Special Ops Paintball: Just looking for some simple advice. - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just looking for some simple advice. Moving on from my tippman. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   txhazard 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:57 PM

So here we go, ive been playing paintball for 5 years now mainly casually and im stepping my game involment in the game quite a bit. Now i know this is the newbies corner but i feel ill get the best advice here as opposed to other sections.

First and formost im a woodsballer, i love to get down and dirty in the woods. And as alot of woodsballers i started my affair with paintball using a tippman marker, ive used and own and a-5 (with Flatline) a 98c and a CarverOne. I love all three markers, they have never let me down. But i know there are other markers that are on par if not better than a tippy.

Im here now to collect advice and opinions on whats a good woodsballish gun to move on too, Im not looking for a flashy speedball gun, just somthing rugged that i can rely on.

I greatly appreciate any advice you can put forth, ty.
"Molon Labe"

#2 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:07 PM

Every time this questions is asked we always answer with a question .......... do you have hpa?

What kind of marker are you looking for: mil-sim, electro, mech, small and tight like a mini ?

#3 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:18 PM

also, ... is your field hpa capable, or do they only have co2 fills ?

#4 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:16 PM

What about price range? Would you buy strictly new or is used ok?

#5 User is offline   C-F0uR 

• You exist because we allow it; you will end because we demand it
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:C-F0uR

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:23 PM

Im in the exact same position bro. Selling my X7 (second tippy) and buying a planet eclipse etek3. I'm giving up mil-sim for the time being since I really care more about performance. As these guys^^^ have said, we might need a few more details about what your preferences are.
Markers Owned: 32 Degrees Icon X (Sold) | Tippmann A5 (Sold) | Tippmann X7 serial no. 036020 (Sold) | Tippmann TPX serial no. 009351 | Soon to have Planet Eclipse Etek3
PS3 ID: Sk8ergamer
Home field: Zwackerz Paintball, VA
My Feedback

#6 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ASLANPRIME

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:46 PM

A Mag if you have access to HPA. There isn't a more rugged gun and certain models can fire at high rates of speed (best f mechanicals).

But without HPA...probably just upgrade that A-5 to the max...those things still seem to mow me down on woodsball fields.
Proto Matrix PM5, Toxic trigger, Shocktech clamping feedneck, Virtue Board, CP On/Off, Dye Dm4 Sticky Grips, 12" Long Shot barrel
Automaggot #26 MY WEBPAGE MY FEEDBACK GUNS FOR SALE MY BRIGADE PAGE CHEAPEST PAINTBALLS ONLINE

#7 User is offline   c boogy 

• X7 Phenom #0000260
  • PipPip

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:06 PM

as everyone has said your availability of HPA is a big factor but if you are limited to co2 then i would say either mod the A5 with a super response or sell a couple of your guns and buy the new phenom as it can be used with co2

however if you do go for a phenom in order to use the electric modes you're going to need a remote line to prevent liquid co2 from entering the marker.

having both a super response 98 and a phenom i can tell you they are great guns, but if you have access to HPA then you may want to look into other possibilities

#8 User is offline   txhazard 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:03 PM

No getting an HPA is not a problem, dont have an hpa tank but getting one is not a problem.

Ive been eying the SP1, but cant seem to find any details on it, i hear its really quiet but i dont like the hopper feed down the line or site.
"Molon Labe"

#9 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:05 AM

Not to burst your bubble, but I would reconsider the SP1 if I were you. Don't get me wrong, it is a great marker for the price. The main thing is that Smart Parts closed for restructuring back in January and they were supposed to re-open in mid February. Last I heard, and this is second or third hand information, they are looking for investors so they can re-open.

Another decent marker to look at would be the SLG from Proto. I like to think of it as a hybrid marker. The bolt is pushed back and forth by air pressure, however it is held back in the cocked position by a sear.

If you are not opposed to buying used gear check out the B/S/T section. You might be able to find a really great marker for about the same price of a new SP1 or SLG. If you do not find anything here, I would head on over to pbnation and see what they have in their B/S/T section.

#10 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:10 AM

I concur - I used to recommend the SP1, but now I'm waiting to see how that all plays out before resuming them as a recommendation.
Member of Team Akkadian

#11 User is offline   addbot 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:20 AM

go for used, well maintained with mods mid level entry markers, check some BST sections ...
i like my phenom ... but now im using a vice, and loving it.
oh and i wasnt looking for speedball markers either before i got to shoot the vice.
but that all changed after shooting it and playing some games with it.

and, stay away from that SP1....

This post has been edited by addbot: 12 April 2010 - 08:30 AM

from airsoft to paintball...

#12 Guest_Lt.Vortex_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:10 PM

I see you are shooting mostly inline bolts and I recommend that you change it up and try a stacked tube. The Spyder Mr1 is a good choice; the Brass Eagle striker is another one. But my personal favorite is the Icons. Hope this helps.
PS. I'm a newb too.

Lt.Vortex

#13 User is offline   MURPH 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:59 PM

i'd get an sp1. Still lots of parts available......besides as long as you keep them stock they work great. Stay away from the blackheart boards. Orings and after market boards are still available for the sp1.

Also try the new Macdev Drone. Has a bit of a scenario look with the performance of a high end marker.
http://www.macdev.net/tacdrone.html
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Supergyro 

• Ain't He Great, Folks?
  • PipPip

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:49 PM

I would go with an SLG. Great gun, good feel, I own one. :)
Posted Image
"Of course you know, this means war."-Bugs Bunny
"My friend got killed by a throwing star but I live because of DEagle."-Thalion

"The visible spectrum is...RAINBOWS"-Pirate

#15 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

When it comes to a step-up mechanical from Tippmann's, Automags are the answer. Classic valved mag's will run on CO2, so you wouldn't have to upgrade that part yet if you didn't want. You can put that HPA money towards a nice entry level agitated hopper if you don't already have one. Plus, a starter mag can be pretty cheap - anywhere in the $120-140 range. I have a classic valved mag w/ centerfeed & intelliframe... I pieced it together for about $160. It's much quieter, the trigger pull is much lighter & the overall marker is much lighter than my A-5. Very reliable & easy to maintain. I keep mine as a backup to my A-5 at the moment only because most scenarios I play require me to throw a crap-ton of paint which my e-grip does.

However, don't eliminate electros from your search....
- The SP1 is a very good entry level electro, but as stated there could be future issues if there is no more support. They have been out a while & there are quite a few parts available so it may not be that big of a deal. In my personal experience I have seen a number of them in the field & all have run perfectly as far as I know.
- The Drone, as MURPH noted, is on the opposite end of the milsim electro spectrum from the SP1. Really nice from everything I've read & it is definitely on my radar for my next big purchase. One thing to note about it though, is they were having bolt stick issues in colder weather... I don't know if they've solved that yet. If you never play in sub 40* weather you may not need to worry about it, but it's something to consider.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users