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:37 PM

remember, just because you playing dagger your not restricted to giving off a base of fire, change your class as needed
"tippman rocks, if you think the same, put this in your sig"
"if the first thing you would grab if your house was on fire is your paintball gear, put this in your sig"
"if you love paintball more then your relatives, put this in your sig"
"if you are addicted to paintball, put this in your sig"

#19 User is offline   Rednecker 

• Hard to hit a 5'6 100 pound target huh.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rednecker

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:29 AM

Change your position as needed. I was up against four other guys so I would sit motionless and wait for them then shoot one and haul butt. I would get into another spot and wait for them and they'd be super freaked out :P . I won the game this way. It is kinda slow sometimes but i sure as heck works. When you are the last guy only sometimes bunker people and only when they are alone. Pick off the back guy too. They don't realize what hit them until your gone and there minus one guy. Happy hunting.
If you've bunkered someone put this in your sig.

Pain is temporary
But glory lasts forever

#20 User is offline   dogstile 

• PipPip

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:10 PM

position, i meant to say that

if you have the time and the cover, look at your shoots as they fly, i shot a guy through a tiny tiny tiny gap in the bunker in 10 or so shots, because he was to scared to shoot back, and didn't notice the gap, so i had all day to aim
"if the first thing you would grab if your house was on fire is your paintball gear, put this in your sig"

#21 User is offline   SilentMarksman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SilentMarksman

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:16 PM

The whole concept of having positions is that there is an actual team. I find myself straying away from any sort of limitations being a dagger might present in a walk on game.

You can always push flanks and be a crazy mofo, but can you really count on walk on strangers to have your 6?
:)

#22 User is offline   dogstile 

• PipPip

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:35 AM

View PostSilentMarksman, on Mar 1 2008, 08:16 PM, said:

The whole concept of having positions is that there is an actual team. I find myself straying away from any sort of limitations being a dagger might present in a walk on game.

You can always push flanks and be a crazy mofo, but can you really count on walk on strangers to have your 6?

cause not, best place for a dagger to be on a walk on is near the tapeline, he can get around the team, then he dosn't even need anyone to watch his six

#23 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:07 PM

If you have at least one other player that you usually play with, you can really own a field. Phantom Flanker and myself did it at a game last summer. We'd generally run along one side of the field so that we didn't have to worry about one flank. Moved up the field covering each other and wiped out the OPFOR
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#24 User is offline   dogstile 

• PipPip

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:43 AM

the problem with that tactic is that it can take time, with my field, we have 15-20 minute match's, its normally over in a flash

#25 User is offline   poohbear13 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:POOHBEAR13

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:20 PM

find a buddy it doesnt even have to be somebody you know and say hey ill core you for a game if you will cover me the next and then do it and expect him to do it it will take some time but you cant expect others to cover you if your not willing to do the same for them.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users