• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Computer Help Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:09 PM

So, the other day the family I live with, their computer sounded like it was running kind of loud...they generally keep it on for several days at a time, and since we were all headed to bed, I shut it down to let it cool off and rest for a few hours. We came back down in the morning and when trying to start it up we got the error file "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file. "...

Now I know that I'm suppose to start up using the disk and enter repair mode, problem is...I don't have a copy of the disk foro the Compaq computer, my question is...can I use the windows install disk that is made for Dell...I feel like since it's Windows it should be the same thing no matter what computer...but I don't want to try to mess with it if it could screw it up. So, can I use the dell disk or not?
"I could be your third wheel."
"You know that's not a good thing right?"
"Of course it is, it adds more grip, greater stability"

"Gives it color he says, it'll look good he says...Filthy liar" (in regards to Puzuma)

#2 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Private Silver

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

uhm. Maybe. I just had to do a restore on my laptop, and I asked the guy a similar question. He said most "factory" restore discs are keyed to the computer types themselves (e.g, my laptop is an HP, he said the cd's wouldn't work if I tried them on my insignia tower).

But, if it's an older restore cd, it might work. At this point, it won't hurt to try if the computer wont start now anyway.
Posted Image
SO Feedback +2/ E-bay feedback +14

#3 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:56 PM

If it was my computer I would just try it...but it's not mine so if I screw it up I pay for it. It's probably a 3-4 year old disk at least.

"Gives it color he says, it'll look good he says...Filthy liar" (in regards to Puzuma)

#4 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

By the sound of it, short of physically breaking a disc drive or something, doesn't seem like you could screw it up too much more....Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Lt.Col.Vortex 

• Death itself
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

First off, CLEAN IT!!!! A careful blowing with less than 15 psi is preferred. Kinda sounds like you had a crash..specifically a heat crash. Heat crashes can cause all kinda of crap to go wrong. But if it says to reinstall, then reinstall. I would highly not recommend cross installing things. You can download and burn your copy, or spend excess of $200 and buy new copies.

#6 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:42 PM

if you contact compaq, you may even be able to get free ones. Just say something along the lines as you had the recovery disc but just found out it had a large crack in it or something (even if you tell them you can't find it they might give you one too). Case in point, HP sent me brand new recovery discs at no cost when they replaced my hard drive as opposed to making me use the ones that came with my laptop.
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:47 AM

No. You cannot use a Dell boot disc. Different drivers and codes. Try starting it in safe mode.

#8 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:13 AM

I tried starting it in safe mode...no go and thanks Slinky.

#9 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:54 AM

Google Hal.dll and you find a few solutions, including the option to download a copy

First check there is not an issue affecting the boot process, remove any floppy disks, CDs, DVDs USB memory devices (or anything that may be mistaken as one such as an MP3),

Reboot, if it still does not work then go to the BIOS during startup and check the status of drives / partitions and boot order options

Once you've established it's not the boot process you can download and copy the DLL file. But to do so you either have to remove the HD and mount it as a second drive in another PC or use a bootable USB / CD / DVD floppy that will either give you a DOS mode or a runtime Windows / Linux etc. Then copy your downloaded DLL

Failing all of that a windows install CD as opposed to a rebuild CD can be used to run a repair installation

A rebuild CD may be possible but this risks wiping everything on the PC. You need to know what options are available for that build

#10 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

Google Hal.dll and you find a few solutions, including the option to download a copy

First check there is not an issue affecting the boot process, remove any floppy disks, CDs, DVDs USB memory devices (or anything that may be mistaken as one such as an MP3),

Reboot, if it still does not work then go to the BIOS during startup and check the status of drives / partitions and boot order options

Once you've established it's not the boot process you can download and copy the DLL file. But to do so you either have to remove the HD and mount it as a second drive in another PC or use a bootable USB / CD / DVD floppy that will either give you a DOS mode or a runtime Windows / Linux etc. Then copy your downloaded DLL

Failing all of that a windows install CD as opposed to a rebuild CD can be used to run a repair installation

A rebuild CD may be possible but this risks wiping everything on the PC. You need to know what options are available for that build

#11 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:06 PM

The only problem with a straight install CD as opposed to a restore is that it might not delete the previous OS, which could running issues as it would try to dual boot both of them.

When exactly is it giving the error exactly? Before the whole windows flag loading thing, or during/after that? If it's after, it may very well just be the boot file which can be replaced/fixed. If it happens right when you turn it on before it let's you do anything else a restore might be the only way.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

We got a friend to download the disk for this computer and it's working again...so it's all good..thanks for the help guys.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users