Special Ops Paintball: Pod Rocket - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Pod Rocket

Poll: Pod Rocket (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Should SO or someone manufacture my idea?

1. Yes (9 votes [39.13%])

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

2. No (3 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

3. Improve it first (11 votes [47.83%])

Percentage of vote: 47.83%

Vote

#1 User is offline   foxtrotdelta 

• Team Auxiliary
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:foxtrotdelta

Post icon  Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:20 PM

I buddy and I were examining the team rocket launcher and seeing if we could make any improvements to it when we came up with this idea. I think it would be great for scenario players. It's basically a nerf rocket launcher small enough to fit in a pod pack. It would either be powered by 12g Co2 or 3.5oz tank. See the image for a better idea. I'm sure someone with a more mechanically inclined mind could come up with a better firing mechanism then a ball valve, but I needed something I could build at home depot.

I plan on testing it out this weekend to see if it has any accuracy or range with such a small barrel. I'll let you guys know how this goes.

Well... good idea? or bad idea?

Ways to improve?!?

Almost forgot, here's the image. (yes, I know the picture is missing a couple things that'll have to go into the final design. It's just there for you to get a better idea.)

Posted Image

-EDIT- Added the poll.

This post has been edited by foxtrotdelta: 01 November 2007 - 09:18 PM

Proudly sponsored by Soft Ear Mods; member of Team Auxiliary

#2 User is offline   Orpackrat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Orpackrat

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:55 PM

With how short that barrel is, I bet you could throw the rocket further. You would need at least 6" of barrel in front of the rocket to get a decent range and a large volume of high pressure to get it up to speed.

#3 User is offline   thebostinian 

• SOFA Favorite Member Title 2009
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thebostinian

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:20 PM

cool idea, but i don't know if it'd be implementable at that size. you'd be better off with a short (2 feet) rocket launcher you could strap to your back.

"Yeah, but a thread that started out as borderline weird and creepy to begin with has now taken a left turn into 'Deliverance." - Violator
Don't try to pronounce the second "o". Instead, try realize the truth: there is no second "o"

#4 User is offline   Orpackrat 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:36 PM

I think I found a way to make it effective, I'll build one and test it to see if works and then post back.

#5 User is offline   thebostinian 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:49 PM

before you go building it, lets see what you've come up with, just in case you accidentally built a bomb.

"Yeah, but a thread that started out as borderline weird and creepy to begin with has now taken a left turn into 'Deliverance." - Violator
Don't try to pronounce the second "o". Instead, try realize the truth: there is no second "o"

#6 User is offline   Orpackrat 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:04 AM

View Postthebostinian, on Nov 1 2007, 11:49 PM, said:

before you go building it, lets see what you've come up with, just in case you accidentally built a bomb.

I don't think I will accidentally build a bomb, since I have designed and built many high pressure launchers. Here's my latest one:

Posted Image

(under the barrel if your wondering)

#7 User is offline   thebostinian 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:28 AM

View PostOrpackrat, on Nov 2 2007, 03:04 AM, said:

View Postthebostinian, on Nov 1 2007, 11:49 PM, said:

I don't think I will accidentally build a bomb, since I have designed and built many high pressure launchers. Here's my latest one:

Posted Image

(under the barrel if your wondering)

yeah i see it. if you've got experience, nvm, you'll be fine. i didn't know if you did or not, and was erring on the safe side.

<EDIT>
and that's a pretty sweet looking launcher. how much weight did that add to the gun?

This post has been edited by thebostinian: 02 November 2007 - 07:29 AM

#8 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:57 AM

Patent Pending? You filed a patent for this?

As far as the design goes, its too short, same rules that apply to paintballs apply to this, you need atleast an 18" barrel like what the MKX uses, that might actually be close to 14".

#9 User is offline   P V 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:52 AM

a telescopic barrel would be really easy to make , you'd be looking at about 1.25ft barrel at the same diameter or 2.5ft barrel at .5"inch larger diameter

i have left these forums do to unequal moderation, please feel free to email/MSN me for all communication

#10 User is offline   Orpackrat 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:21 AM

View Postthebostinian, on Nov 2 2007, 07:28 AM, said:

yeah i see it. if you've got experience, nvm, you'll be fine. i didn't know if you did or not, and was erring on the safe side.

<EDIT>
and that's a pretty sweet looking launcher. how much weight did that add to the gun?

Thanks for the post of concern, I could have been someone who knew nothing of the dangers if the wrong parts were used. Its those little and simple sentences that can really save someone who does not know quite what their doing.

The last time I weighed it, it was about 2.5lbs, shoots a 4-6oz paintball grenade 75+ feet and rockets even further. If I don't like the gun sticking out that far, the barrel has a quick release. Twist and pull to remove for shortened weapon or reloading and push and twist to connect and lock.

<EDIT>
Forgot to add, I built this little launcher to elminate the hassels with existing system. No more setting you gun down, pulling out a bulky and heavy multiple shot launcher, having someone else cover you, etc. Turned into a 1 person operation, you can shoot a grenade or rocket and reload without having to stop shooting. It using a duel valve system for consistancy and safety: chamber only charged when you are ready to shoot, no need to worry about accidentally opening firing valve and emptying the tank on your gun, utilizes the guns air supply to keep the weight down and convienance up. Has an intigrated quick disconnect on the chamber that with a standard screwdriver, the unit can be removed completly in under 30 seconds and reconnected in under a minute. Replaced gun ASA with a duel output regulator for charging low pressure disposable LAW's on the field.

This post has been edited by Orpackrat: 02 November 2007 - 10:42 AM

#11 User is offline   Wash 

• PaintSlinger
  • Pip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:55 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble but this has been done before. Iím looking for the post on another forum will edit once I find it.

Edit:

Well the post won't be found because it was on the now defuncted milsimog forum. The guy that did it was fastlearner if you can locate him...

This post has been edited by Wash: 02 November 2007 - 11:14 AM

Stand Tall -- The Paintfighter.

#12 User is offline   foxtrotdelta 

• Team Auxiliary
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:foxtrotdelta

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:08 PM

I don't think barrel length will be problem, especially if you build an a small expansion chamber to build up the pressure before firing the launcher. (like I said, I left alot of details out of my design). Even if I only get an effective range of about 25 yards thats more than enough for the purpose I intend it for. I don't plan on this replacing full size launchers.

@ Orpackrat: I'd love to hear your idea (PM would be nice). It'd be nice to compare both designs and get better data from the results.

@ Steed: I've started it. If I can successfully build these at a low price (Its looking to be around $25 for me now) I personally think it'll change the way scenarios are played. Plus you should see the crazy patents out there.
Proudly sponsored by Soft Ear Mods; member of Team Auxiliary

#13 User is offline   deltaboy 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Delta-022

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:03 PM

could you pm me the design? I might want something like it for my A-5. Oh, and do you know if it can fire a pod rocket grenade?
Sabre #166

#14 User is offline   grumpy 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:gadgit

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:18 PM

fast learner is also a member of this forum as well as a-5og.
Book of Armaments (Chapter 2, verses 9-21)
...And Saint Attila raised the sprinkler valve up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this Thy sprinkler valve that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou remove thy solenoid and epoxy the pilot hole, then remove the guide rod, then thread your pilot valve directly to the body of thy sprinkler, lest thou increase thy pilot volume by a single iota, then lobbest thou thy nerfs towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall procedeth to the gates of reinsertion."

#15 User is offline   Orpackrat 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:39 PM

View Postdeltaboy, on Nov 2 2007, 02:03 PM, said:

could you pm me the design? I might want something like it for my A-5. Oh, and do you know if it can fire a pod rocket grenade?

Is this directed at me or foxtrotdelta? If its at me, the barrel size is 2".

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users