• You cannot reply to this topic

the truth about tippmanns hear me out Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:ASLANPRIME

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:22 AM

The great thing about Tippmanns is they can be upgraded to be competitive with almost any other marker on the field. 98cs and A-5s wih electronic and response triggers are a force to be reckoned with on most woodsball fields. Durability, ease of maintenance, upgradability, and milsim feel have made them very popular. And since the quality of Spyder has gone by the wayside, I'd recommend Tippmann to any new player just starting out.

Now, are they equal to high end guns out of the box, absolutely not. Out of the box, they are rental guns. But IMO, part of the fun of Tippmanns or other lower end gun is the ability to customize and personalize. I think some people go a bit overboard trying to make it "look" cool with all the milsim parts that do nothing for performance...but to each their own.
Proto Matrix PM5, Toxic trigger, Shocktech clamping feedneck, Virtue Board, CP On/Off, Dye Dm4 Sticky Grips, 12" Long Shot barrel
Automaggot #26 MY WEBPAGE MY FEEDBACK GUNS FOR SALE MY BRIGADE PAGE CHEAPEST PAINTBALLS ONLINE

#32 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:43 AM

I like old guns...my coach is making me buy a speedball gun, which is of course understandbale as I will e playing tourneys with the teams...but I hate electronic guns...so I've been procrastinating. The Tippman sl-68II was my first paintball marker, it had already seen several years as a rental gun before my brother got it for me for christmas...after a long time I upgraded to a Tippmann 98 custom..one of the old ones, also having been used for several years. I still have both Tippmans, both are still stock, I love em, and I hardly ever have something go wrong asides from a blown o-ring or maybe a blown detent..But other than that there aren't all that many problems that I've had, but truth be told the Tippman is only good for so long. Sure you could upgrade it to no end, but there performace only goes so high, and then you must upgrade to something better.
"I could be your third wheel."
"You know that's not a good thing right?"
"Of course it is, it adds more grip, greater stability"

"Gives it color he says, it'll look good he says...Filthy liar" (in regards to Puzuma)

#33 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:10 AM

Response in bold...

View Postaslanprime, on Jun 23 2010, 09:22 AM, said:

The great thing about Tippmanns is they can be upgraded to be competitive with almost any other marker on the field.

Hardly. They can be tinkered with to do some things better than they do from the factory, yes, but you're fooling yourself if you think you can upgrade a Tippmann to make it "competitive" with any of the mid range or even some of the lower end electro-pneumatics. In every technical aspect, the electro will win, regardless of what you toss in the A5 with the only exception of ROF for an egripped A5 and a stock SP1/Vibe, which the A5 could in theory hit 15 BPS while the SP1/Vibe from the factory is capped at 11.

98cs and A-5s wih electronic and response triggers are a force to be reckoned with on most woodsball fields. So is the guy who's been playing twenty years with the PGP in the corner. "Force to be reckoned with" has a lot more to do with the players behind the gear than the gear itself. Durability, ease of maintenance, upgradability, and milsim feel have made them very popular. And since the quality of Spyder has gone by the wayside, I'd recommend Tippmann to any new player just starting out.

And Tippmann quality has also gone by the wayside. Take any of the newer Tippmanns and you will find they have a myriad of breakdowns and problems in comparison to the old ones. I have had experience with "older" Tippmanns and "newer" Tippmanns - the old wins out any day. And I'll take a BT-4 over a modern day 98, A5, or X7 any time, as the BT is cheaper, has improved features over the 98, offers the same true performance (same valve/bolt design), and doesn't suffer from the Tippmann quality issues of late.

In short, Tippmann is living off its past reputation for "durability and reliability." Neither apply nearly as much today as they used to. I won't argue for or against milsim feel, as that is something of a personal preference and not a technical advantage/benefit nor a flaw.

Now, are they equal to high end guns out of the box, absolutely not. Out of the box, they are rental guns. But IMO, part of the fun of Tippmanns or other lower end gun is the ability to customize and personalize. I think some people go a bit overboard trying to make it "look" cool with all the milsim parts that do nothing for performance...but to each their own.

There's a lot of other markers you can make "unique," and I'd honestly give a lot more respect to someone who has something hand done and truly unique than someone who bought a bunch of pre-assembled bolt-on parts and tossed them together and called it "personalized." But that's just me.

To be clear - there isn't anything necessarily wrong with Tippmanns or BTs. Paintball is a game where everyone can choose what they value the most and what setup best embodies that balance of attributes and values.

All I'm saying is that, from the purely technical perspective, Tippmanns simply cannot compete directly with even midrange guns. This is only concerning the blowbacks; it does not include the Phenom. I cannot give the Phenom a fair evaluation on any attribute, since I have neither used one nor played with anyone who has one.

If you love Tippmanns, great, use them and have fun. That's what paintball is about. I have some things in my collection that simply cannot be "justified" by technological merit over others in my collection. They're just that fun to use.

This post has been edited by Thalion: 23 June 2010 - 09:29 AM

Member of Team Akkadian

#34 User is offline   F-3 

• Alive in the SUPERΠИKИOMИ
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

View PostThalion, on Jun 22 2010, 09:29 AM, said:

Tippmanns aren't as much "bang for the buck" as they used to be.

If you're looking for the same basic design, BT has the BT-4 out. It's basically a 98 custom with multiple improvements, and all for less than the cost of a 98c.

The US Army guns, if you want them exactly as they ship, aren't that bad I suppose.

Though I'd direct a new player to the BT-4 or save some extra up for one of the lower tier electro-pneumatic markers (used to recommend the Vibe and SP1, but holding on that until I see someone really picking up the parts/support for them).

++

The BT-4 is what the 98 should be. There's no reason anyone should put up with that clamshell business.

Here's what I think happened... Just prior to the 98, Tippmann used to make markers with proper upper and lower receivers - The Pro-Am, 68 Carbine, Pro-Lite, Factory F/A, and Pro-Carbine. Then the 98 was introduced to reduce manufacturing costs. With the 98's clamshell design, fewer large parts have to be manufactured and receivers no longer have to be milled. Instead, the marker's two halves can be cast from pot aluminum. It doesn't get any cheaper than that. Even the latest version of the 98 Custom, the "Platinum" can't be bothered to stray from this design.

The BT-4 essentially fixes both of the 98's shortcomings: It uses milling instead of casting, and it uses upper and lower receivers. Also the feedneck and foregrip are not stupid.

The A5 obviously doesn't have these issues but the MP5 look and the Cyclone are take it or leave it.

This post has been edited by F-3: 23 June 2010 - 09:27 AM

#35 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ASLANPRIME

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

View PostThalion, on Jun 23 2010, 11:10 AM, said:

To be clear - there isn't anything necessarily wrong with Tippmanns or BTs. Paintball is a game where everyone can choose what they value the most and what setup best embodies that balance of attributes and values.

All I'm saying is that, from the purely technical perspective, Tippmanns simply cannot compete directly with even midrange guns. This is only concerning the blowbacks; it does not include the Phenom. I cannot give the Phenom a fair evaluation on any attribute, since I have neither used one nor played with anyone who has one.

If you love Tippmanns, great, use them and have fun. That's what paintball is about. I have some things in my collection that simply cannot be "justified" by technological merit over others in my collection. They're just that fun to use.

I'm not the biggest fan of Tippmanns...so I guess I'm not gonna battle any of those points that much. But you do have to take into consideration cost when you start throwing one marker up against another. For a long time, you simply couldn't do much better "dollar for dollar" than a 98c. Now, if you have an unlimited budget...like I said...a Tippmann is a very good "entry level" marker and you can do some things with e and response triggers to make them "competitive". But no...I agree that you can't turn them into Angels or DM7s...not for what you'd pay for an upgraded Tippmann.

As far as whether the marker makes the player or the player makes the marker...that's a whole different thread. I've heard so many "fisherman's stories" on forums of guys that eliminated entire teams with their Tiger Shark because they are just THAT good. Ironically, when you play with those same supermen at the field they are using ramping despite being "so dang good" with a pump. In the last 3 years of playing, I've only seen one guy use a pump on a field...and that was me...because I was low on paint and ran out of air for my Mag so I used CO2 with my Trracer.
Proto Matrix PM5, Toxic trigger, Shocktech clamping feedneck, Virtue Board, CP On/Off, Dye Dm4 Sticky Grips, 12" Long Shot barrel
Automaggot #26 MY WEBPAGE MY FEEDBACK GUNS FOR SALE MY BRIGADE PAGE CHEAPEST PAINTBALLS ONLINE

#36 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

Figuring cost as well? I'd recommend the BT-4 over the Tippmanns any day. Same basic performance for lower cost and better quality parts.

And you can always egrip a BT-4 if that suits your taste.

On the "player versus marker" bit, honestly, I think it's a bit of both and both camps put way too much value on "the player" or "the marker." I just through it out there as more of a point to say "use whatever makes you happy," not "the best guy will win regardless of any equipment you give him and the opposition."
Member of Team Akkadian

#37 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:00 AM

Differnt strokes for different folks...simple as that...what works for me might not work for you, what works for you might not work for me. Just use what makes you happy. And as long as it's safe, we all can have a great time. Don't matter if you use a tippy, a spyder, a DM10, or a nightmare...we all can have fun still. PB is PB

I sank hundreds into my A5 and got very little boost in anything other then weight on it. I spend the same hundreds to get a stock class pump and i don't have to upgrade or modify a thing. I just do that now, buy a pimped out marker to begin with so i need to modify nothing. Only thing i add to my pumps when i buy em is a ghost ring. Makes it easy for me. Now most people would look at me like i have 4 heads when i tell them how much i regularly spend on my pump markers...but hey...like i said, to each their own, different strokes for different folks. You can happily blow a G on A5 ups as long as i can happily blow the same amount on my marker. :D

Loved my A5, but it hated me, so away it went after years of frustration with it and it breaking daily. I LOVED the Factory F/A, but didn't have time for her...she is in a better home now. I loved my SL68 II, but would never use one again...moved past them now. Great starter pump but very heavy and clunky. Fun overall though, loved the slipfit barrel and opening to squeegee out of.

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#38 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:36 AM

i dont know much about BT customer service, but i can pretty much call tippmann, say i lost this, or this is not functioning anymore, and they send me a new replacement part for free.. how ever, it takes longer to get stuff from tippmann then spec ops. (and tippmann is a good 5-6 hours away from me)

either way its a free part and im not gonna complain a whole bunch how long it takes to get a replacement part, but if im in a real bad spot and need a part NOW i can always go over to tippmannparts.com and get pretty much anything for any of my markers.. takes no more then 3 days to get a part from them..

although im gonna slowly work up a stock pile of parts.. gonna spend around $150 for the good parts kit for my a5, 98, and tpx. now is it worth it? well in the long run yea.. i could probably go another 5 years or so without having to call tippmann over a simple nut or screw.. pretty much all my friends i ball with have tippmanns, so i can capitalize on that when they lose a part..

I will do a few things to up my markers, mostly tech t stuff though. (zero kick hammer, and the spring kit for the tpx) mainly just to try them out and possibly put my thoughts about them on youtube..

now when i buy a pump, i kind of cant disregard the fact that i can get an Azodin pump marker waaaay cheaper then the SL68 II but then there is the CCM T2, but i dont think i wana break the bank just yet.
Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#39 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:45 AM

for an A5 upgrade that cyclone. That thing failed on me everyday of play, the ratchet. Can't tell you how many times i had to call it quits early over a $1.50 part. I ended up buying 10 at a time, and blowing through them all in 10 days of play or less. Well worth it to stockpile up on easily broken parts, or just splurge and get the metal ratchet upgrade. Wish they had those when i had my A5...damn cyclone piece of crap...only got a full day of play out of it a handful of times, and i used to play once to twice a week...so that was just no good
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users