Special Ops Paintball: Special Ops Commando Stock (98 version) vs. JCS - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Special Ops Commando Stock (98 version) vs. JCS Review and Comparison

#1 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:04 AM

I just installed the SpecOps Commando Stock on my 98 Custom. I'd previously been using a JCS Folding Stock, but the JCS stock had a couple tactical problems that I wanted fixed.

Firstly, the JCS stock has a buttplate that sticks out from the stock body. This may seem like nothing, but when you try to quickly bring the gun to firing position you often discover that the buttplate gets snagged on your clothing, fouling your aim. The second problem is that these stocks, at least when I purchased them, did not come with a rubber shoulder pad. This, combined with the plate's narrow width, created a stock that tends to dig into your shoulder. Lastly, there was the reason I bought a folding stock in the first place: to let me still use the marker for speedball. I discovered the marker was too clumsy to use effectively with the stock collapsed, so I simply started playing speedball with the stock out, with amazing success. Woodsball guns actually do work well for speedball. My recent purchase of a lightweight 68 Carbine for run and gun type play sealed the deal.

For the upgrade, I chose the standard Commando stock, without the air-through capabilities. This was due to couple of reasons. First, I did not believe it justified the expense, due to the 98 Custom's ASA being far to the rear of the gun and low, which means any length benefits of air-through would be limited to 2 or 3 inches. Second, I figured I could always purchase the macroline and fittings, and perform the upgrade myself should I decide to invest in it. This actually turned out to be a very smart move, which I will explain momentarily.

At first comparison, there does not seem to be that significant a difference between the two stocks. The SpecOps stock is a bit more solid-looking, but the overall weight is about the same. When you actually press them to your shoulder, however, the SpecOps stock gives a solid, comfortable pressure, whereas the JCS digs in uncomfortably, especially if you move it from side to side.

Upon mounting it on my 98 Custom, I discovered something a bit disturbing. I use a Rocket Cock II on my marker, and cocking knob for the Rocket Cock II is directly in front of the front tube hole for the air through stock. This means that you will be unable to use your Rocket Cock II if you are using air through stock on a 98. I also discovered the optional bracing bracket, used to attach the stock to the right receiver half, does not work due to longer screw lengths needed for the Rocket Cock II (ordering an extra front foregrip screw should fix it). The bracket also does not fit without modification if you have response trigger installed (modification is a 1 minute Dremel job). Fortunately, you can play musical screws with it. Place the front grip screw in the stock and it will work, and put the original screw in the front grip and tape it in. The substitute front screw is long enough to hold it firmly until you obtain a replacement.

Once the stock is installed, the marker seems to balance a bit better than it did with the JCS. I am not certain if it is due to true balancing, or simple improved comfort. All I can tell you for certain at this point is that the marker just feels better. I tested bringing to aim several times, and I no longer have the issue with the stock getting snagged on my shirt. Snapping the marker to firing position also is a much smoother action, with far less wobble and twisting. The rubber buttplate grips your shoulder very well and prevents unintended movement.

Overall, it seems like a very worthwhile upgrade. The 98C version of the Commando stock is very competitive pricewise when compared to other stocks, but it is certainly the best I've felt so far. If you are looking for a good stock for your gun, check this out. You do not want the air-through version if you have a Rocket Cock II, and like any stock, you should expect to need a sight rail, but I must conclude SpecOps knows what they're talking about. Excellent product.

This post has been edited by PhoenixWolf: 16 December 2005 - 04:46 PM

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#2 User is offline   CptObvious 

• Original Join Date- 29th October 2004 - 04:14 PM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:CPTOBVIOUS

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:38 AM

Great review.

I have a JCS folding stock, however I love it more than any solid stock I have tried out, and lots more than the M4 stock I have on my VM. The JCS stock, to me, is quite comfortable, with the curve in the buttplate, it seems to form to my shoulder, and it also is quicker for me to bring it up to aim than the M4 stock with it's flat buttplate.
US Air Force
Posted Image
Proudly Sponsored by: ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers|| Stiffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
[/b]

#3 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:45 AM

I found the JCS reasonably comfortable, but not so much when I'm trying to swing the marker left and right. I also found it wobbled a bit when I tried to snap to shooting position. The SpecOps stock seems to give me a a bit quicker snap.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"

#4 User is offline   BigShady 

• *Calm like a BomB*
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:BigShady

Posted 17 December 2005 - 09:33 AM

Phoenix Wolf, do you have any pics of what you are talking about?

#5 User is offline   snuffels 

• REMOVED AND WARNED
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:snuffels

Posted 17 December 2005 - 02:17 PM

[QUOTE]I have a JCS folding stock, however I love it more than any solid stock I have tried out, and lots more than the M4 stock I have on my VM. The JCS stock, to me, is quite comfortable, with the curve in the buttplate, it seems to form to my shoulder, and it also is quicker for me to bring it up to aim than the M4 stock with it's flat buttplate.[QUOTE]

hmm... same for me. however I play most of the time with my JCS folded in.
Proud owner of an 2006 Gloss Burnt Orange Cyborg!
Have Speedball tips, hints? -PM me
~Team Random Hatreds Saber~

#6 User is offline   stealth_98sniper 

• Sniper of TAG Echo
  • PipPip

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:00 PM

I just made the same change from a JCS to a Commando stock..I havent actualy played a game wiht it yet but it does seem more comfertable and quicker to snap.

#7 User is offline   Warriortothecore882 

• out of retirement
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warriortothecore882

Posted 17 December 2005 - 06:18 PM

I plan on making the switch as well. i got the JCs because I could fold it away when I didn't need it, but found out that that never happens, so that was useless. It also wobbles a little bit from the adjustment knob (for length).

Fortem et Honorem - Strength and Honor

#8 User is offline   Chiquita 

• Better dead than red #32
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Chiquita

Posted 17 December 2005 - 06:24 PM

I have to disagree about the comment regarding an RCII and Airthrough stock. I have both, and yes there are a few difficulties. You can, however, pull your RCII back enough to cock it and push it back in. The only downside is that the macroline makes it a bit of a tight pull, and you have to pull at a slightly upward angle.
IPB Image
~Accepting a conclusion without evidence, or expecting others to do so, is a sure sign of lazy thinking.

#9 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2005 - 06:37 PM

Pic of my marker with the new stock and the Action Ghillie rag:

http://members.cox.n...ht700/AGRag.jpg

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users