• You cannot reply to this topic

Need some advice... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ben_davis1386 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:ben_davis1386

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:36 PM

Ok so here it goes. I have been playing for about 7 years. I started out in woodsball, moved to tourney, then back to woodsball, and now I am getting into scenario play. I have always considered myself more of a commander/ghost flanker sniper (uh oh, the S word lol) in the past, but in the last few games I have played I have kinda had to change positions depending on who was playing and with what gear. I have started to like the versatility of the Sabre position (commander is still my primary though) and would like some advice on how to gear my kit more towards the Sabre role to make myself more effective. Here is what I have now:

BT 4 Banshee
SP Ion, upped for speedball
04 AC Prostock
Tactical Harness (holds 4 100 rd pods and a couple grenades, radio, map)
BDU's (can't really afford all of the Spec Ops Digi stuff, although it is nice)
JT Camo goggles
Empire Reloader B
68/3000 HPA tank
Remote
Cheap Walmart 2way radio
etc...

So I guess my questions are directed more towards my Marker setup. I already know about barrels, stocks, handguards, etc.
1) Is an Egrip worth it? I like having the ability to fire 13bps but I don't shoot that fast unless I have to.
2) Is the Ripclip worth it? My reloader is fast enough but I would like to have a lower profile hopper.
3) Do you guys feel weight makes a big difference? My Banshee is pretty heavy, but I'm not exactly a small guy either.

These may seem like stupid questions but I am asking them in relation to a long (8+) hour scenario situation, because I am used to 30 min to 1hr games. Thanks for your help in advance.

#2 User is offline   TyTy 

• Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:49 PM

Well I'm not going to be the first telling you that a stated position should not dictate how or where you play. Although playing a position is more geared towards scenarioball and...what'ya know, you're playing scenarioball! :laugh: All is well there. As far as your questions...
EGRIP - I used to think that I did not need speed with my 98. Basically 5-6 bps was alright. Then I finally decided I needed something faster to better compete. Along came the Vibe. 11 or so bps was like a lightning storm for me then. I remember thinking and saying, "Wow speed is nice, this is all I'll ever want." WRONG. That was when I didn't know the meaning of speed. My current marker, a Fusion, defines speed for me. 25bps is something else in the woods and yes I do enjoy it. I don't waste paint just because I could if I wanted to though. It is handy as heck. Better to have the 13 bps when you need it than need it when you don't have it. Egrip = Yes in my opinion.
WEIGHT - In scenario ball I don't think weight makes a huge difference as long as you can lug your marker around for the 8+ hours. As long is the weight of your marker doesn't slow your snapshooting and make you lethargic you're okay.
-Ty

This post has been edited by Ty29: 12 November 2008 - 03:50 PM

#3 User is offline   ben_davis1386 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Post icon  Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:05 PM

Cool. That's what I figured about the Egrip and the weight of my marker. I just reread over my post and realized that it sort of sounds like I'm asking for advice on how to get my gun to do the job for me, but that's not what I am asking at all. I've been playing for a while and am very confident with my skills. I just kinda wanted some marker specific advice from BT owners (or 98 and A5 owners, as BT and Tippmann are very similar markers) on what other Sabres find works best for them so I can get an idea of things I can try out to tune my gear kit. Also, anybody that has any advice about any additions they made to their gear kit that made them more effective or efficient (for example using boots that breath better to keep your feet from sweating) would be greatly appreciated. :P

#4 User is offline   TyTy 

• Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:15 PM

I was writing and trying not to sound like I was refering to you as a new player because you've been playing a little less than 2 years more than me :P. For me breathability is really important during long games. If I sweat a ton than I get dehydrated and I feel like crap. I don't like to bring water on the field with me either because there isn't any way to carry it very easily. Bottom line I like to stay cool and keep my gear to a minimum (least weight possible).
-Ty
EDIT: PM'd you about some SO Digi stuff.

This post has been edited by Ty29: 12 November 2008 - 04:16 PM

#5 User is offline   ben_davis1386 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:36 PM

Oh I didn't think you were referring to me as a new player. I was saying that after rereading my original post I thought I kinda sounded like a noob lol. PM'd you back.

#6 User is offline   Jaron 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Jaron

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

Don't think of positions as a concrete system. Though others may slam SpecOps for outlining them, positions are and only ever have been meant as a set of guidelines of responsibilities. Anyone who says otherwise is taking them too literally.

So with that in mind, what are the usual things you find yourself doing on the field? Don't think of set positions, think jobs and responsibilities. Think what you'd like to change. then be honest: is your gear holding you back or do you just need some more practice? Most people can fulfill most positions with whatever gear they have. In regards to your specific questions.

E-Grip - I resisted getting one on my A-5 for a long time, I didn't really need it. But then I tried one out and I liked the extra capability it gave. I don't lay full auto fire. However, it helps a lot when firing bursts to put more paint downrange at your target. If you only get a moment of a clear shot, one ball may miss, but five have a better chance of scoring a hit.

Ripclip - it's a great feeding system, but you've already got a Reloader B. How often do you get tagged on your hopper? Would having a slightly lower profile help you? Is it worth the money the Ripclip would cost? There's no right or wrong answer here.

Weight - Yes, it makes a difference. When hiking I was told to think in ounces, not pounds, because 16 small items makes a pound. Now different load bearing systems distribute weight differently so you may feel the weight more or less. I used to carry a lot of crap on my vest that I just didn't need on the field. Over time I've learned to cut down on the stuff I carry while playing and leave the rest in the staging area. It seems small, but 5 lbs on a vest can make a difference after a whole day of running around. Granted this also depends on what type of scenarios you play. How self-sufficient do you have to be on the field? How long are you usually out there? Do you carry enough air/paint? Do you have reasonable access to the staging area to get tools, spare parts, reload, etc? Most time I play, if I need something it only takes about 10 minutes to walk to the staging area, grab what I need, and get back to the game so it's not a big deal. You may have different games.

If you're talking about the weight of your marker, that depends on what you have on it. I much prefer pure function over form so I don't have any shrouds or cosmetics on mine. If you have extra stuff on your marker, you may want to take them off.

#7 User is offline   Zzaque 

• Voce nao pode ser serio!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Zzaque

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:14 PM

This is all personal preference, I understand, and I like having a folding stock with my 98. I like a little versatility in my play style. The stock really helps me to take time off my snapshots. I just have a better sense of where I am aiming when I have somthing against my shoulder. I like the folding stock because I can, in essence, "shrink" my marker for times when having a stock makes it harder to get the angle I want. For example, when I am stuck behind a bunker with people firing at me to keep my head down I prefer to be able to just use my gun instead of my whole body to point my gun.

Like I said it is all how you play and your personal preference. If versatility is your role in a sabre position then I would recommend a folding stock. The rest of your gear kit looks great. The mask and gun are musts and the harness really helps. I wouldn't mind having someone as well prepared as you seem to be, backing me up in a game.
"So, I can't find any Vitamin B-12 pills . . . can't I just give him 2 Vitamin B-6's?"
-A Confused Nurse-

#8 User is offline   ben_davis1386 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:29 PM

Jaron- I appreciate the advice. Like I said in an earlier post, I am very confident in my skills, and I understand that roles are not concrete. I usually play as a flanker, waiting for the guys with a little faster makers to lay down cover while I move into position. In the past few games I have kinda had to fill in for my fellow players, providing cover fire, engaging in firefights, flanking, running point, etc. What I was wondering was what pieces of gear allow you to be more versatile, not just marker upgrades, but suggestions on other gear such as kneepads, hydration packs, etc. as this will be my first scenario game and I would like to be well prepared. I'm not looking for marker upgrades that will make me shoot better, but instead suggestions on how to lighten my gear or make my marker easier to maneuver (anyone that has held a Banshee knows it is not so easy to maneuver).

Z- Thanks for the advice. I will have to look into folding stocks. I'm considering converting my Banshee from an AK to an M4 or something similar (maybe an MP5?) to lighten the marker, and a folding stock would be a great idea!

#9 User is offline   Jaron 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Jaron

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:10 PM

For your first scenario, I would suggest the following:

DRINK WATER! You'd think everyone knows this, but still, lots of events I go to, someone passes out from heat exhaustion, dehydration, whatever. Granted, this time of year heat stroke isn't much of an issue. Still, depending where you go and the relative humidity, it's sometimes easier to dehydrate in dry cold than dry heat. So, packing a CamelBak type system isn't a bad idea. Most vests have some type of hydration bladder pocket. Also, most 20 oz - 32 oz sports drink bottles fit nicely in a pod sleeve.

Second, I'm not familiar with BT Banshees, but the images I found when searching have the AK-47 look. Now a buttstock can come in handy, but I'd lose the barrel shroud personally. It doesn't do anything for your game and just makes the marker heavier.

Next, me knee-pads are some of the best $20 I've spent on paintball. Even with padded pants, rocks, roots, and other hard objects will leave you sore. Hard cap knee pads solve all this and allow you to drop, roll, and move other ways that before would leave you wincing just at the thought of. You can also pick up some elbow or forearm pads to help crawl through brush and prickly terrain.

Finally, get a quality radio. I feel lost when I play without mine because I'm not connected to my team. If you're on relatively flat terrain then cheaper radios might work just fine. But once you start throwing in hills and dense trees, you need something reliable that can work with weaker signals. Also, you might want to get a headset to go with it so you're not blaring your position when you're going for those ghost flanking moves.

#10 User is offline   Invictusone 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Invictusone

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:17 PM

hey i need some advice as well. I have been having trouble staying in matches, but i am not sure why. does anyone have any advice other than play less agressive, for i saw that on a post in a different spot.
I'm not out here to glorify myself
If you are a Christian paintballer add this to your signature
Automaggot 150
--------------------------------------------------------------
My feedback: http://forum.special...howtopic=184491

#11 User is offline   sousey 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:HELL-FIRE

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

I have the BT-ERC - if you are thinking your marker already is heavy...I love my rip clip but the thing does have some weight to it. if you have friend who has one, see if you can play a round with it before making the investment. I would recommend a sling either way.

the BT eGrip is nice but it's honestly overkill for my shooting style.

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:42 PM

View PostInvictusone, on Feb 3 2010, 09:17 PM, said:

hey i need some advice as well. I have been having trouble staying in matches, but i am not sure why. does anyone have any advice other than play less agressive, for i saw that on a post in a different spot.

Make sure to use your head. Don't get nervous and remember it is just a game. Most of the time when I am trying to just have fun, I play at the top of my game.

#13 User is offline   Invictusone 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Invictusone

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:10 PM

alright thanks for the advice. i will definitely try to relax next time i play, as i am an uptight guy
I'm not out here to glorify myself
If you are a Christian paintballer add this to your signature
Automaggot 150
--------------------------------------------------------------
My feedback: http://forum.special...howtopic=184491

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users