Special Ops Paintball: Advantages and Disadvantages of barrels - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Advantages and Disadvantages of barrels Things you haven't thought about before Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   itsalive2 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:snipait

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:08 AM

Now I know that pretty much anything past a 14 or 16 inch barrel doesnt do much for accuracy and decreases efficiency a little, but nobody talks about the pros of a longer barrel. I want to get a better after market barrel and from everything Ive seen, a J&J is the way to go. So 14 inchers have the same accuracy as a 20, but they are a little louder. 20s look sweet but use a little more gas for the same velocity. And 20s also give you the ability to poke the barrel through a bush while you are nice and comfy behind it. So write your experiences here, as well as pros and cons of any barrel you have used.

#2 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:35 AM

i always thought longer barrels were quieter when they shot..

and any sniper (military or paintball) will tell you to shoot from a concealed space without exposing any parts of your or your gear. so longer barrels may not be such a good choice if your shooting from a bush.. cause that long barrel sticking out will give you away if the sound and direction of the shot dont.
Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#3 User is offline   itsalive2 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:snipait

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:31 PM

But if your options are shoot from behind the bush hoping the ball will go through or poke the barrel out a little, which would you take

#4 User is offline   trustme 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tippywoodsballin

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:36 PM

I would pick move to the side of the bush and shoot through an open gap
setups=BT TM-7, Double Trigger, Lapco 12" apex ready, Apex barrel, Rotor
Infinity legend, 68/45, cp reg, new designz asa

#5 User is offline   Shenkyei Rambo 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Shenkyei Rambo

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:54 PM

Ported barrels - SP All-American, SP Freak kit fronts, etc.
Advantages:
Generally quieter, accurate, may look interesting, efficient, various lengths.

Disadvantages:
Becomes ridiculous past 14"(less efficient), adds weight, nothing added to performance, various lengths and bores(the bores part is moreso from the barrel kits)

Un-Ported barrels - Almost any OpsGear barrel, SP Rain barrel(old barrel I believe...), etc.
Advantages:
Less air required to push 'balls out the tip, various lengths and bores

Disadvantages:
Louder(This one is iffy, it depends on the person but to me it's an advantage :P) due to no porting, weigh a bit more, less customizable

These are just a few things I thought of and I can update them if people want.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(").. COPY BUNNY INTO SIG AND HELP HIM ACHIEVE WORLD DOMINATION!!!

#6 User is offline   LoneScout 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Lonescout

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:44 PM

I combined 2 barrel systems into one to use on my Ion Longbow setup as kind of an experiment. I used a freak insert kit and combined it with a 16 inch Tippmann straightline barrel, and to reduce sound, I purchased a screw on reverse ported M-50 barrel tip from Hammerhead paintball. This barrel setup that I still use is extremely accurate when combined with a red dot sight, and if someone is in front, you can barely hear it shoot.

I don't know if anyone else has done something like this, but I found that it is incredible with the right kind of paint. I am not sure about the air usage, but I can use a 13 CU 3000 psi tank and get about 100 shots or more out of it before going to the fill station.

#7 User is offline   Sniper Cowboy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Christian Cowboy

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:25 AM

I currently play with a smart parts linear 16" barrel, and I love how accurate it is for the price I paid ($60 in Canada). However, I have had on more than one occasion wished for a 14" barrel simply because the extra 2" get in the way. So, add 4" more to that length that is already too long so you can shoot through bushes? Maybe for you, but not for me.
"Go get my flamethrower." Doc of the Whiteboard Webcomic

#8 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kaosukoden

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:47 AM

I've tried a few different barrles. My last one was a Custom Products Tactical barrel. It gave me the ability to add on a rifle shroud (all cosmetic) to it, as well as a varity of tips. I got the 18" and had a moc silencer on the end. It was very well ported and once I added the rifle shroud over top of it, it was relativly quiet. I used CO2 on my Tippmann 98c, and I could play all day on one 9oz (100-200 shots) It got a little cumbersome on the fast moving games, but the way I played was prone and my bipod out most of the time. It was fairly accurate, using a red dot, i could hit, within 100', inside of my reddot every time. But, let's face it, it's paintball, so it's not perfect.

#9 User is offline   Supergyro 

• Ain't He Great, Folks?
  • PipPip

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:12 AM

I've got a 15in Planet Eclipse Shaft barrel on my Etek 2, and I had a 14in Freak on my SP Epiphany. The Shaft is quiet and it's like butter rolling out the barrel but I don't have a small bore back for it so it wasn't as accurate as my Freak. I also have a 12in CP barrel that has a .685 back and that thing shoots tight. Overall the paint to bore match is the most important thing. All my barrels are under 16in and my 12in shoots the most accurate with small paint and my 15in shots the most accurate with larger bore paint.

Porting does help with efficiency especially with a longer than 12in barrel because otherwise the ball will start to make a bit of a vacuum behind it and will have to break the vacuum at the tip of the barrel, decreasing accuracy. If you have porting, the ball will start to create a vacuum and then will pass the porting and the vacuum behind it will be released, allowing the ball to travel the rest of the bore without any vacuum and be able to exit smoothly.
You don't have to have a ported barrel if you don't want to, just don't write it off as only having to do with sound or looks.

There are a Lot of good barrels and barrel companies out there. Here is just a few: The GOG Freak, The Deadlywind (Carbon Fiber :tup: , takes freak inserts) The Eigenbarrel (Super tight bore) Dye Ultralight, CP, The TechT Ifit (Threads on to the back of your barrel and adds a control bore, useful for pumps) J&J, and there are many, many more, but I won't put them all here.
Posted Image
"Of course you know, this means war."-Bugs Bunny
"My friend got killed by a throwing star but I live because of DEagle."-Thalion

"The visible spectrum is...RAINBOWS"-Pirate

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users