Special Ops Paintball: Phantom: What do I want and how can I get it? - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Phantom: What do I want and how can I get it? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Schwimmy 

• Yes, that is my Phantom on my back.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Schwimmy

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:18 PM

I am looking to get my brother a phantom, but I haven't been in the market for one for about six years. Because of this, I don't know who is currently good to get stuff from. I hear Wevo is down, and WWA never sent me the pump kit I bought a year back, so I guess they're down too. Other things I just need technical advice on, as I'm not familiar with some of the "newest advances in phantom technology". Feel free to throw in your opinion.

I want to get him a phantom with the following features:

45* Grips: I want to get some Stinger grips put on them. Tossup between Chuck Norris or Jesus Christ (is there a difference?).

Constant Air: 12 grams + him = no. He likes his 114/4500 tank with a remote. Not sure if I should look for one with the Vertical Air fixture or the ASA on the back of the tube (I suppose the one with the ASA on the back of the tube would be easier to disassemble).

Center Feed: I'd want to mod it with an Ego clamping feedneck. Alternatively, I could get a stock feed body and either put a PMP industries adapter or put a spyder feedneck with holes on it. I think the later looks better but requires some milling? If I did it that way, he'd still have the option of running with that 10 round tube?

Black: I might want to upgrade my own phantom to clone his.

No Stock: Doesn't normally use one and when he does he's got a longbow airthru to use.

Things I'm up in the air for are:

Barrels: I don't know what's currently out there. I see Lapcos, and I guess I could get him two different bores of those so he doesn't have rollouts...

Undercocking kit: Looks cool, but I don't know about their availability. Don't really want one that looks like an X from the front. Not sure I really want to get him one. Your opinion?

Sight Rail: Really like to have one. What's available?

What would be the most economic way of going about getting one (or two!) of the phantom's described above? Buy used and sell the one I have now? Get a new one and upgrade the one I have?

I currently have a phantom with an M16 grip, an ASA on the back of the body, the 10 round tube body and an 11" armson Pro barrel.

Thanks, Schwimmy.
Triad Infinite Scenario Squad

Sponsored by www.ANSgear.com

#2 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:37 PM

Contact Krazy8 on the forum here or any of the Irregulators. They are authorized dealers of CCI products and can hook you up and help you out with whatever you need. Krazy has gotten me two phantoms for PKJ now. Love him for that.

Vert air vs back bottle is a personal choice. Have him try one of each if he can. Most prefer VSC, but some just like the mojo of back bottle or even bottomline. If you go VSC the largest tank you can use is a 4 oz CO2 or 13 ci HPA tank. Anything larger and you can snap the trigger guard off. So keep that in mind. And bear in mind 4 oz of CO2 is like 250+ shots...multiple days of play

If you get a stock class feed body (Which i recommend as it's cheaper to get in the long run and get a seperate feed body on the side) you can do the PMP feedneck on it. Stuntman does it and loves it. I'd shy away from the spyder feedneck. Getting a SC feed body will cost more up front, but if you price out getting a Open class bodystock with a spare SC feed body, or a SC feed body stock with a spare OC body, the SC body with spare OC body is cheaper.

Black is stock phantom color. Nothing much to say. I'd recommend an acid wash anno just to be different...but to each their own. Acid is $30 for two colors, and $40 for matte instead of gloss

If he wants a stock but doesn't...get a bottomline for the phantom. And run a backbottle body with a bottomline kit. Then he can use the tank as a stock.

Stock barrel is the best you can get...thousands swear by it. Just get a set of detent rings to prevent roll outs. Or get a barrel bored for freak inserts. But honestly, stock barrel is the bomb. :P Detent ring sets are $5, get two just in case you lose them, very easy

Under cocking kit is personal preference. Some like teh stock over barrel pump, others like me like undercocking. If you get undercocking...mike from CCI now makes the old defunct Wevo kits, which are nice but small handle. The X kit is good. Rainman makes kits that use double guide rods for silky smooth action and use CCM pump handles. They are costly and hard to find. But worth it. He is making a run now, so you can get in if you want on MCB in the Rainman section. I just bought PKJ two kits, one for each of her phantoms, and am getting Becc one. They are smooth as silk

SC feedblocks have a dovetail rail built in, so any dovetail site will work, including ghost rings, which i love. Just be aware clear feedblocks can crack if you put too much weight on them, whereas the stock black delrin one is solid. :D If you get an open class body, you can mount a 2.5" dovetail rail or a 5" dovetail rail for $5-$10 on it. They mount to the valve body.

I always like buying new. That way you get exactly what you want. But if you want to have fun, search the pump sections on MCB and SCP and take a gander at all the phantoms for sale. There are some for any flavor you want. Just avoid PBN, they are over priced there and not in the best of conditions.

Hope that covered it all. If you got more questions, ask away. But yeah...talk to Krazy8...he will set you straight and help you out. :D

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#3 User is offline   Animal Mother 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:///Animal Mother///

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:44 PM

GREAT info Legato !!!

#4 User is offline   BAGELS 

• good stuff^
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I3agels

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:05 PM

New advances in phantom technology?

I don't think there are any, and that's why you should get one. :P

THE INVISI-SIG!
I have no sig, because I am cool like that.
I love my phantom, because it is cool like that....schweet

#5 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

Economically I think you should check out Mighty Mike's sale. bst

#6 User is offline   Legato 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

View PostBAGELS, on Jan 16 2010, 09:05 PM, said:

New advances in phantom technology?

I don't think there are any, and that's why you should get one. :P

Yeah the nelson hasn't really advanced much in 20 years. I mean yeah the newer Gargoyles and Carter stuff have some newer features and tweaks, but phantoms are the same they always have been..they have little need to change.

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#7 User is offline   Schwimmy 

• Yes, that is my Phantom on my back.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Schwimmy

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:23 PM

What's this about barrel boring? How much does that usually cost?

I also see this: http://www.airsoldier.com/mm5/merchant.mvc...Code=CCIPHANTOM
Triad Infinite Scenario Squad

Sponsored by www.ANSgear.com

#8 User is offline   Legato 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:24 AM

i have never done the barrle boring myself but i believe Twinky on the PHOG/Nathan Odell from Odell's paintball used to charge ~$20 for it.

The ASP Detent mod works fantastically. I know a few people using it. It's great.

#9 User is offline   Mighty Mike 

• The Aggorilla is watching you!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MightyMike0

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:20 AM

View Postslinkyaroo, on Jan 16 2010, 06:09 PM, said:

Economically I think you should check out Mighty Mike's sale. bst

Thanks for the free publicity :tup: it finally sold, but I ended up losing money in the long run.

Also Legato has everything covered I'd say. I loved the Dye UL barrel, but the stock barrel worked nice too and the detent rings are pretty nice.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users