• You cannot reply to this topic

The world of the sniper Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   gubment_man 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:GUBMENT SNIPER

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:05 PM

In my last topic, I noticed alot of different discussions and some was not about my orignal point.( but still appreciated) To make it easier to keep track of the discussion, this topic will consist of everyone opinion about snipers. From the styles of play to dealing with loadmouths who think you're some dork who cant be a real sniper. Since this is based on opinion, I what this to be clean and nice. thank you and let the dicussion begin! :P

First strike paintballs: "useful advantage or just another expensive piece of paintball gear"

This post has been edited by gubment_man: 11 September 2009 - 03:03 PM

"why does that bush have eyes?"

#2 User is offline   sycho gunner 

• Ambush Broadsword/ Phantom Blade
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:sycho gunner

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

I almost when off topic and typed up a big what isa sniper rant but I see you have asked a certain question

paintballs all comedont you what works best in your gun
now important thing to is the right ball to the bore you use. you want a snug fit to allow for best results which can add in accuracy and distance

it might be over priced for soem but if they work beautifully use them if not fine a paint that will work best for you

This post has been edited by sycho gunner: 12 September 2009 - 06:03 PM

#3 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:15 PM

Well, I said it in the other thread, but I'll say it again here: First Strike changes the game for snipers. They're expensive for several reasons -- since they're new, they're still paying for the research + development, the same way new game systems are more expensive the first couple years. Also it's a very precisely-assembled round -- far more than even the highest-quality case of your typical tourney-grade paintballs. Finally the performance jump definitely adds to the price of the ball, but the market of people willing to pay for those costs is really small. Some funny economics involved there, but it basically equates to the smaller pool of dedicated consumers paying out the wazoo.

Now despite all that, it works to your advantage if you're going to use these rounds. No, the First Strike isn't going to make you a god on the battlefield -- you're never going to be able to buy anything that'll make up for experience, patience, and all that good stuff. What the FS rounds will do is give you a shot you can count on -- so you can know, every time, where the paint is going to go when you pull the trigger and -- best of all -- that it'll break when it hits. If you're serious about playing the position, you should definitely consider upgrading. If you're more interested in ambushing and picking up huge numbers in one big attack -- these probably aren't for you.

This post has been edited by MurderDeathKill: 12 September 2009 - 09:16 PM

Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#4 User is offline   Yazel 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Yazel

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:06 PM

The new first strike paintballs are revolutionary. They've been used for years by law enforcement, but are only recently makeing their way into the rec. market. While I have no doubt that the balls can greatly increase a snipers performance, I do have a few concerns.

First, the balls only work with certain markers, to be more precise: the T-9 and Tac-8. We both know that neither of those two guns (in my experience) do not make good sniper rifles. As a matter of opinion, I would rather throw the paintballs at them than to use a T-9.

Finnaly, they are FAR too expensive for the casual player. I mean, $6.95 for 8? Thats a little much for most people. I dont think the average person can shell out $21.00 for 24 rounds.

Untill these kinks are worked out, I can only see the Frist Strike doomed to die.

-Yazel

#5 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:22 PM

Tiberius makes beautiful markers....:laugh:

#6 User is offline   Phobeus 

• You can't kill what you can't see...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Bushman

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:27 PM

Ohh and can you throw a first strike paintball 100 yards Yazel? I don't think you can, lol! As a proud owner of a first striked t9 I can attest to it's advantages and disadvantages.
Pros
distance
accuracy
paint fill being white (its fun to make fun of the kids you gog)

Cons
price
inability to use with ease in other markers

I don't shoot much if at all, I just have fun sneaking around and shooting as little as possible. So price is no concern for me because I won't be shooting them all in one scenario. Ohh and the T-9 and T-8 are good looking markers! :laugh: lol

#7 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:01 PM

You asked our opinion on Snipers. I feel like I always hear people talking about how sniping is imposible with paintballs, and since you mentioned it, I gather this is very common, although I haven't been paying too much attention so I don't know.

In any case the following is a thought I randomly had about snipers the other day (even though I almost never play that role) and my opinion of paintball "sniping" or should I say: sniping. I think it offers a pretty solid and logical argument that paintball sniping not only exists, but is more common than we usually think...

People Who Talk Smack About Snipers:
I've heard alot of "THere's no such thing as sniping in paintball" becuase "you can't even shoot far enough".
And the main "sniper" defense I've heard to this is something to the effect of "We don't mean like 'sniping' sniping, it's just general ambush tactics!"

I think both sides are wrong! It all depends on how you define "sniping". Bear with me here, we're going to wander away from paintball for a moment, then come back to it. What's the difference between a sniper and any other marksman? I believe according to the DOD the difference is 800+ meters: A sniper shoots targets at 800+meters, a marksman does not.

I myself never was a sniper so don't take my word for it, but if that's true: what's the difference between shooting something at 800+ meters and not? I'm pretty sure the difference is that at 800+ meters you have to compensate much more for the effects of gravity and wind and what not. You have to calculate where the bullet will land and adjust your aim accordingly, where as before 800 meters you can just aim straight at your target most of the time.

THE RELEVENCE TO PAINTBALL:
How often does anyone in paintball just aim straight at their target like you would as a regular marksman with a riffle? Almost never? YOu always have to aim high or to the left, or both to actually hit someone with a paintball, it's affected way more by gravity and other forces than a bullet is! Because you have to do alot of aim compensation with paintball... therefore aiming in paintball is way more like sniping than anything else.

So: contrary to the popular (i think) belief that sniping is impossible in paintball, ALL aiming in paintball is sniping! Either that or you're firing a continous line of paintballs then adjusting your aim while firing based on your observations, that's what machine gunners do, it's called walking in your aim.
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:09 PM

Here's a post I made in the same forum where I orginally posted the sniper thing:
http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...73405&st=90

There were some poeple saying that ghillie was useless in paintball, and another guy stated, in ghillie's defense, that they probably never saw someone use it properly, because most people don't know how.

It reminded me of this game I played which almost perfectly demonstated his point so I threw this in for support. THought you might appreciate it too.

I played against a couple dudes in ghillie once. One of them used it very effectively and 'bushed me repeatedly, it was very frustrating, and therefore majorly awesome on his part.

THe other guy was just running around like normal, but in ghillie, utterly defeating the purpose of his own gear. Meanwhile I was belly crawling through knee-high+ grass, not in ghillie, just regular camo. Flanked ghillie dude #2, crawled within 5 feet of him, poped up, and eliminated him:

BLAM! That's what ghillie is made for, if you're not gonna use it, give it to me! I didn't really say that 'cause I'm nice and stuff like that doesn't really bother me...

But like I said, Ghillie Dude #1 beat me down and I couldn't do anything about it. (Fist shaking) "Ghillie!"

There were some points where he was RIGHT IN front of me and I never even noticed him 'till he gog'd me. Why? Because of his ghillie and the way he used it, you can't pull that one off in jeans and a t-shirt... as easily... most of the time.

(anything is possible, and will eventually happen)
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:19 AM

I think one of the things people argued against snipers was that a true range-weapon didn't really exist. Modern snipers trade their rate and volume of fire for shot consistency at range. And until very recently, a parallel didn't really exist in paintball. You could put a flatline on your marker and add a few yards -- but so could anybody else, without sacrificing anything.

Posted Image

The FS rounds actually require you to make a trade-off. The add the things a sniper rifle should add; they take away the things a sniper rifle should take away. Basically, they change the argument altogether. And they settle it. If a "sniper" didn't exist last year, he does today.

I'm not saying that you HAVE to shoot the FS to qualify as a sniper, so don't misunderstand. What I am saying, though, is that someone using FS the way it was intended is a sniper -- and if your game looks similar, you probably count, too.
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#10 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:28 AM

View PostMurderDeathKill, on Sep 17 2009, 08:19 AM, said:

I think one of the things people argued against snipers was that a true range-weapon didn't really exist. Modern snipers trade their rate and volume of fire for shot consistency at range. And until very recently, a parallel didn't really exist in paintball. You could put a flatline on your marker and add a few yards -- but so could anybody else, without sacrificing anything.

Posted Image

The FS rounds actually require you to make a trade-off. The add the things a sniper rifle should add; they take away the things a sniper rifle should take away. Basically, they change the argument altogether. And they settle it. If a "sniper" didn't exist last year, he does today.

I'm not saying that you HAVE to shoot the FS to qualify as a sniper, so don't misunderstand. What I am saying, though, is that someone using FS the way it was intended is a sniper -- and if your game looks similar, you probably count, too.

Slightly off subject, but have you seen that you tube video of the dude who moded his SMG 68 to fire those things?

Full auto, high accuracy, it's awesome!
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:19 AM

At 75 cents a trigger pull, lol.

#12 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:29 PM

holy pants, that sounds awexome. Do want!
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:16 PM

View PostHeadshotPhantom, on Sep 17 2009, 10:19 AM, said:

At 75 cents a trigger pull, lol.

Oh no, this thing was ripping off 3-5+ round bursts. I mean automatic ratatatatatatat!
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:22 PM

View PostMurderDeathKill, on Sep 17 2009, 01:29 PM, said:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=9lnW4VGqVQY

Here's the link to the video, witness the holy pants awesomeness...

then all you have to do is buy an SMG 68 and make a simple mod to the striper clips (so I hear).

Oh, yeah, and buy a pants load of first strike paint.
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:39 AM

View PostShipwreck!, on Sep 17 2009, 11:22 PM, said:

View PostMurderDeathKill, on Sep 17 2009, 01:29 PM, said:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=9lnW4VGqVQY

Here's the link to the video, witness the holy pants awesomeness...

then all you have to do is buy an SMG 68 and make a simple mod to the striper clips (so I hear).

Oh, yeah, and buy a pants load of first strike paint.

Your hardest part would be finding stripper clips. That's what makes many SMGs unusable. They have few stripper clips remaining. Most were lost on fields or thrown out by parents. You'd need to find a decent amount (IIRC you could chain 4 together for a20 PB clip). And you'd really and i mean really want to find one of those clipper catchers to catch them as they eject. Cause if not, good luck finding them on the field after a game. Like i said, many were lost that way. The catcher mounts on the eject port of the clips and catches them for you into a little sac/bag.

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users