• You cannot reply to this topic

Training of a Broadsword From the start to finish Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   platinum marksman 

• paintballer
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:platinum marksman

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

I was told once, "one well placed shot is better than thirty." I've noticed that the reason most people define a position by the Spec Ops positions is not because its how they run their team, but that its what everybody knows. Nine out of ten people on this forum automatically know what I'm talking about when I say broadsword. Its easier to say broadsword than give a page description of your teammate and what he does on the field, because broadsword gives a description of what he does the most. Its easy really. Thanks guys. This is looking great. Keep it coming.

Lead, and if necessary, use words.

#17 User is offline   IcedNIGHT FOX 

• Santa's bringing some "Christmas joy" to al-Qaida
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:THE NIGHT FOX

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:02 AM

So I'm in almost an identicle situation. I'm a Commander who has recently got a Broadsword for my team. He is generally new to paintball and I know you are going to tell me to let him play alot, but I want to be able to kinda coach him along while he's learning so I can make sure he is learning the position properly and correctly. If you have any more tips similar to the ones aready mentioned here it would be great if you could post them.

Right now he is thinking of buying a BT4 Iron Horse for his primary marker. It has an Apex barrel, a bipod, very good ironsights, and a double trigger. The only real problem I have is the rate of fire. I know you can get things like a response trigger or a firestorm crank for the A5, but I was wondering if anybody here knew of anything that would work on the BT line?

Thanks.

#18 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sheriff_Matt

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:33 PM

View PostIcedNIGHT FOX, on Mar 12 2008, 12:02 PM, said:

So I'm in almost an identicle situation. I'm a Commander who has recently got a Broadsword for my team. He is generally new to paintball and I know you are going to tell me to let him play alot, but I want to be able to kinda coach him along while he's learning so I can make sure he is learning the position properly and correctly. If you have any more tips similar to the ones aready mentioned here it would be great if you could post them.

Right now he is thinking of buying a BT4 Iron Horse for his primary marker. It has an Apex barrel, a bipod, very good ironsights, and a double trigger. The only real problem I have is the rate of fire. I know you can get things like a response trigger or a firestorm crank for the A5, but I was wondering if anybody here knew of anything that would work on the BT line?

Thanks.

I would say maybe an E-Grip. That might be your best bet for that gun. However he'd also need an agitated hopper to keep up with the trigger.

Something I always like to teach the guys on my team is effective range. I go out with either a range finder or rope and tell them to find cover. Then from there I'll ask them where they think they could effectively cover. Then we measure it out and they see what reality is. I train them to know that effective range for cover fire(the maximum distance they can lay down cover fire and actually make people worry about it) is around 125 feet. The maximum range for effective eliminations is 75-100 feet. So then they know, in order to properly and effectively lay down cover fire they need to be within 125 feet of what they're going to be covering. Then, they also know that if they want to be able to hit what they're shooting, and know they can eliminate a player with as few shots as possible they need to be within 75-100 feet. A lot of them think they "know" what those distances look like, but once they actually see it, they go "Wow, that seems a lot closer than I thought.".

The distances can be varied depending on what your field is like, and what the chrono limit is. Usually I will tell my guys that they need to be at least within 75 feet of someone before they start shooting to kill. Any farther than that away and you're just going to spook the opfor into hiding and your job becomes 10x harder. So, as a rule I make them practice getting into that bubble before they start trying to eliminate someone.

This post has been edited by Sheriff Matt: 12 March 2008 - 12:36 PM

#19 User is offline   KILLSWITCH 

• OSF
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:K1LLSWITCH

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:55 PM

View PostIcedNIGHT FOX, on Mar 12 2008, 01:02 PM, said:

Right now he is thinking of buying a BT4 Iron Horse for his primary marker. It has an Apex barrel, a bipod, very good ironsights, and a double trigger. The only real problem I have is the rate of fire.

About the bt4 i have one the assault very similar to iron horse they are very good guns, but like sherriff matt said go with the egrip for sure and about the hopper they make the bt4 rip clip and also if you want even more firepower they make an APE RAMPAGE board that fits into the bt4 but is capable of 25bps as to where the stock is 13bps

#20 User is offline   IcedNIGHT FOX 

• Santa's bringing some "Christmas joy" to al-Qaida
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:THE NIGHT FOX

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

Thanks alot Matt! I will make sure to get him to look into those things aswell Duce. Is the rip clip like the cyclone feeder? From what I have been reading on it it seems so but if it isn't please let me know.

Thanks

#21 User is offline   KILLSWITCH 

• OSF
  • PipPip

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:31 PM

The bt rip clip is almost the same as the cyclone except it operates on batteries. Any cyclone hopper will work on the rip clip and vice versa.. I kind of like it better because it doesnt use up as much air as the cyclone and its alot easier to install.

#22 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:07 AM

View Post*MA DUCE*, on Mar 13 2008, 08:31 PM, said:

The bt rip clip is almost the same as the cyclone except it operates on batteries. Any cyclone hopper will work on the rip clip and vice versa.. I kind of like it better because it doesnt use up as much air as the cyclone and its alot easier to install.

I see this a lot, and I think what people fail to realize is that the cyclone does not use MORE air. It uses the excess air the marker was already using in the first place.

#23 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:24 AM

Ok if you want your player, you and your team to get better you first have to beable to communicate, secondly you have to break the stigma that you are locked into some position. The SO positions are created to sell product, if you have a player that only plays as a sniper, he's a weak link. A good player will be able to fill the need on the field but be comfortable in 1 location, that will either be front, mid or back. Now back players are the hub of the field, they keep the opposing players heads down while calling out locations. They command the field, with high volume of fire and the ability to typically take larger cover, further from the front and can see where the other team is. The mid player is responsible for most of the acutally game plan, they're in the think of it but have more range of freedom in the bunker. Mid players also have to be the most flexible player on the field able to jump to the front or the back to fill a hole or make a play. They're also responsible for indirect cover of the front players, the Back player can handle most of the front players danger areas but that mid player can cover the angles better then the rear. Now the front player, this is one position where physical size is a clear advantage, smaller the better. Front players have to fit into small spaces and stay tight to what ever cover they can get behind. They're the aggressors on the field, avoiding 50-50's and taking over the angles. Front players are typically the best gun fighters due to the fact that they rarely face a true 1-1 due to their location on the field, they rely heavily on their team for support, cover and info.

Best thing I can tell you is play, alot, with your team. Focus on the basics and communication, gun fighting skills are key, you can look and sound like Delta but unless you can shoot it ain't worth a darn. As far as gear, get something that shoots, well, don't upgrade components unless they break and first markers should never cost $300 throughout thier life.

#24 User is offline   KILLSWITCH 

• OSF
  • PipPip

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:55 PM

View PostSheriff Matt, on Mar 14 2008, 09:07 AM, said:

View Post*MA DUCE*, on Mar 13 2008, 08:31 PM, said:

I see this a lot, and I think what people fail to realize is that the cyclone does not use MORE air. It uses the excess air the marker was already using in the first place.

I never really knew that and what you say makes sense...but a ? for you why does the techt upgrade say that it takes down the psi from a minimum of 400psi on the stock version to a 150psi on the upgraded version just something i thought you might know and i have someone i play with that has the a5 and uses a 20oz tank and cant hit the response trigger sweet spot but goes through air quicker thank me and i have a e-grip, is it because the response uses air no matter what or does the cyclone use at least a little bit of air to operate?

This post has been edited by *MA DUCE*: 14 March 2008 - 08:56 PM

#25 User is offline   KILLSWITCH 

• OSF
  • PipPip

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:58 PM

And on what steed said im not a perfect all around player but i could go and play medium rifleman and a little dagger but on regards dont limit yourself to a single position it hinders your ability as a good player.

#26 User is offline   BONUSROUND 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BONUSROUND

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:39 AM

The Broadsword position changes a lot depending on the situations.

Let’s talk about gear first:
1)Marker needs to fire 15BPS to 20 BPS. 15 being SPPL’s BPS limit and 20 BPS for the fun of it.
2)You need a harness or a vest that will carry enough paint to feed the marker you’re firing as well as all the other gear. 6, 140 pods and more.

Now what type of games is your team playing and what is the time limit?
1)10 on 10 SPPL style.
2)Walk on games 5 on 5 or 30 on 30.
3)Full all out scenario of 100 on 100 (being small) or 250 on 250 (mid range) or 1000+ on 1000+ (very large)
Are you attacking or defending or both? How many people are on the team?

All of these factors dictate how your broadsword will position himself in the team. In military terms the broadsword is like the guy carrying the “M60” or the “SAW” not the MP5, M14, M16, or others. “Yes, I know that all paintball markers fire at about same distance and there are no armor piercing rounds but that is not the point.” The point is to be able to lay down a “sustainable, suppressive fire” that will not only keep people’s heads down but will keep people from crossing open ground and over running your position. This takes firepower, lots of firepower. The broadsword needs to learn when to lay down the paint and when to conserve. The team needs to communicate to him where they need the most firepower. Communication is the lifeblood of the broadsword--both "from" the front players as well as "to" the front players!

Here are 3 sample tactics that I have used as a broadsword:

1)Attack: The broadsword stays in the back until first contact has been made. Then he moves forward to look for several things (1-lay down suppressive fire so the team can advance or flank, 2 flank around himself and take out the opposition himself or cause them to retreat.) whatever can do the most damage

2)Defend: Once again the broadsword is in the thick of it--not on the front line per say but as the heavy gunner back up. He needs a position that will allow him to cover as many angles as possible to lay down a wall of paint of which the opposition can’t cross, preventing a charge.

3)The lone gunman: This is most people’s nightmare, not mine. When a player becomes good at all positions he is the most dangerous. He gathers the knowledge from all the positions and combines them to the situation at hand. In an ambush situation the broadsword can be devastating. I once took on a squad of 15 guys by myself. I was well hidden and they all walked 5 feet from me. They walked into a clearing and 10 walked a crossed a footbridge. When the last 5 were on the footbridge I struck. I shot the person on the far side of the footbridge first (this sealed the exit for the last four) and raked my fire back towards the last person on my side of the bridge. The shear panic that was caused was fantastic. The opposition got shot up from a secure position, couldn’t cross the bridge until their eliminated teammates got off, and they didn’t know where to fire back at because when I opened up, their backs were towards me. Yes, I did hightail it out of there because I had no support.

When being a broadsword you should be the last one to get to the firefight, but everyone should know when you join in! (sorry about the length)

This post has been edited by BONUSROUND: 16 March 2008 - 10:54 AM

Audacity is a sword that needs to be drawn from time to time.
http://www.specialopspaintball.com/brigade...ew.asp?id=46213

#27 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:28 AM

View Post*MA DUCE*, on Mar 14 2008, 09:55 PM, said:

I never really knew that and what you say makes sense...but a ? for you why does the techt upgrade say that it takes down the psi from a minimum of 400psi on the stock version to a 150psi on the upgraded version just something i thought you might know and i have someone i play with that has the a5 and uses a 20oz tank and cant hit the response trigger sweet spot but goes through air quicker thank me and i have a e-grip, is it because the response uses air no matter what or does the cyclone use at least a little bit of air to operate?

Well, when you have a combination of the response trigger AND the cyclone feed, you get them fighting for that extra air. But, as far as I know this doesn't mean they use more air.

The operating pressure of the cyclone is around 400PSI, stock. When you get the techt mods it doesn't require as much pressure to function optimally. The techt mods make the cyclone feed MUCH more efficient, and will allow it to perform better, but does not do anything about how much air your marker is using.

#28 Guest_PhantomAssassin_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:16 AM

View PostBONUSROUND, on Mar 15 2008, 03:39 AM, said:

1)Attack: The broadsword stays in the back until first contact has been made. Then he moves forward to look for several things (1-lay down suppressive fire so the team can advance or flank, 2 flank around himself and take out the opposition himself or cause them to retreat.) whatever can do the most damage

2)Defend: Once again the broadsword is in the thick of it--not on the front line per say but as the heavy gunner back up. He needs a position that will allow him to cover as many angles as possible to lay down a wall of paint of which the opposition can’t cross, preventing a charge.

3)The lone gunman: This is most people’s nightmare, not mine. When a player becomes good at all positions he is the most dangerous. He gathers the knowledge from all the positions and combines them to the situation at hand. In an ambush situation the broadsword can be devastating. I once took on a squad of 15 guys by myself. I was well hidden and they all walked 5 feet from me. They walked into a clearing and 10 walked a crossed a footbridge. When the last 5 were on the footbridge I struck. I shot the person on the far side footbridge first (this sealed the exit for the last four) and raked my fire back towards the last person on my side of the bridge. The shear panic that was caused was fantastic. The opposition got shot up from a secure position, couldn’t cross the bridge until their eliminated teammates got off, and they didn’t know where to fire back at because when I opened up, their backs were towards me. Yes, I did hightail it out of there because I had no support.

The "Lone Gunman" works really well. When running the Ambush Defense your defense will make a "U" shape on the field. The Broadsword should be at the tip of the "U". It works very nicely.

#29 User is offline   KILLSWITCH 

• OSF
  • PipPip

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:23 AM

View PostSheriff Matt, on Mar 15 2008, 09:28 AM, said:

View Post*MA DUCE*, on Mar 14 2008, 09:55 PM, said:

Well, when you have a combination of the response trigger AND the cyclone feed, you get them fighting for that extra air. But, as far as I know this doesn't mean they use more air.

The operating pressure of the cyclone is around 400PSI, stock. When you get the techt mods it doesn't require as much pressure to function optimally. The techt mods make the cyclone feed MUCH more efficient, and will allow it to perform better, but does not do anything about how much air your marker is using.

That clears it up thats what i was wondering that makes but i guess for techt its kinda a marketing tool then to say that especially when there are ppl like me that dont know any better but the upgrade is still useful thanks for the info.

#30 User is offline   mchainmail 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mchainmail

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:37 AM

View Post*MA DUCE*, on Mar 15 2008, 01:23 PM, said:

That clears it up thats what i was wondering that makes but i guess for techt its kinda a marketing tool then to say that especially when there are ppl like me that dont know any better but the upgrade is still useful thanks for the info.

It gets rid of one of the most annoying things in paintball; when your tank is almost out, the cyclone stops feeding and makes you do it by hand. It's incredibly annoying to be caught unaware like that.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users