Pump Discussion Thread V.3 Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1036 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:58 PM

The Phantom loves the cold weather.

A few things to consider is keeping all the gear warm between games.

Paint is usually the weakest link in the winter. Players load up then wander around with their pod pack on in between games while waiting. Bad...keep paint in a temp stable place like a cooler. Swap out paint you did not use that game with paint from your supply. Fresh paint all day long that does not get below 50ºf is going to work better...period.

The same is going to be true with co2 tanks. Running 12ies is great, you can keep them in your pocket and they will stay warmer a bit longer during the game after a switch. But if you go for more than a few minutes the 12ie is going to cool down to atmospheric temp and you will end up using more co2 to get the shots out and they just will not last long.
Bulk co2 like a little 3.5 ounce tank will hold warmth longer during the games, but you need to remember to toss it in the car between games if you want to keep consistant chrono and performance through out the day.
I use a 13ci HPA during the winter and honestly do not see a performance issue....even playing in single digit temps.

If you can not get the HPA...no worries. Just try to keep the co2 at a cocnsistant basic temp all day. I have gone so far as to carry the gun with the co2 tank in my pocket between games to help keep the tank moderately warm.

The closer your temp is to 50º the easier it is to keep gear warm, so you should actually be fine next weekend. You should not really have issues with cold weather gear perfomance untill you drop consistanly below 50º during the whole day.

We play all year long here and have simply learned to adapt. Shoot rain is harder to play in then the cold!
Go have a good time!

And yes....voltron I would be happy to help you get a Phantom. PM me to further discuss the details.

This post has been edited by Krazy8: 03 November 2010 - 03:59 PM

#1037 User is offline   diabolikl 

• rosie
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:diabolikl

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:56 PM

thanks for all the great info! i just talked to my brother-in-law and he's going to let me borrow my old 13ci tank for saturday. if for some reason i can't get it i'll follow your advice on how to protect the co2 in colder temps.

one other question - you mentioned how important paint storage is. would it be better to buy a bag of winter-grade if i can find it or is that only more important for the semiauto guys who might be more prone to chopping?

#1038 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:55 PM

the problem with cold paint isn't chopping, its more barrel breaks. Get winter paint if you can. Keeping your paint in a cooler or something (no ice, just an empty cooler which'll help keep out the cold) should be enough to make a difference though. Whatever you do, don't use high end paint, thats already brittle, and brittle paint + cold == soup coming out of your barrel.
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#1039 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:39 AM

d4rk is correct. The weakness is in the shell at cold temps.
Winter paints tend to have a fill that stays liquid longer at cold temps and a thicker shell.

In the winter I use an small cooler. I leave the cooler open in the house the night prior to the game. Then I load the paint into it. It tends to keep the paint at a warmer temp than outside and just makes life so much better.

I dislike winter fill paint due to the thicker shell and bounces, so end up using my standard grade rec paint all year long.

Paint will perform great as long as it is kept above 50║f...and that is pretty easy with a little planning.

When it gets really cold, we toss used hand wramers in the ice chest with the paint. The used ones that are not at full warm provide just enough heat to keep the inside of the ice chest a perfect temp.

If for some reason I forget the cooler, I simply start the car between game and run the heater a few minutes. Just keep the inside of the car above 50║ or so and your paitn is fine.

#1040 User is offline   voltron 

• Let us gingerly touch our tips
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:mysterguy

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:28 PM

View PostKrazy8, on 03 November 2010 - 03:58 PM, said:

And yes....voltron I would be happy to help you get a Phantom. PM me to further discuss the details.

thanks but i think im gonna wait a little while but when i do decide to get one i can pm you
Furthermore - if you are "deuce-ing" during a game, you have more things to worry about than camo kneepads. -ger

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and leave the world wondering how the hell you did it.

I wonder if I could turn one of those "Rascal" scooter thingies into an old-guy paintball tank? -Violator

#1041 User is offline   Tu_Padre 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:West Staines Massive

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

So what's goin' on in here? Haven't been on in a long time, good to see some old names. :)

I just started trying to play again so I figured i'd drop by. Going to school for mechanical engineering right now so I got inspired to build my own marker from scratch, almost done, sniper 2 format.

Was sort of wondering if there's any pump player that are new since I left in or around georgia, atlanta area.

Group:banned #16 Feedback: SpecOps +14/-0 MCB: +2/-0

#1042 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:43 PM

Phantom was good to me today...very good. 15 minutes, 17 shots fired, 4 kills.

Although I usually roll with a Mini, I always try to get at least a few games in with the pump every time I play. I was running a straight-up stock class set up, and 3 of the four kills were single shots to the back from close range, one was a goggle shot in a mid range shoot out... in the same 15 minute game. The pump gods were smiling upon me today...Stuntman is a happy camper. B)

Posted Image

This post has been edited by The Stuntman: 28 November 2010 - 10:45 PM

#1043 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:19 AM

Nice job Stunt. :D Kicking *** and taking names. XD

Sorry TP, i am no where near GA, so i can't help ya there. :(

Haven't played in months...honestly don't know when i will get out again. :(

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#1044 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:32 PM

View PostLegato, on 30 November 2010 - 01:19 AM, said:

Nice job Stunt. :D Kicking *** and taking names. XD

Sorry TP, i am no where near GA, so i can't help ya there. :(

Haven't played in months...honestly don't know when i will get out again. :(

I played, but all I had of my own (playing gear) was my mask and pants :\ I dunno when I will play again though...

#1045 User is offline   Legato 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:24 PM

I got surgery on the 23rd...wont be able to safely play til at least the end of february... :(
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#1046 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:57 PM

Earliest I will get out might be March...simply cause it's my birthday, it's starting to warm up...and I can get ahead of homework during spring break :P sort of...

Bleh -50 C :P I "LOL"ed when I saw comments on FB about people going oh I totally paintball in the snow the only time me and my friends don't go out is when its like 0" ....

I hope they meant Fahrenheit :P

What you getting surgery on, Leg?

This post has been edited by cdrinkh20: 01 December 2010 - 11:57 PM

#1047 User is offline   Legato 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:27 AM

I had a very bad bout of Diverticulitis in January, as in much of my colon was permeated and looked like swiss cheese cause so many polyps burst (could have been very bad if i didn't go to the hospital when i did). So i have healed enough now that they can remove 8-12 inches of it without me needing a coloscopy bag. Woot. I would not want one of those, nor would i want to leave my house if i had one of those hooked up to me...just too embarrasing, and i am a guy who has no issue embarrasing himself for the humor of others. But here...no way. So i will be out of work for 2 weeks, then just recovering and slowly starting to eat normal foods agian. First few weeks its just jello and broth and simple stuff like that. Nothing really solid. :(

The good news is i will lose 40-50 lbs again due to not being able to eat solid foods at first. Now if i can just keep it off. LOL

Are you still looking for those o rings for your Mag from AGD? I saw you post that they wanted $20 for shipping the other day, but i didn't have time to reply. If you want you can have em ship em to me, and i can put em in the postal mail for you. Only issue is you live in Edmonton, which is pretty much across the continent from me. But if you weren't planning on playing anytime soon i guess it wouldn't matter

#1048 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:41 PM

View PostLegato, on 02 December 2010 - 12:27 AM, said:

I had a very bad bout of Diverticulitis in January, as in much of my colon was permeated and looked like swiss cheese cause so many polyps burst (could have been very bad if i didn't go to the hospital when i did). So i have healed enough now that they can remove 8-12 inches of it without me needing a coloscopy bag. Woot. I would not want one of those, nor would i want to leave my house if i had one of those hooked up to me...just too embarrasing, and i am a guy who has no issue embarrasing himself for the humor of others. But here...no way. So i will be out of work for 2 weeks, then just recovering and slowly starting to eat normal foods agian. First few weeks its just jello and broth and simple stuff like that. Nothing really solid. :(

The good news is i will lose 40-50 lbs again due to not being able to eat solid foods at first. Now if i can just keep it off. LOL

Are you still looking for those o rings for your Mag from AGD? I saw you post that they wanted $20 for shipping the other day, but i didn't have time to reply. If you want you can have em ship em to me, and i can put em in the postal mail for you. Only issue is you live in Edmonton, which is pretty much across the continent from me. But if you weren't planning on playing anytime soon i guess it wouldn't matter

That's a possibility :) no, don't plan on playing for a while - but I think I would like to see just how out of control my mag gets without the quad o-rings lol :P the other fellow said he used them for that reason...but not sure if he meant it just goes non-stop rapid fire or if it was just too fast for him.

I'm waiting on some particularly high-rated Macroline to come in, but once I get to test it at 1200 psi, I'll be sure to PM you. Thanks! :)

#1049 User is offline   Chaos Fiend 

• :)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:|GEARHEAD|

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:27 PM

Nice pic Stuntman! Boy I can't wait to get out there again with my pump. It's been way too long. It's sad to say my pm8 gets more time, but I'll be out there all day next week locked into rock, cock, splat!

Oh and I found a treat for you guys. Not much, but you can tell it's me cuz the old school SOPC shirt! which we should def do another run of, I'd buy a couple myself again.

This post has been edited by Chaos Fiend: 10 December 2010 - 12:27 PM

"I dont like brass so I guess I am good to go." -Jiu jitsu fighter. "Communist." -Tu Padre
Pump Player #113 My Feedback +27/-0

#1050 User is offline   Legato 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:13 PM

Ah the good ol' SOPC shirts. XD Nice video

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Share this topic:

• (109 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users