Some basics to concealment. How to hide effectivly Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

#1 User is offline   SniperGeerm 

• One Shot One Kill
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Geerm

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:29 AM

Using The Environment For Concealment

Most people think that it requires a solid object to to block the vision of an opponent from you. But it is possible to conceal yourself in plain sight from an opponent by using the environment around you. Leaves, bushes, branches, and other various natural objects can be molded by you to conceal yourself in an unlikly place. First you must know your surroundings before you can perform this sucessfully. You must know what materials,colors, and shapes that keep you from being blended into the surroundings.

The first and foremost is what materials are going to aid you in your concealment. You must use natural materials that look as if they naturally belong in the surrounding of your hide. Using the wrong materials in the wrong surroundings will give you away such as covering yourself in pine branches when you are attempting to hide in a grassy opening. The human eye will imediatly pick up on this abnormality and immediatly begin a more extensive investigation. It is better to use materials that match what is around you for superior concealment. Like covering yourself in maple leaves, when your hide is under a maple tree in the fall, or putting some branches or bark over you when you are by a fallen tree.

Next is the color factor. You will need to match the colors that surround you as much as possible. Also, black should never be used because black is not natural color and will be detected. Black is created from the absense of light so, if you are in a shadow, you will appear blended in with the shadow no matter what color you appear if the oppenent is in a brighter possition than you. Figure out what colors are in your background, because you are wanting to conceal yourself in the background. You do not want to use the bright colours of things that the human eye will usually pick up on first(Such as trees). The goal is to blend into the background so use mainly browns, tans, greys and some green if your woods ground has lots of vegitation,and apply very little amounts of reds, yellows, and such. If you think you should blend in with the trees, then dress up as a freakin' tree, I cannot stress this more, the objective is to blend into the background.

Shape in nature is completly random. Only humans use "shapes", so it is your job to obscure your outline. The oppenent will pick up on solid outines, and mostly of your head and shoulder area. So apply foliage, or other materials that will break your outline and keep the oppenent from looking twice.

You can also use shadows to conceal yourself from the enemy. The human eye cannot adjust to different lighting situations at the same time, so if the area is well lit, then you can use a shadow effectivly. Trees,logs,boulders, and other bigger objects will always cast a shadow if there is light being cast down on it. You can use these shadows to make yourself appear as part of the shadow. But remember that if there is light being casted on to you yourself will also create a shadow, so make sure you are out of the light completly. As I said before, if the oppenent is in a brighter area then, itwill be harder for them to make sense of what is in the shadow, but if they are in a area that is just as or more dark than yours, they will be able to make clear of what is there.

Silhouette, yet not as important can also give you away. If you hide on the top of a hill, then someone looking up that hill will be able to see your outline very easily because of the outline that is present from the light sky background. It is better to hide on the slope of the hill, so that you are not given away by your outline on the skyline.

Light reflections are always picked up on from the human eye even if it isn't in their direct line of sight. Your gear can reflect the suns light and give you away, so make sure that you cover any shiny, metallic objects that are prone to reflection of light. So cover these objects with debrise and what-not. Glasses, visors, and optics can reflect light also, but if covered will compromise your vision, so try to use your eyes to scan around instead of moving your head or gun around.

Hiding in the open, takes nerves of steel, you have to know how to control yourself. Excessive movement will cause the enemy to hear andsee you. If you absolutly have to move, then move very slowly, trying to avoid rustling natural/artificial hiding material(when picking material, try to find silent materials). Quick movements are what the eye will imediatly come in contact with, so moving slowly will give you a better chance of not being spotted. Also, reconize the wind patterns, and you can move with the wind which will look like natural movement. And when peeking you head up, remember you have a forehead, so more of you is moving than you think. Try to look around an object instead of over it beacause it will limit the clearance of other parts of your body to your eyes, there for making a smaller target even if you are detected.

Now that you know all this information, you should practice it and you will become a ghost in the woods, and the enemy wont even know what hit them.

-SniperGeerm-

#2 User is offline   Green_Ghost 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Green_Ghost

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:17 AM

I smell a sticky. Good job, makes me want to go out and play paintball right now.

#3 User is offline   SniperGeerm 

• One Shot One Kill
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Geerm

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:31 AM

Thanks

#4 User is offline   tacsnipa 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tacsnipa

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:33 AM

exellent post

#5 User is offline   O'C 

• Machineguns!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:O'C

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:09 AM

Hey, thanks Im sure this will help alot of those new commers. SP?

#6 User is offline   axe killer 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:axe killer

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:24 AM

great post.
play fair, play hard, and show no mercy
Save our game! If you are honorable and play fair, put this in your sig.
proud member and founder of the "Guerilla Mafia"
proud member of the" woodland warriors"

#7 User is offline   Glitch 

• The Myrmidon's Tactical Attorney
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Glitch

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:48 AM

I concur, awesome post Geerm.
The Myrmidon Empire

#8 User is offline   Aurora Knight 

• Semper Fi
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Spartan 043

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:11 PM

Well done. This has good info.

All Wars are Civil wars, for all men are brothers.
HOTTEST Karnivor EVER! http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=161438

#9 User is offline   gamer 

• Yes.... it hurts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHADOWOPS

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:57 PM

This is an excellent post. I have just finished taking the last bits of black off my personal rig. Excellent info. Well done.
- I am Jack's complete lack of suprise. -

#10 User is offline   STA Swift 

• Swift
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Swift

Posted 04 August 2006 - 03:37 AM

View PostSniperGeerm, on Jun 23 2006, 10:29 AM, said:

And when peeking you head up, remember you have a forehead, so more of you is moving than you think. Try to look around an object instead of over it beacause it will limit the clearance of other parts of your body to your eyes, there for making a smaller target even if you are detected.

This is wise advice for solid objects but in vegitation, try to look THROUGH the vegitation if you can. Called "Buring A Window". This technique is extremely hard for me. Some people just pick it up naturally but this always gave me trouble on the stalk lane.

Relax your eyes and try to see through the gaps in the veg. You won't be able to see everything but they won't be able to see you either. It helps to look to the side at something that's approximately as far as what you want to look at through the bush. Stare at it for a little while so your eyes get used to focusing that far. Then go back to trying to look through the veg.

A helpful trick if you bother with mini binos. Focus them at the object off to the side and then go back to looking through your veg. Everything but those gaps are going to look fuzzy with the other areas clear.

#11 User is offline   jiu-jitsu fighter 

• Would you rather me barrel tag you or choke you unconscious
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Jiu-Jitsu Fighter

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:21 PM

I agree with everything except the black part. I have seen guys were black and dark blue and just be still and people walk right past them.

I got ambushed by a guy wearing brown pants and a black sweatshirt. We were walking in a squad with about 6 people and he popped up and shot three of us. I hit him in the throat at about 20 yards but it was a reaction shot not aimed.
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.

My feedback

#12 User is offline   gunslinger64600 

• Team Ghost, Assemble!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:gunslinger64600

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:02 PM

Great post, all in all it means it usually helps to wear camo.

-Gunslinger
IPB Image
Team Ghost is Proudly Sponsered by www.orderpaintball.com

#13 User is offline   3MUMFM 

• ^A random collection of letters and numbers^
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:3MUMFM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:20 PM

Ok this post should probaly go somewhere else but ill post it anyways after all its about concealing your sound as your walking. :D what is the exact tecnique and what does everyone find helpful to do.
He who control Iceland controls the World... - Adam Sessler Xplay
All of Warfare is deception. - Sun Tzu Art of War
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins but, excels in winning with ease. - Sun Tzu
LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSUIT OF ALL WHO THREATEN IT - United States Navy
The two most adundant things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. Which is more so we may never know- Can't remember just not mine

#14 User is offline   JUDGE 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:TL-X Sniper

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:07 PM

:ph34r: Thanks man helps alot. :ph34r:
This signature has been zapped by Ernie the Ban Llama (HeadshotPhantom's pet) due to it being to large. Read the rules and then replace it according to legal guidelines.

#15 User is offline   spartan35 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:spartan35

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:02 AM

A good thing to do is to move with the wind. When there is wind, when it blows, move. I was able to sneak up on 2 of my teamates and they had np idea i was there. Also, when your in an ambush, unfocus your eyes so that u have a wider feild of veiw and u pick up movement better. Odds are u wont see someone as a figure, but as a movment of a gun or somthing.
For anyone that doesn't belive in paintball snipers, watch your back when i'm around.
Furtim, Patientia, Veneratio
(Stealth, Patience, Honor)

I can see you, can you see me?
IPB Image

9 out of 10 teens listen to rap. If you're one of the few that stay true to metal, put this in your signature!

Whats your zombie plan?
(red vs blue)

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users