• Elite Broadsword
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Acara

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:15 PM

View PostSandman 5150, on Mar 5 2008, 09:35 AM, said:

View PostGdude2008, on Mar 4 2008, 09:02 PM, said:

View PostSchloob, on Feb 28 2008, 11:01 PM, said:

Just so everyone knows. I will not cancell a qualifer this year. They will all go down. I am suprised too that more teams have not showed up. This is usually one of our best events and Billy always does an amazing job.

I would like to know why some teams aren't going. I will make another post to this effect. It would be interesting to find out why. We are always trying to do out best to make the league better and I think we have made some great strides this year. Check out my other post on this issue to make comments and let me know your suggestions.

I'll say this as myself and my views or statements do not reflect that of anyone but myself.
Remember what happened to Joy Division with the NPPL? They left the league due to the refereeing. I, as well as many others know reffing isn't the most glamorous job on earth. (I reff weekly at my local field) During last year's Southeast Qualifier the reffing staff provided was biased towards most teams who were not the field's sponsored teams.
Again, my views and opinions are my own and does not reflect that of my team/sponsors/affiliates :mellow:

Well, Jayson is doing is best this year to get the reffing dilemma rectified. I have had previous concerns during the previous SPPL Qualifiers and Finals. I played with Gridlock during previous seasons and have a new team "Regime" (75% of the old Gridlock) that will be competing in the Elite division.

With that being said, it is up to us as players to step up and help this league grow in size and legitimise. This year besides competing in 2 to 3 qualifiers and the finals. I also will be Head reffing Georgia, Tennessee and New York this year. I know many other players are doing the same. If you have concerns come out and help ref some events, not just head ref, but be part of the field staff. Teams like the Irregulators and many others are doing so. They and many others have really made a difference in the events they have done this in.

Plus, with this years rule changes. It should alleviate a lot of the problems that happened on the field in previous years.

On another note, Curt is XF going to be at this qualifier. If so may be we can get together for Dinner on Friday night. It's always good to see a fellow WOLVERINE!

If not, maybe I will see you at the ELITE WEEKEND. Third I and I will be instructors this year, HA HA

Sorry Mike ... fried the computer a few weeks back & just now getting back up and running.

Unfortunately I won't be at SE qual this year. Irony is when the guy who makes qualifiers 1800 miles away doesn't make it to his own qualifiier ...LOL

Mrs. Acara has let me play PB on/during birthdays, wedding anniversaries & vacations for the last 10 years .... so I'm going to actually take a small break & go on a cruise with my wife this month.

No worries, I'll be back on the circuit & catch up with you guys after we get back.

#32 User is offline   Acara 

• Elite Broadsword
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:44 PM

As far as the past problems with refs ...

Point taken .... I was on the losing end of a couple of those as team commander, but please remember that the "questionable calls" were made by a few individuals ......and people are human.

However, I also saw the field owner of LCP challlenge callls made on his field ..... despite the fact that they could have jeopardized his teams chances of placing. In one particular instance he challenged a call made against one of my players with video footage from one of the observers, despite the fact that LCP Army and XF have always placed within 1 place of each other every year. I really don't think someone with a secret agenda would have had a meltdown on a ref and protest that vigorously, when keeping his mouth shut would have been in his home teams best interest.

I'm kinda catching up on the thread here, but it looks like there's going to be an all-star line up on the ref squad for SE qual. I'm sure Mike, Jim and Curtis will take good care of everyone on the field this year. I've taken my turn wearing the SPPL head field ref jersey and you can keep the job, it's way too much work for my taste :unsure:

#33 User is offline   Acara 

• Elite Broadsword
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:45 AM

Hope everyone is okie ...GA weather does not look like it is being very accomodating

#34 User is offline   Editor 

• Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Editor

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:15 PM

View PostAcara, on Mar 15 2008, 12:45 PM, said:

Hope everyone is okie ...GA weather does not look like it is being very accomodating

I was wondering about that, Acara. Came in here to see if anyone had reported. The tornado was closer to Atlanta than Savannah, however, so that didn't hit them. But they may have gotten winds and rain. :P I hope not!!! I sooo wish I could have been there. :(

#35 User is offline   Lomarandil 

• SPPL Junkie -- BlackLight Company
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lomarandil

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:09 AM

To revive annual tradition... :)

Do we know any results yet?

Now?

Ok, how about now?

Come on guys, the prelims are over now.. you've gotta know something..

:P
Lo

#36 User is offline   JayRecball 

• Ref/Player
  • PipPip

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:39 AM

ha, im checkin every hour for updates myself :laugh:

#37 User is offline   STS1 

• Dad
  • Pip

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:06 PM

The winners from the Georgia Qualifier, Rookie Division Xtreme Behavior, Masters Division GTF Allstars, Elite Division Black and Blue Krew
ITS MY ISLAND

#38 User is offline   MURPH 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:23 PM

anyone know the scores, who won sportsmanship. Any comments on how the new rules and field set up worked.
Posted Image

#39 User is offline   Jim@APE 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Jim@APE

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:32 PM

I want to thank all of the players for a very well played weekend. Other then a screw up (by me I take all the blame) on the very first game, I think the rest of the games went great.

Thank you players for being great sports even when you thought things were not going your way.

I want to say a big congrads to GTF Allstars for their Sportsmanship award and their B team was right on their heels for that award as well.

I will say after all my years in paintball GTF has to be some of the most stand up players that I ever have seen. If all the players were like them, our jobs as refs would be easy.

Dont get me wrong everyone played a great game and other then the normal aggravation (when you are losing a game) it all went smooth.

Thanks to the refs I had on Field One (The APE Field) You guys rocked. It made my job real easy and I would be honored to have you guys (and girl) Ref for me anytime.

Dive

Home of the RAMPAGE BOARD

"If you have to cheat to win, learn to play"

#40 Guest_PaleRider_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:00 PM

The weather was awsome but It was 35 when I left Utah soo 70 sounded great

I was very excited to see how the new format would play out. After watching a few games
and looking at the score, I could quickly see that the new division made it better and the
new game fomat made it so the fields were more even. many of the teams, after getting behind in the first half
came back in the second half. There are a few minor kinks to work out but over all I was very pleased with
the way the game format worked.

Most of the concerns of the past have been addressed. We check every hopper marker combo
before they go on the field, Player rosters and Player cards were check each game. We chronoed before each game
and spot checked a few. The addtion of 2 dead boxes on each side helped speed up the game turn around time and the
new objectives have made to the game more exciting , i.e. the dirty bomb is the awsome.

I love going to Low county paint ball in the sping and really look forward to the finals this year.
Billy's fields (lo country paintball) should be the standard for all fields.

#41 User is offline   mclaggan123 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:mclaggan123

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:05 PM

I'm chris from the GTF Corps (Allstars). Jim thank you for the kind words. The corps believes in playing the sport for the love of the game and because its fun. We strive to play with the attitude and fairness the way the game is meant to be played. We thank the the SPPL and its staff for the sportsmanship award because we belive it is the most important award there is. The sportsmanship award tells us that no matter what happened that we played the game with honor and integrety. The SPPL has made some great changes this year and so far it has been an improvement compaired to last year. We would like to thank Jason and the rest of his staff to include the refs for a great SE qualifier this year. The only thing that we didnt like was that not many teams were there to play. The teams that were there played awsome ball and I think they deserve some recognition for there sportmanship. Last but not least I would like to say that the refs did a great job at this event. There were a few hickups but then again there will always be hickups. The refs did the best they could and as a player I cant ask for anything more.

On a differant note i would like to remind people that refs are only human and as humans do they will make mistakes. All we can ask for is that we learn from our mistakes and try not to make the same ones again. If you have reffed paintball in the past then you know how hard it is. So please have some patience and give the reffs some slack because there only human and there trying there best.

#42 User is offline   splat_life 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:10 PM

As a long time player I want to congratulate all the teams that placed at the Georgia qualifier, and encourage those that didn't to keep working. I heard quite a bit about the event from some members of Xtreme Behavior, whom I support. I know they put in countless hours of practice preparing for the event, at times playing teams well above their skill level in an effort to get tips, tactics, and ideas. My hat goes off to the members of the GTF All Stars for the Sportsmanship award, as well as the members of GTFB who competed with XB in the "rookie" division. Several members of XB commented on the honor and integrity of your team, as well as saying that you were their toughest opponent.

I was disappointed to learn that XB and GTFB were snubbed by the SPPL in regards to an awards package for their 1st and 2nd place finishes. Rule #31 posted on the SPPL site clearly reads, “Prize Packages: Teams that score in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Sportsmanship Award will be awarded a prize package. The team voted “Best Sportsmanship” By the referee’s and fellow competitors will be awarded a prize package that is equal to the 1st place prize package in value at each qualifier event and the National Championship.” These teams paid the same as the higher divisions, spent the same on paint, and made the same trip to compete yet were denied their prizes.

I welcome anyone else's thoughts on this matter, which I consider an injustice to both XB and GTFB....

#43 User is offline   MURPH 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:03 PM

i believe (please correct me if i am wrong) but both these teams played in the rookie division. Jayson and the sppl have made it no secret (mentioned several times on multiple forums and blast radius) that the rookie divsion would not be in the running for the same prize packages as the masters and elite teams. One of the reasons being is he did not want more skilled teams playing down just to win a prize package playing against teams just starting out. Both these teams proved there skill and dedication and have been reconized for it. The new divisons are helping new teams intergrate a liitle easier into this league. They have this opportunity to gain the experience to play this league and master it before moving up in the ranks. If the sppl promised great big prize packages to the rookie division and then did not deliver i could understand the dissapointment but that's not the case here. The sppl didn't "snub" them as it was known since the creation of these ldivisions that the rookies would not be battling for prizes, but for experience and bragging rights. We will see them in the masters division shorly where they can show their skill and determination and hopfully earn a prize package.

This post has been edited by MURPH: 17 March 2008 - 11:05 PM

Posted Image

#44 User is offline   splat_life 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:22 AM

Yes, both the XB and GTFB teams played in the "rookie" division, which is where they qualified. Although it may be "known" to you and some others that they would not be elligible for prizes, that is not what is stated in the rules. Although in my first post I quoted rule #31, I learned that that by the 2008 rules it is rule #28. None the less, the rule does not state that "rookie" teams do not qualify. Obviously I can't speak for GTFB because I don't know them, but XB was not aware because they have never competed or participated in any way with the SPPL or any other league for that matter. If it is common knowledge that new teams would not be elligible, perhaps that is why entries are falling. Why would new teams pay the same as everyone else just to come play for bragging rights? Bottom line is either follow your own posted rules, or start charging less for the "experience" of playing the event. Both those teams deserve something other than a medaillion that couldn't even bother to spell the primary sponsor's name correctly (Tippmann) on the back.

#45 User is offline   BigJeeezy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:10 AM

I would just like to say thank you to everyone who planned, organized, worked and played the SE Qualifier. We had a great time and always love playing Billy's field. Thank you Jim for your comments about both our Rookie and Masters teams. We have put together a great group of guys and gals and I am very proud of all of them for playing hard stand up ball with a smile on their face and kind words to their opponents. It has been an honor and a privilage to be part of 3 Sportsmanship awards over the last 2 years in the SPPL, Frontal Assault-'07 SE Qual, GTF Corps All-Stars-'07 Michagan Qual., and GTF Corps-'08 SE Qual. I am more proud of these 3 awards than any of the placement awards we have received. Again, thank you to everyone that made the SE Qualifier a great event.

Big Jeeezy
Captain GTF Corps

P.S. Splat_Life...I know how the rules read, but Jayson did inform me that my rookie team would only receive medallions. Sebastian, Rocky, Trevor and the rest of XB played their butts of and they probably do deserve some compensation for that, but if they keep up their level play they will definately be one of the front runners for the masters division next year. I hope this does not deter them from playing the finals as they are one of the leaders for the rookie division and the main team my rookies are looking to play again.

This post has been edited by BigJeeezy: 18 March 2008 - 08:11 AM

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users