• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

mr1 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jflower2 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:32 PM

do you guys think i should get a mr1. does it mess up. does it chop paint.does it have any problems

This post has been edited by jflower2: 03 February 2008 - 03:38 PM

#2 User is offline   Elfonso 

• South Paw.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Thunderbyrd

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:47 PM

The deal with the MR-1 is that it shoots hot. That means that it shoot above a feilds set FPS (feet per second). The lowest you can set it on the MR-1 is like 310-320, but most fields need the FPS to be 280-300. So you might have to either go to a field where FPS isn't too strict, or cut the spring a little. It's might not be too risky, just a learning expirence (sp?).

Other than that, it's just like any other Spyder mechanical. I generally won't chop paint because generally, you won't be able to reach chopping speeds.

Spyders are alright guns when it comes to reliablity. They requirer a little more oiling and upkeep with your gun. Not much, just a little TLC, but you should be doing that to all your guns. Also, plan on buying replacements internals, and leaks, and what not. But that's expected for more paintball gear in that price range.
Paintballer AND Airsofter

98% of forum members have a stupid, far-fetched statistic like this in their sig. If you're in the 2% that don't, post this in your sig.

#3 User is offline   gameystar333 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PYROPAINTBALLER

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:09 PM

you can make it stop shooting hot with a spring kit or leaving it cocked for a day
guy "How come you guys didn't arm the bomb"
aimforthetrash "because we all died"
my crowning forum achhivement
Feedback here soon.
I support Mike and TechPb. Put this in your sig if you do too.

#4 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:18 PM

It isn't particularity my cup of tea. For the price it isn't so bad, but you get what you pay for. The biggest limiting factor is the standard Kingmann/Spyder stacked tube blowback valve system. It isn't that bad, but it has it's flaws. The stacked tube blowback became popular as they were a cheap and easy to make system that allowed people to sell semi-auto guns at a very affordable prices. It's rather crude in operation. It is loud, relatively inefficient, inconsistent, and sensitive to pressure fluctuations in CO2. It also has design that makes the sear catch a moving bolt. If you've ever seen a rental at the field that seemed like it was firing two-three shots per trigger pull, that is what happens when the sear wears down. It's a characteristic wearing problem with the design.

When using unregulated CO2, your output pressure form the tank will vary as you fire. Cooler temperatures lower the output pressure while warmer ones raise it. The pressure inside the tank can vary form 500psi to around 1000psi. Your velocity is partially dependent on what pressure the tank is at. Changing pressure results in erratic velocities and hence erratic accuracy. Firing the marker cools down the tank and lowers it output pressure reducing your velocity. This creates a common "beatdown" effect when firing long strings of paint. Another problem is liquid CO2 entering the marker and expanding after it has passed the valve system. This produces a hot shot. This occurs in cold climates or when the marker is fired downhill. This further contributes to erratic velocities.

Both of the these issues can be solved or helped by either using a high pressure air tank, or adding a CO2 regulator like a palmer's stabilizer. Using an expansion chamber or running your air tank form a remote line will help combat liquid CO2 getting into the marker.

It isn't notably soft on paint. It will chop paint in a few situations. The first is when you fire faster than your loader can feed the balls. This isn't a problem with the marker, but a problem with your rate of fire. It isn't particularity gentle on paint, but it shouldn't have a problem so long as you are using fresh paint with a decently tough shell.

The problem with it shooting hot out of the box can also be solved by clipping a ring or two off of the rear spring.

This post has been edited by Piller: 03 February 2008 - 04:21 PM

Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#5 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:40 PM

I rarely chop balls with my MR1. Its easy to take care of.The only thing you should get is a better barrel then the stock one

#6 User is offline   CHICKINDUDE 

• CAP'N CHICKIN
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:CHICKINDUDE

Posted 03 February 2008 - 06:02 PM

well only if you can aford a mr1 and not mutch more buy it... Just dont buy a 90 dollar walmart gun. Infact buy a Tippmann 98 they been around for like 10 years. and with the new A.C.T. it wont chop yer balls (literaly) plus It wont hold you back like a mr1. The Tippmann 98 will continue to grow with you (You can mod it like crazy) It's easy to clean (If you nead to I never clean mine just squirt some oil in the gun and yer good 2 go!) There isnt a gun in the world more rugged than a Tippmann 98. If you want something easyer to handle it's best to buy an Tippmann A5. Ive had one for like 5ish years.
Now it's a fully customised paint slinging beast. I love Tippmann's they might not shoot 900 BPS but I love the reliabilaty of a Tippmann It wont let you down in the feild.
Ghost Gunner! (The counter sniper.)

#7 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:13 PM

Spyders are pretty rugged too, and if you look, you can find most of the upgrades that tippmans have. Bolts, barrels, body kits, magazines etc.

#8 Guest_TippySnipa_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:07 PM

View Post-SMITTY-, on Feb 4 2008, 05:13 PM, said:

Spyders are pretty rugged too, and if you look, you can find most of the upgrades that tippmans have. Bolts, barrels, body kits, magazines etc.

Air-Thru Dogleg stocks? I think not!

lolz ;)

#9 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:42 AM

View PostTippySnipa, on Feb 7 2008, 07:07 PM, said:

View Post-SMITTY-, on Feb 4 2008, 05:13 PM, said:

Air-Thru Dogleg stocks? I think not!

lolz :)

Actually, a Stock is not needed for an MR1, Im able to hold and aim my MR1 with one hand like a Pistol but then again...my MR1 is slightly modded.

#10 User is offline   Traakon 

• I came I saw, I ...wait...what was the question?
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Traakon

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:23 AM

The MR-1 is a solid semi-auto rec marker. It is rugged, durable, easy to maintain and a good choice for any player wanting a base level semi-auto.

As to it "shooting hot", no more so than any other marker that requires proper velocity adjustment, which would be all markers. The stock springs are stiff and if you want the best means of meeting all field requirements, you will want to buy a Piranha spring kit. Getting them to chrono down to 220fps and lower is a snap with the right spring.

I have been working on the rentals Tempe Paintball for nearly a year now and other than the feed neck, they have withstood daily rental use with only one marker meeting a full demise when a player tried to slide, forgot if it was feet or head first and smacked a building catching the marker between his body the building and a bunker like a gate arm. His 230+ lb body broke the body where the barrel threads in, bent the barrel and snapped the stock off. Picture a runner breaking the finish line tape but the tape was the marker.

Mods for the MR-1 are few and far between, but if you have 100 bucks to spend on a marker, can't go wrong.

#11 User is offline   DFRESH 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:39 AM

Ok, the Mr1 is an interesting marker. It is Spyders first jump into the mil-sim style markers. Ok, here is my breakdown:

GOOD:
1. Doesn't Chop paint
2. Relatively Cheap
3. Mil-Sim Looks
4. Accessories(although limited)
5. Does not shoot hot, I took a stock one to Global Conquest, and it shot 289 FPS, which was the field spped
6. Now available in semi and e-grip

BAD:
1. Need a barrel upgrape
2. Its not very accurate after a certain yardage(and I'm not talking some astronomical number)
3. Lack of personilization (I know I said it had accessories, but they aren't a lot to make it your own)
4. I have heard about some mechanical issues with it too.

I have personally owned an MR1, and it is still my back-up marker. I personally thought it was a great marker to start my scenario career with because of its looks, price, and by spyder. However, I have learned that there are much better guns out there if you are willing to spend a little more money. Depending on what you are planning to do as a player, then there numerous options of markers that could fit your play. I would reccommend going with a Tippmann eventhough I love Spyder. But I have realized that Tippmann is way ahead of Spyder in the woodsball field, but Spyder is trying to catch up with the MR series. No matter what marker you choose, the marker should tell something about your style of play and yourself
The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war that we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living. -Omar Bradley

#12 User is offline   T-RAN 

• Brrr its cold in here, must be a T-RAN in the atmosphere
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-RAN

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:04 PM

My experience with my MR1 wasn't all that great, it shoot decently but not the greatest, and I have had quite a few ball chops, so I just sold it and got and A-5, but that was just my experience with it.

T-RAN
CCI Phantom Owner
Tippmann (A-5) Owner #8
Spyder MR owner #27
If we can't do it, it doesn't need to be done! - {Sabre Motto}
Christian Paintballer

#13 User is offline   SPECIAL ďPS 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:56 PM

my friend has a mr1 if its your first gun its a good buy (tippmanns are good too). the only problem is the rail is too small to put anything on it.

#14 User is offline   headhunter2 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:headhunter2

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

An MR1 is a good choice if you wanna run light and want a mech spyder. It is a simple stacked tube blowback marker that is very reliable and easy to work on. A MR1 can be adjusted to below field FPS regulations I am not sure what the first person to post was talking about but they were wrong. They must have gotten one that had a strong spring in it. If you happen to run into this problem just leave the marker cocked for about a day and that should weaken the spring enough to get the velocity down.

One thing that you must understand is that all marker will chop a ball unless they have eyes and then they can still break paint in the barrel. If you choose to get an MR1 I recommend that you get a revolution hopper and an upgraded barrel or a barrel kit. Also they now sell and E-MR1 but of you want to go that route then save up and get the MR2 or the MR3 which are much better than the MR1.

Another good spyder that is around the same price as the MR1 is the Pilot ACS (anti chopping system). The Pilot ACS will fire 20bps in semi unregulated and will not chop a ball if you have a slow loader. I have owned both the MR1 and the Pilot ACS and can recommend them both but they are very different in there style of play and purpose.
Invisible text club member #15 Every time you wipe paint God makes a new PETA member Adminion #12 My Feedback
If you play your own game of paintball using Spec ops as guidelines and not as "law of position", put this in your sig.

#15 User is offline   Ekima 

• :Grin: I like it when you run!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:EKIMA

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:02 PM

I loved My MR1 never had any problems withit and shot great.

Ekima

shoot, realized how long ago i'ts been since someone's posted on this.

This post has been edited by Ekima: 30 March 2008 - 01:03 PM

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users