Special Ops Paintball: Digital Camera Inquiry (Lookings for comments/opinions) - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Digital Camera Inquiry (Lookings for comments/opinions) Just to pick the brains of the photographers here. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:20 PM

Well it's been a while since I had a new camera and my EOS 620 is pretty dated. So far I've been looking at a few decent digital SLR's as a suitable replacement. But right now I'm probably going to go with a Canon Rebel XTi for my primary option. I've already discussed the camera with some friends who own a variety of higher quality Digital cameras and tested out a few of them (Nikon D40, D60 and the Canon EOS 40D in addition to the XTi) And this is just a last ditch inquiry to see if there are any problems/notices/pointers about my camera choice and if it will fit the bill for what I need. Basically an all around camera I can use for family events, vacations, portraits(the basic family incorporated stuff) but also capable to handle photos for snowboarding/motocross/4x4ing/some paintball/fast paced action side of things without making my wallet cry.

So, any comments before I drop $450 on a XTi kit (yes I will get a better lens, eventually) to start me off in the Digital SLR world...

#2 Guest_TM SNPR_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:02 PM

go film.....:dodgy:

but i have heard that the Canon Rebel is a good camera and $450 on a 10mp SLR is pretty good....

#3 User is offline   ClumsyNinja 

• Eschew Obfuscation
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Grimace

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:19 PM

I love Canon. My father in law bought that camera on my advice and he loves it. It's an excellent choice in my opinion.
"Hi, I'm not the local nut, but ClumsyNinja is..."--Styro

CONFESSIONS OF AN ARMCHAIR NINJA..NOWUPDATED!!

#4 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

• one half of the wonder that is legaqua
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:aqua_scummm

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:42 PM

I'm more of a point and shoot guy than DSLR, but I can offer this.

After paintballing in the dusty field, my sister accidentally put my canon point and shoot camera through the laundry, wash.

We dried in the sun for 2 days. The lense was a little foggy (which I then fixed by opening the case and drying more), and the screen is a little screwed up, but the photos it takes are still damn good.

So I like Canon

This post has been edited by aqua_scummm: 20 February 2008 - 11:42 PM

#5 User is offline   Ashrak 

• Precipice
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:26 AM

My Dad uses a D200 and a D100. They work fantastic. Over 10,000 photographs combined and never a single issue.

My Dad uses a D100 and a D200 and they work fantastic. Over 10,000 photos between them and never a single issue.
Alea iacta est ~ The board is set, the pieces are moving.
~ Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green, That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown, That host on the morrow lay withered and strown. ~ Destruction of Sennacherib

~ Believe me, dear Sir: there is not in the American states a man who more cordially loves a union with his country than I do. But, by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the United States Congress proposes; and in this, I think I speak the sentiments of America. ~ Thomas Jefferson (modernized)
Summertime Blues

#6 User is offline   PinDrop 

• Been here since the start...
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PinDrop

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:44 AM

Nikon has good cameras for around 650 if you care to save your cash a little longer? For REAL info on good cameras (www.deviantart.com)
Where is Zuma with that BanHammer?
You have to excuse Pinhead, bro...he has very little friends and he was raised by a herd of Mountain Goats. -EvilFingers

#7 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:25 AM

View PostTM SNPR, on Feb 20 2008, 11:02 PM, said:

go film.....:happy:

but i have heard that the Canon Rebel is a good camera and $450 on a 10mp SLR is pretty good....

I already have a good 35mm SLR, but it's a bit dated since it was a "Birth"day present my dad got from my grandpa to document the up and coming newest member of the family (me). So it's a bit dated (1987) but still works great. Just looking for a Digital to breakinto the market and not worry about losing film canisters and/or (which I did with my EW rolls) Plus I can print out a 8X11 print for $0.01 with my printers.

View PostClumsyNinja, on Feb 21 2008, 01:19 AM, said:

I love Canon. My father in law bought that camera on my advice and he loves it. It's an excellent choice in my opinion.

Yeah, so far it'sthe only one I really like. Controls are intuitive, heft is just right as well as balance, stock kit lens gives very good pics over it's entire range.

View Postaqua_scummm, on Feb 21 2008, 01:42 AM, said:

I'm more of a point and shoot guy than DSLR, but I can offer this.

After paintballing in the dusty field, my sister accidentally put my canon point and shoot camera through the laundry, wash.

We dried in the sun for 2 days. The lense was a little foggy (which I then fixed by opening the case and drying more), and the screen is a little screwed up, but the photos it takes are still damn good.

So I like Canon

Yeah the 620 I got has been through a lot, sliding off of the trunk of cars even falling off the porch roof once and it's held up just fine along with the other Canon cameras, camcorders we own. As for P&S,I never came across one I really liked, other than faster Auto focus and size I really don't see any advantages in my book. Plus I like a little size/weight in my equipment.

#8 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

• one half of the wonder that is legaqua
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:aqua_scummm

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:51 AM

No advantages to a point and shoot? How about you look like a major tool bringing a DSLR into a bar, and can't really self portrait with it?

;)

#9 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:10 AM

View Postaqua_scummm, on Feb 21 2008, 11:51 AM, said:

No advantages to a point and shoot? How about you look like a major tool bringing a DSLR into a bar, and can't really self portrait with it?

;)

No advantages to me, for a new one. I have a Kodak Easy share in my glove box. I don't use it. Besides , number of times I took a self portrait - 1, Number of times I wanted to take a self-portrait - 1, Number of times I've been somewhere wishing I had a camera and didn't - 0.

This post has been edited by Maj Tom: 21 February 2008 - 10:19 AM

#10 User is offline   MaDuce 

• Grab your gun and bring the cat in.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MaDuce

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:14 PM

Try a Cannon Powershot. I have the A570 IS (image stablization) it's a terrific little camera. 7.1 MP and x4 optical zoom. It's easy to use and the picture quality is very good. I got mine at Best Buy for $350. It's a point and shoot camera, but it's among the best I've used.

As far as SLRs, I really like the Nikon D-40, but it's around $600, mabye you can find one used?
"Its very hard to grasp the idea at first but once you accept it, it makes A LOT of sense!" -- Minnesota Sn1p3r on conspiracy theories
"Everyone instantly jumps the conclusion that the government is out to get us." -- SWAT SAINT
"Bad Duce, bad." -- Ace-014
"Good man, Duce, good man." -- Tryon
"Also accepting female snipers." -- Lt.Col.Vortex

#11 User is offline   mtaylor 

• Lacking Creativity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mtaylor

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:53 PM

My dad had a pentax somethingrather DSLR for a while, I hated it, He lost it.

I use my olympus P&S for everything, mainly because i already carry enough crap in my pack when i ski, and i like to be able to pull it out of my pocket and snap. You get good shots that way. Like this one from last weekend:

Posted Image

strangely enough, he landed it :aah:

This post has been edited by mtaylor: 21 February 2008 - 07:54 PM

<Insert Sig Here>

#12 User is offline   Easy PIR 

• CA:GRIDLOCK
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:34 PM

http://dpreview.com

Research, research, research.

LÁMH LÁIDIR AN ÚACHTAR - GREIM A CHOINNEÁIL AR SUÁILCE
||||ÉIRE|||| [ ÉIRINN GO BRÁCH ] ||||ÉIRE||||
EGO SHOOTER

#13 User is offline   Damasta 

• Midnight Raider
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:jon

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:50 PM

I have a Rebel Xti and i LOVE IT
IPB Image
Proudly sponsored by: QLoader | COPS911 | Undertakers Paintball | Paint and Air Sportz | Paintball Alliance
IPB Image

#14 User is offline   poohbear13 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:POOHBEAR13

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:14 PM

If you already have a canon 35 mm you probably have lenses for it so get a nother canon and the lenses should fit. it will save you some money. Yes i know that they wont auto focus but thats for sissies anyway be a man and use manuale everthing once you get it down they will look ten times better than what the camera would get with the auto setting. Thats my two cents

#15 User is offline   Lomarandil 

• SPPL Junkie -- BlackLight Company
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lomarandil

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:28 PM

I'm also picking up a dSLR here.. (hopefully you'll see the results accompanying my articles in RECON :o ).. seems that of commonly availiable cameras (on Ebay and CL, for example.. don't have any camera shops in walking distance) the Nikon D40 and the Rebel XT (not XTi, CNET seemed to prefer the XT) are the best deals for the buck.. although I could be wrong..

But definately check out CL if you're looking to save a bit, I found some great deals.. I just hope the people are quick enough responding.. I'm leaving for a game on Friday, and need a camera...

Lo

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users