Special Ops Paintball: I have a question for you Marines out there. - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

I have a question for you Marines out there. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Alexcaron700 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Trigger Alex

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:52 AM

I've been wanting to enlist in the Marines for a long time now, and I am now about to be tested for bi-polar disorder. I was wondering, if I am diagnosed with it, will I still be accepted by the Marines? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yes I found religion.
I found it to be completely worthless.

#2 User is offline   DCB 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:DCB

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:58 AM

Talk to your Doc first and see what he says. Then talk to the recruiter.

Best of luck!

Peace
DCB<><
CPPA #1092
Pump Gun Pimp #80
LPPC #164
Spec Ops Pump User#86
Feedback
Gallery

#3 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:08 AM

Bi-polar is a type of depression and requires medication. Depending on how bad yours is the meds can be pretty heavy. If I were you I wouldn't expect to be accepted into the military. Some of the things they will need to consider is how easily you'll be able to get your meds when you are over seas, how long will you be able to go with out taking them and will you still be able to preform your duties.

I applied to the military a few years ago and was rejected for asthma, food allergies, minor hearing loss, poor eye site, and being overweight. Each one on it's own isn't enough to keep a person out but combined?
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#4 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

I can't join the military because I have asthma. Not that I wanted to, but a recruiter called my house, and I told him "I don't want to hear from any more BOINKing recruiters." He then asked if I had asthma or anything like that, and I told him yes (I do have asthma) and he said I couldn't join because of that. He said they'd stop calling me.

Of course the Navy called the next day. I just hung up on him.
Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#5 User is offline   Zenglendo 

• [ELITE] Broadsword
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Zenglendo

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:24 PM

I told the Marine recuiter that I was moving to Haiti for 2 years, I'm not kidding you they called 2 years later...

#6 Guest_KRAZY ASSASIN_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:14 AM

Well as a former Marine, I have bad news to tell you that you will probably be rejected. When you go to M.E.P.S. they are trying find anything to reject you and if your do have bi-polar then it is a good chance they will.

#7 Guest_SaltandVinegar_*

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:16 AM

View PostZenglendo, on Jan 19 2008, 03:24 PM, said:

I told the Marine recuiter that I was moving to Haiti for 2 years, I'm not kidding you they called 2 years later...

:unsure:

#8 User is offline   Alexcaron700 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Trigger Alex

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:29 PM

View PostKRAZY ASSASIN, on Jan 20 2008, 11:14 AM, said:

Well as a former Marine, I have bad news to tell you that you will probably be rejected. When you go to M.E.P.S. they are trying find anything to reject you and if your do have bi-polar then it is a good chance they will.

damn, I gotta think about getting tested now
Yes I found religion.
I found it to be completely worthless.

#9 Guest_SaltandVinegar_*

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

View PostAlexcaron700, on Jan 20 2008, 01:29 PM, said:

View PostKRAZY ASSASIN, on Jan 20 2008, 11:14 AM, said:

damn, I gotta think about getting tested now

It depends... if your bi-polar and your like this kid I know... then don't expect to get in (He'll end up being the next jack the ripper.) If it is something you can control... well, you're on your own.

#10 User is offline   MotoSL 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:39 PM

Sounds grim, man... I have 12 years in the military... never heard of anyone with bi-polar disorder. Some guys act like they do.

But you have to realize:
Manic+Small Arms+Explosives=not good. I've seen alot of guys go nutso over girls cheating on them back home, or whatever, and is always a pretty bad situation. One guy held a loaded shot-gun under his jaw right in front of me out on a post once; He played it off as a joke, but it was pretty tense around him after that. I was always "condition 1" (locked and cocked) around him. Good luck, though.

#11 User is offline   dislexiclawyer 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:34 PM

Well I am in the Air Force and I have/ had depression. The way it worked for me was I had to be off of anti depressant medication for a year before I could even go to MEPS. Then when I got to MEPS the doctor there just asked me a few questions about my history. I suppose that because that was really the only thing wrong with me, the doctor recommended a waiver. So my recruiter sent the waiver in for me and it got approved. Although since I was on a a waiver there were certain jobs I couldn't do because some of them require you not to be on a waiver. Then once I was in basic we all had to take a psych questionnaire and depending on how you answer it you can get called in for questioning. So I got called in about a week or so later and basically told my time line and symptoms to the doctor there and he cleared me. I believe I talked to someone else while I was there but I don't really remember. I am not sure how similar the AF and Marines are in regards to admissions, but here is a success story straight from the horse's mouth.

#12 User is offline   MotoSL 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:37 PM

Bi-Polar and depression are different, though.

#13 User is offline   DCB 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:DCB

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:43 PM

Don't sign a waiver... could come back to bite you in the butt.

Peace
DCB<><
CPPA #1092
Pump Gun Pimp #80
LPPC #164
Spec Ops Pump User#86
Feedback
Gallery

#14 Guest_Mad johhny_*

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:15 PM

Not to steal your thread but what about people with diabetes can they still get into the armed forces.

#15 User is offline   DeadEye93 

• Total Resistance Paintball
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DEADEYE93

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:41 PM

i have sum questions, i had asthma but ive grown out of it, would they care about that? and im only allergic to nuts, is that a problem?
Total Resistance Scenario Paintball. Sponsored by Mission Masters.
http://www.trpb.net http://www.missionmasters.com
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, or that you didnt get the girl... your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth... live it... love it.

46% of teens engage in pre-marital sex. 89% drink before the age of 21. Put this in ur sig if you think that pandas are the chillest animal alive.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users