Special Ops Paintball: which one would you recommend? - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

which one would you recommend? $500 or under prcie range.

Poll: Tourny gear... (76 member(s) have cast votes)

which would you get?

1. 05 Ego (12 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

2. Etek (17 votes [22.37%])

Percentage of vote: 22.37%

3. DP Fusion (6 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

4. DP F8 (9 votes [11.84%])

Percentage of vote: 11.84%

5. BL Protege (9 votes [11.84%])

Percentage of vote: 11.84%

6. Karnivor (4 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

7. Jeff Orr series (1 votes [1.32%])

Percentage of vote: 1.32%

8. some Angel (please post which one) (2 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

9. Impulse (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

10. Other (please elaborate) (16 votes [21.05%])

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

Hopper?

1. Pinokio hoppers (3 votes [3.95%])

Percentage of vote: 3.95%

2. Halo B (18 votes [23.68%])

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

3. Reloader B (15 votes [19.74%])

Percentage of vote: 19.74%

4. Eggy (3 votes [3.95%])

Percentage of vote: 3.95%

5. VLocity (35 votes [46.05%])

Percentage of vote: 46.05%

6. hell, with the new rules I can use a Revvy still (2 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Chaos Fiend 

• :)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:|GEARHEAD|

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:10 PM

So, me and a few of my friends are putting a tourny team together, so that means I need to upgrade out of stock class. We are hoping to join back into the amature curcuit. Currently I do fine in all the local tourny's with my '94 sniper, but if we are going to compete at high levels I figured I mise well upgrade the firepower a bit. Anyway, I've looked around read up on pbreview, and even asked some big time players, like Datus T. So what I've come down to is I'd rather not spend too much. I really don't care if I buy a used or new gun. But I would rather not spend a lot on a gun, because I play a ton. Performance wise, my top 2 choices would be an 05 ego, etek, or karnivor. Now performance and price wise the Fusion is the what I'm looking towards. Now here's my question for you guys:

1. Which one of these is easy to understand how to maintain (I'm a cocker guy, so it's not too big of a deal, but I have no idea how to tune these guns)
2. Which is most efficient.
3. Which would be the one where really, for my purposes as an intro to high ends would be easy to learn to tune and has a light trigger pull?
4. which one just feels the best.
5. which is the most reliable.

I'm leaning more towards the Karnivor because I love cockers and I already know how to do just about everything for it, but I really like ego's and eteks. I have always been a fan of impulses, but I dislike any other SP gun. The reason the protege is up there is because I have a friend who can get them cheap. The Angel gear I can get with discounts because I play with a scenario team that is sponsored and gets discounts from them. Same with the pinokio hoppers.

For hoppers, really my only question is which one is most reliable. I've never been a fan of any hopper over 50rds, but to be honest I don't care who makes it, what it looks like, as long as it's reliable.

Thanks everyone.
"I dont like brass so I guess I am good to go." -Jiu jitsu fighter. "Communist." -Tu Padre
Pump Player #113 My Feedback +27/-0

#2 User is offline   Ghoulscout 

• dont make me destroy you
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ghoulscout

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:17 PM

well if your team has already got a sponsorship talk to that sponsor about what you want to do and see what kind of a "hook up" then can give you on this team.
pain is an illusion of the body, dispair is an illusion of the mind!

feed back SO (+4/-0) Pbnation(+2/-0)
http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=129545

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1...13%27s+feedback

#3 User is offline   Chaos Fiend 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:19 PM

I meant that the scenario team I play for (I'm not a full time member) can give me discounts. This is for a purely Tourny/air-ball team. most likely a 5 man and maybe a 3 or 7 man.
"I dont like brass so I guess I am good to go." -Jiu jitsu fighter. "Communist." -Tu Padre

#4 User is offline   Galihad 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Galihad

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:28 PM

alright, might get flamed for this, but oh well, I have little idea on how most of the above markers perform and so take this recommendation for what its worth.

I'm a spool fan, I love easy simple markers that perfom well in a nice tight little package, and while its not technically a spool I'm going to recommend the Mini.

now before you go say its too small, just try and hold one and see how it feels, I'm a bigger guy and was worried about the small factor myself, but this marker is amazing and performs right up there with the best of them. Its a single tube poppit, so you get all the air effeciency of a poppit marker with the ease of matinence of a spool. The trigger is incredibly light as it uses a hall optic trigger (pretty sure its some sort of magic :rolleyes: ) and can be adjusted very easilly. I'm actually working on putting together a full teardown of the Mini to show everyone here how it ticks (once I get homework done) but you can see animations of it working with a quick google search (sorry I don't have a link for ya)

as for hoppers I really like my Reloader B and the fact that I can get upgrades for it to make it into a Magna and have it RF is sick

again this is all my opinion, and should be viewed as such

This post has been edited by Galihad: 31 January 2008 - 02:42 PM

Christian paintballers -beating the hell out of satan with tiny balls-
Sabre #117
My feedback!:click here

#5 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:41 PM

Considered a Mini?

#6 User is offline   commander mike 

• the door is locked now but its open if your true - Metallica
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:commander mike

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:43 PM

An Etek Ego with a Vlocity sounds good.
Posted Image
Friends dont let friends shoot .50 cal... - The Stuntman

#7 User is offline   Chaos Fiend 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:51 PM

I've messed around with a mini, but it just didn't feel right to me. I don't know, it may just be that I'm not used to electronic markers.

#8 User is offline   Galihad 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

View PostChaos Fiend, on Jan 31 2008, 03:51 PM, said:

I've messed around with a mini, but it just didn't feel right to me. I don't know, it may just be that I'm not used to electronic markers.

alright then man, if you don't like the feel of them and can't get comfortable with one, then I can totally understand, just don't like it when people who have never even seen one up close think its too small.

don't know what to say about the Eclipse markers you are leaning towards the only one I've ever held was my field owners SL-74, and something tells me if I grabbed an 05 or etek after that I would be really dissapointed. especially after he showed me how he could get up to 5bps by shaking it :rolleyes:
Sabre #117

#9 User is offline   Chaos Fiend 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:48 PM

^ wow, that would be interesting to see. Yeah about the mini, it's not that they feel small, it just felt awkward. I think it might have been how close together the foregrip and the frame are. I'll have to go borrow my friends and use it at a practice to get used to it.

#10 User is offline   UWANNAGO 

• Im kind of a big deal, people know me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:UWANNAGO

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

I would go with the etek...and vlocity

The etek is light...minimal matinance...cheep...shoots fast...durable...its an ego which means you get the PE techs...it looks nice...and its hard to break

The vlocity is just an amazingly light hopper and it feeds really fast...you can beat it to hell too...the shells are really durable and you can get new ones easily, if they break or you wanna change colors.

peace,
Teddy K

#11 User is offline   Galihad 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:36 PM

View PostChaos Fiend, on Jan 31 2008, 04:48 PM, said:

^ wow, that would be interesting to see. Yeah about the mini, it's not that they feel small, it just felt awkward. I think it might have been how close together the foregrip and the frame are. I'll have to go borrow my friends and use it at a practice to get used to it.

I'll admit they are pretty close together, but when you are snap shooting its an amazing marker because its so easy to sight down the barrel, and thats due to its size. and when it comes to tourny's you are going to have some sort of ramping I'm sure, and you can ramp with one finger with the stock trigger, try it on your friends its fun to do, and yeah the SL-74 was sooo sick, he set it down on the table and it shot twice
Sabre #117

#12 User is offline   flyweightnate 

• Closed bolt. Rock n cock, or rock n roll.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:flyweightnate

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:57 PM

Well, I wouldn't all get the same gun. Snake players would benefit from a single-tube design, shorter overall front length, and direct mount ASA, like a Mini. Back guys, a freakin Shoebox Shocker could do the job if it were efficient.

I highly recommend buying two guns apiece (blasphemy!) or at least a total of 7 or 8 guns. Nothing sucks worse than a gun going down. Same with nitro, 2 tanks apiece. Front men, 45/45 or even 47/3k, back men, 88/45, mid guys 68/45. Hoppers, again, get backups. I recommend a Halo B, because even with the new rules, a Revvy doesn't have forcefeed, whereas the Halo does. But you certainly don't need a VLocity SF or Reloader B. I recommend Ricochet hoppers as backups. Cheap, pretty durable, dang fast for a mere agitated loader.

But as far as guns: Mini would be great for frontmen, the BL gun is a great all-around. Check out some spoolies, too. The Proto guns aren't half bad for the price. DP makes good stuff too; I own a gun that their design is based off. Mine gets 1900 shots off a 68/45, so I'm guessing the Fusion gets close to that. But really, each guy should figure out his style (front back, dorito, snake?) and find a gun to match. Get a nice tall short setup for a backman, to make a longer barrel comfy, get long and low for the snake, etc. Ergonomics is very important for accuracy. I got a Stiletto drop (angles the tank up towards the gun, into your shoulder) and feel remarkably more accurate now, just because my gun is more "pointable". The mini is another such "pointable" gun, because the barrel is so low to the frame.

All those guns are great (except the impulse, not a fan; needs too much work to work well) and angels and 'cockers might be more trouble than they're worth (I shoot a cocker, but I'm being honest). Grab the DPs, BLs, or a Mini. Probably the best choices on there. Eclipse is overpriced/ overrated, IMO. Oh... ICD Freestyle. Another good one.

Well, that's more than my 2 cents. More like my dollar fifty. Go buy a drink and a candy bar with it.
Feedback.
"Listen to nate hes always right, no joke"- Mighty Mike

#13 User is offline   Galihad 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:50 PM

what flyweightnate is giving out 1.50? I'll take five :(

but he does bring up a very good point that everyone is going to be doing something different, however I must argue with you on the Halo B instead of the Reloader B. They feed the exact same speed (faster than needed) The only functional difference is a sound activated board vs. a board that uses eyes to sense if balls are in the feedneck. this means that the Reloader B will use less battery power than the Halo B because it doesn't have to keep eyes on all the time, and it also doesn't have the problem with not recognizing dark colored paint.

Sound activated hoppers FTW!
Sabre #117

#14 User is offline   Chaos Fiend 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

well, I should have stated that I have plenty of tourny experience, just I've always used my sniper or my buddies classic mag. I'm a frontman, I can pull off mid if needed. I'm more of a dorito/tombstone/aztec kinda guy. I'm not great in the snake, but I'm the craziest, so I might end up as a snake guy. Thanks for the help so far guys. I think I'm torn between a fusion, mini, etek, viking or a karni.

Oh yeah, is it normal that I can't walk with my left hand worth poo right now. I've never used an electro, besides screwing around. Also my buddy has got an 05 ego, I might just buy his, cuz I really like it a lot more than the 07 I tried a few months ago.

#15 User is offline   blackraven64 

• What more do you want?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlackRaven

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

I would say the 05 ego or the Protege. Both get great efficiency and perform very well. But your best bet is to just try and use as many guns as possible then go from there. My personal favorites are Marqs , Matrices and then Egos coming in a close third.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users