Special Ops Paintball: Time to start playing at night!!!! - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Time to start playing at night!!!! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   mrfranswa 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:57 PM

Hey guys, was reading a popular science. It looks like this fall we will start becoming sam fischer for some night paintball:

http://www.gearlog.com/2008/06/night_visio...ur_kids_com.php

It's basically an 80$ pair of night vision goggles. They are nowhere near as good as a real pair, and you will give away your position with the lights, (there's talk about putting a uv filter on it to reduce the light), but I hafeta say these are hella-cool. Looks like I know what I want for Christmas :)

#2 User is offline   CdnNinja 

• The enemy cannot push a button, if you disable his hand.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:15 PM

Those are pretty sweet. But how would you go about whereing them with you normal goggles. Unless the idea is to just wear those whcih I can see going badly. But those are really awesome.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   SuperROBOChris 

• I hate wiperskanks
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SuperROBOChrist

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:22 PM

View PostxX_jXx, on Jul 29 2008, 10:15 PM, said:

Those are pretty sweet. But how would you go about whereing them with you normal goggles. Unless the idea is to just wear those whcih I can see going badly. But those are really awesome.

Just build some new goggles. Piece of cake. PVC pipe, duct tape, and super glue.

Sick night vision by the way. I would totally get some if I were rich. B)
What comes after Asphyxyseven? ASPHYXIATE!
92% of teens would drop dead if Abercrombie and Fitch said breathing wasn't cool. If your one of the 8% who would be laughing their butt off, put this in your sig.

#4 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:25 PM

As soon as someone mods this to fit over a mask, SO should sell it. B) I'd buy it if I ever played night games. The two times I have they were pretty intense. I should do it more often.
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

#5 User is offline   CamoDeafie 

• LVL 0 Human class flanker-
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:34 PM

i'll wait until someone develops a model that fits right between your eyes and the lens of the goggles..or is integrated into the lenses of the paintball goggles...to which i can see a HUGE advantage, especially if its swap-able with the current models of paintball masks, AND meets the ASTM AND meets the ergonomics/human requirements of the goggle user, such as a way to keep temps equal or less than ambient, no fogging, switch for 2 modes, or 3 (THermal, dual mode such as light=hot or dark=hot, or image intesifier/starlight, and daylight mode)
Team Black Sheep, Oregon Division
ex-gunwhore
"All at is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."-N.S.K./Laibach
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable " - /-wear me!?

#6 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:59 AM

What the...that thing reminds me of the Mechas in several Japanese Anime.

#7 User is offline   mrfranswa 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:03 AM

Yeah, I was thinking about simply editing a JT mask or something equally comfortable so it fits in-between. I had done something similar when I used a helmet back in the day. With simply popping out the goggles, it should make enough room for the NV to fit in-between pretty snugly imo. If there were any problems, I would prob just sew it together or use some plastic polymer, (heck, it may be uncomfortable, but bondo may work to patch some of the small gaps).

Really, the only places you really need solid protection is the front of your face from your brow to your mouth, and your sides from your ear lobes to your temples. From what I see from the masks, it seems like it may work :D I guess it all depends on how much you are willing to put your health on the line.

#8 User is offline   SuperROBOChris 

• I hate wiperskanks
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SuperROBOChrist

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:58 AM

View PostCamoDeafie, on Jul 30 2008, 12:34 AM, said:

i'll wait until someone develops a model that fits right between your eyes and the lens of the goggles..or is integrated into the lenses of the paintball goggles...to which i can see a HUGE advantage, especially if its swap-able with the current models of paintball masks, AND meets the ASTM AND meets the ergonomics/human requirements of the goggle user, such as a way to keep temps equal or less than ambient, no fogging, switch for 2 modes, or 3 (THermal, dual mode such as light=hot or dark=hot, or image intesifier/starlight, and daylight mode)

Uhh...These are $80.

I'm sure you can buy some of what you're talking about from the government for a couple thousand.
What comes after Asphyxyseven? ASPHYXIATE!
92% of teens would drop dead if Abercrombie and Fitch said breathing wasn't cool. If your one of the 8% who would be laughing their butt off, put this in your sig.

#9 User is offline   C9H13NO3 

• Miramar Mafia
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:C9H13NO3

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:03 AM

Gen 3 night vision...simple night vision, not thermal, no modes, no frills, cost around $13,000 and are nowhere near small enough to use with a pb mask. You could mount them to a helmet and use them with a mask though.

For those who plan on using this kind of thing with no lenses in their mask...that's unsafe, and warrants thread closure, so be careful what you say. I think the best option for nightvision in paintball is marker mounted nightvision.

#10 User is offline   raptorbite 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:raptorbite

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:18 AM

it doesnt look to hard to mod for a mask
as long as it doesnt have to be right at your eyes to work,and if it does you can chop of one lense and only use one.Im guessing the top one is the IR illuminater,and the bottom are the parts that detect the light and the lenses so you would have to keep the IR illuminater.
I miss the old days of sword beach and such

#11 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:27 AM

It doesn't look like it would be that difficult to mod the straps to fit over a mask. The major problem as I see it is the quality of the product. It's $80.00, designed to be used by kids for "hide and seek". While they may be designed to withstand being dropped I doubt they'd hold up to repeated paintball hits, reduced FPS or not.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#12 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:46 PM

dont waste the cash. its an 80 dollar kids toy, not real nightvision nor paintball made. you can get a nightvision monocle for a couple hundred bucks. if that sounds too expensive, then dont play paintball 2-3 times, and boom... there's the cash for it. (assuming you play at a field (25+ entry and air fees), 40+ a case, gas to get there, snacks, drinks, gas to get home). bada bing.

personally i prefer not to play night games because of the rampant cheating even by "upstanding" players. so i bring a 15,000,000 candlepower spotlight and a double trouble at night. i dont sneak, i seek. its hard to cheat when your retinas are burning, and the entire field can see you like a spotlight. therefore, i say stick with flashlights. (my ubercannon of light was only 40 bucks at northern tool supply, came with a strap, ac charger, and car charger, and battery)
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#13 User is offline   Steel Tiger 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Steel Tiger

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:06 PM

The quality does seem questionable.
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:22 PM

In all Honesty about playing Night Games, using Night Vision isnt all that, using your Ears and having an understanding of the surroundings is more useful, because even with Night Vision, there are Shadows that are hard to determine whether or not that there is someone actually there, unless Thermal Night Vision is involved, which is beyond the cost on what most can really afford in paintball.

I love Night Games and Ive never used Night Vision and Im still able to Take On and Take Out out the OpFor on Mass on an Urban Field, because I use my Ears most of the time while in play and that the I only time I use my eyes is to walk on & off the Field.

In other words...think like a Ninja.

#15 User is offline   raptorbite 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:raptorbite

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:53 PM

Or you can think like a pirate,and swab the poop deck then go to sleep then be reenergized for the next day and play twice as hard as the night lubbers!
Then ye can pludaarrr and steal tharr booty!yahargh!
I miss the old days of sword beach and such

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users