• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mask less. Help? It's me again xHEADSTRONGxx Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   xHEADSTRONGxX 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

Hey guys. I'm glad for all the gun ideas and advice but almost every other reply was, GET A GOOD MASK! So I'm here to ask any one willing to help, What masks do you guys recommend? I've had issues with fogging and discomfort in the past. What I'm looking for is a decent to good quality mask with super comfort and low fogging. What do you guys recommend?

#2 User is offline   Invictusone 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Invictusone

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:21 PM

From experience, I love V force profilers.

However, if you look at any of the ones on the spec-ops store (not to be a fanboy or anything) they are probably good masks to take to the field.
I'm not out here to glorify myself
If you are a Christian paintballer add this to your signature
Automaggot 150
--------------------------------------------------------------
My feedback: http://forum.special...howtopic=184491

#3 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:28 PM

if u dont have a "tall" head or a huge mandible, id go with a proflex/flex 7/flex 8/ etc.

This post has been edited by Down Range Pain: 24 January 2011 - 07:28 PM

Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

#4 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

My first mask were VForce Profilers - I can vouch for their comfort, and visibility. HUGE range. The yellow lenses really bring out contrasts. However, while they are Thermal ("antifog") lenses, I found they didn't work for me because the antifog is a coating that comes off as soon as you make the mistake of wiping the mask.

I switched to a set of considerably more expensive Dye i3's (Pros, whatever) - as I've told the story many times, my friend has played through a thunderstorm without fog while the rest of us wandered around trying not to bail in the mud. Why? It has a Dual Pane Thermal lens - there's no coating to wipe, you just have to be careful not to wreck the seal around the lens.

They haven't fogged for me yet... but I find compared to the Profilers, the foam is not nearly as dense, and so, over time, not nearly as comfortable.

I have heard good things about the Dye i4's, but they are VERY small. They are made to be excessively flexible, which accompanied with its size, means low protection. What's more important to you? My chin actually stuck out a bit at the bottom when I tried them on.

Proto masks are essentially the lower quality versions of the Dye masks (made by Dye, in fact). Some people swear by them, but I've heard of the dual pane lenses coming apart - also, a know a couple guys who bought them, and yes, they eventually fogged the first day (5 hour scenario in August)

I know less about the Empire EVents, except they would be similar in size and protection compared to the Profilers - but with a dual pane lens (I am obviously in love in dual pane lenses - NO VForce masks have dual pane). I had another friend who bought one of these, and his also fogged during that same 5 hour scenario. Again, no issues so far with the Dye i3 for myself or my friend.

#5 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kaosukoden

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:39 PM

I use the Vforce Profilers, I replace my lense at least once every 6 to 8 months, and it's about $18 at my local store for a replacement. They're easy as crap to pop off and clean, and very very comfortable. My hat fits over top easily, or a beenie underneath without an issue. I can play with my full balclavia on and they sill sit nicely over my face. While I'm sure there are other masks worth mentioning, some probably better than these. I will swear by them.

#6 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

View Postkaosukoden, on 24 January 2011 - 07:39 PM, said:

I use the Vforce Profilers, I replace my lense at least once every 6 to 8 months, and it's about $18 at my local store for a replacement. They're easy as crap to pop off and clean, and very very comfortable. My hat fits over top easily, or a beenie underneath without an issue. I can play with my full balclavia on and they sill sit nicely over my face. While I'm sure there are other masks worth mentioning, some probably better than these. I will swear by them.

That's why I didn't like them, personally - my local proshop only carried Grillz lenses (why???!) so I had to order mine in from the States...so $20 or $30 plus $20 shipping...it gets expensive. Once the coating is gone, you can literally fog in minutes.

The part I wanted to add is: whatever masks you decide are good, and are the ones you want to pick from - TRY THEM ON!!! Especially with regards to comfort and protection - if it doesn't cover you adequately, or it fits in a way you don't think you could wear it 4 hours straight, DON'T BUY IT... no matter how good it's supposed to be.

#7 User is offline   D.B.D 

• Snipar4
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Snipar4

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

I personally have the Dye i4 mask and have had no problems in the rain, snow or any hot day... granted, I don't like how the top of my nogin' sticks out (have a hat to cover that problem), but extremely comfortable and light, and fantastic field of vision.

Prior to this mask, I had the Extreme Rage Thermal lense, beautiful mask, never fogged up on me, no problems only problem was that since my head is small it seemed I couldn't get it tight enough. It wasn't falling off, just felt loose... Field of vision was decent, but for 30$ on Ebay, I can't complain.
Aim for anything that is visible, most of my shots are either leg, elbow or head... that is if you see me first.

#8 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:09 AM

I love my i4s, but they are a little small, and are currently terribly worn out. I hate the stupid little velcro thing for the soft ears to attach to, because the glue always comes undone and the bottom of the soft ears are able to move around. Not really an issue, it just doesn't feel as safe to me, but i'm fairly confident its still perfectly safe. I'm switching to Axis Pros, they're slightly bigger, and a little more breathable, and the soft ears are attached properly and solidly.
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#9 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

Go to a paintball store and try on every mask they have in stock!

All high end masks work pretty good, but they are not made to fit every head out there.
Not only is comfort a seriously high priority, but if the mask does not fit right it will not perform well.

My example is the VForce Profiler. Many players love them. As you have seen in prior posts. They do nt quite fit my facial structure and they fog up on me terribly! Got rid of them after the first wekend of reffing in them.

The VForce Grill fits my face great. Coverage is pretty good...a bit of my jawline shows but that is ok. The major problem I have....the tip of my nose touches the inside of the mask. Just enough to be truely annoying! And I hate to think about taking a squre hit to the tip of my nose even if it is cover by plastic!

The JT Flex8 is awsome...but my first time wearing it I got hit in the tip of my earlobe. Squeeled like a damn pig! Turnsout my earlobes hang out just a tiny bit. I gave those to my son and they fit him fine.

The Dye masks seem to be made for dolls they are so small. I do not have a big head. But the Invision line leaves my jaw, chin and ears hanging out from below the mask. No thank you.

The Sly Profits fit great! But right along with the new Angel mask you might as well sell add space on your forehead! I seriously dislike headbands to protect my dome...so I will not buy these masks

What I have found for me is the that the Invert Avatar and the JT Flex7 masks work the best.

But my point is...that is me. And those masks may not fit you right.

If you cannot get to a store, try on the masks of players local to you. You might get funny looks when you ask but it is truely the only way you will know.

If all else fails you can do trial and error like more than a few of us have in the past.

#10 User is offline   chinstrap 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kl0wn

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:59 PM

View PostKrazy8, on 25 January 2011 - 12:56 PM, said:

Go to a paintball store and try on every mask they have in stock!

If you cannot get to a store, try on the masks of players local to you. You might get funny looks when you ask but it is truely the only way you will know.

If all else fails you can do trial and error like more than a few of us have in the past.

Listen to this man.

If you have to do trial and error, I'd suggest starting with a Profiler since they're the lowest-priced of the high-end masks and tend to fit the widest range of faces. Most places sell them for about $60.

I wear one and tend to forget I have it on. Last weekend, I even wore it during the downtime between games because it was sunny and there was snow everywhere and the glare from it was killing me (I run a smoke lens, so it's like a pair of sunglasses).
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

Since "Try them on" has already been driven home, I won't repeat it. Finding a mask that covers all the areas plus feels good is very important & the only way to know for certain is to actually "try them on", but I promised I wasn't going to repeat it... ;).

I have been wearing the same Profiler for the past 4 years & have loved them other than the occasional fogging. Even a brand new lens has fogged on me given the right conditions, older lenses w/ a worn coating will fog without much effort. I've used FogTech lens wipes & added a dual fan to combat both issues, so far ok but still get decent fog in cold weather.

The only way to truly beat fog is a dual pane lens, which the Vforce line of masks (Profiler & Grill) don't have. The trick is taking care of the lens when cleaning them. The seal between the lenses will break down over time & likely faster if it gets wet so wiping the lens w/ a wet cloth, not dunking it in a bucket/sink, will help preserve the seal.

If for some reason you can't try masks on, these Invert/Vents Helix are cheap enough that if you don't like them they are practically disposable at that price, or you could just resell them without taking much of a loss. It's a great mask that my cousin has been wearing for the past year+. A dual pane mask for under $30 shipped can't really be beat.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#12 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Private Silver

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

Well....yeah, like everyone else said, try them on....getting repetitive...hopefully it's sinking in. Posted Image

Anyway, personally, I have never worn any profilers or grillz or flexes or profits or events.
Still on my first ever personal mask, and that is of a Dye i3.
Still on the first lens, no structural issues, seal is still there almost a year later, hasn't fogged once, fits great (although i agree with the earlier post, the foam is fairly thin, any really extended period of time of wear is going to get a little annoying).
I personally do not have a "small" head, but my chin does stick out by a few hairs (literally, with the beard and all Posted Image), but other than that, it's a great mask.

Hrm..reading this...perhaps I should get a new lens..
Posted Image
SO Feedback +2/ E-bay feedback +14

#13 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:26 PM

Haha my friend is bad with his i3 and all his gear really...I always like to make sure mine is clean and ready to go...

He leaves his in his trunk. I've always read to keep excessive pressure and temperatures away from the masks (like don't put them at bottom of your bag) so the lens seal isn't wrecked... he didn't know that, but his is still going strong after 2 years of ... well, abuse :P

I mean, it's in his trunk right now...and has been through all the -30. :P

#14 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

I3s were awesome. Now passé because changing the lens in them were the worst job.

#15 User is offline   DZ Unit-1 

• Cacophony Pony
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DZ Unit-1

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:11 PM

If it be possible, go and try on as many masks as you please at a paintball store, I started with V Force profilers, and have found them prominent and efficient in every form and aspect
Posted Image
"and DZ, I love that pic so much. If you were a girl, and not just a dude who looked like a girl, I would kiss you." mrwaterbuffalo, 1:17 AM "DZ, what are you?" -SnV- "He are legend." -Veritech Squad-

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users