Special Ops Paintball: Need help choosing which wood .45 grip looks best - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need help choosing which wood .45 grip looks best On my Green/Black Acid Wash VSC Phantom Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Wood Grips (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Which looks best on my Green/Black VSC Phantom?

1. Buckeye Burl (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. Desert Ironwood Burl (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

3. Spalted Maple (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Maple Burl (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Camphor Burl (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Koa (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

7. Gabon Ebony (4 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

8. Other (please specify, preferably with picture) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 User is offline   Mike68 

• "Have a sense of preservation!"
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:09 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 25 August 2010 - 08:49 AM, said:

View PostLegato, on 25 August 2010 - 12:15 AM, said:

Tough call. Whatever you get will look good. If you want some finger grooves for those wood grips get some of these. Pearce finger groove inserts. They go under the grips and give you a nice finger grooved front for comfort. I hate panel grips alone. But with these they are great. :D Have em on my Mini Comp with my Alumagrips.

Good call on those inserts! I was thinking about that too, but I figured I would just try the panels alone first to see.

And thanks Mike! That doesn't look bad at all despite the reds! Haha I will admit I'm curious about the Blue/Purple Box Elder Burl ;) but no worries about that one haha.

Would you mind showing me the second Spalted Maple? Thanks :)

Here you go:

Posted Image
"My greatest fear is that when I die, no one will remember me."

-Some dead guy

#17 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

Hmmm definitely not I think haha...

Hmm so Legato you say making them ISN'T easy? I don't see why not but if that's true it's probably better for me to buy a pistol grip made already...

Though this seems nice (Box Elder Dyed Green)

This post has been edited by cdrinkh20: 25 August 2010 - 04:31 PM

#18 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

I'd like to get a set of marble grips for my phantom... but I can't even get the marble I want in Canada...
Posted Image

The other problem is I don't have the tools or skills to carve them. Have you considered something other than wood?
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#19 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

Hmm no not yet but I don't plan on buying until next year probably - but I'm looking for something that will smooth out with use (ie. "get better" in a way).

I saw stuff I assume was fake ivory but from what I've seen darker stuff would go better...I also saw some leather ones patterned/coloured to look like alligator on that site you posted ;) haha not my thing though.

#20 User is offline   Mike68 

• "Have a sense of preservation!"
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 25 August 2010 - 06:21 PM, said:

Hmm no not yet but I don't plan on buying until next year probably - but I'm looking for something that will smooth out with use (ie. "get better" in a way).

I saw stuff I assume was fake ivory but from what I've seen darker stuff would go better...I also saw some leather ones patterned/coloured to look like alligator on that site you posted ;) haha not my thing though.

In my opinion the Ebony grips look the best. They may not stand out as much, but that's why I like them. They're understated, like the Phantom itself. I'm considering a pair for mine.

Posted Image

If I was you, I wouldn't buy buy grips that are light-colored. I don't think they really go with the green/black color scheme. Just my opinion though.
"My greatest fear is that when I die, no one will remember me."

-Some dead guy

#21 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

Straight black looks good but I feel like at the moment I am set on something more exotic - perhaps because it goes with the acid wash, in a way.

#22 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:17 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 25 August 2010 - 07:30 PM, said:

Hmm so Legato you say making them ISN'T easy? I don't see why not but if that's true it's probably better for me to buy a pistol grip made already...

They aren't like an impossible task. Once you make a few they are easy. But if you haven't done it and don't work with those types of rarer woods then expect to piss through a few sets that you ruin learning how to do it right. You can make em on your own, yes. You just need the wood working skills and machinery to do it. Most people don't have those nowadays. Not saying you don't, but the average guy doesnt
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#23 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:42 AM

View PostLegato, on 25 August 2010 - 11:17 PM, said:

View Postcdrinkh20, on 25 August 2010 - 07:30 PM, said:

They aren't like an impossible task. Once you make a few they are easy. But if you haven't done it and don't work with those types of rarer woods then expect to piss through a few sets that you ruin learning how to do it right. You can make em on your own, yes. You just need the wood working skills and machinery to do it. Most people don't have those nowadays. Not saying you don't, but the average guy doesnt

Yeah I definitely didn't get to do industrial arts in highschool :( (it was "full" and so they told me wait til grade 11 to get into intro course and then it was "full" of grade 10's!). I did some metal stuff (forging, foundry) in junior high but meh.

My girlfriend's dad has quite a few tools in his garage but he's kind of just self taught (he was an electrician for a while, so carpentry isn't his trade, though he is pretty good!).

Yeah, it's more cost effective for me to stick with premade grips :( lol

#24 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:34 PM

I know it's been a while, but I got into another serious search to see if I could find a place with pre-made grips with more variety...this place I found sells Python, Rattlesnake, Lizard, STINGRAY, and even Shark skin grips o.0

http://shop.thefiner...99&categoryId=2

Not sure I'd put it on my Phantom but I thought it might interest some.
Any thoughts on good exotic wood (stabilised please) pistol grip/scale sites?

#25 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:14 AM

Finally made some purchases - I saw some buckeye burls I had liked but they disappeared before I could decide....

I like those because I found a sold set of Buckeye Burl grips that made me realise how dark they COULD look.

Posted Image

So I grabbed these (dark acrylic dyed) Stabilised Maple Burl:

Posted Image

And because I wanted a set with natural wood feel, some Ceylon Ebony:

Posted Image

What do you guys think? B)

#26 User is offline   Legato 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:06 PM

Looks good to me. :D Post up pics when done.
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#27 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:00 AM

Could be a while with working on my thesis (for UNDERGRAD o.0) -_-

I went back to look at the ebony site for prices on making a pump handle too...but it's like $40 to $60 for a piece 1.1" by 2.2" :P

And I already spent like $70 with shipping getting the two sets...and I'll need Tung oil etc. to finish those so probably not for a while if I do go through with it :( lol....

I remember seeing another member on here posting a picture of a custom set of grips/pump handle they did...I thought the handle looked really cool (had holes I think, and finger grooves). It sat under the barrel though; might be harder to go around the barrel with the Phantom (don't really want undercocking).

I wonder if there would be a way to put teflon or delrin in there (I could probably sand it out and fit a ring in there for that). Would teflon work better?

I love how I keep necroing this thread. Anyways, I have received the stabilised stuff so hopefully I'll get a chance to start work on it (my girlfriend's dad will be helping me out as he has most of the tools and loves these sorts of projects - he helped me with a shield for a scenario last year).

#28 User is offline   Legato 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:27 PM

You are thinking of Pyrate Jim's custom grips and pump on his phantom. They are indeed sweet. XD

#29 User is offline   Locknpump 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:10 AM

That ebony looks great :P

This post has been edited by Locknpump: 21 January 2011 - 09:12 AM

#30 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

Haha thank you sir - haven't really got many more chances to work on these, so I still need to curve the pieces to makes them rounded on the grip side, then finely sand them after...and then finish with tung oil. Otherwise, outside shaping is pretty much done. But... that's only for the ebony.

Figure when I get around the other wood I'll put it on my Tac One :) it's hard cause I end up doing schoolwork every night til like 9pm or later, and my girlfriend's dad works nights as a bus driver. So, it could be a while :(

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users