• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

wanting to get a pistol Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   psycho91 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:15 AM

ok im wanting to get a pistol but dont know which to get iv heard that the tiberious 8 is the best but i dont like the way it looks and iv heard that the grip is big and i have small hands and heard that it would be a hassle for me, i was looking at the RAP4 T68 gen 3 pistol because you can upgrade the parts on it and make it your own, im looking at making it my primary if that helps any

#2 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:54 AM

Truthfully, the Tac8 is the best quality pistol available... hands down.

The Warsensor/Zeus/Armotech pistols are all basically the same thing (the Rap4 is I think an Ariakon, just rebranded). The grip on these will be smaller because the paint & air are elsewhere, but the overall size of the marker is much larger. They have slightly different features that cause players to choose one over the other, but for the most part they operate the same way.

The TPX is a newer option from Tippmann & has a smaller grip because just the paint is housed in it. The initial release had problems w/ the co2 cartridge not piercing completely & mags loading paint incorrectly. They have issued an update that fixes the co2 problem but nothing w/ the mag yet - you may want to let Tippmann release a TPX version 2 before you consider it.

If I were making one of these my primary, it would probably be the TPX w/ remote hookup. That way I wouldn't have to worry about running out of air & I could carry a bunch of mags because they are cheaper than the tac8's.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#3 User is offline   psycho91 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:01 AM

well i dont want to spend that much on a pistol i found a tac8 for $115 and the rap4 for $130, yeah i heard thats another bad thing about the tac8 is the mags are so expensive

#4 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:57 PM

Despite the expense, I'd have to recommend the Tiberius.

The TPX has had too many problems, though I like the remote option for it.
Member of Team Akkadian

#5 User is offline   Gilla 

• Action shot!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:gilla

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:50 PM

The remote line on the TPX is the best around, but they have bugs to work through first as mentioned above.

The Tac 8 is what I have and I like it. It is harder to work with for smaller paws but dollar for dollar an excellent investment.

The others I haven't used so I won't offer an uninformed opinion.

As a side note- If I had it to do over I think I'd get a tac 9. Both pistol and rifle with many different firing set ups. Of course, the price goes up too.
Who flung poo?

#6 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:25 PM

Does it need to be semi-auto? If not I would highly recommend looking at either PGPs or Splatmasters. They'll prove to be much more efficient and consistent than other unregulated semi-auto pistols. Their simpler design also ends up being much less problematic.

If you do feel you need something semi-automatic, PMI USPs are good non-expensive option. They're a stacked tube blowback in design. They have the same isses with velocity shootdown, inconsistency, and general inefficiency as other blowback models, but are relatively well built for the price. Zeus pistols are made a bit nicer, but are of the same design, and more expensive.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#7 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:18 PM

i have a Overlord by Ariakon..

its not the best.. its not the worse.. it does what it needs too.. co2 jams if you use the wrong kind.. Action Village and the field i go to seem to have the only ones that dont jam..

i would like to upgrade to a TPX, but i think thats gonna be a while before i do it.
Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#8 User is offline   jag06 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:jag06

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:05 PM

Tac 8 is a great gun. I have 2, baught one and won one. Rarly ever gives you a problem, easy to clean and maintain. I have talked with a few people who have a TPX and they said since Tippmann has released the updated co2 puncture to fix the problem they have said it works great now without any jams.
My Feedback +7/-0 Gore Family Paintball field
Digitally Dangerous member #3

#9 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

I've used/own stacked tube blow back pistols, Tiberius pistols, and a TPX.

For now, ignore the TPX. They had issues with the pretty much every internal component. Most of which are now fixed. However the mag design is terrible. Unless your paint has a very strong shell, the mags jam. The staggered ball alignment causes there to be more pressure between balls which causes the shell to dimple and deform, which leads to the mags jamming and not feeding paint.

Blow backs like the RAP4 aren't that good. They are inefficient and all around troublesome. I'd avoid them for anything but messing around with in your backyard.

The Tiberius Tac 8 just hands down works the best. Costs more, mags are expensive. But the mags actually feed every paint reliably. If you want a pistol that just works and works well every time, the Tiberius is the one to buy. Yes the grip is big. It's not enormous, but big. You can shave and stipple your grips (use some sand paper, and then use a soldering iron to melt divots into the composite). The stippling gives you a much better grip and makes it feel smaller since you get a better hold on it.

#10 User is offline   paintman161 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:paintman161

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:19 AM

I also have used the Tac8 and with small hands it is hard to release the mag, it almost should be on the other side, the saftey is a little weird as well.

The TPX hand grip did not feel right to me felt big and odd to hold, and beside all the issues with it, it is not worth it.

Now as for the stack tube ones i have used a ptx and the grip seems right also it does what it needs to and it shoots, plus much easier to load from 10 rnd tubes. i have tried a Zues it is very heavy, front heavy that is, i also forgot to mention a PGP pistol, i own one and out of all the pistol it is the best, very accurate!

I would say if your on a budget get one of the stacked tube pistols, they work, and research around to which one is best for you and read reviews on them to see what is reliable.

If you are not on a budget and get past the grip size on the TAC 8 then go for it, but it is not for me.

(I based my comparioson on using a real handgun, i compare the size, and how it feels and of course how it shoots, also taking into consideration that it is using a .68 cal paintball)

Just my 2 cents

This post has been edited by paintman161: 06 November 2009 - 07:10 PM

#11 User is offline   Bagheera 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Bagheera

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:36 PM

I don't know how much of a tinkerer you are, but you may want to look into building a pistol based off an Automag, it's fairly easy, or buying one that's already been made. Noxx has some great spring fed tubes to keep that semi-auto magazine action going. The downside is that the CO2 and paintballs are separate from each other, and not in the same magazine. The upside is that it's fairly inexpensive, and it's tube fed so you don't have to worry about the price of magazines. If you really like playing pistol and want to go really hardcore, then you can get yourself a Tiberius.

WTB Tac-One Warp Right Body

"No such thing as a paintball sniper? I can see how you'd think that, but remember, just because you can't see us, doesn't mean we don't exist." - AnEchoSoldier

#12 User is offline   Erickson 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:53 PM

A friend of mine use to have couple of pistols. The best one that he had was his Zeus. He had an old Delta that all ways gave him problems with gas leaking. He has also had the Overlord which is basically a Zeus. When I can afford to get a paintball pistol myself I'm going to try for a Zeus or an Overlord.

#13 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:16 AM

Like Jackson, I've gone through pretty much every pistol on the market (Tac-8, Tac-9, 2 ACP 2.0s, Zeus G2+, first-run TPX and one sweet damn PPS Squall), and agree that the Tac-8 is the best overall, but it's also a damn pricey unit and requires either infinite patience or a lot of money to run in a large game.

The Tac-8 needs at least 3 mags to be truly effective on the field. You can reload each mag once on the same 12-gram, but reloading the 12-grams on the field sucks. Especially considering that, when playing with a pistol, you've pretty much gotta be nuts-deep in the game at any given time, and as soon as someone hears that 'PFFFT!' of releasing a 12-gram, your asking for a bunkering. 3 mags for your average walk-on game or small scenario will generally give you what you need. If you want to play in a bigger scenario, though, you'll need a LOT more. I'd say at least 6, or get used to falling back to reload a bunch.

However, that setup gets expensive, and fast. At $40 a mag and $200 or so for the gun package (New, obviously), you can easily spend $500 on a good Tac-8 setup. Worth it, definitely, but still pricey.

If you're on a budget, then STBBs are...not bad, but not as accurate. However, their mags are 3 for $30 generally. Functionally, they're all the same, but I've found that ACPs crap out their pierce pins on an alarmingly regular basis. (Both mine are out of commission right now, they both need complete rebuilds. And a CO2 plug...). The Zeus G2+ doesn't have this problem, nor does the RAP4 version. Surprisingly, unlike most of cRAP4's gear, their pistol is actually pretty decent, and definitely the most upgradeable of all of them. Also the most expensive, though, and most of the upgrades are of dubious use. (Like the E-Grip-very, very nifty in concept, but the third time you find yourself reloading because you blew out a whole mag on ramping while giggling like a schoolgirl starts to wear on you.)

The TPX would be the ideal pistol...if it worked. Mags are cheap, CO2 is quick, in theory to change, it's light and cheap...but the CO2 can't be changed unless it's almost empty, the mags are a bit fragile and prone to jamming, the thing leaks like a sieve if you look at it the wrong way and it blows to clean.

Honestly, if you're wanting a pistol just for a sidearm-don't. It'll be a waste of money. If you want a pistol to play pistol primary, then go all-out and do it right, with a Tiberius, or don't do it at all. Spend the money and cry once instead of cheaping out and crying often.

#14 User is offline   Painto 

• KHS
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:KHS

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:18 PM

Yeah, listen to these guys. The two I would recommend are the Miltec/Zeus/Overlord (they're all almost the same, I think). I had the Miltec, it was a good pistol, unbalanced and a little bulky, but it barely broke and was fairly accurate. The pistol I have now (I play only pistol) is the Kingman Chaser. It's nice, it has a magazine for .43 caliber balls, it's around two pounds. The accesories are expensive, but it's worth it. The grip isn't oversized, like in T8 and TPX pistols. I've heard a few complaints about the performance of the TPX and the Tiberius is expensive. So, since you have small hands I would go with either the Chaser (or Eraser, which is just heavier) or a Miltec/Zeus/Overlord. Or, if you wanted to go with something different, you could go with a pump pistol.

#15 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:40 AM

Keep in mind, many fields won't even allow the Chaser because they don't carry .43 paint.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users